ImageImage

Addressing Backup PG via draft...Yay or Nay?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Addressing Backup PG via draft...Yay or Nay? 

Post#1 » by REHawksFan » Tue May 21, 2019 9:05 pm

In one of the other threads I mentioned my preference would be to address Wing and Center with 8 / 10 (or trading back) and would also like to come out of the draft with a backup PG.

What do y'all think about the following prospects?

Ty Jerome
6'5" with 6'5" wingspan / 22 yrs old
13.6 pts / 5.5 ast / 4.4 reb
43.5% FG / 39.9% 3PT / 73.6% FT
55.5% TS% / 36% Proj NBA 3PT / 3.26 A/TO
22.8 PER

Shamorie Ponds
6'0.5" with 6'3" wingspan / 21 yrs old
19.7 pts / 5.1 ast / 4.1 reb
45.4% FG / 35.3% 3PT / 83.6% FT
57.7% TS% / 37% Proj NBA 3PT / 2.60 A/TO
26.9 PER

Carsen Edwards
6'0.25" with 6'6" wingspan / 21 yrs old
24.3 pts / 2.9 ast / 3.6 reb
39.3% FG / 35.5% 3PT / 83.7% FT
54.0% TS% / 40.1% Proj NBA 3PT / 0.92 A/TO
23.1 PER

Any others you like?

From the above 3, I prefer Jerome for his versatility and size but am really intrigued by Ponds with his scoring ability. Don't really care for Edwards.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Re: Addressing Backup PG via draft...Yay or Nay? 

Post#2 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 pm

Jerome has just such a high BBIQ... can't pass him up... and you can legitimately put him on the floor beside Trae at times, too.
Sanjuro
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Sanjuro » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Do we look at it more as a true back-up that plays 12-15 mins a game behind Trae or a combo that can guard both positions and play behind Huerter as well? Baze will be moving on after next season so I prefer taking chance on a little taller guard like Jerome. Trae can always play off ball if needed for ten minutes are so. Thestepien seems to think that Edwards and Trae can play together and he is who we should be targeting with one of our seconds or moving up in late first round
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#4 » by Spud2nique » Tue May 21, 2019 11:07 pm

I like Jerome if we are going to go that route. Rather prolly get a cheap vet.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#5 » by Hazer » Tue May 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Definitely Ty, but prefer a vet due to the overall youth of the team.
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#6 » by kg01 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:59 am

Nay. I don't want my starter and his backup learning on the job.

I love Jerome though.

Edwards is gonna bust so hard.
king01 :king:
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 973

Post#7 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 am

Jerome has a high enough IQ to make his rookie status seem more like a 2-3 year vet honestly. Coming in as an older rookie with that kind of IQ seems worthy of taking a shot on developing as a backup to Trae and leader of the 2nd unit.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

I would like the Hawks to get one or two of the four guys below at the #42 pick or undrafted free agent as a backup to Trae...

Markus Howard - poor man's Trae who can learn alot practicing with Trae, can be a solid bench guy for the next 10 years
Chris Clemons - the next Nate Robinson, very gritty and crafty, could be a future 6th man of the year
Jerrick Harding - 2nd round pick who could be an NBA starter or bust
Shizz Alston - 2nd round pick who could be an NBA starter or bust

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,487

Post#9 » by dms269 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 pm

I would prefer a vet pg or even a vet combo guard to a rookie. I', not against taking someone with one of the 2nd rounders and stash in College Park for a season. The primary backup should be a vet who can help Trae grow.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#10 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

It's conceivable that you can have both.

I just think Jerome is a quality addition all the way around if he costs a back-end 1st, so whether he's the first or second option off the bench in 2019-20, doesn't matter to me all that much.

McConnell seems one of the most logical FAs out there if you go that route, having been with Pierce for a few years in Philly.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#11 » by MaceCase » Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 pm

3rd string with the potential to move up? Sure. Potential to play in 2 PG lineups without giving up too much size and length? Sure. Otherwise I prefer a more steady hand, someone who may not be spectacular but also not terrible either.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
LeftHandThriller
Junior
And1: 188

Post#12 » by LeftHandThriller » Fri May 24, 2019 1:29 am

I’d rather sign a cheap vet. We already have Adams on a 2 way contract for 3rd string.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 pm

An abridged version:

Constructing the Hawks: The realistic backup point guard options for Atlanta

The Hawks will be in the market for a backup point guard, however, because Jaylen Adams is currently the only option on the roster besides Young, and Adams is more of a third option than a second. Adams also has a non-guaranteed contract and could be waived if space needs to be made available this summer.

here’s a look at the realistic candidates the Hawks could go after to fill their backup point guard role:

Malcolm Brogdon, Milwaukee Bucks, restricted free agent

The Bucks are in a precarious situation heading into the summer as Brogdon, Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez, George Hill and Nikola Mirotic are all headed into free agency. Brogdon is expected to command a deal of at least $15 million per year, but the Hawks certainly could overpay for the off-ball guard who would be an excellent fit alongside Trae Young in the backcourt and play backup point when Young is off the floor.

Out of all the realistic options the Hawks could sign in the backcourt this summer, Brogdon is likely the best choice. Brogdon also grew up in Atlanta and went to high school at Greater Atlanta Christian in Norcross, led his team to two state titles and was named Mr. Georgia Basketball. Brogdon has called Atlanta “the best city in the world — other than Milwaukee,” so coming home and playing for the Hawks likely would be something he would welcome.

Spoiler:
Atlanta is one of the few teams that can afford to overpay for Brogdon, and it might be the smart thing to do because the Bucks are going to be pushed against the tax. Atlanta, or any other team that can afford such a move, would be forcing the Bucks’ hand if Brogdon was offered a deal of four years and $80-plus million. A deal like this would account for most, if not all, of Brogdon’s prime years, as he’s 26 years old, so the value might not be far off if the Hawks did decide to make a big offer.

Brogdon’s shooting splits of 50/43/93 make him one of the most-efficient shooters across the league, and he would help mask Young’s deficiencies on defense plus give the Hawks a proven secondary ballhandler, which would help Young continue to grow off the ball. Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce has said that Kevin Huerter, who currently plays most of his minutes at shooting guard where Brogdon would slot in, has the versatility to play small forward. That would require Huerter to add more strength, which is something that he needs to do anyway as the key to stopping him right now is to be as physical with him.

Patrick Beverley, Los Angeles Clippers, unrestricted free agent

A lot of what the Hawks should be looking for in free agency is how the team can improve on defense. Enter Beverley.

Beverley is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA despite being an undersized guard. He’s a pest on defense and plays with a motor and grit not many in the league can match on a nightly basis.

Beverley is nowhere near the distributor that Young is, and he struggles driving in the paint as he only made 49 percent of his shots from zero to 3 feet from the basket. But the Hawks wouldn’t be paying him to be elite in these areas, anyway.

Having Beverley in the locker room would give Young an example for how he can improve on defense and give the Hawks another veteran who isn’t afraid to speak his mind in a constructive way.

T.J. McConnell, Philadelphia 76ers, unrestricted free agent

McConnell wouldn’t be a splashy signing for the Hawks, but he would be a decent fit for the team because of his connections to Pierce when he was an assistant for the 76ers. McConnell saw his minutes get reduced in the playoffs as Brett Brown opted to use Jimmy Butler as the backup point guard. McConnell was undrafted out of Arizona and turned into one of Philadelphia’s fan favorites because of how hard he plays every single time he’s on the floor as if he’s still proving he belongs in the league.

The problem with adding McConnell is he doesn’t really fit the team’s offensive shot profile because he isn’t a shooter.

Other options:

Seth Curry, Portland Trail Blazers, unrestricted free agent
Delon Wright, Memphis Grizzlies, restricted free agent
Ish Smith, Detroit Pistons, unrestricted free agent
The Athletic
tomaHAWKslam
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#14 » by tomaHAWKslam » Wed May 29, 2019 2:11 pm

I'd absolutely LOVE to see the Hawks over pay Patrick Beverly. I think he'd be the perfect combo guard to help teach this young squad what it takes to play team defence.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#15 » by shakes0 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm

nay, get a vet.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#16 » by kg01 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:An abridged version:

Constructing the Hawks: The realistic backup point guard options for Atlanta

The Hawks will be in the market for a backup point guard, however, because Jaylen Adams is currently the only option on the roster besides Young, and Adams is more of a third option than a second. Adams also has a non-guaranteed contract and could be waived if space needs to be made available this summer.

here’s a look at the realistic candidates the Hawks could go after to fill their backup point guard role:

Malcolm Brogdon, Milwaukee Bucks, restricted free agent

The Bucks are in a precarious situation heading into the summer as Brogdon, Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez, George Hill and Nikola Mirotic are all headed into free agency. Brogdon is expected to command a deal of at least $15 million per year, but the Hawks certainly could overpay for the off-ball guard who would be an excellent fit alongside Trae Young in the backcourt and play backup point when Young is off the floor.

Out of all the realistic options the Hawks could sign in the backcourt this summer, Brogdon is likely the best choice. Brogdon also grew up in Atlanta and went to high school at Greater Atlanta Christian in Norcross, led his team to two state titles and was named Mr. Georgia Basketball. Brogdon has called Atlanta “the best city in the world — other than Milwaukee,” so coming home and playing for the Hawks likely would be something he would welcome.

Spoiler:
Atlanta is one of the few teams that can afford to overpay for Brogdon, and it might be the smart thing to do because the Bucks are going to be pushed against the tax. Atlanta, or any other team that can afford such a move, would be forcing the Bucks’ hand if Brogdon was offered a deal of four years and $80-plus million. A deal like this would account for most, if not all, of Brogdon’s prime years, as he’s 26 years old, so the value might not be far off if the Hawks did decide to make a big offer.

Brogdon’s shooting splits of 50/43/93 make him one of the most-efficient shooters across the league, and he would help mask Young’s deficiencies on defense plus give the Hawks a proven secondary ballhandler, which would help Young continue to grow off the ball. Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce has said that Kevin Huerter, who currently plays most of his minutes at shooting guard where Brogdon would slot in, has the versatility to play small forward. That would require Huerter to add more strength, which is something that he needs to do anyway as the key to stopping him right now is to be as physical with him.

Patrick Beverley, Los Angeles Clippers, unrestricted free agent

A lot of what the Hawks should be looking for in free agency is how the team can improve on defense. Enter Beverley.

Beverley is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA despite being an undersized guard. He’s a pest on defense and plays with a motor and grit not many in the league can match on a nightly basis.

Beverley is nowhere near the distributor that Young is, and he struggles driving in the paint as he only made 49 percent of his shots from zero to 3 feet from the basket. But the Hawks wouldn’t be paying him to be elite in these areas, anyway.

Having Beverley in the locker room would give Young an example for how he can improve on defense and give the Hawks another veteran who isn’t afraid to speak his mind in a constructive way.

T.J. McConnell, Philadelphia 76ers, unrestricted free agent

McConnell wouldn’t be a splashy signing for the Hawks, but he would be a decent fit for the team because of his connections to Pierce when he was an assistant for the 76ers. McConnell saw his minutes get reduced in the playoffs as Brett Brown opted to use Jimmy Butler as the backup point guard. McConnell was undrafted out of Arizona and turned into one of Philadelphia’s fan favorites because of how hard he plays every single time he’s on the floor as if he’s still proving he belongs in the league.

The problem with adding McConnell is he doesn’t really fit the team’s offensive shot profile because he isn’t a shooter.

Other options:

Seth Curry, Portland Trail Blazers, unrestricted free agent
Delon Wright, Memphis Grizzlies, restricted free agent
Ish Smith, Detroit Pistons, unrestricted free agent
The Athletic

I don't like any of those. McConnell has become massively overrated much like DellavaDLeague did.
king01 :king:
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#17 » by ATL Boy » Thu May 30, 2019 8:35 pm

I'd rather have a steady vet backup PG. Patrick Beverley has been on my wishlist for a while now - excellent defender who brings intensity and energy to a locker room and on the court. He's at the top of my list for a backup. Seth Curry is another dude I'd like to have because he'd fit the team's shooting identity, but it would be impossible to play him and Trae at the same time due to defensive deficiencies.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#18 » by azuresou1 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Re: drafting a backup PG, I'm uncomfortable with having two PGs both learning on the fly, particularly when one of them is as close to a franchise player as we're likely to get. Too much potential for destructive competition for minutes. I'd much rather sign a vet backup to play 10-15 minutes a game and show Trae the ropes.

No thanks to Brogdon or McConnell. Brogdon is going to want at LEAST $8M annually, which is a luxury we can't afford for a rebuilding team. McConnell frankly isn't that good (Philly stopped playing him entirely in the playoffs) and he brings nothing to the table.

Pat Bev is a dirty player who I personally despise... but I would also love him if he was on our team. I don't know that he would be happy with a backup role though, at 30 years old he might still be looking for a starting spot.

Some other options I like to varying degrees:
- Rondo (love the savvy and defense focus, but may cause chemistry issues)
- Return of the (Shelvin) Mack
- Cory Joseph (mediocre but won't rock the boat)
- Jose Calderon (strictly as a mentor)
- Tim Frazier (actually a really good passer, would allow our second unit to develop with reasonably good ball movement)
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:54 am

What about this guy?
Read on Twitter
?s=20
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#20 » by REHawksFan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:11 am

azuresou1 wrote:Re: drafting a backup PG, I'm uncomfortable with having two PGs both learning on the fly, particularly when one of them is as close to a franchise player as we're likely to get. Too much potential for destructive competition for minutes. I'd much rather sign a vet backup to play 10-15 minutes a game and show Trae the ropes.

No thanks to Brogdon or McConnell. Brogdon is going to want at LEAST $8M annually, which is a luxury we can't afford for a rebuilding team. McConnell frankly isn't that good (Philly stopped playing him entirely in the playoffs) and he brings nothing to the table.

Pat Bev is a dirty player who I personally despise... but I would also love him if he was on our team. I don't know that he would be happy with a backup role though, at 30 years old he might still be looking for a starting spot.

Some other options I like to varying degrees:
- Rondo (love the savvy and defense focus, but may cause chemistry issues)
- Return of the (Shelvin) Mack
- Cory Joseph (mediocre but won't rock the boat)
- Jose Calderon (strictly as a mentor)
- Tim Frazier (actually a really good passer, would allow our second unit to develop with reasonably good ball movement)

$8M? Try again. Reports I've seen say a hell of a lot more than that. Like pushing $20M.

If Brogdon would sign for $8M do it immediately. LOL. Hawks have $30+ Mil in cap space and you dont think they can afford an $8M player? Not following that at all.

Return to Atlanta Hawks