ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#101 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:17 pm

kg01 wrote:Obviously you want to spend prudently but, I mean, you gotta pay somebody at some point if you expect to have a winning team. These are good problems to have especially when we're used to overpaying guys to not win.

These are good problems to have, I'm just thinking a couple of off-seasons ahead.

FTR, you're gonna laugh at what I hope for/expect us to do:

Spoiler:
I think we package Collins, Huerter and some of those picks for an elite big man to battle against Giannis and Embiid.

Either Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert, or Ben Simmons.

:meditate:

Jamstrodamus has spoken!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#102 » by kg01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Obviously you want to spend prudently but, I mean, you gotta pay somebody at some point if you expect to have a winning team. These are good problems to have especially when we're used to overpaying guys to not win.

These are good problems to have, I'm just thinking a couple of off-seasons ahead.

FTR, you're gonna laugh at what I hope for/expect us to do:

Spoiler:
I think we package Collins, Huerter and some of those picks for an elite big man to battle against Giannis and Embiid.

Either Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert, or Ben Simmons.

:meditate:

Jamstrodamus has spoken!!!

Oh Ms. Cleoliver, you are something else.

The reason(s) why those players would even be available are the reasons I don't want any of those players. I'd rather root for Embiid to get tired of playing second fiddle to Simmons then try to acquire him.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#103 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:25 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:
*sigh* Here we go again.

I'd call that a good 3-man rotation for the 2/3, sometimes 4.

I agree that it's a good 3-man rotation.

But are the players willing to accept these roles long term?
Can we afford to pay huge rookie contract extensions to guys coming off the bench?

You have to take contract status into account for all these talented young players. Collins is up for a rookie contract extension next summer. Followed by Trae and Huerter in 2021. And Reddish, Hunter in 2022.

Collins will angle for a max contract. (I'm not sure he gets it.)
Trae will undoubtedly get a max contract extension offer.

After that...things get dicey.

NOTE: We're likely to have 2 more first round picks in summer 2020.

And we come full circle to why you're scouting point guards. You want to blow the team up before having to deal with *gasp* paying our players.

The cycle of tanking never ends for you does it, @jam?

I'm only half kidding. Obviously you want to spend prudently but, I mean, you gotta pay somebody at some point if you expect to have a winning team. These are good problems to have especially when we're used to overpaying guys to not win.

Maybe one of Huerter or Reddish slots in as the 'Manu' off the bench guy.
Maybe Hunter ends up being the 4 with JC at the 5.
Maybe one of Huerter/Reddish/Hunter becomes a SuperSub.
Maybe Reddish becomes the starting SF, with Hunter as the backup.
Maybe Huerter gets traded.
Maybe Cam doesn't 'break the NBA' per Supes.
Maybe Hunter gets traded if Reddish takes over as SF.

Lots of options and I'm looking forward to seeing it playout. :nod:
We won't know until these rookies play and we see how they fit.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#104 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:29 pm

kg01 wrote:Oh Ms. Cleoliver, you are something else.

Hey, a starting five of

PG: Trae Young
SG: Cam Reddish
SF: DeAndre Hunter
PF: Ben Simmons
(Defensive Center)

would easily be the most talented starting 5 this franchise has ever seen.
kg01
General Manager

Post#105 » by kg01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:36 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I agree that it's a good 3-man rotation.

But are the players willing to accept these roles long term?
Can we afford to pay huge rookie contract extensions to guys coming off the bench?

You have to take contract status into account for all these talented young players. Collins is up for a rookie contract extension next summer. Followed by Trae and Huerter in 2021. And Reddish, Hunter in 2022.

Collins will angle for a max contract. (I'm not sure he gets it.)
Trae will undoubtedly get a max contract extension offer.

After that...things get dicey.

NOTE: We're likely to have 2 more first round picks in summer 2020.

And we come full circle to why you're scouting point guards. You want to blow the team up before having to deal with *gasp* paying our players.

The cycle of tanking never ends for you does it, @jam?

I'm only half kidding. Obviously you want to spend prudently but, I mean, you gotta pay somebody at some point if you expect to have a winning team. These are good problems to have especially when we're used to overpaying guys to not win.

Maybe one of Huerter or Reddish slots in as the 'Manu' off the bench guy.
Maybe Hunter ends up being the 4 with JC at the 5.
Maybe one of Huerter/Reddish/Hunter becomes a SuperSub.
Maybe Reddish becomes the starting SF, with Hunter as the backup.
Maybe Huerter gets traded.
Maybe Cam doesn't 'break the NBA' per Supes.
Maybe Hunter gets traded if Reddish takes over as SF.

