thecampster
Freshman
And1: 90

Re: Clint Capela is on the block. 

Post#21 » by thecampster » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:11 am

REHawksFan wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
REHawksFan wrote:
Yeah but that makes the deal a lot less attractive to me. I dont necessarily want to acquire Capela with cap space. I want to trade Plumlee and a pick for Capela so as to acquire him AND keep the cap space.

:nonono: You don't dump an expiring Plumlee using a top 10 lottery pick, that's a waste of an asset when Schlenk has said he'sin talent acquisition mode.
Hawks can have $40 mil in capspace this offseason, taking on Capela reduces that to $23 mil to fill out the rest of the roster.
If we need the roster spot, just waive Plumlee.

If the choice is Plumlee and #10 or just take Capela into capspace, I'm taking Capela into Capspace everytime and keep #10. (Unless KD or Kawhinis signing here and we need the space).

I don't follow. If it costs the pick either way, why would you waive Plumlee instead of trading him to keep cap flexibility? Houston isn't trading Capela for just cap space. The pick is included either way.

If you require moving Plumlee as part of the deal you eliminate the number of teams willing to trade you an asset. Nobody wants him at $12 million for one season except a team looking for cap relief at the end of the year. Only a few teams would want or need Plumlee. He would be a burden to anyone not wanting cap relief. A waive clears a few million off the books if he resigns with another team. Basically...waive 12 mil plumlee...signs with chicago for 2.5 mil.....Hawks save a portion of the 2.5 mil off the cap. Get a better player in trade (because Houston wouldn't want the salary back and wouldn't do it without it) and just waive.
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#22 » by REHawksFan » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:30 am

thecampster wrote:
REHawksFan wrote:
jayu70 wrote: :nonono: You don't dump an expiring Plumlee using a top 10 lottery pick, that's a waste of an asset when Schlenk has said he'sin talent acquisition mode.
Hawks can have $40 mil in capspace this offseason, taking on Capela reduces that to $23 mil to fill out the rest of the roster.
If we need the roster spot, just waive Plumlee.

If the choice is Plumlee and #10 or just take Capela into capspace, I'm taking Capela into Capspace everytime and keep #10. (Unless KD or Kawhinis signing here and we need the space).

I don't follow. If it costs the pick either way, why would you waive Plumlee instead of trading him to keep cap flexibility? Houston isn't trading Capela for just cap space. The pick is included either way.

If you require moving Plumlee as part of the deal you eliminate the number of teams willing to trade you an asset. Nobody wants him at $12 million for one season except a team looking for cap relief at the end of the year. Only a few teams would want or need Plumlee. He would be a burden to anyone not wanting cap relief. A waive clears a few million off the books if he resigns with another team. Basically...waive 12 mil plumlee...signs with chicago for 2.5 mil.....Hawks save a portion of the 2.5 mil off the cap. Get a better player in trade (because Houston wouldn't want the salary back and wouldn't do it without it) and just waive.

If I'm the Hawks I'd want them to take Plumlee. Let them waive him if they want. They'd still get cap relief this year and next.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,933

Post#23 » by jayu70 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:12 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:16 am

I take back what I said about being willing to trade for him.
I believe we will attempt to move the lottery pick(s) for a true star talent or we stay the course.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks