ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3 

Post#1121 » by kg01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:56 am

Maybe we should visit other team's boards to tell them who they should like as players.
king01 :king:
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#1122 » by dms269 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:50 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
dms269 wrote:Usually if a guy is a sweetener, he needs to be more than a 3rd/4th string player. Smart has had issue with Young in the past. Not saying they can't overcome their differences, but he has tried to pick a fight with Bembry and the refs in one game, and did the step over Trae on another. That in combination with his contract situation makes it a no go.

So Langford is already labeled as a fourth string player before playing even a full season of ball yet Reddish has high trade value and is untouchable to most? They’ve both had injury issues and have put up equally as bad numbers when on the court. Labeling opposite ends of the spectrum doesn’t make sense…..
Please tell me who you see Langford getting minutes over in that proposed trade.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#1123 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
dms269 wrote:Usually if a guy is a sweetener, he needs to be more than a 3rd/4th string player. Smart has had issue with Young in the past. Not saying they can't overcome their differences, but he has tried to pick a fight with Bembry and the refs in one game, and did the step over Trae on another. That in combination with his contract situation makes it a no go.

So Langford is already labeled as a fourth string player before playing even a full season of ball yet Reddish has high trade value and is untouchable to most? They’ve both had injury issues and have put up equally as bad numbers when on the court. Labeling opposite ends of the spectrum doesn’t make sense…..

If he's traded to the Hawks he will be.
PG: Trae, Smart,
SG: Bogi, Huerter, Reddish....so yes he's the 3rd/4th guard behind all these guys
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#1124 » by dms269 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:53 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

If he's traded to the Hawks he will be.
PG: Trae, Smart,
SG: Bogi, Huerter, Reddish....so yes he's the 3rd/4th guard behind all these guys

I assumed you would see Smart get minutes alongside Trae as well.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#1125 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:15 pm

With Atlanta having useful, established vets in important roles next season, I’d pursue these draft picks by dangling any of Collins, Huerter, Gallinari in trade. Maybe see if we can grab Draymond and James Wiseman from them, also.

Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager

Post#1126 » by kg01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:With Atlanta having useful, established vets in important roles next season, I’d pursue these draft picks by dangling any of Collins, Huerter, Gallinari in trade. Maybe see if we can grab Draymond and James Wiseman from them, also.

Read on Twitter

We're no longer playing tank games. Team's about to get expensive and rightfully so. Time for us to accept and understand that and move on from chasing the empty boxes.
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#1127 » by saloonyk8 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:25 pm

I mean if they want to max out Collins and give us Wiseman, 7, 14 I'll take it lol
Commit to the process
kg01
General Manager

Post#1128 » by kg01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Why, after making it to the ECF, are yall so enamored with starting the heyul over with picks?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1129 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:49 pm

kg01 wrote:Why, after making it to the ECF, are yall so enamored with starting the heyul over with picks?

:nod: ....and I think there is this perception Hawks will have $25+ million in CAPSPACE that we're not paying Collins to use.
kg01
General Manager

Post#1130 » by kg01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:57 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:Why, after making it to the ECF, are yall so enamored with starting the heyul over with picks?

:nod: ....and I think there is this perception Hawks will have $25+ million in CAPSPACE that we're not paying Collins to use.

Exactly. People aren't thinking this through.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1131 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:06 pm

It's not about starting over, it's about maintaining assets and salary flexibility to add to this team for years to come.

I don't we fans realize how close we came to facing MIL in Round 1 and likely losing in the first round. We drew an easy 1st round opponent, barely skated by a poorly constructed PHI team and got manhandled by a banged up Bucks team.

It was a magical run, but it's over.

We start next season 0-0. And if we get stuck playing against MIL or Brooklyn in the 1st or 2nd round, we'll likely struggle to get past them. Leaving us a year from now with a capped out roster and limited ways to adjust/improve.
kg01
General Manager

Post#1132 » by kg01 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Thats such a defeatist mindset. "Uh, we woulda coulda shoulda been a play-in team so let's keep rebuilding until the next lebron comes around."

Luckily the team doesn't seem resigned to accepting a place as an also-ran team, just biding their time until ... what exactly y'all want to wait for, I do not know.

