Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Re: What do you think of Bud now? 

Post#121 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
D21 wrote:
To judge his real level, I would have like to see the 60W ATL team coming into the playoffs with Thabo on the list, and without injuries almost all the starters had or got once in the playoffs. No saying they would have win against a also fully healthy CLE, but it's what was needed at this time to see what he really can do.
It was possible, so I will wait to see what he does with MIL before judging

I don't think that 60 W ATL team would have stood a chance. I honestly think the Bucks are better than the Cavs were that year. At best, we may win 2 games at full strength against both teams, and that's if we are also hitting shots. I mean Cleveland wasn't fully healthy either that year.

Their list of injuries started with two All-Stars.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#122 » by D21 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 pm

What I see from Bud now is that he can struggle in Game1, a loss Vs BOS, a hard game Vs TOR with good reaction in 4th quarter, but it makes now two times that his team is destroying the other team in Game2
Vs BOS, they continued the series like that, let's see how it turns Vs TOR
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,492

Post#123 » by dms269 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Vol4ever wrote:Bud didnt want to be here because we were not interested in trying to win. Our owner wanted to tear down and start over. I dont blame Bud he wants to win. Meanwhile we are still in a rebuild and Bud is in the EC and we are several years at least away form the ECF.
Bud is the reason we had to tear it down. He was so bad as PBO that he was only concerned about the now. He made decisions that helped him as coach instead of decisions for the team as a whole.

Saying it as simple as "we wanted to rebuild and he wanted to win" without taking into context why is shortsighted.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#124 » by macd-gm » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm

dms269 wrote:
Vol4ever wrote:Bud didnt want to be here because we were not interested in trying to win. Our owner wanted to tear down and start over. I dont blame Bud he wants to win. Meanwhile we are still in a rebuild and Bud is in the EC and we are several years at least away form the ECF.
Bud is the reason we had to tear it down. He was so bad as PBO that he was only concerned about the now. He made decisions that helped him as coach instead of decisions for the team as a whole.

Saying it as simple as "we wanted to rebuild and he wanted to win" without taking into context why is shortsighted.

How did those decisions help him as a coach. The team went steadily down hill.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,492

Post#125 » by dms269 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:18 pm

macd-gm wrote:
dms269 wrote:

They were an attempt to slow the decline though. The team went downhill a lot slower than it should have, delaying the agony.
The non-trades of Horford and Millsap. The huge extension of Baze.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#126 » by Buzzard » Wed May 22, 2019 2:40 pm

The same. He is a solid coach and now he has more talent. The Bucks will be seriously disappointed if they don't get past the Raps.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
macd-gm
Starter

Post#127 » by macd-gm » Wed May 22, 2019 2:44 pm

dms269 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:
dms269 wrote:Bud is the reason we had to tear it down. He was so bad as PBO that he was only concerned about the now. He made decisions that helped him as coach instead of decisions for the team as a whole.

They were an attempt to slow the decline though. The team went downhill a lot slower than it should have, delaying the agony.
The non-trades of Horford and Millsap. The huge extension of Baze.

I'm not disagreeing that Bud's tenure as President was not good (to say the least), but saying his moves were entirely mortgaging the future in favor of now is a stretch to me. He traded Teague for draft picks, the whole city wanted to keep Horford, and Resseler meddled and claimed keeping Sap was the #1 priority and that he was personally in charge of the negotiations. Traded Korver for a first.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#128 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 pm

^You're getting timelines mixed up.

That Ressler statement (which always smelled fishy) came 8 months later -- after Horford was already gone.

Bud was the idiot publicly refusing to trade Millsap, privately vetoing Wilcox's efforts to do so and then begging Schlenk months later to bring Millsap back.

He's a terrible judge of talent and only operates in short term mode.

Good coach, though. But if Middleton leaves next year...Milwaukee could easily fall back to 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Summer 2016:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Spring 2016:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Summer 2017:
Read on Twitter

Spring 2017:
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#129 » by jayu70 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Two things IIRC...
1. Bud said he should not have left the Horford negotiation up to the cap expert, they didnt know Al.
2. Ressler said no Millsap trade deal didn't get to his desk and if it had he would not have approved it.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#130 » by Spud2nique » Wed May 22, 2019 9:47 pm

I was always one of the biggest Bud fans. I wanted to give him a lifetime contract. He screwed the Hawks over but we came out of it fine and so did he. I don’t really hold any grudges towards Bud anymore as many here seem to do.

In fact, I would very much like coach Bud and Ersan to beat the living snot out of the scrubs in the finals. I usually vote west over east unless Hawks but screw the scrubs. NO RATINGS EVER!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2019 11:26 am

Bud's offense: When good coaches with great players figure it out...it becomes all too easy to defend.

If Bucks lose this series with 4 straight losses, can we still call it a sweep?

