ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#241 » by kg01 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
I still have concerns regarding this kid and his decision-making. (I've seen a lot of moderate red flags along the way.)

Rebuilding is long and hard. Doing it behind one-and-done teenagers is exhausting. We definitely need another long-term piece, though.

Eh, this smells like you tryna be right but I'm not gonna fight you on it (right now).

FTR, this guy's concerns really echo my own on Wiseman.

Spoiler:
Fischella wrote:I'd be higher on Wiseman if a) his IQ wasn't super suspect b) his motor/physicality didn't run hot/cold that much

He reminds me of Drummond in those aspects (not same prospects overall)

Also his skill level just isn't there, he tries stuff but nowhere close

I think he can be a top10 Center maybe, but to be a high draft pick you need to gimme more to rely on projecting him as a top5 Center, he just hasn't, not in HS, nor in his brief college stint

Soomeone will take him top3-5 for sure, but to me he belongs in the teens

I've seen enough red flags before now to question his long term upside. His decision-making (and that of his family) since moving to Memphis doesn't really give me more confidence that we should place the hopes of our franchise on his back.

Eh, ok. As I've said, I don't want us to take any of these dudes. You're piling on, @cleo-liver. Throw tha d*mn towel!!!
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#242 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:11 pm

kg01 wrote:Eh, ok. As I've said, I don't want us to take any of these dudes. You're piling on, @cleo-liver. Throw tha d*mn towel!!!

LOL...I understood that reference.

kg01
General Manager

Post#243 » by kg01 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Eh, ok. As I've said, I don't want us to take any of these dudes. You're piling on, @cleo-liver. Throw tha d*mn towel!!!

LOL...I understood that reference.

Good. You get back the 10 cool points I took away from ... well, just because.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#244 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Jeremy Woo wrote:It’s difficult to truly get a bead on large-scale pessimism, but based on conversations I’ve had over the first two months of the season, a wide, wide range of sources across the industry seem to agree that the 2020 draft class, well, kind of sucks. It doesn’t help that so few of the established top prospects are actually playing basketball.

It’s bleak, but at this point, you at least have to ask yourself: What if none of these guys are actually that good? It’s not crazy to think this could be the worst draft since 2013, when (gulp) Anthony Bennett went first overall.

...teams have to reckon with the fact that this just may not be the best year to invest the money, time and optics that come with a high lottery pick, or even to find a player they love in the 20-30 range. As the buyers and sellers begin to separate themselves, teams have to start asking themselves how much a 2020 draft pick is really worth.
SI.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#245 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Wiseman, 18, will be one of the toughest players for NBA scouts to evaluate. Virtually all of his potential strengths are followed by a “but.”

A few examples:

• Wiseman is built like an ideal modern big at 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and a muscular, 250-pound frame. But he lacks physicality battling against opposing bigs in the paint, and he’s too comfortable settling for a jumper.
  • Wiseman projects as a versatile scorer who can throw down lobs at the rim and space the floor. But he’s a subpar shooter from the line and the field, raising questions about his touch from outside; to make matters worse, he has poor shot selection.
  • Wiseman uses his long arms and explosiveness to block and alter shots at the rim; he could become a feared threat simply because of his presence inside. But he lacks discipline, often jumping at pump fakes, and fundamental skills like poor footwork and awareness need work.

Prospects can get nitpicked to no end in the run-up to the draft, but you don’t need to zoom in to find Wiseman’s flaws. That’s why scouts wonder whether he could slip in the draft like did Myles Turner did in 2015 after a shaky freshman season at Texas. I’ve talked to NBA executives who have Wiseman ranked in the top three, and others who wouldn’t put him in the top 10. But he had the upside of becoming the unanimous top prospect if he had an impressive freshman season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#246 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:10 am

NBA draft stock watch: Latest breakout players for 2020

Onyeka Okongwu | 6-9 | C | Age: 19

Overall ranking:
No. 15

Okongwu has emerged as one of the most productive players in the NCAA...He ranks eighth in the country in player efficiency rating (39.2), with eye-popping per-40-minute averages of 26.6 points, 13.1 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 4.5 blocks while shooting 63.7% from 2 and 72.1% from the foul line. More of an acquired taste for some scouts as a 6-foot-9 center who doesn't space the floor, Okongwu has been just short of dominant through 11 games, without needing a huge offensive role to make an impact.

While the fact that he can score with his back to the basket is a big reason he has been so productive, Okongwu's true NBA intrigue lies on the defensive end. He has outstanding timing in the paint as a rim-protector and has shown the ability to switch onto guards, while also understanding how to drop in pick-and-rolls. Even at his size, he can elevate and snatch defensive rebounds in traffic. He plays hard, with the instincts and incredible quick-leaping ability to fit in the modern game -- even if he does get buried in the post by traditional centers.

Offensively, Okongwu plays a simple game. He does a lot of his damage in the paint on offensive rebounds, post-ups and at-rim finishes, with great hands and touch. What makes Okongwu most intriguing is his feel for the game. He handles double-teams with patience and passes well. He rarely takes a bad shot and even has the natural touch to potentially take and make occasional 3s down the line.

He might not have the same upside appeal as Wiseman, but it wouldn't be shocking to look back in a few years and see Okongwu as the most impactful center from this draft. Although not quite as bouncy, he holds some similar strengths and weaknesses to Bam Adebayo. -- Mike Schmitz
ESPN Insider
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#247 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:54 pm

NCAA Draft 2020: Biggest rising and falling stocks at end of non-conference

Rising – Obi Toppin

The standout wing from Dayton has been one of the best players in college basketball this season, and his name is continuing to rise.

The No. 13 ranked Flyers have gotten off to an impressive start this season, and the primary reason for that has been the play of Toppin.

The six-foot, nine-inch sophomore has elevated his game to the point where he is now averaging 20.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 2.1 assists on an absurd 63.9/41.4/75.0 percent shooting line.

Toppin checks all of the boxes that NBA Front Offices want to see. He has good size for his position, he’s a fluid athlete, and he has a smooth shooting stroke. He offers a unique package of skills that are all in high demand with the current style of play in the NBA.

Not only does Toppin look the part of an NBA guy physically, but he’s rounding out his skill set to keep up with that trajectory.

The sophomore should offer value right away as a pick-and-roll player where he can either step behind the line and stroke threes, or dive to the rim and finish strong with either hand or over the top of defenders.

Toppin showed a glimpse of all he’s capable of against Georgia at the Maui Invitational, and rather than being an outlier, that type of performance has become the norm for him this season. His name should continue to fly up draft board’s as the year goes on.
Fansided
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#248 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 pm

NCAA Draft 2020: Biggest rising and falling stocks at end of non-conference

Rising – Onyeka Okungwu

The freshman forward has been a pleasant surprise to start off the season for the Trojans and he is continuing to raise his profile

USC has been regarded in the past for the recruitment of the Mobley brother’s, Evan (high school senior this year) and Isaiah (freshman on USC now), but it’s been Okungwu who has stood out for the Trojans so far this season.

The former Chino Hills big man is averaging 18.4 and 9.0 rebounds per game on the season and has looked super impressive out of the gates.

The offense has been a great development, but where Okungwu will really set himself apart will be the value he’s going to offer on the defensive end of the floor. He already had eight blocks in a game this season, and is carrying impressive averages of 2.7 blocks and 1.4 steals per game.

In theory, Okungwu has the athletic ability to protect the rim as a shot blocker, and the foot speed and agility to stay with guards in space. That versatility is perfect for the new age NBA.

If Okungwu continues to play offense the way he has so far, NBA Front Offices will fall in love with him as a prospect combing those exploits with his defense and motor.
Fansided
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#249 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:Which NBA teams make the most sense for James Wiseman?

In my opinion, he’s a potential All-Defense team type of difference-maker with offensive potential as a screen-and-roll rim-runner, and a trailer 3-point shooter on offense. His length is a legitimate factor all over the floor. That’s why he’s in the mix to be selected in the top five of the draft.

Atlanta Hawks (6-22)

The Hawks might be more desperate for a center than any other team in the league. Long term, the team sees John Collins as more of a 4. The triumvirate of Alex Len, the aforementioned Damian Jones, and Bruno Fernando hasn’t gotten the job done inside. The Hawks desperately need another defensive centerpiece in the middle to join fourth overall pick De’Andre Hunter on the wing.

They’re absolutely going to be in the mix for Wiseman, but some executives have raised the point that the Hawks also could choose to address their need in the middle in free agency. They’re one of the few teams slated to have max cap space, and thus will have a lot of options in how they solve this roster problem.

Do they take a perimeter scorer to play with Trae in the backcourt, and then get a center on the free agency market — a proposition that has to be appealing given the way the bottom has fallen out of the center market in recent years? Or, do they just take Wiseman and fix the other roster holes in free agency? The need is there and they are one of the few teams with the flexibility to get creative.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#250 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Spoiler:
2. Atlanta Hawks: James Wiseman (Memphis, C, Freshman)

Key stats (in three games): 19.7 PTS, 10.7 REB, 3.0 BLK, 76.9 FG%

With Edwards gone, the Atlanta Hawks could find themselves in a pickle, stuck choosing between injured point guards and a center who left college after playing just three games.