Do people not realize having a high payroll does not disqualify the team from making moves? Do people not see supposed "capped-out" teams still able to deal to improve/change their teams every offseason? Do people not see "terrible" contracts get traded all the time?

What the heyul are yall scared of?

This is the cost of doing business among winning teams in the NBA. I get folks are more comfortable operating as a team with an excuse to lose in the name of "flexibility", but I'm ready to move on from that.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1133 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:53 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:I mean if they want to max out Collins and give us Wiseman, 7, 14 I'll take it lol

How exactly does this play out? You have several issues:
1. You can't use 2021 picks in a SnT since JC is a RFA and tge draft is prior to FAcy, you'd have to get future picks or take the player GSW selects at #7 and #14. Future picks from GSW will be late picks.
2. Wiseman $9 mil, #7 pick $5.5 mil, #14 pick $3.5 mil - that's $18 million - Hawks will have no capspace to sign anyone in FAcy? Hawks will have to take back Wiggins since GSW won't be able to take Collins salary without sending equal. How do yiu see two rookies helping the team improve upon last season?

This only works if you can parlay those picks into an immediate upgrade to help on the court to WIN - similar to what GSW is trying to do.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1134 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:50 am

kg01 wrote:Thats such a defeatist mindset. "Uh, we woulda coulda shoulda been a play-in team so let's keep rebuilding until the next lebron comes around."

Luckily the team doesn't seem resigned to accepting a place as an also-ran team, just biding their time until ... what exactly y'all want to wait for, I do not know.

Do people not realize having a high payroll does not disqualify the team from making moves? Do people not see supposed "capped-out" teams still able to deal to improve/change their teams every offseason? Do people not see "terrible" contracts get traded all the time?

What the heyul are yall scared of?

This is the cost of doing business among winning teams in the NBA. I get folks are more comfortable operating as a team with an excuse to lose in the name of "flexibility", but I'm ready to move on from that.

I'm sorry, but overpaying mediocre players is not what good organizations do. It doesn't get us closer to a title. It locks us into a core that isn't good enough.

Our secondary players couldn't win a game against a Giannis-less Bucks team...because they weren't good enough.

I'm all for paying top money to top players. But mediocre/secondary players aren't worth overpaying for.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#1135 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:50 am

Yeah and good organizations don’t tank for 3 years, build a great roster that fits together, make it all the way to the ECF with an incredibly young roster that was injured and then blow it up this early. The hawks aren’t going 29-12 under Nate (with a bunch of injuries) and making the ECF with mediocre players.

Let’s not forget Trae got hurt game 3 of the ECF tied 1-1 (when hawks were up 5), missed the next two games. Clearly wasn’t the same game 6. Pretty sure that’s a big deal. Oh yeah, no Deandre Hunter. Cam Reddish was on a minute restriction and didn’t play in 2 of the games. Bogi was injured (and struggling badly at the beginning of the series) …& let’s not act like the Bucks don’t have max players in Holiday/Middleton in their prime. And former all star Brook Lopez is better without Giannis when used correctly went off obviously in game 5. Their team is 1 game away from a championship starting Giannis and almost 4 players 30+ years old (Middleton is about to turn 30). They are extremely good team in their prime even without Giannis.

And for the 76ers…

Seth Curry in the regular season
12.5 ppg on 61 TS%

Seth Curry vs Hawks in the Playoffs
21.0 ppg on 79 TS%(!)…he shot 59.6% from 3 on 7.4 shots a game.

Yeah if he plays like he normally does the series isn’t as close as it was. And hawks were missing their two best perimeter defenders in Reddish and Hunter. Would of been a big help for sure.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1136 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 am

Ball4life32 wrote:Yeah and good organizations don’t tank for 3 years, build a great roster that fits together, make it all the way to the ECF with an incredibly young roster that was injured and then blow it up this early. The hawks aren’t going 29-12 under Nate (with a bunch of injuries) and making the ECF with mediocre players.

We're not talking about blowing up a roster.

We're talking aggressively looking to improve.

Kevin Huerter and John Collins are good, solid players. But it's clear they aren't the type of players who can help carry us to a championship.

They are role players.

It makes sense 0 sense to max out a guy after he avg 14 ppg in the playoffs.