Lots of options and I'm looking forward to seeing it playout. :nod:
We won't know until these rookies play and we see how they fit.

Apparently Ms. Cleoliver knows.

And if SImmons comes available, it's because he's actually not as talented as you seem to think he is, Cleoliver.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#106 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:41 pm

kg01 wrote:And if SImmons comes available, it's because he's actually not as talented as you seem to think he is, Cleoliver.

...or because he doesn't fit well with Embiid.

Or because he pushes his way out of town a la Anthony Davis.
kg01
General Manager

Post#107 » by kg01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:And if SImmons comes available, it's because he's actually not as talented as you seem to think he is, Cleoliver.

...or because he doesn't fit well with Embiid.

Or because he pushes his way out of town a la Anthony Davis.

Or because he chooses not to work on his game? Or because he carries himself like he has Lebron's resume when, in reality, he's closer to a playoff choker than a champion but doesn't seem to realize it and if he pushes his way away from Embiid he'll regret it like Marbury pushing his way away from Garnett? Holy run-on sentence, batman.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#108 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:07 pm

kg01 wrote:Or because he chooses not to work on his game?

Admit it...you came back from that other place just because you miss me.

Spoiler:
Speaking of which, why is it so damn hard to get registered on that site?

I have no idea what jersey# Dominique wore...
kg01
General Manager

Post#109 » by kg01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

Even though I extended an invitation, somehow the idea of you showing your mugg there unnerves me. Why is that?

Maybe you've been off in the wilderness too long. Can you even fit into civilized society anymore?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#110 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 pm

kg01 wrote:Even though I extended an invitation, somehow the idea of you showing your mugg there unnerves me. Why is that?

Maybe you've been off in the wilderness too long. Can you even fit into civilized society anymore?

Are we really calling that place civilized society? With supes, peoria and Sturt roaming around unchecked?

I'm probably better off just hanging out here on my own...

Spoiler:
kg01
General Manager

Post#111 » by kg01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Even though I extended an invitation, somehow the idea of you showing your mugg there unnerves me. Why is that?

Are we really calling that place civilized society? With supes, peoria and Sturt roaming around unchecked?

I'm probably better off just hanging out here on my own...

Spoiler:

Oh, look at you. Disparaging an entire community of people. How very trumpian of you.

8-)

#bodyblows
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#112 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:06 pm

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#113 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:08 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Not a bad idea. But Trav has consistently turned down trade opportunities of expirings at the trade deadline as he prioritizes cap flexibility more than modest draft assets.

Especially at this point, when we are currently stacked with young players on rookie deals and still have 2 first round picks next summer.

I'd think maintaining that $70+ million in projected cap space is the priority.

I won't be surprised if Bembry gets moved at some point this season...especially if we don't extend him the QO.

Yeah, but with 20 FA looking grim and Hawks still not likely to be a top destination yet, it could be a move. Top picks are expensive, but still a rookie contract and if TS keeps drafting very well, he could build a deep, talented team through the draft. Already have Collins and Trae as solid starters with AS potential. Hunter / Cam / Heurter can / should develop into starters at least. Add say... Wiseman and that is the best young core in the league.

Still have a lot of cap flex. Len / Parker traded for picks and expirings.

I would rather do this than try to win a few more games to maybe challenge for #8 seed. Len and Parker should be nice trade assets on short deals. Perfect
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#115 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Everything to Know About the 2020 Draft's Potential Top Prospect

Only a select few NBA players who play predominantly at shooting guard possess Edwards' 6'5" size and 225-pound frame. He won't even turn 19 until after the 2020 draft. Explosive athleticism enhances his physical profile a notch further.

But credit gradual skill development for his rise and transformation from attacker and dunker to advanced shot-creator, three-level scorer and capable playmaker. His improved perimeter game has become a clear, notable takeaway that's strengthened his credibility as an elite NBA prospect.

Edwards' power and explosiveness regularly translate to easy baskets in transition. His open-floor ball-handling creates more opportunities at the rim, and he shows good control with both hands while dribbling at full speed. He doesn't need a straight-line path to finish on the break as he's capable of weaving through traffic with violent changes of direction.

Spoiler:

An obvious threat to get downhill, he earns himself high-percentage layup and dunk attempts, usually by bouncing high off two feet, which is his preferred launch method. He can explode upward for a finish above the cylinder before putting a foot in the restricted area, allowing him to beat rim protectors to the spot:

Spoiler:

His progression as a pull-up and step-back shooter has still been the primary way he's elevated his scoring. With a green light and budding confidence in his perimeter game, he can get carried away with low-percentage hero shots. Still more of a shot-maker who tends to lean on deeper dribble jumpers than a pure shooter, Edwards is a long shot to top the 35 percent mark from three as a freshman at Georgia or rookie in the NBA.

