ImageImage

The future in Atlanta

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Re: The future in Atlanta 

Post#101 » by REHawksFan » Wed May 1, 2019 2:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I've always found it amusing how much abuse Rowland takes for pretty spot-on analysis. (It's especially amusing here, coming from one of the more critical voices among the new RealGMers.)

In the past, we weren't a particularly strong franchise. Not terrible, yet not among the upper echelon. But saying so somehow makes him a hater? Seems like our collective anger should be aimed at Atlanta Spirit, Billy Knight, Mike Woodson, Rick Sund and Mike Budenholzer for their terrible decision making.

But, I guess it's easier to target a blogger for unbiased criticism that's largely the consensus in league circles...

Whatevs...this new era is much brighter than anything I've seen in my 24+ years following the franchise.

Brad Rowland wrote:In the last three decades, though, I’m not sure the ceiling has ever been higher for the future than it is now and, even if the pieces never fit perfectly together to bring a title “home” to Atlanta, there is a beauty to the fact that optimism surrounding the Hawks is both genuine and well-founded.

Buckle up. This should be fun.
Peachtree Hoops

I'm a PTH neophyte so I can't speak to what they've said in the past but I've found their coverage of the team this season pretty spot on and generally positive. I also don't get all of the extreme negativity towards them.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#102 » by peoriabird » Wed May 1, 2019 2:27 pm

REHawksFan wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I've always found it amusing how much abuse Rowland takes for pretty spot-on analysis. (It's especially amusing here, coming from one of the more critical voices among the new RealGMers.)

In the past, we weren't a particularly strong franchise. Not terrible, yet not among the upper echelon. But saying so somehow makes him a hater? Seems like our collective anger should be aimed at Atlanta Spirit, Billy Knight, Mike Woodson, Rick Sund and Mike Budenholzer for their terrible decision making.

But, I guess it's easier to target a blogger for unbiased criticism that's largely the consensus in league circles...

Whatevs...this new era is much brighter than anything I've seen in my 24+ years following the franchise.

Brad Rowland wrote:In the last three decades, though, I’m not sure the ceiling has ever been higher for the future than it is now and, even if the pieces never fit perfectly together to bring a title “home” to Atlanta, there is a beauty to the fact that optimism surrounding the Hawks is both genuine and well-founded.

Buckle up. This should be fun.
Peachtree Hoops

I'm a PTH neophyte so I can't speak to what they've said in the past but I've found their coverage of the team this season pretty spot on and generally positive. I also don't get all of the extreme negativity towards them.

We are talking Rowland and Siegel right? When did you start following them...last month?
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#103 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Wed May 1, 2019 6:16 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:And not one of those guys were lottery picks except 37 old Duncan

Once a guy is drafted it is irrelevant where he is drafted. It just matters how good he is.

Can't believe this is coming from the #1 tank commander! 8-)

I'd hardly call myself the #1 tank commander.

Once a guy is drafted, I couldn't care less about whether Ben Wallace was a lottery pick or Michael Olowokandi was drafted #1 overall and only care about what kind of player they are. 2001 2nd round pick Gilbert Arenas >>> 2001 Lottery Pick Rodney White. Nobody gets bonus points for where they were drafted.

When looking to build talent, I care a lot about the quality of picks because that defines the pool of available talent and statistically correlates to very different expected performance. #1 pick >>> #12 pick. Tons of empirical data to show the expected value from those draft positions. The difference is very important even if the ultimate results come with plenty of variation (like the player chosen with the #10 pick in 1998 >>> the player chosen #1 in 1998).
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#104 » by peoriabird » Wed May 1, 2019 6:35 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
Once a guy is drafted it is irrelevant where he is drafted. It just matters how good he is.

Can't believe this is coming from the #1 tank commander! 8-)

I'd hardly call myself the #1 tank commander

Still having a hard time getting those 2017 meltdown images after every win out of my head! :P
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#105 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Wed May 1, 2019 7:12 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Can't believe this is coming from the #1 tank commander! 8-)

I'd hardly call myself the #1 tank commander

Still having a hard time getting those 2017 meltdown images after every win out of my head! :P

All wins did that season was degrade our draft position. All those minutes from our non-keeper vets like Ilya, Belinelli, etc. did nothing but hurt the team's long-term goals.

You'll notice that I wasn't tilted by wins this year. We had a real core of young talent to develop so getting some wins was just fine for our long-term goals.

We got lucky to land 3rd in the lottery so it worked out ok. Could have been a lot worse.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#106 » by jayu70 » Fri May 3, 2019 4:11 pm

Latest from Travis Schlenk:
[tweet]1124333415128547333[/tweet]

[tweet]1124333925055258624[/tweet]
This tells me unless it's a top FA (KD, Kawhi)....we aren't signing the mid tier FAs that will be looking for close to max deals like Middleton and Vuc. Value FAs - meaning the young players take precedence.

