ImageImage

How do the Hawks get better defensively?

Moderators: dms269, HMFFL, Jamaaliver

What needs to happen to fix the defense?

Better Effort
8
22%
Better Coaching
5
14%
Better Players
24
65%
 
Total votes: 37

Radioblacktive1
Junior
Posts: 468
And1: 368
Joined: Jun 26, 2017
   

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#141 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:43 pm

King Ken wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:He will always at a disadvantage with frame and wingspan but he can be at least passable in other areas. He can't be total arrse cheeks all the time.

Which is why we need an interior presence to help cover for where Trae lacks. Steven Adam's just scream perfect fit for us.

Not offensively. A perfect fit to me is Myles Turner. All of these guys have flaws that will effect us


Talk to em!
User avatar
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,609
And1: 667
Joined: Feb 18, 2011
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#142 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:09 pm

King Ken wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:He will always at a disadvantage with frame and wingspan but he can be at least passable in other areas. He can't be total arrse cheeks all the time.

Which is why we need an interior presence to help cover for where Trae lacks. Steven Adam's just scream perfect fit for us.

Not offensively. A perfect fit to me is Myles Turner. All of these guys have flaws that will effect us

I'd say he fits there too simply because he's more capable as a rebounder on offense. We've got plenty of offense as is. Turner doesn't hit the boards hard enough for me, and that's what we need over floor spacing.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,163
And1: 8,730
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#143 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:15 pm

An opposing team's write-up on our defensive woes:

Antetokounmpo and the Bucks will be going up against a Hawks defense that surrenders the most opposing paint points per game in the NBA (53.8) at this point in the season.

...for the Hawks, their size, or lack thereof, on the interior is an incredible problem in defending and protecting the rim.

Not only are the Hawks very susceptible defending the paint, but they’re also the worst defensive rebounding team in the league. Sporting such little resistance at the point of attack, [opposing teams] have plenty of opportunities to decimate the Hawks from the inside and on...second chance points this year.
Milwaukee Fansided
kg01
Head Coach
Posts: 6,022
And1: 7,830
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
 

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#144 » by kg01 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 pm

We have multiple guys who just don't want to be here.

Jones
Crabbe
Turner
Parker
Carter - it looks like we took one bite too many from the apple here. Vet leaders who can't back it up on the court have a short shelf life.

That's a death spiral in general, certainly defensively where effort is a significant factor.

As Parker famously said, they don't pay you for defense. Well, all these guys are looking to get paid. Recipe for the disaster we're seeing.

Where's Schlank? I need more than the one-off 'my bad' interview to explain the tsunami-quake of a disaster he put together.

This ain't on Pierce as much as it's on Schlank.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,579
And1: 7,627
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#145 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

There is no doubt that roster improvement will be needed in order for the Hawks to become a fundamentally better defense. Still, that does not mean that their communication, team effort and execution can’t be consistently better than it has been thus far this season

That's all i want to see, some consistancy.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,163
And1: 8,730
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#146 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 4, 2020 9:49 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,579
And1: 7,627
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#147 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 am

Some good info here.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 7,668
And1: 1,015
Joined: Jun 27, 2005
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#148 » by dms269 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:39 pm

Bembry just needs to be a defensive specialist.

I never want that man with the basketball in his hands on offense.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Deester11
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 59
Joined: Dec 20, 2018
       

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#149 » by Deester11 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 pm

dms269 wrote:Bembry just needs to be a defensive specialist.

I never want that man with the basketball in his hands on offense.

It's sheer malfeasance when Bembry dribbles and shoots. Gilbert and Montlick should check in on my pain and suffering watching it. :banghead: Defense. Ok.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,163
And1: 8,730
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#150 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,163
And1: 8,730
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#151 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Threezus
Pro Prospect
Posts: 868
And1: 480
Joined: Jun 27, 2016
         

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#152 » by Threezus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:17 am

What i want to know is how come everyone automatically thinks because trae is small that he is guaranteed the worst defender in the nba. Where as if you look his numbers up on nba.com and basketball reference which i was told by a few people were credible sources to get about as close as you can get to official numbers from. He is an actual minor positive on defense and has a small positive on defensive win share. Im not saying he is some great defender or even good lol but from what i can tell on there he is not a negative at this point either. Is it just the cool thing to do by people who don't watch him to blast on him and say he is straight garbage at it without even looking to see how he is really doing according to the nba?
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,579
And1: 7,627
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#153 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 am

Threezus wrote:What i want to know is how come everyone automatically thinks because trae is small that he is guaranteed the worst defender in the nba. Where as if you look his numbers up on nba.com and basketball reference which i was told by a few people were credible sources to get about as close as you can get to official numbers from. He is an actual minor positive on defense and has a small positive on defensive win share. Im not saying he is some great defender or even good lol but from what i can tell on there he is not a negative at this point either. Is it just the cool thing to do by people who don't watch him to blast on him and say he is straight garbage at it without even looking to see how he is really doing according to the nba?