Flashes of playmaking have led to some optimism about Edwards' potential as an initiator and combo guard.

Heading into the 2019-20 season, no consensus No. 1 prospect has emerged.

Anthony could end up the safer choice for some, assuming he puts up monstrous numbers running the show for a top-ranked program. Edwards starts at No. 1 with can't-beat positional tools and athleticism, a level of skill that's already high but still rising and enormous room to improve based on his age and fixable weaknesses.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#116 » by Spud2nique » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:39 am

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

Even though I extended an invitation, somehow the idea of you showing your mugg there unnerves me. Why is that?

You extended an invitation to Brad? Were you drunk? The guy wants to flip Collins for Simmons. Comoooon man. Plus he wouldn’t like it in the other land anyways, he’d freckle or something.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#117 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm

TBF, I don't think Collins is going anywhere anytime soon. He's a perfect partner for Trae and has been nothing but a superb ambassador for this city and this franchise.

But if we're going to make the jump into the upper echelon of teams in the league, we likely need another elite offensive talent at the 4 or 5 spot.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#118 » by jayu70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:TBF, I don't think Collins is going anywhere anytime soon. He's a perfect partner for Trae and has been nothing but a superb ambassador for this city and this franchise.

But if we're going to make the jump into the upper echelon of teams in the league, we likely need another elite offensive talent at the 4 or 5 spot.

I think we need 'elite offensive talent' at the wing spot more so....and a servicable on offense, elite defensive C.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#119 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:41 pm

jayu70 wrote:I think we need 'elite offensive talent' at the wing spot more so....and a serviceable on offense, elite defensive C.

You're not wrong. But Travis just paid a King's Ransom to draft a wing player who is decidedly NOT an 'elite offensive talent'.

Spoiler:
NBA Rookies Who Won't Live Up to Their Draft Spot

De'Andre Hunter | Atlanta Hawks

The Atlanta Hawks targeted De'Andre Hunter and traded up to No. 4 overall to secure him. They'll regret not staying put and keeping Nos. 8 and 17.

Hunter may turn into a fine role player, even as a rookie. But he won't finish as a top-five prospect from this class.

His floor—propped up by defensive tools and accurate college shooting—looked more attractive than his ceiling entering the draft. Hunter lacks the athleticism and skill set synonymous with upside. He isn't a blow-by athlete, explosive finisher or advanced shot-creator.

Even his jump shot comes with legitimacy questions. He only made 46 threes through 38 games while averaging 32.5 minutes as a 21-year-old sophomore. He shot just 23-of-62 on pull-up jumpers.

Unlikely to be an impact passer or board man after averaging 2.0 assists and 5.1 rebounds, Hunter will seemingly need to become an elite NBA defender to justify No. 4 overall value. I wouldn't bet on it—or his scoring attack suddenly blowing up.

The New Orleans Pelicans, who turned No. 4 into summer league stars Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker, will wind up thanking Atlanta for falling in love with Hunter.
Bleacher Report

De'Andre Hunter, Virginia | Sophomore

Hunter peaked at a good time with a star turn at the Final Four, and while he may not be a franchise-changing player, he has a chance to be a solid, useful one. Depending on which team you are, the fact that he's older and more prepared to play in the NBA tomorrow than most of the draft’s top prospects makes him a lottery option. But the upside with him is not immense. Hunter is functionally strong, but not extremely fluid or explosive, and lacks natural instincts as a scorer playing off the dribble. Most scouts still don’t entirely trust his jumper. He’s an unflashy all-around player who can defend a variety of positions, and won’t hurt you in any one area. It does help that you more or less know exactly what you’re getting with him, and the hope is that he’ll be a versatile, defensive-minded starter who knocks down open threes early in his career. He’s someone you value for floor more than upside.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#120 » by jayu70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I think we need 'elite offensive talent' at the wing spot more so....and a serviceable on offense, elite defensive C.

You're not wrong. But Travis just paid a King's Ransom to draft a wing player is decidedly NOT an 'elite offensive talent'.

I'll actually wait until he plays NBA games before I make a definitive statement regarding what he is or isn't. Not saying he is Kawhi but he wasn't supposed to be 'an elite offensive tskent' either.
King's Ransom? Really? Most thought it would cost our 2 top ten picks plus #17, a future 1st and 2nds (see trade board talk b4 the draft)
The cost was 8, 17, and 3 2nds especially in context of what we got for the Trae Luka swap.

Return to Atlanta Hawks