ImageImage

Hawks zeroing in on Jarrett Culver in 2019 Draft?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Is Jarrett Culver worth moving into the top 5 to select?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:10 pm

Absolutely
23%
Not really
50%
I'm not buying this rumor at all
27%

Total votes: 26

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Hawks zeroing in on Jarrett Culver in 2019 Draft? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 pm

2019 NBA Draft Rumors: Hawks Eyeing Trade Up from No. 8 for Jarrett Culver

The Atlanta Hawks aim to utilize their 2019 NBA draft capital to move up and select Texas Tech star Jarrett Culver, according to Sports Illustrated's Jeremy Woo.

Woo noted that the Hawks may need to jump the Phoenix Suns, who will pick sixth, if they want Culver. Per Woo, the Suns are "extremely high" on Culver.

Culver led the Red Raiders to their first national championship berth in 2018-19. He averaged 18.5 points on 46.1 percent shooting while adding 6.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.5 steals per game.

In the 2019 NCAA tournament, he put up 18.5 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals.

As of June 5, according to SNY TV's Ian Begley, Culver had worked out for the New York Knicks (No. 3 pick), Los Angeles Lakers (No. 4), Cleveland Cavaliers (No. 5), Phoenix and the Chicago Bulls (No. 7).

Bleacher Report

Thoughts?

Predictions?

Concerns?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Hawks zeroing in on Jarrett Culver in 2019 Draft? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Peachtree Hoops echoes the same report:

NBA Draft: Atlanta Hawks reportedly centering on Jarrett Culver as ‘primary target’ in trade scenario

After the team executed a high-profile trade in early June, rumors swirled around the Atlanta Hawks with regard to additional moves within the first round of the 2019 NBA Draft. One such theory centered on the team packaging assets for a potential move up the board and, on Tuesday, Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated provided clarity on the player the Hawks could be aiming for in that scenario.

According to the reporting, the player in question is Texas Tech wing Jarrett Culver.

Code: Select all

According to league sources, Atlanta has been angling to move up in the draft by packaging their various picks, and continue to explore possibilities there. Their primary target would seem to be Jarrett Culver, and they would likely have to get ahead of Phoenix to get him. After dealing with the Nets to add Allen Crabbe’s salary and acquire two first-round picks, Atlanta owns a league-high six selections in this draft, and is exploring all its options.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Woo is the second national NBA writer to definitively link the Hawks to Culver.

Pre draft lottery:

Sean Deveney wrote:If the Hawks land at No. 2, they won't draft Morant. League sources told SN last week that, heading into the process, the Hawks favor Texas Tech wing Jarrett Culver, believing that his blend of athleticism and defensive prowess will make for a smooth transition to the league and that he can develop enough of a 3-point shot to be effective in the NBA.

...if Atlanta winds up with the second pick, their choice likely would come down to Culver or a trade.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#4 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Culver fits what Trav wants with: secondary ball handler to Trae, good overall defender, good rebounder and passer. His shot is still a work in progress but his shooting form from fr. to soph. was noticeably changing for the better.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#5 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm arguing with myself, trying to figure out some way it's more likely inaccurate.

But I'm failing.

Putting those two factoids together, indeed, does point to what Woo is asserting.

I'm not happy about that, but whatcha gonna do? Schlenk has earned trust that he knows better than I do.

But if this goes down, this to me almost certainly will end up being the pinnacle decision of Schlenk's career. He's effectively putting Culver's value into the stratosphere, and we're going to be able to weigh that against 3 other players (assuming all 3 1sts would be involved), at least two of whom stand a really good chance imo of at least equaling Culver's value, and decent chance at exceeding it.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
2019 NBA Draft Rumors: Hawks Eyeing Trade Up from No. 8 for Jarrett Culver

The Atlanta Hawks aim to utilize their 2019 NBA draft capital to move up and select Texas Tech star Jarrett Culver, according to Sports Illustrated's Jeremy Woo.

Woo noted that the Hawks may need to jump the Phoenix Suns, who will pick sixth, if they want Culver. Per Woo, the Suns are "extremely high" on Culver.

Culver led the Red Raiders to their first national championship berth in 2018-19. He averaged 18.5 points on 46.1 percent shooting while adding 6.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.5 steals per game.

In the 2019 NCAA tournament, he put up 18.5 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals.

As of June 5, according to SNY TV's Ian Begley, Culver had worked out for the New York Knicks (No. 3 pick), Los Angeles Lakers (No. 4), Cleveland Cavaliers (No. 5), Phoenix and the Chicago Bulls (No. 7).

Bleacher Report

Thoughts?

Predictions?

Concerns?

What's the price to move up? I didn't see that in article.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

I wouldn't give 8 and 10 for him, but I really like the idea of bringing in Culver for 8 and another one of our picks that's not our own next year. We need to start bringing in these defensive stopper type players to play in our already explosive lineup.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#8 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Here's a thought. Deveney's a known quantity over the years, but is there history that says Woo doesn't make stuff up? I just don't know much about him.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#9 » by kg01 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Culver to the Hawks?

king01 :king:
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#10 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 pm

What I can dig up on Woo is not that impressive.

He's a fairly recent grad from Northwestern.

I suppose Sports Illustrated doesn't hire the long-tenured and proven types anymore. Didn't they just get sold (again)?

And this final mock draft of his from last June doesn't exactly scream "This kid has insider intel."

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/19/nba-mock-draft-2018-rumors-deandre-ayton-marvin-bagley-trae-young-suns-kings-hawks-cavaliers-knicks

I've stepped back from the ledge.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#11 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Sorry Jack.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,939

Post#12 » by Ice Trae » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Reminds me of the "Zeroing in on Doncic" Smokescreens. Perhaps we trade for him then trade down for Cam who the FO also seems to be high on?
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#13 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

Except there were more credible reporters than Woo saying that, if I recall correctly.

Really have to be discriminating when it comes to whose words have earned the public trust.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#14 » by peoriabird » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Ice Trae wrote: Perhaps we trade for him then trade down for Cam who the FO also seems to be high on?

Wait What? Trade up and then trade down??
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#15 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Even if you have questions about Cam's year at Duke, you have to have questions about Culvers ability to actually be a 2nd ball handler, who can score against NBA defense. If Schlenk isn't turning on the NC game and watching Culver struggle to be effective against Deandre Hunter, whose considered to be an instant contributor on defense, then he must be hoping that drafting him at 5 will give him some kind of magical growth to be a first team NBA superstar.

I mean if we're taking Culver, then at least find a way to get Reddish as well, and play them next to each other. Culver's biggest advantage would be as a big guard. He wouldn't survive playing the 3 long term. That also gives us a lot of flexibility to play all sorts of different lineups.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#16 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Don't like the idea of it.
He is a SG.
He is a worse fit than Kevin.
He is too weak to spot at SF.
I rather keep 10 and 17. Rather Sekou or Little and a center.
I really don't think he is that good.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#17 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Just don't overreact, folks, that's all I'm saying... consider the source.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#18 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 am

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:Just don't overreact, folks, that's all I'm saying... consider the source.

i've consider that as well, and don't think we are that high on Culver, but just the thought of it being a possibility is mind boggling.

This might honestly just be a smokescreen created by the Cavs or Lakers to force Phoenix to overpay to grab Culver as they are supposedly the ones truly locked in on Culver. The mindset would seem to think either one of them would get similar value that we did in the Luka/Trae deal.

I would assume since Schlenk was the one who did it last year, that he would know he doesn't need to trade up to get someone he really likes. He's got potential for someone bigger and better honestly if he just sits on Cam.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:19 am

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#20 » by D21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:06 am

peoriabird wrote:
Ice Trae wrote: Perhaps we trade for him then trade down for Cam who the FO also seems to be high on?

Wait What? Trade up and then trade down??

You can trade up from 8th and/or 10th to 2nd, then trade down from 2nd to 5th for example (if what you add to 8th is worth more than what is enough to get the 5th)

Anyway, I don't want Schlenk to make anything he can to get Culver if it cost to much. There's no reason to trade to the 2nd without trading down later, the 5th is enough to get Culver or Reddish.
And if instead of trading from 8th to 2nd, better keep this 8th and trade from 10 to 5th

We get Culver or Reddish, then Sekou

Trae
Culver
Huerter
Sekou
Collins

or better fit :
Trae
Huerter
Reddish
Sekou
Collins