There's a reason our owner is publicly preparing the fanbase that we can't keep everyone and he hopes for a fair deal. It's a part of this business we have to come to terms with.
kg01
General Manager

Post#1137 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:34 am

You had this stance before the playoffs which illustrates for me the actual results had no impact, whatsoever, on your thought process.

That, in and of itself, makes this a useless conversation.

I only wonder what in the world you expect to actually happen for any sports team? To keep recycling players until ... what, exactly? Arguably one guy on MIL's team is anything more than a "good solid player" at this point. Yet several are being paid what Collins could be getting on his next contract.

Based on your logic, MIL should've traded Middleton years ago. Yet in a couple days, he could be Finals MVP.

The "plan" can't be constant upheaval. Let me guess, you're monitoring new head coaches too, right? Musical chairs is the strategy, I guess.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#1138 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:46 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:Yeah and good organizations don’t tank for 3 years, build a great roster that fits together, make it all the way to the ECF with an incredibly young roster that was injured and then blow it up this early. The hawks aren’t going 29-12 under Nate (with a bunch of injuries) and making the ECF with mediocre players.

We're not talking about blowing up a roster.

We're talking aggressively looking to improve.

Kevin Huerter and John Collins are good, solid players. But it's clear they aren't the type of players who can help carry us to a championship.

They are role players.

It makes sense 0 sense to max out a guy after he avg 14 ppg in the playoffs.

There's a reason our owner is publicly preparing the fanbase that we can't keep everyone and he hopes for a fair deal. It's a part of this business we have to come to terms with.

John Collins had 17% usage in the playoffs. This is incredibly incredibly low. (compared to 22-23% in RS which isn’t even that high to begin with) He looked like a role player because hawks treated him like one. (Which is what he’s talking about when he said he took a step back and Schlenk obviously agreed) He still had a 63 TS% in the playoffs. This is elite efficiency which he has done all 4 years he’s been in the league.. (and & WF)…so I feel confident he can score more consistently if he had more usage.

He needs to be used more like Embiid (which I believe you mentioned before) because of his lack of ball handling which is his biggest weakness offensively. Obviously not as many shots as Embiid gets but more than what JC saw in the playoffs.

Huerter is inconsistent but everyone sees the flashes when he’s on like we saw in game 7 against Philly and a few other games. Struggled against the bucks in the last few games but he’s only 22 and I think he will end up figuring out how to be more consistent. I wouldn’t overpay but would love to get him extended at the right number whatever that may be ….but yeah like I said he’s due for an extension and is a potential RFA next year. Collins is a RFA obviously now. Because of this.. their value is lower so you won’t get = value back which wouldn’t interest me, just don’t think it improves the hawks chances at all.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1139 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 am

kg01 wrote:You had this stance before the playoffs which illustrates for me the actual results had no impact, whatsoever, on your thought process.

A lot has changed for me this post season.

Trae is an undeniable star and first option in the playoffs.
Nate has undeniably earned a legit shot at coaching this team. His history be damned.
Bogdan is a capable back court mate and a valuable 2nd option.
Capela is a warrior but isn’t big enough to hang with elite bigs in the playoffs.

And John isn’t a max player.

These are huge takeaways. Cam had flashes. Okongwu had flashes.

But this team isn’t good enough to beat a wounded Milwaukee team and is unlikely to even get past Brooklyn.

TL;DR — Trae’s great. But the rest of these bums need to be upgraded.
kg01
General Manager

Post#1140 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:27 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:You had this stance before the playoffs which illustrates for me the actual results had no impact, whatsoever, on your thought process.

A lot has changed for me this post season.

Trae is an undeniable star and first option in the playoffs.
Nate has undeniably earned a legit shot at coaching this team. His history be damned.
Bogdan is a capable back court mate and a valuable 2nd option.
Capela is a warrior but isn’t big enough to hang with elite bigs in the playoffs.

And John isn’t a max player.

These are huge takeaways. Cam had flashes. Okongwu had flashes.

But this team isn’t good enough to beat a wounded Milwaukee team and is unlikely to even get past Brooklyn.

TL;DR — Trae’s great. But the rest of these bums need to be upgraded.

Yikes. Good luck finding a team to root for, my man.

I'll bow out of this discussion(sic).

Return to Atlanta Hawks