ImageImage

Am I the only one that thinks Prince is better than Reddish?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Re: Am I the only one that thinks Prince is better than Reddish? 

Post#121 » by REHawksFan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
REHawksFan wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Ok, you think Huerter, #8 and #10 will be better cumulatively than Beal, I don't. We'll agree to disagree.

You've stated a couple of times that Kevin will not ever put up the numbers that Beal did this year. I'm curious why you think as you do given that their rookie year numbers are nearly identical?

You're right, I don't know. I really like Huerter but I find it really hard to believe that he'll put up 26/5/6 on good efficiency. Bradley Beal was tied with Kemba Walker as the 12th leading scorer in the NBA this past season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/year/2019/seasontype/2
Could Huerter do that some day? Maybe, but not likely. It's a proven commodity vs a speculative one.

A known vs a speculation is fair. I dont think outright dismissal of Huerter achieving those numbers one day is fair however. We simply don't know how he will progress over the next 6 seasons. Keep in mind Beal achieved those numbers in year seven of his career. And didn't really see a jump from his rookie production until year 5. We need to give Huerter more than one season to see how he progresses.
gurpilo
Junior
And1: 30

Post#122 » by gurpilo » Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Beal is a good player, but we don't need a SG. We already have Huerter as building block, at least for now. Beal is undersized, injury prone and is not a compliment to Young, Huerter is. Of course is a good player Beal but is not what we need.

Find a SF or a C, that is what we need.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#123 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:1. Harden
2. Thompson
3. DeRozan
4. Mitchell
5. Oladipo

Then, to your point, I think an argument could be made for Beal at #6, but I think McCollum, Barton and Harris are also in that conversation. If not for his age, Lou Williams, too.

Top 5 lists are very very subjective. I’d put Beal right around 3. I couldn’t have Oladipo in my list considering he’s only had one really good season to be in the convo and got hurt this year.

DeRozan is too limited in his ability to be a top 3 SG in my eyes. A SG that cant shoot ain’t a good look. Mitchell isn’t as good as Beal flat out.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#124 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:59 pm

cam1218 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
cam1218 wrote:I get the idea behind you wanting to acquire Beal, but I wouldn't do it at this point. We are too early in our rebuild to start trading away picks and young players for one guy that isn't a superstar (he is a great player, not a superstar). As of today, Schlenk only has one draft under his belt where we tanked to acquire a lottery pick or had multiple first round picks. I think Schlenk wants at least two drafts worth of lottery picks/multiple first rounders to start to build this team. This type of deal may be interesting to look into next year depending on what happens with our rookies, our record, and if we get the Cleveland pick or not. For now, lets keep adding assets and see where we are in a year.

I think aquiring a top 5 sg who's only about to turn 26 is "adding assets". He is an ideal match to play along TY in the backcourt.

It is adding an asset, not assets. I don't see it as a gain for us when we are giving up 3 assets - a guy who had a great rookie year and two top 10 picks for only one player. With where we are at in our rebuild, I see it holding us back more than helping us. Again, maybe next year it might be worth our while to look into trading picks but not now.

I'd say we are giving up 4 assets. Right now we are on track to add to our core via the draft and try to make a big acquisition with a max contract FA or two in the future.

We'd give up Huerter, the #8 pick, the #10 pick and max FA cap room. We can add the rookie contract players and then add a max deal so in trading them for Beal you also give up that cap room. He will be earning $28M+ when we are ready to strike big in FA and will close out part of that option.

I think Schlenk is aiming to convince a few big fish to come team up here so you have to count that cap room even if you discount its value given our history of striking out with FAs.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#125 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:A bad team all star is a player with good and sometime great offensive skills but his over all inpact on wins and loses is negated by the holes in the rest of his game. Sometimes a huy like Lebron can ein with those guys because Lebron covers up other players weakness but baring a pairing the Lebron like players, the bad team all star will cost a lot of money and cap space while limiting the team's success

But by your logic LeBron is a bad team all star right now :lol:

Except the Lakers were winning when he was healthy
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#126 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm

EazyRoc wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:1. Harden
2. Thompson
3. DeRozan
4. Mitchell
5. Oladipo

Then, to your point, I think an argument could be made for Beal at #6, but I think McCollum, Barton and Harris are also in that conversation. If not for his age, Lou Williams, too.

Top 5 lists are very very subjective. I’d put Beal right around 3. I couldn’t have Oladipo in my list considering he’s only had one really good season to be in the convo and got hurt this year.

DeRozan is too limited in his ability to be a top 3 SG in my eyes. A SG that cant shoot ain’t a good look. Mitchell isn’t as good as Beal flat out.

If I was ranking by tier, I'd say:

Tier 1 - James Harden
Tier 2 - Klay Thompson
Tier 3 - Donovan Mitchell, Bradley Beal, DeMar DeRozan, Victor Oladipo
Tier 4 - CJ McCollum, Devin Booker
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#127 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 7:19 pm

peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:A bad team all star is a player with good and sometime great offensive skills but his over all inpact on wins and loses is negated by the holes in the rest of his game. Sometimes a huy like Lebron can ein with those guys because Lebron covers up other players weakness but baring a pairing the Lebron like players, the bad team all star will cost a lot of money and cap space while limiting the team's success

But by your logic LeBron is a bad team all star right now :lol:

Wrong again.
55 starts - 28 wins. Extrapolating that out to a whole season (82 games) that’s 42 wins for the season which is good for 9th place and missing the playoffs.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#128 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm

EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:But by your logic LeBron is a bad team all star right now :lol:

Wrong again.
55 starts - 28 wins. Extrapolating that out to a whole season (82 games) that’s 42 wins for the season which is good for 9th place and missing the playoffs.

That's an over 500 record...what was their record without him? Was it better? If not he made them better unlike Kyrie
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#129 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Yeah so the Laker won 33% of their games without Lebron and over 50% with him...I would say Lebron made a significant difference still
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#130 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 pm

peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Except the Lakers were winning when he was healthy

Wrong again.

That's an over 500 record...what was their record without him? Was it better? If not he made them better unlike Kyrie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Look at you trying to move the goal posts.

The Lakers were a bad team last year with LeBron James on their roster. They were not a playoff caliber team even with him healthy. LeBron James, according to your logic, is a bad team All Star.
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#131 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 pm

peoriabird wrote:Yeah so the Lake won 33% of their games without Lebron and over 50% with him...I would say Lebron made a significant difference still

You don’t think the Wizards would’ve been significantly worse if Beal got hurt ? Or will you continue to deny it just for arguments sake ?
marco102
Junior
And1: 717

Post#132 » by marco102 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:58 pm

EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Yeah so the Lake won 33% of their games without Lebron and over 50% with him...I would say Lebron made a significant difference still

You don’t think the Wizards would’ve been significantly worse if Beal got hurt ? Or will you continue to deny it just for arguments sake ?

I'm not a mod, but maybe this discussion should continue in around the NBA, because it's sure not about Prince being better than Reddish.
I'm working with my firm to assist small businesses apply for the stimulus assistance. If you're interested please pm.
We are also offering a cashflow bootcamp for small businesses (https://www.aprio.com/whatsnext/covid-19-cash-flow-bootcamp/ ).
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#133 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 pm

marco102 wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:

I'm not a mod, but maybe this discussion should continue in around the NBA, because it's sure not about Prince being better than Reddish.
You’re right. I’m just playing along, but I’m done.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#134 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 am

marco102 wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:

I think the actual topic of trading for Beal, and comparing one of the assets that would used to do so kinda gives it some merit for it's own thread. If you believe Prince is better than Reddish, then it's easy to now included #8 for Beal. Unfortunately, 3of the 4 assets are certainly not worth trading all together for Beal.

Side note: I think OP used the wrong subject line.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#135 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 28, 2019 6:29 pm

2019 NBA Draft: The Stepien Outlines 4 Options for Atlanta Hawks

In a recent story on the site, Ben Rubin details four players that would make sense on the Atlanta Hawks in the 2019 NBA Draft.

