ImageImage

Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2

Moderators: ATL Boy, dms269, HMFFL

User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 39,137
And1: 1,747
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#161 » by HMFFL » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

marco102 wrote:Everybody out here like Anthony Davis will for sure sign with the Lakers in 2020. From this quote, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Nichols: You've come here and said already, "I'm here to win titles." Rob Pelinka told the media, "Anything less than a championship is not a success." Are you guys worried you're setting the bar a little bit too high here?

AD: No. We have a standard, and that is it, you know. Especially for me as a player. If I don't win the championship, then that season was not a success.

Nichols: At your introductory press conference, they introduced you as someone who they hope will be a "pillar of the Lakers for a decade to come."

AD: Yeah.

Nichols: You're only signed through this season. Do you think you will be a pillar of the Lakers for years and years to come?

AD: Honestly, Rachel, I'm just focused on this season. I don't know what's going to happen. I have one year here, so I'm going make the best of this year. And when that time comes around in the summer or, you know, whenever the season's over -- hopefully, around, you know, mid-June, after we just had a parade, and I need a couple days to think -- then we can talk about that. But until then, I'm trying to do whatever I can to help this team win this year.
He must see how playing with Lebron goes first. Everyone saw how last year went during Lebrons first season.
It should be Anthony Davis' team but everyone knows that won't be the case.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#162 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Love it!!

Read on Twitter
jayu70
General Manager
Posts: 9,156
And1: 6,623
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#163 » by jayu70 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 39,137
And1: 1,747
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#164 » by HMFFL » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
I only wish him the best.


Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#165 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
ATL Boy
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 10,911
And1: 3,935
Joined: May 15, 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
       

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#166 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I disagree with the coaches. This is still Lebron's kingdom for the time being.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 39,137
And1: 1,747
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#167 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
Why would Ricky Rubio to Phoenix be considered a bad move?

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 39,137
And1: 1,747
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#168 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:36 am

Clips are the hot topic right now.
The Lakers must stay healthy and working with Lebron will be a test for all. A lot depends on the health of Anthony Davis.
I don't think LA win it all.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#169 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:24 pm

Read on Twitter



Hopefully this makes it more likely we get J Collins on a rookie contract extension below a max level value.
The definition of Hypocrisy:

MaceCase wrote:Unlike you, I don't resort to personal attacks but its become rather evident as to why you are divorced.


MaceCase wrote:...even God can make mistakes, your entire existence as a case in point.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#170 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:55 am

As far as I'm concerned, Hawks vs Mavericks should become a Christmas tradition.

Read on Twitter
EazyRoc
Senior
Posts: 516
And1: 373
Joined: Dec 15, 2018

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#171 » by EazyRoc » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:07 pm

This new sports agents need a bachelors degree rule has got to be the biggest bunch of BS I’ve ever seen. All of these years...and as soon as a guy like Rich Paul rises to prominence, they want to start adding barriers to keep others like him out..if you can read between the lines. Really shady move by an already shady organization..
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#172 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:41 am

EazyRoc wrote:This new sports agents need a bachelors degree rule has got to be the biggest bunch of BS I’ve ever seen.


Yeah....

Read on Twitter
The definition of Hypocrisy:

MaceCase wrote:Unlike you, I don't resort to personal attacks but its become rather evident as to why you are divorced.


MaceCase wrote:...even God can make mistakes, your entire existence as a case in point.
jayu70
General Manager
Posts: 9,156
And1: 6,623
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#173 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:07 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:This new sports agents need a bachelors degree rule has got to be the biggest bunch of BS I’ve ever seen.


Yeah....

Read on Twitter

I can't wait for the NBA to have a true minor league system where players that aren't interested in college or the experience have other avenues to explore the pathto the NBA.
Yes some will fail, some will excel - it's called - Life.
kg01
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,229
And1: 6,526
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
 

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#174 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:20 pm

EazyRoc wrote:This new sports agents need a bachelors degree rule has got to be the biggest bunch of BS I’ve ever seen. All of these years...and as soon as a guy like Rich Paul rises to prominence, they want to start adding barriers to keep others like him out..if you can read between the lines. Really shady move by an already shady organization..


I completely agree it's a BS rule. However, I honestly don't think they had Paul in mind when they added that ridiculous clause. I think it was just arrogant a** "educators" being arrogant a**es, as usual. Of course they'd add a degree requirement ... and obtw the only way you can get it is by paying the NCAA hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The reality is Paul's organization is unaffected by this. What it does is precludes the next R. Paul from ever coming to be. That's the part I have issue with.

All this rule does is ensures the athletes have to go with someone they don't know and may not trust. Some of the shadiest agents in history have all been heavily-degreed individuals. Congrats on forcing guys into their hands, NCAA.

I mean, I get the requirement of the person being certified by the NBA or w/e. But tacking on the degree requirement is offensive and small-minded.
king01 :king:
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#175 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:28 pm

^I'm so conflicted on the whole thing myself.

Plenty of jobs have college degree requirements. And I do have concerns of advisors, counselors with little to no education/experience taking advantage of 18/19 year olds and exploiting them. I've seen so many millionaire athletes end up broke at the end of their careers because of bad advice and corrupt handlers.

But the more i listen, the more i can see why the criticism has been so loud.


Specific thoughts: I agree with KG this rule was not made specifically to hamper Rich Paul.

How does Rich Paul not yet have a degree in something by now? Anything...Not even an associates in general business, Rich? Seriously? Not a certification in negotiation skills? Not even a Kim Kardashian Law degree?
kg01
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,229
And1: 6,526
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
 

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#176 » by kg01 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^I'm so conflicted on the whole thing myself.

Plenty of jobs have college degree requirements. And I do have concerns of advisors, counselors with little to no education/experience taking advantage of 18/19 year olds and exploiting them. I've seen so many millionaire athletes end up broke at the end iof their careers because of bad advice and corrupt handlers.

But the more i listen, the more i can see why the criticism has been so loud.


Specific thoughts: I agree with KG this rule was not made specifically to hamper Rich Paul.

How does Rich Paul not yet have a degree in something by now? Anything...Not even an associates in general business, Rich? Seriously? Not a certification in negotiation skills? Not even a Kim Kardashian Law degree?


He has the LeBron degree. Anybody messes with him have to deal with LeBron maybe not sitting at their lunch table for a week.

So far, it's been enough for Paul to not need a degree.

Also though, IIUC he has an honorary degree from CLE ST.
king01 :king:
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#177 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 pm

kg01 wrote:He has the LeBron degree. Anybody messes with him have to deal with LeBron maybe not sitting at their lunch table for a week.

So far, it's been enough for Paul to not need a degree.

Also though, IIUC he has an honorary degree from CLE ST
.



:dontknow:


I don't really know the concrete value of an honorary degree.

But didn't Rich Paul spend years doing an apprenticeship for another more established sports agent?

That should count for something, I guess.
kg01
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,229
And1: 6,526
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
 

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#178 » by kg01 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:He has the LeBron degree. Anybody messes with him have to deal with LeBron maybe not sitting at their lunch table for a week.

So far, it's been enough for Paul to not need a degree.

Also though, IIUC he has an honorary degree from CLE ST
.



:dontknow:


I don't really know the concrete value of an honorary degree.

But didn't Rich Paul spend years doing an apprenticeship for another more established sports agent?

That should count for something, I guess.


I don't know if he apprenticed or not. IIRC, Maverick Carter worked at Nike for a time before taking the job he has now. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul did something similar.
king01 :king:
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,528
And1: 7,325
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#179 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:02 pm

kg01 wrote:I don't know if he apprenticed or not. IIRC, Maverick Carter worked at Nike for a time before taking the job he has now. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul did something similar.



Image


Wait...are Rich Paul and Maverick Carter not the same person?
jayu70
General Manager
Posts: 9,156
And1: 6,623
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Around the League News and Rumors (Non-Hawks) Part 2 

Post#180 » by jayu70 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:^I'm so conflicted on the whole thing myself.

Plenty of jobs have college degree requirements. And I do have concerns of advisors, counselors with little to no education/experience taking advantage of 18/19 year olds and exploiting them. I've seen so many millionaire athletes end up broke at the end iof their careers because of bad advice and corrupt handlers.

But the more i listen, the more i can see why the criticism has been so loud.


Specific thoughts: I agree with KG this rule was not made specifically to hamper Rich Paul.

How does Rich Paul not yet have a degree in something by now? Anything...Not even an associates in general business, Rich? Seriously? Not a certification in negotiation skills? Not even a Kim Kardashian Law degree?


He has the LeBron degree. Anybody messes with him have to deal with LeBron maybe not sitting at their lunch table for a week.

So far, it's been enough for Paul to not need a degree.

Also though, IIUC he has an honorary degree from CLE ST.

Aaand.....
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks