ImageImage

Am I the only one that thinks Prince is better than Reddish?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Re: Am I the only one that thinks Prince is better than Reddish? 

Post#41 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 am

peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:No they weren't...Huerter was a better shooter and passer while Beal got to line more and shot free throws better. Everything else was basically the same.

That is incorrect.

They shot nearly identical percentages. Beal was better from the line, had more assists, scored more points.

Per 36 to adjust for minutes played. Beal has the clear edge. Advanced stats also favored Beal.

Huerter's TS was 53.3 vs Beal's 51.5
Assist per 40 4.2 vs 3.1 edge for Huerter
All of the defensive metrics were the same. Beal just got to the line more and hit a higher percentage.
Beal also had a higher usage rate

Ah yeah..you’re right about ast per 36/40. I was looking at the wrong column.

So to recap.

Kevin Huerter is a better passer and slightly (emphasis here on slightly) more efficient shooter.

Beal is clearly the better scorer and outperforms KH on most other advanced stats outside of TS (Win shares/BPM/VORP)

After deep diving on both their numbers (and watching KH this season), I still don’t see KH as a player that can produce at the level Beal is producing at.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#42 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue May 21, 2019 2:19 am

peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:
peoriabird wrote:No they weren't...Huerter was a better shooter and passer while Beal got to line more and shot free throws better. Everything else was basically the same.

That is incorrect.

They shot nearly identical percentages. Beal was better from the line, had more assists, scored more points.

Per 36 to adjust for minutes played. Beal has the clear edge. Advanced stats also favored Beal.

All of the defensive metrics were the same. Beal just got to the line more and hit a higher percentage.

Why would you compare rookie stats anyway when considering moving present Huerter to the bench for present Beal?! It's not like either rookie stat line was absurdly good or anything. Every team would take Beal now over Huerter in the starting lineup regardless of what they look like as rookie.
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#43 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 am

peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote: Its not likely that KH ever develops to be as good of an overall player as Beal.

I don't know about that..Their rookie numbers are very similar.

Beal dropped 26/5/6 this past season on good efficiency and is a multiple time All Star, a known commodity and a top 5 sg. AN Beal/Young backcourt immediately becomes top 5. You think Huerter can turn into that?
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#44 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 am

HMFFL wrote:Beal:
2019-20: $27,093,019
2020-21: $28,751,775
2021-22: UFA

I have my doubts that our ownership would be willing to invest longterm in Beal.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Why? With the increased revenue from the dynamic backcourt of Young/Beal, it would be bad business not to.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#45 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:That is incorrect.

Why would you compare rookie stats anyway when considering moving present Huerter to the bench for present Beal?! It's not like either rookie stat line was absurdly good or anything. Every team would take Beal now over Huerter in the starting lineup regardless of what they look like as rookie.

You answered you question in the previous post. We aren't 1 player away so our path may take some time which will allow our young players to turn into what Beal is now in a few years.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#46 » by EazyRoc » Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am

He tends to lean on the homer side of the fence. We all like KH here though and wouldn’t trade him away especially when we have other assets to make the deal work hypothetically. I like the idea though and think Beal would be a very good fit because he’s very good from the perimeter off the ball and can still score with the ball in his hands. Beal alone wouldn’t move the needle for us though and trading away both draft picks makes it harder to fill the holes we have that would make adding Beal worth while.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#47 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 am

gundysmullet wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
EazyRoc wrote: Its not likely that KH ever develops to be as good of an overall player as Beal.

I don't know about that..Their rookie numbers are very similar.

Beal dropped 26/5/6 this past season on good efficiency and is a multiple time All Star

While winning 3 more games than the Hawks. All Star reserve by the way.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#48 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 am

peoriabird wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Huerter's TS was 53.3 vs Beal's 51.5

You answered you question in the previous post. We aren't 1 player away so our path may take some time which will allow our young players to turn into what Beal is now in a few years.

That doesn't really answer the question because adding Beal and keeping Huerter is different from trading Huerter plus 2 lotto picks for Beal. If the trade was Beal for Huerter, I do that in a heartbeat.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#49 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 am

Also fans never take into consideration chemistry. Collins, Trae and Huerter have been hanging out together ever since they've been drafted. MANAGEMENT SUDDENLY STEPS IN AND SAYS HUERTER YOU'RE OUT AND TRAE YOUR NEW RUNNING MATE IS A 2 YEAR RENTAL. Makes no sense,
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,938

Post#50 » by Ice Trae » Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 am

Getting Beal does exactly what Schlenk and Pierce don't want to happen - skipping steps. He's not going to push this core over the hump in his 2 year window here so we're basically giving away assets for free.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by peoriabird » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 am

Ice Trae wrote:Getting Beal does exactly what Schlenk and Pierce don't want to happen - skipping steps. He's not going to push this core over the hump in his 2 year window here so we're basically giving away assets for free.

Somehow this makes sense to some people! Amazing!
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#52 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 am

gundysmullet wrote: I think Taurean Prince is better in every way.

Today, sure he is.

But whoever we draft, it's not really about today or this season, or probably even the season after that... projecting Reddish in 3 years, he could exceed Prince... and for that matter, I think Reddish would potentially be taking away minutes from Huerter much sooner than Prince, assuming Prince is here.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#53 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 am

Ice Trae wrote:Getting Beal does exactly what Schlenk and Pierce don't want to happen - skipping steps. He's not going to push this core over the hump in his 2 year window here so we're basically giving away assets for free.

If he were 33, I'd agree. He's only 25 about to be 26.
Ice Trae
RealGM

Post#54 » by Ice Trae » Tue May 21, 2019 3:54 am

gundysmullet wrote:

It has nothing to do with age. At the end of the day, Beal isn't going to push this team over the hump. Why rush the rebuild and trade potential assets to climb back into mediocrity? Let the young guns show out and continue to stock picks and look for a splash via free agency, no need to give up anything right now.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#55 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 am

Ice Trae wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

It has nothing to do with age. At the end of the day, Beal isn't going to push this team over the hump. Why rush the rebuild and trade potential assets to climb back into mediocrity? Let the young guns show out and continue to stock picks and look for a splash via free agency, no need to give up anything right now.

But that's exactly my point, Bradley Beal is the same age as Taurean Prince, Alex Pothryess, Justin Anderson, and Alex Len, it's not rushing anything. I think because he came into the NBA at 19 we all think he's gotta be in his 30's, I know I still do sometimes, but he's not. Plus, you're arguing that he could coast potential assets; that's correct, you've gotta give something to get something and a top 5 sg in the NBA is gonna cost you something, but the cool thing is that he's not "potential" he's a known commodity, and a darn good one at that. Answer me this honestly; what are the chances that Huerter, Reddish and anyone at # 10 is gonna average 26 ppg on good efficiency? And in the miniscule chance that one of them does, how long will you have to wait for it to materialize. Beal is a top 5 sg and to pair him with trey Young would be amazing.
Ice Trae
RealGM

Post#56 » by Ice Trae » Tue May 21, 2019 4:31 am

gundysmullet wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

But that's exactly my point, Bradley Beal is the same age as Taurean Prince, Alex Pothryess, Justin Anderson, and Alex Len, it's not rushing anything. I think because he came into the NBA at 19 we all think he's gotta be in his 30's, I know I still do sometimes, but he's not. Plus, you're arguing that he could coast potential assets; that's correct, you've gotta give something to get something and a top 5 sg in the NBA is gonna cost you something, but the cool thing is that he's not "potential" he's a known commodity, and a darn good one at that. Answer me this honestly; what are the chances that Huerter, Reddish and anyone at # 10 is gonna average 26 ppg on good efficiency? Ans in the miniscule chance that one of them does, how long will you have to wait for it to materialize. Beal is a top 5 sg and to pair him with trey Young would be amazing.

I'm sorry but you're acting like Beal is going to push this current squad into contention within 2 years aka rushing the rebuild. Instead of Forcing this squad back into mediocrity take it slow and let the young guys develop. Trae is 20, Collins 21, they have plenty of time to build this team for the future. Why give up our current assets for a 2 year rental? I just don't get it.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#57 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 4:47 am

Ice Trae wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:It has nothing to do with age. At the end of the day, Beal isn't going to push this team over the hump. Why rush the rebuild and trade potential assets to climb back into mediocrity? Let the young guns show out and continue to stock picks and look for a splash via free agency, no need to give up anything right now.

But that's exactly my point, Bradley Beal is the same age as Taurean Prince, Alex Pothryess, Justin Anderson, and Alex Len, it's not rushing anything. I think because he came into the NBA at 19 we all think he's gotta be in his 30's, I know I still do sometimes, but he's not. Plus, you're arguing that he could coast potential assets; that's correct, you've gotta give something to get something and a top 5 sg in the NBA is gonna cost you something, but the cool thing is that he's not "potential" he's a known commodity, and a darn good one at that. Answer me this honestly; what are the chances that Huerter, Reddish and anyone at # 10 is gonna average 26 ppg on good efficiency? Ans in the miniscule chance that one of them does, how long will you have to wait for it to materialize. Beal is a top 5 sg and to pair him with trey Young would be amazing.

I'm sorry but you're acting like Beal is going to push this current squad into contention within 2 years aka rushing the rebuild. Instead of Forcing this squad back into mediocrity take it slow and let the young guys develop. Trae is 20, Collins 21, they have plenty of time to build this team for the future. Why give up our current assets for a 2 year rental? I just don't get it.

That's the 2nd time that you've used that term; what exactly are you "rushing"? And isn't 2 years from now "the future"? And why on earth would he be a rental? This team is on the rise, TY gave them a lot of buzz and Beal would be part of one of the best young backcourts in the NBA, and the Hawks could offer him the most money. To me, this is a no brainer, but I think that Reddish is gonna be a bust, so that surely influences my opinion.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#58 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 am

gundysmullet wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

That's the 2nd time that you've used that term; what exactly are you "rushing"? And isn't 2 years from now "the future"? And why on earth would he be a rental? And how is adding a multiple time All Star who's only about to be 26, who just averaged 26 ppg this past season and is superior to Huerter and Reddish "forcing the Hawks into mediocrity", how does a better player do that when the players that you're giving up are not as good? This team is on the rise, TY gave them a lot of buzz and Beal would be part of one of the best young backcourts in the NBA, and the Hawks could offer him the most money. To me, this is a no brainer, but I think that Reddish is gonna be a bust, so that surely influences my opinion.
Ice Trae
RealGM

Post#59 » by Ice Trae » Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 am

gundysmullet wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:

That's the 2nd time that you've used that term; what exactly are you "rushing"? And isn't 2 years from now "the future"? And why on earth would he be a rental? This team is on the rise, TY gave them a lot of buzz and Beal would be part of one of the best young backcourts in the NBA, and the Hawks could offer him the most money. To me, this is a no brainer, but I think that Reddish is gonna be a bust, so that surely influences my opinion.

This is exactly what I mean. Our core's potential is exciting but you're too quick to put them on a pedestal. Say we get Beal and then the core fizzes out. What then? Now we're stuck with a 2 year rental who will probably want out and we lose out on Huerter who could have developed into something special, our 8th and 10th pick who could have shown potential to be something good in this league, etc. That's what I mean by rushing. Take the development process slow and let the young guys play and play. Beal is a FA soon. If Schlenk wants him we can get him then as we'll have the cap space to do so if we don't get max FA's the years prior.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#60 » by gundysmullet » Tue May 21, 2019 5:13 am

Ice Trae wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:I'm sorry but you're acting like Beal is going to push this current squad into contention within 2 years aka rushing the rebuild. Instead of Forcing this squad back into mediocrity take it slow and let the young guys develop. Trae is 20, Collins 21, they have plenty of time to build this team for the future. Why give up our current assets for a 2 year rental? I just don't get it.

This is exactly what I mean. Our core's potential is exciting but you're too quick to put them on a pedestal. Say we get Beal and then the core fizzes out. What then? Now we're stuck with a 2 year rental who will probably want out and we lose out on Huerter who could have developed into something special, our 8th and 10th pick who could have shown potential to be something good in this league, etc. That's what I mean by rushing. Take the development process slow and let the young guys play and play. Beal is a FA soon. If Schlenk wants him we can get him then as we'll have the cap space to do so if we don't get max FA's the years prior.

You're arguing against yourself without realizing it. You say, "what if the core fizzles out", I'm assuming you mean Trae and JC, because Huerter would be off to the Wizards. What are the odds that either TY or JC will "fizzle out"? Slim to none. But then you argue that Huerter and the two picks could turn into something good, well using your own logic, don't they have just as much of a chance, if not more so to "fizzle out" than TY or JC do? I saw every single Duke game this past season, Cam Reddish just isn't that good, Prince is better than him. So to get a stud sg to pair with TY, JC and TP and who would still be under contract for 2 more years is 100% worth giving up Huerter, Reddish and #10, imho. But anyway, you don't agree, and neither of us are gonna change the others mind, so we're just wasting our time at this point.

Return to Atlanta Hawks