ImageImage

What do you want to see coming out of an IDEAL draft?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Re: What do you want to see coming out of an IDEAL draft? 

Post#61 » by REHawksFan » Mon May 20, 2019 12:22 am

thecampster wrote:Here's some draft night drama for you. Read this with these givens: 1) The Hawks have 31 million in cap space to play with going into the season. 2) The Hawks have 5 draft picks but only 3 roster spots. Meaning they need to use their draft night resources to acquire salary and lose at least 2 picks/players net.

Hawks trade the 10th pick, the 44th pick, Miles Plumlee
Memphis trades the 2nd pick, Chandler Parsons

Why the Grizzlies do it - The Grizzlies are set to be 2 time Luxury Tax offenders. They have 6 free agent holds on their roster and 4 non guaranteed contracts (only 1 they want to keep). If they dumped the 3 non-guarantees and their 5 best free agents (keeping Justin Holiday, Avery Bradley, Joahkim Noah, Tyler Dorsey, Delon Wright and Tyler Zeller) they are at 14 players (with draft pick) and 11.5 million over the LT. Making this trade frees up 13 million in salary and puts them under the LT (barely). They retain a lottery pick but get cap flexibility.

Why the Hawks do it - To move up for a chance at RJ Barrett or Deandre Hunter. They have cap space to burn.

Draft night trade #2

Hawks trade the 8th pick, 35th pick, Taurean Prince, Kent Bazemore and a top 5 protected 1st
New Orleans trades Anthony Davis.

Why the Pelicans do it. The Pelicans have 10 players under contract with only 6 of them on guarantees and 7 free agents to deal with. With their cap holds for free agents they are 12 million over the cap. By taking the 8th pick, Prince and Bazemore, they get 3 contributors while clearing up a small amount of cap space without having to keep their non-guarantees or having their hand forced on their free agents. This move accelerates their rebuild with Zion by a few years, gains them roster flexibility and retains $19 million in salary in Baze to trade for assets at the trade deadline.

Why the Hawks do it - Anthony Davis to pair with Collins, Young Heurter and Bembry with Spellman/Len/Parsons/Barrett (or Hunter) off the bench.

At 41 we take a chance on Tacko Fall and develop him as the 3rd center.

Draft night out - 8, 10, 35, 44, Prince, Bazemore, Plumlee
Draft night in - 2 (Barrett), Davis, Parsons.

Roster after Draft night

Young, Adams
Huerter, Bembry,
Barrett, Parsons,
Collins, Spellman,
Davis, Len, Fall

10 days later, resign Vince Carter, Justin Anderson.

We'd have 2 free roster spots and about $20 million to spend. It would also give us the money resign Anthony Davis to a max after the season when Parson's salary comes off or spin Parsons at the trade deadline for a longer contract.

What I don't want on draft night....5 picks and a crap shoot at 8 and 10. IE, my ideal draft is spin 3 of the picks and our players for a huge roster upgrade.

Interesting ideas but I'm fairly confident Pels arent trading AD on draft night. They want to sell him on playing with Zion imo.

I like the Memphis trade though. But I'd probably settle for 2 and 8 and call it a day.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#62 » by peoriabird » Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 am

No AJ Barrett for me. I don't see what people see in this guy
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,939

Post#63 » by Ice Trae » Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 am

Reddish or Hunter at 8

Hayes or Doumbouya at 10
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#64 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Can someone who likes Fernando sell me on him? Just seems like a low ceiling compared to other prospects and a floor that isn't super high either. Not sure I get the thought process. A bit older at nearly 21 years old, from what I've seen he profiles a poor man's Serge Ibaka with jump shooting range a little past the free throw line and well short of the 3pt line. Seems be decent but not a great at a lot of things (including good but not great athleticism and decent but not great size).
thecampster
Freshman
And1: 90

Post#65 » by thecampster » Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm

On the subject of RJ Barrett, his being taken 3rd or later reminds me a lot of the Jordan draft. Before Jordan were two centers taken. Hakeem and Sam Bowie. Now Hakeem was more than worthy of a number 1 overall pick and I get it. But Bowie was picked solely on being big and dominant in college. There were obvious flaws in his game and everyone knew. In the case of Jordan, many analysts questioned parts of his game as selfish and him being "lost on the floor" at times and questions about him not being able to hit the outside shot. Here read his draft summary from that era.

https://www.nbadraft.net/node/16360

Barrett is a decent but not bad defender. He has all the tools to be a great defender at the 2 and good at the 3 but he will need time to learn it in his first year. The comparison to Jordan here is mostly his height/length and weight. Being a few pounds heavier than Jordan as a rookie, his measurables are almost identical to include his leaping and foot speed. Jordan's handles were better as was his first step. But Barrett is a very similar player in many ways coming out of college and length is a huge asset right now in guarding the 3 point line and high pick and roll. Barrett's 3's percentage is lower than wanted out of college but the shot is quick and smooth and this seems a matter of craft work than talent.