First up is Cam Reddish, who has been a common link to the Atlanta Hawks recently and, as Rubin’s story entails, if there’s smoke about a player coming to Atlanta in the NBA Draft (such as Trae Young ahead of the 2018 NBA Draft), it likely means there is a raging fire. Furthermore, “if the Hawks are Warriors East,” Rubin says, “then there are a lot of reasons to equate a possible Reddish selection back to the Warriors pick of Harrison Barnes” – a player who helped lead the Warriors to their first title.

Certainly, Reddish would make for a terrific fit on the Hawks with his fluidity, size, shooting stroke as well as the fact that he plays a position of sore need for the Hawks going forward at the three. Rubin outlines the fact that Reddish will likely get a ton of wide-open looks due to the fact that the team already has three players (Trae Young, John Collins and Kevin Huerter) that must be accounted for on offense at all times.

Beyond that, Rubin outlines three players the Atlanta Hawks should seriously consider trading down for in the 2019 NBA Draft:
  • Grant Williams
  • Matisse Thybulle
  • Carsen Edwards

Edwards would definitely be an interesting choice, but Rubin’s reasoning for drafting him in the 2019 NBA Draft is sound:

“Carsen Edwards presents the possibility of a player who might allow the team to somewhat replicate Trae’s play style when the team goes to the bench. And he’s a player, if he’s successful, who could eventually be tied to great trade value.”
Soaring Down South
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#136 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 28, 2019 6:38 pm

From the above article on The Stepien:

There’s a lot of smoke about Cam Reddish going to Atlanta. A lot, from multiple different sources. If you remember last year, there was an equal amount of smoke about Trae Young going to Atlanta. More than that, Young was indeed Atlanta’s desired target.

It’s risky if a team doesn’t love Reddish as a prospect, but if I’m a team drafting before Atlanta at 8, I think about using this information to try to extract value from the Hawks in a move down. It’s a strategy Sam Hinkie used to the tune of a future first round pick when the Magic telegraphed their interest in Elfrid Payton.

That being said, let’s talk about Cam Reddish on Atlanta. Reddish is clearly one of the most divisive prospects in the class. A prospect with excellent height and length, nice fluidity, decent speed, poor burst and explosion, above average but not elite defensive potential and highly diverse shooting arsenal that one might overlook because of distance percentages (silly) and his on the court red flags (how he lacks influence, his horrid 2-point percentage and percentage at the rim, and also lack of decision-making and awareness).

On most teams, it would likely be right to do so. On Atlanta, if he ends up there, Reddish is going to have a very good opportunity to be excellent. It’s not because he’s McGrady. (He’s not.) It’s not because he’s the second coming of Klay Thompson. (He probably wouldn’t be so efficient with such attention given to him.) It’s because Trae Young, like Stephen Curry, can space the floor vertically in the way few players can, while being an even more dynamic passer.

Spoiler:
Look at how close to mid-court Trae is at the outset of this play and the opponent’s attention on him.

Shooters in Atlanta’s offense are already getting wide open looks from 3 like this one. More than a few of those are going to go to Reddish, either on the direct pass or on ball movement against a rotating defense.

Then there’s the problem for opponents of how to guard both Huerter and Reddish. I’m not sure any team has ever had two players so tall who were so comfortable off of such an array of shooting actions. One of those two is likely to draw a weaker defender in regards to track-and-follow and off-ball switches on screens, and accounting for these two is going to be a nightmare.

Yes, I am not convinced about Reddish’s in-the-run-of-play decision-making, or his ability to score contested shots at the rim. That would usually be a big deal, but Atlanta has a player who is greatly going to simplify decision-making for Reddish. First decision: shoot the ball or not. Possible second decision: swing the ball to a wide open man or pump fake and then shoot the ball off of one dribble. That’s basically it.

If you believe in Cam Reddish’s stroke, and if Reddish gets his eye focus right (something that should be easily fixable with enough practice, though it’s possible he might need contacts, which is also easily fixable) there are a lot of reasons to believe in Reddish’s shot.

Return to Atlanta Hawks