[tweet]1124339512732209153[/tweet]

[tweet]1124337512489607168[/tweet]
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#107 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 13, 2019 11:30 am

NBA Power Rankings: Which Rosters Are Best Built for the Future?

Instead of ordering teams based on what they've already done, we'll focus on what they could do soon. For our purposes, that's mainly the next couple of years, with emphasis on the 2019-20 season.

17. Atlanta Hawks

Maybe Trae Young doesn't do it for you. Maybe you're focused on his awful defense. Maybe those first few months of his career, when he couldn't make a shot and was physically overwhelmed on both ends, matter as much to you as his leap to stardom later on.

Even if he's not a franchise-altering supernova, the Hawks still have four incoming picks in addition to their own (two firsts and two seconds) lined up over the next two offseasons, a head coach in Lloyd Pierce who's rapidly gaining clout as a culture-builder, starting-caliber kids in Kevin Huerter (20) and John Collins (21), and a recent history of patience that makes it easy to believe they will do this thing right.
Bleacher Report
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#108 » by REHawksFan » Mon May 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Instead of ordering teams based on what they've already done, we'll focus on what they could do soon. For our purposes, that's mainly the next couple of years, with emphasis on the 2019-20 season.

17. Atlanta Hawks

Maybe Trae Young doesn't do it for you. Maybe you're focused on his awful defense. Maybe those first few months of his career, when he couldn't make a shot and was physically overwhelmed on both ends, matter as much to you as his leap to stardom later on.

Even if he's not a franchise-altering supernova, the Hawks still have four incoming picks in addition to their own (two firsts and two seconds) lined up over the next two offseasons, a head coach in Lloyd Pierce who's rapidly gaining clout as a culture-builder, starting-caliber kids in Kevin Huerter (20) and John Collins (21), and a recent history of patience that makes it easy to believe they will do this thing right.
Bleacher Report

Interesting list. I think they rank Dallas too high and they even admit there's lots of road blocks to bettering that roster. But apparently having Luka is the get out of jail card. No one seems to care about anything else as long as Luka is around. Seems like a too much to put on a young guy not named LBJ (and let's not forget LBJ still had to leave and let the Cavs suck to get a few No. 1's before they won a title). Anyway, hard for me to see the Mavs being better than the Blazers or Spurs over the next few years. And I actually like the Kings a little more than this list as well.

As for the Hawks, I don't get the narrative but I'm not sure I disagree too much with the ranking. As for the narrative, sure, Trae's defense is non-existent. That's fair for now. But how is it logical to look at the first few games of Trae's career (which were really bad) and then watch the rest of the season which were really good, and conclude that the first, smaller sample, is the "real Trae"?

Consider this:

Pre 12.01.18: 23 games - 15.6 pts / 7.6 ast / 3.0 reb / 37.8% FG / 24.8% 3PT / 1.065 PPS
Post 12.01.18: 58 games - 20.5 pts / 8.2 ast / 4.0 reb / 43.3% FG / 35.2% 3PT / 1.295 PPS

And yet apparently, the former is the "real Trae" while the latter is what, a mirage? Come on.

For Comparison purposes: LUKA last 58 games: 21.7 pts / 6.4 ast / 8.2 reb / 41.8% FG / 31.4% 3PT / 1.282 PPS
Not much different, imo.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#109 » by peoriabird » Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm

REHawksFan wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

17. Atlanta Hawks

Bleacher Report

Interesting list. I think they rank Dallas too high and they even admit there's lots of road blocks to bettering that roster. But apparently having Luka is the get out of jail card. No one seems to care about anything else as long as Luka is around. Seems like a too much to put on a young guy not named LBJ (and let's not forget LBJ still had to leave and let the Cavs suck to get a few No. 1's before they won a title). Anyway, hard for me to see the Mavs being better than the Blazers or Spurs over the next few years. And I actually like the Kings a little more than this list as well.

As for the Hawks, I don't get the narrative but I'm not sure I disagree too much with the ranking. As for the narrative, sure, Trae's defense is non-existent. That's fair for now. But how is it logical to look at the first few games of Trae's career (which were really bad) and then watch the rest of the season which were really good, and conclude that the first, smaller sample, is the "real Trae"?

Consider this:

Pre 12.01.18: 23 games - 15.6 pts / 7.6 ast / 3.0 reb / 37.8% FG / 24.8% 3PT / 1.065 PPS
Post 12.01.18: 58 games - 20.5 pts / 8.2 ast / 4.0 reb / 43.3% FG / 35.2% 3PT / 1.295 PPS

And yet apparently, the former is the "real Trae" while the latter is what, a mirage? Come on.

