ImageImage

What do you think of Bud now?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

What do you think of Bud now? 

Post#1 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Apr 5, 2019 1:53 pm

Just curious, is Bud's coaching ability any more validated now that he's went to MIL and seen success there, or about the same as ever, or is there some reason you'd say he's overrated... ?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Re: What do you think of Bud now? 

Post#2 » by jayu70 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:12 pm

Bud was/is always a great coach.
He was thrust into a GM role he wasn't prepared/ready for.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#3 » by kg01 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:13 pm

Who said he's overrated?
king01 :king:
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#4 » by dms269 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:15 pm

It's not like Milwaukee is a bad team, tehy have a top 3 player in the league.

I feel Bud quit on the team. He messed things up, then complained when the team was forced to rebuild due to his own decisions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#5 » by King Ken » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:36 pm

I still dislike him. No one ever said he wasn't a tremendous coach. He just was a horrible GM and a bad communicator in general. But he can coach. We had some good coaches over the years, he is one of the great ones. Hopefully LP is one too. Like Bud, LP was very impressive in year 1
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#6 » by Spud2nique » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:37 pm

Lloyd for president! Buck Fud now!

Before though, I wanted a Bud statue..

:lol:
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,074

Post#7 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:43 pm

We already knew Bud could win 60 games in the regular season. The question will be how Milwaukee does in the playoffs. He doesn't have LeBron to worry about anymore and he has Giannis to rely on in some tight spots so he should have more success. We'll see.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#8 » by EazyRoc » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:30 pm

Milwaukee has a really good team AND a really good coach. Hard to really gauge Bud off that, but hell hes won games with our supremely untalented rosters so dude is a great coach.
kg01
General Manager

Post#9 » by kg01 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:25 pm

Seems like ol' strut aimed this at someone in particular but didn't have the 'nads to call him out specifically. :lol:
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#10 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:48 pm

kg, I'm not sure whether to be flattered that you think I'm that passive aggressively clever... or to be concerned that you are quite that cynical... or to be perturbed that you think I'm never so authentic as to just ask a question out of simple curiosity.

Honestly not sure.

No, no someone in particular. Genuinely curious whether people who chided his real coaching ability on his way out the door still believe that, or if they've moderated their opinion. I would fully expect most of them would still think of him the same, arguing that he's just been the beneficiary of the blossoming of an MVP type talent.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#11 » by Hazer » Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:53 pm

Helluva coach. Awful GM. Prick. Not a fan. Hope they lose in the 1st round...
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#12 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:18 pm

Hazer wrote:Helluva coach. Awful GM. Prick. Not a fan. Hope they lose in the 1st round...

This is a great summary. I'm a bit more of a fan but still resent the way he walked with his full paycheck. Outstanding coach; terrible GM; not someone who was invested in Atlanta.
kg01
General Manager

Post#13 » by kg01 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:22 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:kg, I'm not sure whether to be flattered that you think I'm that passive aggressively clever... or to be concerned that you are quite that cynical... or to be perturbed that you think I'm never so authentic as to just ask a question out of simple curiosity.

Honestly not sure.

No, no someone in particular. Genuinely curious whether people who chided his real coaching ability on his way out the door still believe that, or if they've moderated their opinion. I would fully expect most of them would still think of him the same, arguing that he's just been the beneficiary of the blossoming of an MVP type talent.

I think I speak for everyone when I say you should simply be honored that I thought enough of you to comment at all. 8-)
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#14 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:30 pm

Having just went through the Bryce Harper drama, I'm very aware that this is a business. The only ones "invested" in a given team are those with something financial or emotional to lose.

There are those who despise Harper for leaving Washington and going to a rival.

I don't. It's a business.

Neither do I despise Bud for leaving ATL. Careers are more typically very short than very long in professional sports. You have to make hay while the sun shines, as they say. Bud had to be thinking about his career no different than any player had to be thinking about theirs.

