Game Thread: Hawks vs Jazz -- 3/21

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,656

Re: Game Thread: Hawks vs Jazz -- 3/21 

Post#101 » by benhillboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 am

Hazer wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Great and exciting win. Trae's shot wasn't falling, and neither were his FTs but man did he still have an impact. Still put up a great statline as well. Collins was held in check, Trae's shot wasn't falling and we still pulled it out.

I'm so impressed by the way these guys responded after getting punched in the mouth in the 3rd quarter. Earlier in the season was when the opposing team would just run away and win by 20, but not anymore. These guys have always fought but they're a lot smarter and a lot better now than they were in November.

Baze hit some big 3s to keep us in it, and Huerter had a very good game as well.

Coaching. Steady, stoic, bada$$ CLP over there, sharpest dressed in the NBA, doing his thang.

His salary is gonna have to bump up soon. He spares no expense on his suits and tailoring. If I didn’t know any better I’d say his suit tonight was a silk blend. Just a gangster a$$ dude CLP.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#102 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:45 am

Chicago just won two games in a row. If the Hawks just dropped those two back to back games against Chicago and didn't get any more wins after that, the Hawks would officially be #4 in the lottery now :banghead:

I have already come to the fact and have a deep sick feeling that Chicago will end up getting the #1 overall pick this year. :nonono:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#103 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:22 am

Read on Twitter

Trae Young scored 23 points, including a go-ahead three-point play, and the Hawks beat Utah 117-114 on Thursday night to end the Jazz’s five-game winning streak.

Hawks rookie Kevin Huerter, who had 14 points, sank a 3-pointer to cut Utah’s lead to 99-98 midway through the final period. Huerter has been overshadowed by fellow rookie Young but also has become a starter with a role in the team’s long-term future. “I think the beauty is he’s a modern day perimeter player,” coach Lloyd Pierce said. Huerter has five games with at least five 3s. Only Young, with six such games, has more among the league’s rookies this season.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#104 » by Hazer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Hazer wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
Like I was saying..we can afford a few more wins...ok now just a couple more but that’s it.

:lol:

I’m wanting us to slide down to 4th, brah :lol:

No I dig it for sure I just don’t see it happening. On the flip side I don’t see us losing 5th to Mavs either. Just thought we’d get a couple more just for good measure... 27 victories perhaps.. :wink:

It gonna be dat kind of party, I'mo pull for 28 den :nod:
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#105 » by graymule » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:11 pm

:lol:

Not often, but occasionally it just has to happen. Thursday night it happened again.

A team has gotta do what a team has gotta do. They bowed up and refused to be beaten. Why? Because they could, that's why.
Shades of things to come! That was a real team effort. Pride showed up in the 4th quarter and the Jazz couldn't overcome it.

The Hawks are actually this good. They just don't show it all the time. With whatever player or players come to Atlanta with
the draft and whoever we might sign thru free agency, the Hawks will improve.

Right now, the future looks bright for the Atlanta pro teams. All of them, including our Hawks!!

:D
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#106 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Don. Mitchell is great and all but am I the only one that thought he seemed a bit ball-hogey? Had a fantastic 3rd quarter but the rest of the game was ... I mean, I get that he has to shoulder a heavy offensive load but does he have to take 35 shots while the other starters combine for 34?

And does anyone remember summer league when folks were tryna say Grayson Allen was on Trae's level? Yeah, me neither.
king01 :king:
turnermx
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#107 » by turnermx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Mitchell's 34 points don't look all that good when you see he took 30+ shots to get them.
Atlantaholic
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#108 » by Atlantaholic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm

turnermx wrote:Mitchell's 34 points don't look all that good when you see he took 30+ shots to get them.