For Comparison purposes: LUKA last 58 games: 21.7 pts / 6.4 ast / 8.2 reb / 41.8% FG / 31.4% 3PT / 1.282 PPS
Not much different, imo.
Of course Trae is who he is! Players don't get better...especially Young ones. And especially their defensive skills unless you are the Golden Boy!
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#110 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Whoever ranked us 17 is a trash ass NBA writer. 2 likely all Stars all under 22ish..another potential above average starter/fringe All Star..and 2 lottery picks with plenty of cap space. This is the DREAM rebuild man.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#111 » by Buzzard » Tue May 14, 2019 10:08 pm

REHawksFan wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

17. Atlanta Hawks

Bleacher Report

Consider this:

Not much different, imo.

It is strange how a lot of the the pro writers are on the fence but former players like Barkley, Billups, Smith, McGrady love our future. Some are probably going to hang on to those first 23 games in disbelief of his last 58 simply because it is the Hawks and they will look so foolish in their projections of how Trae would be in the NBA. Trae gets off to a decent start, his first 58, things will normalize.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#112 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 am

Read on Twitter
hawkster411
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#113 » by hawkster411 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Schenck worked two years cleaning the books. We have salary and flexibility and that’s a genius GM move.

1. Attempt to sign Kevin Durant a generational talent. Do not sign mid tier free agents to max deals (hello Joe Johnson signing)
2. If the Hawks can’t sign generational free agent talent, work the trade routes to inherit dead money players + unprotected 1st round picks. This is about sustainability and we need to think ahead in preparation for when the NBA opens the flood gates for high school prospects to enter the draft.

Our rebuild is another 2 years away if we can’t sign Premier free agents. The league is noticing our style of play, and what player doesn’t want to play for Trae Young who can get you the ball.

With this years draft rule changes, seeing three teams jump 6-7 picks from their original slot position is INSANE. I rather play our odds in future drafts when the class is stronger than this years draft class.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 pm

A solid read. It's a nice reminder that we need to (ultimately) acquire the talent that best complements our top players -- not just throwing out players that don't really fit.

I do believe we're still acquiring talent at this point, but eventually we'll need to make sure our long term pieces all fit. Thus far, Schlenk has done a great job of doing so.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#115 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Tweet of the day -- The recipe for a great NBA future:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Read on Twitter
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#117 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:32 pm

The future in Atlanta...

I hope it involves the franchise adopting the Peach court and colors full-time.
Peach, black, and white

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:48 am

NBA Teams with the Best Shot at a Future Dynasty

Atlanta Hawks

Projected Dynasty Years
: 2021-26

The Hawks are already a delight to watch and were the NBA's fastest team last season with a 104.6 pace.

Atlanta hasn't just drafted the best players available; it's also done so while distributing the talent throughout all five positions.

Trae Young is the centerpiece of any potential dynasty and would have been the clear favorite for Rookie of the Year had it not been for Luka Doncic. Young put up a whopping 24.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 9.2 assists per game after the All-Star break last season, displaying the confidence and poise of a 10-year veteran.

The rest of the Hawks core is also extremely young but already productive.

John Collins, 21, led Atlanta with 19.5 points and 9.8 rebounds per game in just his second season while showing the ability to hit the three-ball (34.8 percent on 2.6 attempts). A natural power forward, he could see more time at center with the loss of Dewayne Dedmon in free agency. Kevin Huerter, 21, is a 6'7" shooting guard who drilled 38.5 percent of his three-pointers as a rookie next to Young.

While these three were enough to give Hawks fans hope, Atlanta nailed the draft by adding De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish to the mix. Hunter can play either forward position and projects as a lockdown defender, which Atlanta needed to make up for Young's weaknesses on that end.

Reddish is the wild card here. His fellow rookies voted the No. 10 overall pick as the most likely to have the best NBA career even though he was the third player selected from his own college. If he can develop into a star, the Hawks will have the potential to completely take over the Eastern Conference.
Bleacher Report
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#119 » by steady » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#120 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Great Find!!! :clap:

Yet here the Hawks are, one of the most promising young teams in the NBA, led by Young, who has the potential to start and finish his career in Atlanta as one of the most gifted passers the NBA has ever seen. The Hawks have a talented roster and are trending the right way. But let’s pump the brakes on the Hawks as a playoff team this season. Greatness can’t be rushed. It happens one step at a time, not overnight.

They hit the jackpot in this year’s NBA draft, picking De’Andre Hunter at No. 4 (after a trade with New Orleans) and kept pick No. 10, where they grabbed Cam Reddish out of Duke. The roster is light-years better than the team that went 29-53 last year, which was a five-win improvement over the year before. Success for the Hawks should be finishing in the 33- to 37-win sector. If that’s good enough to make the playoffs, something went terribly wrong out East.

A more realistic expectation of the Hawks is a return to the playoffs in the 2020-21 season. Atlanta is projected to have $77 million in cap space. Another year will also allow Atlanta’s coaching to evaluate their young talent.

Prediction: The Hawks making the 2020 playoffs would be a Cinderella story, a young group overachieving a year early. But there’s nothing wrong with not getting there next spring. Good things come to those who wait, and Atlanta will have its time to shine sooner than later.

Return to Atlanta Hawks