So... short of Ressler offering him a minority stake in the franchise, there was very little reason for Bud to be invested long-term in ATL. All the more so, once Ressler made his decision that Bud would not be an active participant in determining who the next GM would be... that essentially shouts to anyone with any sense, "You're dispensable. You're an employee. You're not a core voice (anymore) that we're going to listen to."
turnermx
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#15 » by turnermx » Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:44 pm

My take on Bud,
on the court, heck of a coach, one of the best. As a GM, one of if not the league's worst, could not handle coaching a mishap of a team caused by his own doing. off the court - a terrible coach and person.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#16 » by Hazer » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:09 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Having just went through the Bryce Harper drama, I'm very aware that this is a business. The only ones "invested" in a given team are those with something financial or emotional to lose.

Neither do I despise Bud for leaving ATL. Careers are more typically very short than very long in professional sports. You have to make hay while the sun shines, as they say. Bud had to be thinking about his career no different than any player had to be thinking about theirs.

So... short of Ressler offering him a minority stake in the franchise, there was very little reason for Bud to be invested long-term in ATL. All the more so, once Ressler made his decision that Bud would not be an active participant in determining who the next GM would be... that essentially shouts to anyone with any sense, "You're dispensable. You're an employee. You're not a core voice (anymore) that we're going to listen to."

I don’t despise Pud for leaving, just the way he did it. Same with Whorefart. Brace yourselves, excuses for the way both left coming in 3...2...1...
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#17 » by azuresou1 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:24 pm

As a coach:

I think he did a great job of getting players to initially buy in to his system and play team basketball. In his first season where Al got injured, he kept us playing great team basketball and got us to claw our way into the playoffs, where we took the Pacers to 7. I **KNEW** that we would have something special with Al coming back.

The 60 win season, we had a truly magical few months that were honestly among my fondest sports memories. However, near the end of the season, we started playing really soft and passive, and I also **KNEW** we would struggle in the playoffs. I actually blame Bud for this dropoff. Pop would have demanded to see some nasty; Bud just did his impassive Bud face. DeMarre is basically the only player that showed up in the playoffs, and I love DMC but he was also the least skilled starter.

After that I think we all knew it was going to go down hill with an aging core that couldn't get over the hump.

I'm going to try to forget the seasons with Baze and Dennis running the offense. Bud basically kept the exact same offensive and defensive scheme, which works spectacularly when it's all clicking and collapses spectacularly when you don't.

Our rankings by season:

TS%: 9th, 3rd, 8th, 19th, 20th
TOV%: 26th, 19th, 22nd, 28th, 28th
Opponent 3PT Rate: 29th, 30th, 25th, 27th, 23rd
Opponent 3PT%: 18th, 7th, 15th, 15th, 29th
ORTG: 18th, 6th, 21st, 27th, 26th
DRTG: 14th, 6th, 2nd, 4th, 21st

As a GM:
Simply awful.

As a person:
I don't really blame him for moving on from the team. You can fault him for bad decision-making as a GM, but literally anyone offered the chance (and salary) to be President/Coach would do so. He obviously wasn't enthralled with the idea of sticking around for a rebuild, and I do think it's inappropriate for an owner to curse out a coach for winning. I think it's best for both sides to move on.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#18 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:27 pm

Hazer wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Having just went through the Bryce Harper drama, I'm very aware that this is a business. The only ones "invested" in a given team are those with something financial or emotional to lose.

I don’t despise Pud for leaving, just the way he did it. Same with Whorefart. Brace yourselves, excuses for the way both left coming in 3...2...1...

Ressler didn't owe Bud anything (ie, other than what he was contractually obligated to), in reality, and was fully within his rights to make the decisions he did when he did that eventually led to Bud leaving.

Likewise. Bud didn't owe Ressler anything (ie, other than what he was contractually obligated to), particularly once Ressler made it self-evident that he knew he didn't owe Bud anything.

Call it whatever you want. Excuse. Reason. Whatever.

I call it business.
Atlantaholic
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#19 » by Atlantaholic » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:40 pm

Bud was a great coach, though I do think he struggled in the playoffs with us. As a GM he was awful though.
Deester11
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#20 » by Deester11 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:25 pm

Atlantaholic wrote:Bud was a great coach, though I do think he struggled in the playoffs with us. As a GM he was awful though.

Loved Bud the coach. The GM....that was simply an awful notion from the jump. Don't really care about him now. He has a right to go where he wants to be...but he still an azzzzz

Return to Atlanta Hawks