Standard fare for Mitchell. He averages 23 points on 20.3 shots for a paultry 529% TS%. Trae Young despite his massive struggles early has a 536% TS%. Mitchell is a super overrated player.
Atlantaholic
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#109 » by Atlantaholic » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:58 pm

kg01 wrote:Don. Mitchell is great and all but am I the only one that thought he seemed a bit ball-hogey? Had a fantastic 3rd quarter but the rest of the game was ... I mean, I get that he has to shoulder a heavy offensive load but does he have to take 35 shots while the other starters combine for 34?

And does anyone remember summer league when folks were tryna say Grayson Allen was on Trae's level? Yeah, me neither.

I will say that having watched Jazz play a few times they are in dire need of players that can create their own shot. Outside of Mitchell there isn't a single player on the roster that can do it.
benhillboy
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by benhillboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Atlantaholic wrote:
turnermx wrote:Mitchell's 34 points don't look all that good when you see he took 30+ shots to get them.

Standard fare for Mitchell. He averages 23 points on 20.3 shots for a paultry 529% TS%. Trae Young despite his massive struggles early has a 536% TS%. Mitchell is a super overrated player.

Definately. He’s fun to watch but he’s going to go through a rough stretch in public perception as his next deal approaches. Passing just isn’t in him. He’s not even great off the ball. The way they’re currently built everyone makes an excuse that he has to hog but I can’t subscribe to that idea. It didn’t work for early Jordan it ain’t working for anyone. Quinn knows that ain’t the Bud U way. Scratch that, the CLP way hell you talkin bout.
benhillboy
Sixth Man

Post#111 » by benhillboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Hazer wrote:VC’s contest was also a big reason that last shot didn’t go in. GOTTA bring him back. Notice how the refs let him, all season, talk to and put hands on them? How many techs does he have?

Great observation. I think he may have one. He takes the refs under his wing like children. They do need guidance.

I feel Van Gundy’s frustration with the needless reviews for basic calls but we have a coach in CLP The Don who takes full advantage of the extra timeouts. He be in the huddle yapping and drawing his ass off, Vince and Melvin right there.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#112 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:41 pm

benhillboy wrote:
Atlantaholic wrote:

Definately. He’s fun to watch but he’s going to go through a rough stretch in public perception as his next deal approaches. Passing just isn’t in him. He’s not even great off the ball. The way they’re currently built everyone makes an excuse that he has to hog but I can’t subscribe to that idea. It didn’t work for early Jordan it ain’t working for anyone. Quinn knows that ain’t the Bud U way. Scratch that, the CLP way hell you talkin bout.

That's true. Mitchell is good but not good enough for the ultra-green light he has. There are some pretty large holes in his game. As I saw some Jazz fans saying, he desperately needs a floater.

And that's not a major indictment. He's only a 2nd year player. Hope, for Jazz fans' sake, he hasn't been given too much too soon. He says all the right things but he's basically the same player this year as he was last year.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#113 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 pm

The Triple Team: Andy Larsen’s analysis of the Jazz subpar 3-point defense as Hawks fire away to win

1. Jazz 3-point defense wasn’t good enough

Tonight, the Hawks got fewer threes than in their previous matchup, but made more of them. Ultimately, that was the biggest part of the difference. The Jazz were just too careless with this stuff. Dewayne Dedmon is a 37 percent 3-point shooter this year on four attempts per game.

And then this is a transition miscommunication, the type of which happened far too frequently for Quin Snyder’s liking.

Jae Crowder was aggressive to the massive detriment of the Jazz. Here, he steps towards Trae Young way too late, by the time Crowder is able to lurch forward, Young’s in the paint dishing to John Collins for a dunk.

Again, here Jae’s assignment is to contain in pick and roll, but he’s so easy to get past that the result is someone’s wide open. Rudy Gobert goes to help, and Collins is open for a three in the corner.

Salt Lake Tribune
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,024

Post#114 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Great game last night.
The arena is so nice now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,864

Post#115 » by DirtybirdGA » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm

A replay is on NBA tv on their Marquee matchup.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.

Return to Atlanta Hawks