The great benefit from Barrett is that much like Huerter, he can handle the basketball and he's an above average passer/decision maker. Unlike Prince/Bembry, Barrett is an asset on the floor that can reduce the burden on Trae as a playmaker and has the potential to be the guy with 10 seconds left on the clock, down by 1 you can rely on. Short answer is in a draft drowning in its lack of star capable players, Barrett has the most potential to be a star of anyone outside of Williamson.

On the topic of Zion...I'm always worried about people who look like they are too "thick" to play. I would be cautious in taking him #1 in any year except this one because of what I see as his injury potential. The NBA season is murder on knees and feet and he is carrying a ton of weight. His talent can't be denied.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#66 » by peoriabird » Mon May 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Comparing Jordan and Barrett? I've heard it all. Barrett is an marginally skilled slow footed over hyped one on one college player with little to no vision and play making skillls. His BBIQ is also lacking...Stay away!
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#67 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm

peoriabird wrote:Comparing Jordan and Barrett? I've heard it all. Barrett is an marginally skilled slow footed over hyped one on one college player with little to no vision and play making skillls. His BBIQ is also lacking...Stay away!

I am really, really eager to see a Knicks team with Dennis Smith, Kevin Knox and Barrett all vying for their shots. Could be really great entertainment.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#68 » by peoriabird » Mon May 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Comparing Jordan and Barrett? I've heard it all. Barrett is an marginally skilled slow footed over hyped one on one college player with little to no vision and play making skillls. His BBIQ is also lacking...Stay away!

I am really, really eager to see a Knicks team with Dennis Smith, Kevin Knox and Barrett all vying for their shots. Could be really great entertainment.

Its going to look like the 2019 Duke team without Zion.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#69 » by EazyRoc » Mon May 20, 2019 5:32 pm

I think it’s important for us to come out with two types of players in this draft (or FA). We need an ISO scorer bad. We all know the limitations of having a team full of good role players from our great teams when Bud was here. “System” type players tend to get shut down and struggle in the playoffs offensively. We need a guy that can get his own shot other than Trae.

We also need two way players to balance out the roster.

If we can come away with Bruno and Langford/Porter Jr, I’ll be happy with our draft.

We should be very aggressive in pursuing Butler and Durant in FAcy.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#70 » by peoriabird » Mon May 20, 2019 5:37 pm

EazyRoc wrote:I think it’s important for us to come out with two types of players in this draft (or FA). We need an ISO scorer bad. We all know the limitations of having a team full of good role players from our great teams when Bud was here. “System” type players tend to get shut down and struggle in the playoffs offensively. We need a guy that can get his own shot other than Trae.

If we can come away with Bruno and Langford/Porter Jr, I’ll be happy with our draft.

Personally I would rather have Kawhi over Durant
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#71 » by EazyRoc » Mon May 20, 2019 5:40 pm

peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:I think it’s important for us to come out with two types of players in this draft (or FA). We need an ISO scorer bad. We all know the limitations of having a team full of good role players from our great teams when Bud was here. “System” type players tend to get shut down and struggle in the playoffs offensively. We need a guy that can get his own shot other than Trae.

I’d be overjoyed with either one :lol:

I think Durant is more likely though.
thecampster
Freshman

Post#72 » by thecampster » Mon May 20, 2019 9:26 pm

2 things. I was clear that the comparison was mostly height, weight, length. Nearly identical.

Jordan pre-draft - 6'6", 195, 6'9" wingspan
Barrett pre-draft - 6'6.5", 205, 6'9" wingspan.

2nd comparison - In Jordan's era, SG's were not valued until after he changed the NBA and then fell out of favor 10ish years later. Hakeem and Bowie were both chosen before him based almost solely on position and height. A very similar thing is happening here as Zion is being drafted solely on athleticism (no one even knows what position he is going to play in the pros). Morant is being drafted second primarily due to Steph Curry and most recently Trae Young's impact as a volume scoring PG

The previous poster asked why people were enamored with Barrett. The point of my post was to clarify he is being looked at high mainly because he checks every box except shooting % and is the preferred size for a 2 way wing.