Would a Trae Young-LaMelo Ball duo work for the No. 27-ranked defense? And can Young and ball-dominant Cole Anthony coexist offensively?

The Hawks may talk themselves into James Wiseman, who'd give Young another high-percentage target and Atlanta someone with a 7'6" wingspan for rim protection.

Assuming most teams viewed Wiseman as a top pick heading into the season, they aren't likely to downgrade him for leaving school early, particularly since Anthony hasn't helped his case.

Ball should make Atlanta think, given his positional size and offensive skill package. But the Hawks may favor Wiseman, knowing that his tools and athleticism seem guaranteed to translate to easy baskets and shot-blocking from the center position.

18. Atlanta Hawks (via Nets): Aaron Nesmith (Vanderbilt, SF, Sophomore)

Converting 50.0 percent on 8.5 three-point attempts per game, Nesmith continues to bury jumpers at a scorching rate. He's emerged as one of the draft's premier shooters for both his accuracy and shot-making versatility. Nesmith isn't an advanced creator or passer, but playoff teams should value a 6'6” wing who can spread the floor and run off screens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#251 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:26 pm

A guy who could really aid our defense and address the hole at backup PG:

Tyrese Haliburton (Iowa State, PG, Sophomore)

Key stats: 17.3 PTS, 7.7 AST, 5.7 REB, 2.5 STL, 54.1 FG%, 42.4 3P%

With 79 assists, 26 turnovers and 25 steals through 10 games, Tyrese Haliburton continues to showcase the playmaking IQ and defensive anticipation that stood out at last summer's U19 World Cup.

The improved scoring should push him into the lottery mix. Averaging 17.3 points with a 65.3 true shooting percentage, Haliburton is making open threes while finding ways to compensate for his limited burst inside the arc.

At worst, [teams] will feel they're getting a terrific passer and ultra-efficient guard who can add value defensively.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#252 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager

Post#253 » by kg01 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not impressed. #1 pick should be generational. I don't see that in him or Wiseman. I see "good" prospect. I'm over "good" prospects.

Trade the pick.

Jamaaliver wrote:A guy who could really aid our defense and address the hole at backup PG:

With 79 assists, 26 turnovers and 25 steals through 10 games, Tyrese Haliburton continues to showcase the playmaking IQ and defensive anticipation that stood out at last summer's U19 World Cup.

The improved scoring should push him into the lottery mix. Averaging 17.3 points with a 65.3 true shooting percentage, Haliburton is making open threes while finding ways to compensate for his limited burst inside the arc.

At worst, [teams] will feel they're getting a terrific passer and ultra-efficient guard who can add value defensively.

What are the odds that we'll find success at backup pg with a rookie though?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,921

Post#254 » by jayu70 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:53 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not impressed. #1 pick should be generational. I don't see that in him or Wiseman. I see "good" prospect. I'm over "good" prospects.

Trade the pick.

Jamaaliver wrote:A guy who could really aid our defense and address the hole at backup PG:

What are the odds that we'll find success at backup pg with a rookie though?

Depends on who is actually available for the 'top pick' we get.
If we end up with a pick in the 1-4 range, who are you trading for?
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#255 » by King Ken » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:11 pm

Trade down or trade the pick guys, other teams gotta like this trade too
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#256 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 am

What do you guys think about Bruno Fernando? Looking like a future starter? Role player? Or bust?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#257 » by EazyRoc » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:08 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:What do you guys think about Bruno Fernando? Looking like a future starter? Role player? Or bust?
Too early to tell but I think he turns out to be very similar to Hawks version of Dedmon not Kings version.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#258 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:30 am

EazyRoc wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:What do you guys think about Bruno Fernando? Looking like a future starter? Role player? Or bust?
Too early to tell but I think he turns out to be very similar to Hawks version of Dedmon not Kings version.

Thanks.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#259 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:45 am

Too early to tell. I think Brad Miller with defensive chops is his long term goals. As of right now, he is a raw but add defensive value with his energy and effort.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,432

Post#260 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 am

The game is way too fast for him. I only see a decent role player off the bench as his ceiling right now. You can tell he has some confidence issues up against guys bigger and taller than him.

I like a couple of guys for the Nets pick in Paul Reed and Aaron Nesmith.

Reed is avg. 11 rebounds, 1.5 steals, and 3 blocks. He's the help defender and glue guy you need support this defense.

Nesmith is shooting 50% from 3 on 8.5 attempts. Guys that can give 30 on any given game has to be on your radar. Not just a scorer, adds 1 block and 1.5 steals a game.

Return to Atlanta Hawks