ImageImage

Schlenk’s Drafting Mindset

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

hawkster411
Ballboy
And1: 7

Schlenk’s Drafting Mindset 

Post#1 » by hawkster411 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 am

Schlenk wants to draft players that can dribble, pass, and shoot. In the 2019 draft, who can you identify that fits these draft criteria?

"I've said it 100 times, and it sounds really elementary, but being able to dribble, pass and shoot in today's league is really important," Schlenk said. "If you're a guy out there and you can't do those things, you're almost a liability. I would have no problem adding another 6-7 to 6-10 guy who can play on the perimeter to the roster because they'll just find a way for them to get on the floor."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/nba-draft-2019-rumors-at-least-4-teams-expected-to-explore-trading-picks/6kblixdi7s3j1bx6vi4jl6hjc :crazy:
gurpilo
Junior
And1: 30

Re: Schlenk’s Drafting Mindset 

Post#2 » by gurpilo » Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 am

That is why I think Bol and Doumbouya fit on that words. Pass, dribble and shoot.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 20, 2019 11:42 am

hawkster411 wrote:Schlenk wants to draft players that can dribble, pass, and shoot. In the 2019 draft, who can you identify that fits these draft criteria?

Point Guards
Ja Morant
Darius Garland
Coby White

Wings
Jarrett Culver (on the same volume -- shot 38% from three as a freshman/30% from three as a sophomore)
Cam Reddish
Kevin Porter, Jr.
Tyler Herro
Nickeil Alexander Walker (not a projected lottery pick)

Big Men
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
PJ Washington
Nic Claxton
Luka Samanic

Morant will be gone before we draft; Garland doesn't seem to be a good fit with our current PG.
NAW isn't worth a top-10 selection.
Grant Williams won't go top-20.
KPJ feels like another JR Smith.

Culver, Reddish, Jontay, PJ, Claxton and Samanic feel like natural fits for what Schlenk has stated he's looking for.

NOTE: I didn't include Bol Bol or Sekou because they have shown very little in terms of passing.

Spoiler:
From The Ringer

Bol Bol
MINUSES
Slow to react to pressure when playing in the post; it often seems like he doesn’t realize that passing the ball is an option.

Sekou Doumbouya
MINUSES
Poor decision-maker who wears blinders, missing open teammates for easy passes. Often settles for jump shots, even though he’s a subpar shooter.
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#4 » by REHawksFan » Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
hawkster411 wrote:Schlenk wants to draft players that can dribble, pass, and shoot. In the 2019 draft, who can you identify that fits these draft criteria?

Point Guards
Ja Morant
Darius Garland
Coby White

Wings
Jarrett Culver (on the same volume -- shot 38% from three as a freshman/30% from three as a sophomore)
Cam Reddish
Kevin Porter, Jr.
Tyler Herro
Nickeil Alexander Walker (not a projected lottery pick)

Big Men
Jontay Porter
Grant Williams
PJ Washington
Nic Claxton
Luka Samanic

Morant will be gone before we draft; Garland doesn't seem to be a good fit with our current PG.
NAW isn't worth a top-10 selection.
Grant Williams won't go top-20.
KPJ feels like another JR Smith.

Culver, Reddish, Jontay, PJ, Claxton and Samanic feel like natural fits for what Schlenk has stated he's looking for.

NOTE: I didn't include Bol Bol or Sekou because they have shown very little in terms of passing.

Spoiler:
From The Ringer

Bol Bol
MINUSES
Slow to react to pressure when playing in the post; it often seems like he doesn’t realize that passing the ball is an option.

Sekou Doumbouya
MINUSES
Poor decision-maker who wears blinders, missing open teammates for easy passes. Often settles for jump shots, even though he’s a subpar shooter.

Nic needs to go back to school. He's not ready for the NBA. If he stays out he's likely looking at g-league for a year or 2.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm

REHawksFan wrote:Nic needs to go back to school. He's not ready for the NBA. If he stays out he's likely looking at g-league for a year or 2.

Agreed.

Especially since UGA is getting a Five Star recruit next season, Claxton would have a real chance to improve his draft stock going into another weak draft.

He could solidify a 1st round spot and make a name for himself as a vet in SEC ball circles.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#6 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed May 22, 2019 3:06 am

Not confident that Sekou has developed the vision/passing part of the game yet.

Pretty sure with Bol, it has more to do with the lack of games... the talent is there, it just didn't get a full chance to come out in the short time he had... check this out from middle school, particularly at the 0:40 mark...

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#7 » by King Ken » Wed May 22, 2019 3:55 am

Pretty much what JL said. Except P.J. Washington and I am not buying Culver's shot but I've talked to ppl on the ground that says it has potential.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#8 » by td00 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 pm

Give me some combination of the following:

Hunter or Little
Herro or Langford
I like how PJ grew up this year at UK.
He’s way down the list, but that LSU big man Naz Reid is an energy guy.

Our slots are good for the cap, but that’s not an issue for us.
We are going to be very young again next year.

Return to Atlanta Hawks