If you're up 2-0 in a series but lose in 6 games, is it worse than a sweep?

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter

Post#132 » by macd-gm » Fri May 24, 2019 2:12 pm

The Raptors have more talent and are much deeper. I was surprised the Bucks went up 2-0. Bucks need to upgrade some of their rotation.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#133 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2019 2:21 pm

SO many excuses...

It's never Budenholzer's fault when he loses. But always his credit when he wins.

Got it.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#134 » by macd-gm » Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:SO many excuses...

It's never Budenholzer's fault when he loses. But always his credit when he wins.

Got it.

WTF? You think the Bucks have more talent than the Raptors? Just count the all stars. Here's the real secret to NBA success. Talent wins. You must think Ty Lue and Steve Kerr are two of the all time greats.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#135 » by kg01 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:00 pm

macd-gm wrote:

Got it.

WTF? You think the Bucks have more talent than the Raptors? Just count the all stars. Here's the real secret to NBA success. Talent wins. You must think Ty Lue and Steve Kerr are two of the all time greats.

Wait a minute, macd. This 3-game losing streak is squarely on Budz. They have less talent in theory, but they are the better team.

How about they do something on offense more creative than asking Giannis to blindly drive into 4 dudes? How about they choose not to double an obviously-injured Leonard in game 4 (which directly led to the other Raptors getting off)?

There is no ball movement. There have been no adjustments. That has nothing to do with "talent".

I'll grant that it should be noted that the Bucks don't have deep playoff experience and several Raptors players do. However, let's not pretend like most of those Raptors' deep playoff history isn't skechy at-best.

Kudos to TOR for playing well but let's not pretend like there aren't a LOT of things MIL is doing (and failing to do) from a coaching/plan standpoint that are directly contributing to TOR's success.
king01 :king:
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#136 » by EazyRoc » Fri May 24, 2019 3:18 pm

macd-gm wrote:

Got it.

I think the talent levels are so close it’s really splitting hairs to say one is clearly better than the other. Just off the top of my head..Bledsoe, Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez, Hill and Ilya off the bench vs Kawhi, Lowry, Siakim, Gasol with Ibaka off the bench..that’s close but I’d lean on the Bucks having more..
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#137 » by EazyRoc » Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Taking Giannis out in the last minute was a dumb ass move by Bud.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#138 » by macd-gm » Fri May 24, 2019 3:24 pm

kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

Got it.

Wait a minute, macd. This 3-game losing streak is squarely on Budz. They have less talent in theory, but they are the better team.

How about they do something on offense more creative than asking Giannis to blindly drive into 4 dudes? How about they choose not to double an obviously-injured Leonard in game 4 (which directly led to the other Raptors getting off)?

There is no ball movement. There have been no adjustments. That has nothing to do with "talent".

I'll grant that it should be noted that the Bucks don't have deep playoff experience and several Raptors players do. However, let's not pretend like most of those Raptors' deep playoff history isn't skechy at-best.

Kudos to TOR for playing well but let's not pretend like there aren't a LOT of things MIL is doing (and failing to do) from a coaching/plan standpoint that are directly contributing to TOR's success.

That's always the case though. No one is saying Bud doesn't bear responsibility but I think if the Bucks win this series it's an upset (even from the outset). I mean they're playing Hill/Brogdon/Cannoughton big rotation minutes.

These are mostly close games. No one was saying Nurse sucked when they dropped two games. Suddenly the Bucks are losing and it's all Bud's fault?

I'm not even sure how i became the Bud defender here. I don't care that much but the Bud hate is a little silly since he's on his second ECF. Could there be better proof that he's an excellent coach than taking largely the same Bucks team from barely making the playoffs to ECF in one year.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#139 » by kg01 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:36 pm

macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

That's always the case though. No one is saying Bud doesn't bear responsibility but I think if the Bucks win this series it's an upset (even from the outset). I mean they're playing Hill/Brogdon/Cannoughton big rotation minutes.

These are mostly close games. No one was saying Nurse sucked when they dropped two games. Suddenly the Bucks are losing and it's all Bud's fault?

I'm not even sure how i became the Bud defender here. I don't care that much but the Bud hate is a little silly since he's on his second ECF. Could there be better proof that he's an excellent coach than taking largely the same Bucks team from barely making the playoffs to ECF in one year.

I absolutely was saying Nic sucked during the PHI series. When they dropped the first 2 games I wasn't surprised because I figured MIL had a decided edge.

These teams are closely matched from a talent standpoint. Budz coaching missteps have swung the balance.

Congrats on becoming the Buttz-defender, btw. Haha.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#140 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2019 3:40 pm

^TBH, I thought he'd relocated to the Bucks Forum already...

NOTE: Their fanbase is already turning on Bud after 3 consecutive losses.

Return to Atlanta Hawks