Post#261 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#262 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 pm

King Ken wrote:Nothing changed for us, the guys we should be looking at for in-season trades is Steven Adams and Tristian Thompson depending on the price tag

I really would've liked to have had those two seconds back that you guys shipped to N.O.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,998

Post#263 » by HMFFL » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:11 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Good deal for Pacers!

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Good Lort!
I don't understand Boston giving him that amount of money unless he's a sure thing to breakout this season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Post#264 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:17 am

HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Good deal for Pacers!

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Good Lort!
I don't understand Boston giving him that amount of money unless he's a sure thing to breakout this season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Seems like an overpay for a guy who hasn't even been able to establish himself as a starter. He's a good player but no standout specific skillset.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#265 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I don't understand Boston giving him that amount of money unless he's a sure thing to breakout this season.

Seems like an overpay for a guy who hasn't even been able to establish himself as a starter. He's a good player but no standout specific skillset.

It will definitely be difficult for J Brown to live up to a contract that size. This also cements that Tatum will be looking for a max deal as soon as he becomes eligible next summer.

As will John Collins...

:blank:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#266 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#267 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Thunder: Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala's reunion has been sweet

The question puzzled Thunder guard Dennis Schroder.

“Who was the best teammate you ever had?” he remembers Thunder general manager Sam Presti asking him this summer.

Schroder named a few for their veteran leadership in Atlanta: Kyle Korver, Al Horford, Lou Williams.

“But who I was really hanging out with was Musky (Mike Muscala),” Schroder told The Oklahoman after practice Monday. “So, I told him Musky is helping the team, just being together, good locker room guy, can shoot it, and is a great guy off the court. And he (Presti) was like, ‘Oh, OK. Sounds good.’”

“That was a good look,” said Muscala, who was sitting next to Schroder on a bench beside the Thunder practice courts.

That story ends, of course, with Presti pursuing Muscala in free agency.

Spoiler:
“Knowing that Dennis was here played a big role for me, to be honest,” Muscala said. “It's hard in the NBA. You get people moving around a lot. So, to spend that many years with somebody is pretty rare.”

The reunion has been sweet. Schroder invited several teammates to his wedding in Germany this summer, without wholeheartedly expecting them to show up. Muscala did. He met Schroder’s son, Dennis Jr., who was born in February. After practice all preseason, when Thunder players split up to shoot on different hoops and the session is open to the media, Schroder and Muscala are almost guaranteed to be standing next to one another.

“You can't even describe it,” Schroder said. “It's just great to have him here and get to work every day and be excited about it.”

Muscala recently stumbled across a picture of Schroder and himself at their Hawks introductory press conference in June 2013. The golden patch is missing from Schroder’s hair. Muscala’s curls are cropped short. Their young faces are softer, less angular.

The Hawks acquired both players on draft day in 2013. The pair then represented Atlanta at Summer League.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#268 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I don't understand Boston giving him that amount of money unless he's a sure thing to breakout this season.

It will definitely be difficult for J Brown to live up to a contract that size. This also cements that Tatum will be looking for a max deal as soon as he becomes eligible next summer.

As will John Collins...

I would be hesitant to give JC a max contract unless there is significant improvement to his defense, or his offense just improves leaps and bounds from last season and he remains a double double machine, improved 3pt shooting, improved ball handling and assists, I'd luve with at least passable defense.
If not he'll be looking at a deal somewhere between Siakam and Sabonis'. Not a max deal.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#269 » by kg01 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

As will John Collins...

I mean, championship teams aren't cheap. We can't worry about having to pay our guys. That's the cost of doing bidness.

On J. Brown, I'd say this also signals that Hayward will be traded. Well, I'll say "should be" traded. Gotta remember Dan E. strAinge be hesitating like a 3 year-old jumpin into the pool for the first time. :lol:
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#270 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#271 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Read on Twitter
what's even more interesting is......He said this back in Spring of this year and it was reported by the outlet he said it to before the playoffs, before he won MVP....now the local paper is reporting this as if he said this TODAY!
I hate bad 'journalism'.
kg01
General Manager

Post#272 » by kg01 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Read on Twitter
what's even more interesting is......He said this back in Spring of this year and it was reported by the outlet he said it to before the playoffs, before he won MVP....now the local paper is reporting this as if he said this TODAY!
I hate bad 'journalism'.

EGGSACTLY!

What I hate even more is the context. He was just asked a question and answered it reasonably and honestly. And he's getting killed for it. Should've just lied.

Or, better yet, should've chosen not to give this researcher time. Then folks'll say he's rude for refusing. Can't win.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#273 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 pm

^1. You guys make good points.

2. The fact still remains that Giannis is not 100% committed to that franchise; and stated as much when his team was 1st or 2nd place in the East.

That's kind of a big deal.

Giannis Antetokounmpo is almost a lock to sign a super-max contract extension with the Milwaukee Bucks next summer.

Almost.

He keeps leaving the door just a little open. He did that at the end of last season. He did it again over the summer speaking with a Harvard University professor who was researching the Bucks turnaround and the challenges of a small market team in the NBA.
NBC Sports
kg01
General Manager

Post#274 » by kg01 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^1. You guys make good points.

2. The fact still remains that Giannis is not 100% committed to that franchise; and stated as much when his team was 1st or 2nd place in the East.

That's kind of a big deal.

This is a non-story imho. "If we're under-performing I'll look around" - That's basically what any player should say and would say, if they're being honest.

And, what is "under-performing" in his eyes? No one knows. This smells like a comment, he figured wouldn't be that big of a deal, that's catching fire. He probably was told this wouldn't get out and was naive enough to believe that.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#275 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 pm

kg01 wrote:This is a non-story imho. "If we're under-performing I'll look around" - That's basically what any player should say and would say, if they're being honest.

And, what is "under-performing" in his eyes? No one knows. This smells like a comment, he figured wouldn't be that big of a deal, that's catching fire. He probably was told this wouldn't get out and was naive enough to believe that.

And that's the question. Will making the Finals suffice? What if they lose in 6 games? Or get swept?

NOTE: He's made these comments multiple times. It's clearly a mandate to ownership.

I believe he is putting the onus on management to go all in to remain competitive...and I think it's a poor decision on his part.

Incredibly short-sighted.

Kid is at the start of his prime in his age 25 season. The team should be competitive, undoubtedly. But they should also be maintaining flexibility and drafting smartly to keep a strong team around him for the next half decade. Not maxing out guys like Khris Middleton or trading away 1st round picks for scrubs and cap relief.

Milwaukee is a bad franchise in a second class city with awful weather each winter.

Notice that John Collins is stating he wants to be here forever, while Giannis is already repeatedly stating that re-signing is contingent on team performance.

(NOTE: I do believe Giannis signs the super-max with them next summer, but I also believe he requests a trade from the team within a year or two afterwards.)
jayu70
RealGM

Post#276 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:This is a non-story imho. "If we're under-performing I'll look around" - That's basically what any player should say and would say, if they're being honest.

And that's the question. Will making the Finals suffice? What if they lose in 6 games? Or get swept?

NOTE: He's made these comments multiple times. It's clearly a mandate to ownership.

I believe he is putting the onus on management to go all in to remain competitive...and I think it's a poor decision on his part.

Kid is at the start of his prime in his age 25 season. The team should be competitive, undoubtedly. But they should also be maintaining flexibility and drafting smartly to keep a strong team around him for the next half decade. Not maxing out guys like Khris Middleton or trading away 1st round picks for scrubs and cap relief.

Milwaukee is a bad franchise in a second class city with awful weather each winter.

Notice that John Collins is stating he wants to be here forever, while Giannis is already repeatedly stating that re-signing is contingent on team performance.

(NOTE: I do believe Giannis signs the super-max with them next summer, but I also believe he requests a trade from the team within a year or two afterwards.)

Giannis was talking like JC is now coming off his rookie contract though. 'I got loyalty inside my DNA' he says back in 2017.
I don't take issue with his stance at all.
My issue is the shoddy reporting it today as if he said it 3 hours ago.
kg01
General Manager

Post#277 » by kg01 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:13 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Giannis was talking like JC is now coming off his rookie contract though. 'I got loyalty inside my DNA' he says back in 2017.
I don't take issue with his stance at all.
My issue is the shoddy reporting it today as if he said it 3 hours ago.

Yeah. @jamallo, we gotta remember when he said this for the interview. IIUC, he said this during last season. Prior to playoffs and prior to winning MVP and prior to his own play being the primary reason they didn't get to the Finals.

A lot has happened since this interview. The professor just decided to leak the quote now.

Another thing to mention, this researcher is famous for having celebrities in her classes and loves the attention that comes from that. Is also apparently puffing her chest out about getting this "news" from Giannis that NBA insiders couldn't.

The reality is this is like the 3rd time he's said comments like this since the timeframe this interview took place.

Long story long, this is a non-story being put out by someone seeking attention.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#278 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Giannis Antetokounmpo is almost a lock to sign a super-max contract extension with the Milwaukee Bucks next summer.

Almost.

He keeps leaving the door just a little open. He did that at the end of last season. He did it again over the summer speaking with a Harvard University professor who was researching the Bucks turnaround and the challenges of a small market team in the NBA.
NBC Sports
kg01
General Manager

Post#279 » by kg01 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

The interview happened during last season, not this summer.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#280 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:41 pm

kg01 wrote:The interview happened during last season, not this summer.

I stand corrected:

Giannis Antetokounmpo told a Harvard University professor that if the Milwaukee Bucks underperform this season, it would make his decision on whether to stick with the team "a lot more difficult."

The unusually pointed language from the team's superstar came in a spring 2019 interview with Anita Elberse, a Harvard Business School professor who was researching a case study on the Bucks' turnaround and the challenges a small-market NBA team faces in retaining a superstar-level player.
JS Online

I still see it as a potential crack in the veneer. Especially if Bucks lose 4 straight in the post-season to be eliminated again next year. (The Budenholzer Special)

Return to Atlanta Hawks