PTS - 22.6, REB - 7.6, AST - 4.3, FG% - 45.4

If you draft Zion, you are drafting potential but are mostly drafting insane measurables.
If you draft Morant, you are drafting hoping to get Trae Young 2.0 and ignoring that he played in a weaker conference.
If you draft Barrett you are drafting a play every day SG who can defend 2/3 and will eventually average 15 ppg as a pro (min), can rebound, pass and distribute. He is best with the ball in his hands and needs to work more on catch and shoot but he's big, strong and confident from day one.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#73 » by peoriabird » Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 pm

thecampster wrote:
peoriabird wrote:

If you draft Zion, you are drafting potential but are mostly drafting insane measurables.
If you draft Morant, you are drafting hoping to get Trae Young 2.0 and ignoring that he played in a weaker conference.
If you draft Barrett you are drafting a play every day SG who can defend 2/3 and will eventually average 15 ppg as a pro (min), can rebound, pass and distribute. He is best with the ball in his hands and needs to work more on catch and shoot but he's big, strong and confident from day one.

So you think that Barrett is a good shooter, passer, defender and can run a team? I respectfully disagree.
thecampster
Freshman

Post#74 » by thecampster » Mon May 20, 2019 11:04 pm

peoriabird wrote:
thecampster wrote:
peoriabird wrote:

So you think that Barrett is a good shooter, passer, defender and can run a team? I respectfully disagree.

We'll see but I'm not 100% sold on anyone in this draft as a future all-star. IMHO, Barrett is the best bet but no sure thing. Best guess is Zion is going to need a real ramp up period to contend with A) the bigger bodies and B) no Zone C) the methodology for post play in the NBA. I'm not sold on Morant. Is he good, yes....is he Trae...I don't think he'll be a good starter for a while. Barrett is all I can bet on to play every day and not give me a stroke.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by peoriabird » Mon May 20, 2019 11:13 pm

thecampster wrote: Barrett is all I can bet on to play every day and not give me a stroke.

If a wing shoots 66% from the free throw line, 30% from 3 while turning the ball over 3 time a game doesn't give a stroke then you must love Bazemore!
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#76 » by Radioblacktive1 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 pm

EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:

You think Durant is more likely Kawhi? Can you explain this?
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#77 » by REHawksFan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:19 am

Radioblacktive1 wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Personally I would rather have Kawhi over Durant

First, just to be clear, I'd rather have Kawhi than Durant even though I think Durant is the best player on the planet right now. I think Kawhi is a better fit for the Hawks.

In regards to your question though, I would surmise that Durant is more "gettable" for 2 reasons:

1. Unlike Kawhi and LA, Durant doesn't seem tied to any one location. Yes, he's rumored to the NYK but that's just because they are the Knicks. It's not like he's always dreamed of playing for them or something. So I think Durant is open to going pretty much anywhere.
2. Durant has a previus connection with Trae which, in today's NBA, is not nothing. Players like to play with their friends. It may not be the deciding factor, it may not even be in the top 2 or 3 considerations, but the fact that Trae and KD have an existing relationship puts the chances of signing KD higher than the chances of signing Kawhi who, as far as I can tell, as ZERO connection to anyone in the Hawks organization.

Keep in mind, I don't think KD is signing with the Hawks. I don't think they have any real shot at signing him. But I do think they have a real shot at landing a meeting with him. And that's more than I can say for Kawhi.
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#78 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 am

Radioblacktive1 wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Personally I would rather have Kawhi over Durant

RE covered it pretty well, but I’ll also add this. I think this next move will be a “legacy” move. I think he wants to go somewhere where it can be said he LEAD them to a championship.

I think Kawhi is more focused on getting back to SoCal.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#79 » by Spud2nique » Tue May 21, 2019 1:07 am

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:Can someone who likes Fernando sell me on him? Just seems like a low ceiling compared to other prospects and a floor that isn't super high either. Not sure I get the thought process. A bit older at nearly 21 years old, from what I've seen he profiles a poor man's Serge Ibaka with jump shooting range a little past the free throw line and well short of the 3pt line. Seems be decent but not a great at a lot of things (including good but not great athleticism and decent but not great size).

I asked the same a few days ago..on another thread. Haze came in with some answers. I’m really confused. From my eyes, I saw a Biyombo type but I was told that was not right and that he was more of a okc Ibaka.
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#80 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 1:49 am

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:

They’ll be stuck in lottery hell for another 5 years. I imagine they are trying to trade out of that spot. I couldn’t imagine 3 more poorly matched young players in the whole league.

Return to Atlanta Hawks