Just like how they hold his offensive struggles in Oct/Nov of last year, they are doing the same with his defense from last year.
Just like Reddish's 1-18 from 3 in his first 5 NBA games is all anyone remembers.
Par the course who only boxscore watch.
User avatar
Threezus
Pro Prospect
Posts: 868
And1: 480
Joined: Jun 27, 2016
         

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#154 » by Threezus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:19 am

jayu70 wrote:
Threezus wrote:What i want to know is how come everyone automatically thinks because trae is small that he is guaranteed the worst defender in the nba. Where as if you look his numbers up on nba.com and basketball reference which i was told by a few people were credible sources to get about as close as you can get to official numbers from. He is an actual minor positive on defense and has a small positive on defensive win share. Im not saying he is some great defender or even good lol but from what i can tell on there he is not a negative at this point either. Is it just the cool thing to do by people who don't watch him to blast on him and say he is straight garbage at it without even looking to see how he is really doing according to the nba?

Just like how they hold his offensive struggles in Oct/Nov of last year, they are doing the same with his defense from last year.
Just like Reddish's 1-18 from 3 in his first 5 NBA games is all anyone remembers.
Par the course who only boxscore watch.


Thats what i figured as well but it's sad when you see people who don't want to learn and improve their nba knowledge by checking things out and doing some research. Some people are just hardheaded and set in their ways of being trollish i guess.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 7,668
And1: 1,015
Joined: Jun 27, 2005
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#155 » by dms269 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 am

Threezus wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Threezus wrote:What i want to know is how come everyone automatically thinks because trae is small that he is guaranteed the worst defender in the nba. Where as if you look his numbers up on nba.com and basketball reference which i was told by a few people were credible sources to get about as close as you can get to official numbers from. He is an actual minor positive on defense and has a small positive on defensive win share. Im not saying he is some great defender or even good lol but from what i can tell on there he is not a negative at this point either. Is it just the cool thing to do by people who don't watch him to blast on him and say he is straight garbage at it without even looking to see how he is really doing according to the nba?

Just like how they hold his offensive struggles in Oct/Nov of last year, they are doing the same with his defense from last year.
Just like Reddish's 1-18 from 3 in his first 5 NBA games is all anyone remembers.
Par the course who only boxscore watch.


Thats what i figured as well but it's sad when you see people who don't want to learn and improve their nba knowledge by checking things out and doing some research. Some people are just hardheaded and set in their ways of being trollish i guess.
There is no point in arguing with them in the general board. They are going to believe what they are going to believe.

Like was said, last year they attacked his ability so shoot. Claimed he was a bust.

Now they have to move on to something else because he is killing that. Now it is that he is weak and unathletic. Worst defender in the history of the nba. Shouldn't be an all-star because his team is bad.just continuing the talking points.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
User avatar
Threezus
Pro Prospect
Posts: 868
And1: 480
Joined: Jun 27, 2016
         

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#156 » by Threezus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am

dms269 wrote:
Threezus wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Just like how they hold his offensive struggles in Oct/Nov of last year, they are doing the same with his defense from last year.
Just like Reddish's 1-18 from 3 in his first 5 NBA games is all anyone remembers.
Par the course who only boxscore watch.


Thats what i figured as well but it's sad when you see people who don't want to learn and improve their nba knowledge by checking things out and doing some research. Some people are just hardheaded and set in their ways of being trollish i guess.
There is no point in arguing with them in the general board. They are going to believe what they are going to believe.

Like was said, last year they attacked his ability so shoot. Claimed he was a bust.

Now they have to move on to something else because he is killing that. Now it is that he is weak and unathletic. Worst defender in the history of the nba. Shouldn't be an all-star because his team is bad.just continuing the talking points.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app


Yeah i know fam it's just irritating to see people who don't love the nba enough to be unbiased and actually try to judge each person on what they really are each year. I might not like certain players but you'll never see me knock on anything with them that stats or proof from verifiable sources can't back up that i can actually show someone. If it's just because my eyes say i see something because i seen him mess up on 1 or 2 plays so he must be garbage then im just wasting others time. I don't see every single play of every player in the nba or even on my own team. So why or how can i tell someone else that i know for a fact what i state is undeniable truth. When someone shows me visual proof what i personally think is wrong then i back off and admit i was wrong and the person must have gotten better or i just wasn't intelligent enough to know what i was talking about yet in he nba since i never played it at the college or nba level lol.
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,602
And1: 4,963
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#157 » by King Ken » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:49 pm

I honestly think we are improving at a good rate. We need a center BADLY though
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,163
And1: 8,730
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#158 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:26 pm

We gotta get this fixed sooner than later...

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,893
And1: 2,067
Joined: Jul 14, 2017
Location: Chicago
       

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#159 » by shakes0 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:We gotta get this fixed sooner than later...

Read on Twitter



I feel like the d has already started to improve since Collins came back and now with Dedmon. I wouldn't put any stock in last night when one team was fully rested and teh other was on the road the night after a double OT thriller.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,163
And1: 8,730
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#160 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 am

Thoughts on Hawks adopting some of Toronto's schemes/gimmicks to cover for Trae's defensive deficiencies?

Zone, traps, presses and the like with our defensive anchors and cadre of lanky wing defenders...

Return to Atlanta Hawks