Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Re: Hawks trade Prince to the Nets 

Post#121 » by steady » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:02 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Also cute how you've been on a 'get rid o' Taurean' campaign for like 2 years. Now you wanna brang him back.

My issue was that a) he was so much older than Trae and any other teens drafted that he couldn't realistically be a part of our core...specifically because he had a lower ceiling and b) it didn't make sense to extend him a pay increase on a rookie contract extension.

But now that we've traded him, received multiple 1st round picks in the process, and acquired a better fitting core of young, more talented wings to play next to Trae and JC...

I'd be okay giving him the chance to be a role player on a short contract coming off the bench.

Taurean Prince needed to be traded for value so that we wouldn't a) lose him for nothing or b) be forced to overpay to keep him. Those are no longer concerns for us.

Yeah but it's kinda pointless to bring him back now. May as well just try another dude.

I get JLs point

It is all about the price - TP is fine as a role player (can shoot ok, can sometimes provide good d). But not as core piece because his skill set was not either good enough or
enough of fit with Hawks style and other key pieces.

Trading him was a great move
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#122 » by kg01 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:32 pm

steady wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
My issue was that a) he was so much older than Trae and any other teens drafted that he couldn't realistically be a part of our core...specifically because he had a lower ceiling and b) it didn't make sense to extend him a pay increase on a rookie contract extension.

But now that we've traded him, received multiple 1st round picks in the process, and acquired a better fitting core of young, more talented wings to play next to Trae and JC...

I'd be okay giving him the chance to be a role player on a short contract coming off the bench.

Taurean Prince needed to be traded for value so that we wouldn't a) lose him for nothing or b) be forced to overpay to keep him. Those are no longer concerns for us.

Yeah but it's kinda pointless to bring him back now. May as well just try another dude.

I get JLs point

It is all about the price - TP is fine as a role player (can shoot ok, can sometimes provide good d). But not as core piece because his skill set was not either good enough or
enough of fit with Hawks style and other key pieces.

Trading him was a great move

Just so we're on the same page, I think we agree trading him was the absolute right move.

What I'm disputing is the notion of bringing him back, which is what JL's saying.

As you accurately stated, Prince isn't a good fit as a core piece. I think, if he came back, we'd see the same misguided play that made him expendable in the first place.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#123 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:29 pm

Predictions for Former NBA Lottery Picks on New Teams

Taurean Prince | Brooklyn Nets

Drafted: No. 12 in 2016

Prediction: Becomes an important role player

Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving signing with the Brooklyn Nets overshadowed the team's earlier acquisition of Taurean Prince.

He has his flaws, mostly on defense, but his role may be bigger than expected while Durant recovers from an Achilles rupture and Wilson Chandler is suspended for 25 games after violating the league's anti-drug program.

Brooklyn will be heavily guard-oriented on offense. Prince, who has shot over 38 percent from three and averaged at least two made triples in consecutive seasons, could give Brooklyn a useful frontcourt weapon.

Consistently delivering at both ends will be his challenge, particularly if he's given more responsibility early in the season. Regardless, Prince will wind up being viewed as an important rotation piece who the team needs to play well.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#124 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Read on Twitter

I said I would be ok with a Justise Winslow type deal. This is close plus one year shorter.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#125 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:25 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I said I would be ok with a Justise Winslow type deal. This is close plus one year shorter.

I am incredibly happy for Taurean. :clap:

He might actually win himself a title over the next 3 years in Brooklyn.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,492

Post#126 » by dms269 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Very happy that we weren't the one who ended up paying almost $15 million a year for him.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#127 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:23 am

Nice game 15/11 from Taurean. I like the fact that he always gets after it on the glass. Hoping he has a good solid season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#128 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 5, 2019 2:23 pm

Brooklyn seems pleased with their end of the Taurean for picks deal.

The ‘salary dump’ that looks better and better with each passing game

Taurean Prince expressed no hard feelings before or after Wednesday’s game with the Hawks. He said he loves the city: Atlanta. Still, Prince played one of his best games as a Net: 23 points, six rebounds, four assists, shooting 5-of-7 from three. He was motivated.

“I was 100 percent motivated, especially being the team that traded me away,” said Prince post-game. “That was part of it. It’s sweet to be back. I love the city of Atlanta.”

When Prince was traded to the Nets back in early June, it seemed at first glance to be a salary dump. The Nets needed to create enough salary cap to entice Kyrie Irving and Kevn Durant to Brooklyn and the deal saved the Nets $15 million. The Hawks also got two first round picks in return.

The salary dump aspect of the trade got all the headlines back then. Still, Kenny Atkinson said Wednesday that the 25-year-old indeed had been a target of the Nets. He was still with the Hawks leading up to the 2016 Draft and knew more than enough about his game.

Prince says he’s a better player than he was with Atlanta. He described the how and why to reporters post-game

“Patience, just taking what the defense gives me, not really calling for the ball as much, learning how to play off other people, other talents. And raising my level on the defensive end as well, Prince explained. “There’s just a lot more trust given to me, a lot more situations I’m put in to be great. Credit to the Brooklyn Nets for allowing me to be myself.”
Brooklyn SB Nation
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#129 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks