ImageImage

The future in Atlanta

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

dlb731
Sophomore
And1: 45

The future in Atlanta 

Post#1 » by dlb731 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 am

Seeing as how well we did last year, and the claims that Atlanta is going to "aggressively pursue" free agents this offseason... What players do you feel are realistic targets via free agent signings or via trade?
Nathan2331
Sophomore
And1: 132

Re: The future in Atlanta 

Post#2 » by Nathan2331 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 am

KD + AD in 2020. I'm gonna keep saying it until KD signs somewhere else.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#3 » by Hazer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:58 am

Kawhi Leonard would make the perfect Hawk.
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Hazer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 am

Hazer wrote:Kawhi Leonard would make the perfect Hawk.

Ice Trae/The Huert/Kawhi/Zion/J-Bap = Finals
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#5 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 am

Set your sights on Khris Middleton. That's about as high on the apple tree that we can pick. But Middleton is from SC as I recall, and I'd think if we somehow get lucky enough to get Z, it could be a tempting option.
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#6 » by fuzzy1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Set your sights on Khris Middleton. That's about as high on the apple tree that we can pick. But Middleton is from SC as I recall, and I'd think if we somehow get lucky enough to get Z, it could be a tempting option.

I would not drop money on Middleton, not the kind he's gonna command at least. If we can't get the absolute studs, money ball it.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:03 pm

I think they go after one of Tobias Harris or Jimmy Butler from Philly. Especially if the Sixers disappoint in the playoffs.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#8 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I think they go after one of Tobias Harris or Jimmy Butler from Philly. Especially if the Sixers disappoint in the playoffs.

Can't imagine how Harris would fit this team. He isn't high impact enough for all the harm that would come out of pairing him with Collins defensively. Butler is an easy fit from a skills perspective but a hard fit in terms of age and attitude.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#9 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Neither is a good fit for us
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I think they go after one of Tobias Harris or Jimmy Butler from Philly. Especially if the Sixers disappoint in the playoffs.
I will pass on both.
Jimmy Butler concerns me and more so with him being signed longterm. It's not his play that is a concern that I have but his leadership.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#11 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:48 pm

fuzzy1 wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Set your sights on Khris Middleton. That's about as high on the apple tree that we can pick. But Middleton is from SC as I recall, and I'd think if we somehow get lucky enough to get Z, it could be a tempting option.

I would not drop money on Middleton, not the kind he's gonna command at least. If we can't get the absolute studs, money ball it.

The only free agents that aren't going to be overpaid are the absolute studs who aren't coming to ATL... who can't be paid what they're actually worth because of the max contract situation.

Not sure what you mean by money ball it.
marco102
Junior
And1: 717

Post#12 » by marco102 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 pm

I'd love Malcolm Brogdon here. Other than him, not really interested in the rest unless it's the KKK's (Kwhai, Klay, KD). Just draft well and go for the young veteran prospects with some upside (cough, cough, Justin Patton).
I'm working with my firm to assist small businesses apply for the stimulus assistance. If you're interested please pm.
We are also offering a cashflow bootcamp for small businesses (https://www.aprio.com/whatsnext/covid-19-cash-flow-bootcamp/ ).
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#13 » by fuzzy1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:26 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
fuzzy1 wrote:

The only free agents that aren't going to be overpaid are the absolute studs who aren't coming to ATL... who can't be paid what they're actually worth because of the max contract situation.

Not sure what you mean by money ball it.
I mean sign deals like we did for Dedmon, Len or even Millsap back in the day (obviously that was a homerun). Or just take on bad money for picks. Middleton doesn't do much for me, we might make the playoffs without him, and I don't think he wins a series for us or anything

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#14 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 pm

fuzzy, I'll agree that you want to be extra judicious in signing a guy, because as Schlenk has said (.... dang, I end up quoting him a whole lot for someone who I have had my issues with... ) the quickest way to kill your championship roster hopes is to sign the wrong guy to a big contract for a long time.

Here's why you might sign Middleton.

First, there's the timing concern. If you're going to sign a free agent at a level who is going to be meaningful to a championship run, that guy is going to require a 3 or 4 or 5 year contract. And that contract, as best can be synchronized, needs to hit about the same time that you have your elite draftees hit the ground in ATL, so that you get the most out of that overpaid, but significant talent you're buying.

Ordinarily, I might pass on 2019... but then, here's the thing... me, I see almost nothing in the 2020 free agent class that I think meets the essential criteria: that have a shot at obtaining, that is a significant talent by virtue of some independent measure (e.g., has been named to an ASG before), and that is going to complement rather than duplicate the talent we have.

I think, in fact, that's the reason Schlenk even made overtures that they might be a little more aggressive this off-season.

Second, it's funny you should bring up Millsap, because when you think about it, he's very much a Millsap-like talent in that he's a respected talent that has mostly been the second or third scoring option and who came out of the 2nd round.

Third, he's also like Millsap in that he'll get paid, but there will be no max contract talk about him, at least once FA season gets going in earnest.

Fourth, he's the defender that many of us thought Prince might have already become by now (btw, don't get me wrong,I haven't given up on that)... he would be an excellent addition.

Fifth, sometimes players do, sometimes players don't care whether they play somewhere in the vicinity of where they grew up. Who knows with Middleton. But I believe I read that he spent a substantial time playing AAU ball in Atlanta growing up, and SC is a stone's throw away... there could be some more natural interest in ATL than other players would necessarily have.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#15 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 pm

marco102 wrote:I'd love Malcolm Brogdon here. Other than him, not really interested in the rest unless it's the KKK's (Kwhai, Klay, KD). Just draft well and go for the young veteran prospects with some upside (cough, cough, Justin Patton).

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's the case that Patton's rust has kept anyone from launching out to get him signed, or if it's the other way around that he's got stout interest, and just wants to wait until after the draft to assess where he's going to have the best opportunity to grab a roster spot.

Or both?

It's easy to see us going after Brogdon, it really is.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/04/execs-project-four-years-60mm-for-malcolm-brogdon.html
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Hazer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Guys...........Kawhi Leonard :nod:
IheartTHEhurt
Junior
And1: 251

Post#17 » by IheartTHEhurt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 pm

If you want to pursue another Milsap then go after Derrick Favors.. He will be reasonable and needs a change in scenery. I however would like the front office to have bigger impact signings in mind
IheartTHEhurt
Junior
And1: 251

Post#18 » by IheartTHEhurt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Nevermind post above he was extended to 2020 and not really one I would give assets for
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#19 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Hazer wrote:Guys...........Kawhi Leonard :nod:

I like dreaming, too.

I wish I could figure out some line of rationale that has him land in ATL.

I just can't.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#20 » by High 5 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:05 pm

There are plenty of reasons why a top FA would sign here. It's probably too early for it actually to happen, but it would be a great opportunity.

Return to Atlanta Hawks