ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
1
6%
Trade into the top 3
4
24%
Trade for later/future picks
3
18%
Draft Best Player Available
2
12%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
1
6%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
3
18%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
0
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
3
18%
 
Total votes: 17

jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 11,259
And1: 8,138
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#901 » by jayu70 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 12:39 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:How do you rate this draft at #2 vs Reddish?


I believe Hawks fans value Reddish much more than the rest of the league does. He isn't a franchise caliber player by any means. But he has a solid chance to be a long-time building block.

LaMelo Ball likely appeals to franchises like NYK, Charlotte, Detroit as a franchise player...and they're likely to overpay for the chance to build around him.

I asked how do YOU rate a player we could take at #2 (to help the team win next season) vs Cam.
Yes, teams like NYK, Detroit, Charlotte that are in desperate need of a PG would like Ball.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#902 » by Spud2nique » Sun Oct 4, 2020 6:03 am

:eek2: :lol:
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#903 » by King Ken » Sun Oct 4, 2020 7:07 am

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:How do you rate this draft at #2 vs Reddish?


I believe Hawks fans value Reddish much more than the rest of the league does. He isn't a franchise caliber player by any means. But he has a solid chance to be a long-time building block.

LaMelo Ball likely appeals to franchises like NYK, Charlotte, Detroit as a franchise player...and they're likely to overpay for the chance to build around him.

I asked how do YOU rate a player we could take at #2 (to help the team win next season) vs Cam.
Yes, teams like NYK, Detroit, Charlotte that are in desperate need of a PG would like Ball.

He can't do that, you know JL don't want his words to be quoted on the wrong side of history board which he would be right. I would requote it and call him out for lack of whatever I feel at that time. It would be a smart move for him.

JL must be a writer because he's very careful at what he writes. That's why he attacked the fans without given an opinion of his own if it's negative or contrarian like based on the general opinion of the locals which we are.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#904 » by Spud2nique » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:34 am

King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
I believe Hawks fans value Reddish much more than the rest of the league does. He isn't a franchise caliber player by any means. But he has a solid chance to be a long-time building block.

LaMelo Ball likely appeals to franchises like NYK, Charlotte, Detroit as a franchise player...and they're likely to overpay for the chance to build around him.

I asked how do YOU rate a player we could take at #2 (to help the team win next season) vs Cam.
Yes, teams like NYK, Detroit, Charlotte that are in desperate need of a PG would like Ball.

He can't do that, you know JL don't want his words to be quoted on the wrong side of history board which he would be right. I would requote it and call him out for lack of whatever I feel at that time. It would be a smart move for him.

JL must be a writer because he's very careful at what he writes. That's why he attacked the fans without given an opinion of his own if it's negative or contrarian like based on the general opinion of the locals which we are.


Aka Jambrad
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#905 » by Spud2nique » Sun Oct 4, 2020 11:20 am

KK ur Toppin won’t fall past us apparently. I’d still like to end up with Gwu, Okoro Hali though.

• As mentioned, Obi Toppin has seen a considerable jump, thanks in part to CBS Sports and The Athletic both bumping him up to No. 5. Dayton’s athletic big man is still likely to go anywhere from No. 3 to No. 6, but now his lowest estimate is 8th. He’s a lottery lock, and likely won’t make it past No. 6.

Spud and Gramps smile... :nod:
MOST COMMON PICKS

No. 1 (Timberwolves): Anthony Edwards (7)

No. 2 (Warriors): LaMelo Ball (4)

No. 3 (Hornets): James Wiseman (4)

No. 4 (Bulls): Deni Avdija (3)

No. 5 (Cavaliers): Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin (4)

No. 6 (Hawks): Onyeka Okongwu, Tyrese Haliburton (3)

No. 7 (Pistons): Killian Hayes, Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 8 (Knicks): Devin Vassell (3)

No. 9 (Wizards): Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 10 (Suns): Aaron Nesmith (3)

No. 11 (Spurs): Patrick Williams (6)

No. 12 (Kings): Precious Achiuwa, Saddiq Bey, Aaron Nesmith, Devin Vassell (2)

No. 13 (Pelicans): Saddiq Bey (4)

No. 14 (Celtics): Cole Anthony (3)
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,885
And1: 1,261
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#906 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:22 pm

Former Maryland forward Jalen Smith on Spurs’ radar
Image

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Former-Maryland-forward-Jalen-Smith-on-Spurs-15603999.php
With his commitment to defense and low-key personality, former Maryland power forward Jalen Smith seems a good fit for the Spurs.
The Spurs select 11th overall and could target a big with LaMarcus Aldridge in the last year of his contract, Jakob Poeltl entering restricted free agency and second-year pro Luka Samanic likely in need of more G League seasoning.


I've liked Jalen Smith since day one. He was projected to be a late first pick back in February but with combine starting and personal work outs, he is now seens as a low lottery talent going as high as #10 and now linked to the Spurs at #11. This is the same thing that happen to Devin Booker years ago. Booker was projected to be a late first round pick but after the combine and work outs, ended up going in the late lottery.

I'm all for taking Smith at #6. Since last January, I've called Jalen a poor man's Anthony Davis and I'm still sticking with that. Jalen is in the same mold of new age centers like Bam and Myles Turner.

Hawks should trade down with the Knicks, but if that doesn't work, I'm all for Jalen Smith or Aaron Nesmith at #6

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/14/21435542/nba-mock-draft
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-tyrell-terry-rises-up-the-board/4/
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2911519-nba-mock-draft-2020-predictions-for-where-coveted-1st-round-prospects-will-land
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2908154-2020-nba-mock-draft-how-should-top-teams-view-lamelo-ball
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#907 » by Spud2nique » Sun Oct 4, 2020 2:44 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Former Maryland forward Jalen Smith on Spurs’ radar
Image

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Former-Maryland-forward-Jalen-Smith-on-Spurs-15603999.php
With his commitment to defense and low-key personality, former Maryland power forward Jalen Smith seems a good fit for the Spurs.
The Spurs select 11th overall and could target a big with LaMarcus Aldridge in the last year of his contract, Jakob Poeltl entering restricted free agency and second-year pro Luka Samanic likely in need of more G League seasoning.


I've liked Jalen Smith since day one. He was projected to be a late first pick back in February but with combine starting and personal work outs, he is now seens as a low lottery talent going as high as #10 and now linked to the Spurs at #11. This is the same thing that happen to Devin Booker years ago. Booker was projected to be a late first round pick but after the combine and work outs, ended up going in the late lottery.

I'm all for taking Smith at #6. Since last January, I've called Jalen a poor man's Anthony Davis and I'm still sticking with that. Jalen is in the same mold of new age centers like Bam and Myles Turner.

Hawks should trade down with the Knicks, but if that doesn't work, I'm all for Jalen Smith or Aaron Nesmith at #6

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/14/21435542/nba-mock-draft
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/01/nba-mock-draft-lamelo-ball-goes-no-1-tyrell-terry-rises-up-the-board/4/
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2911519-nba-mock-draft-2020-predictions-for-where-coveted-1st-round-prospects-will-land
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2908154-2020-nba-mock-draft-how-should-top-teams-view-lamelo-ball


So Jalen Smith is a poor man’s Ant Davis but also reminds you of Bam and Myles. That’s like a lot of completely different players all thrown into one.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#908 » by King Ken » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:12 pm

Spud2nique wrote:KK ur Toppin won’t fall past us apparently. I’d still like to end up with Gwu, Okoro Hali though.

• As mentioned, Obi Toppin has seen a considerable jump, thanks in part to CBS Sports and The Athletic both bumping him up to No. 5. Dayton’s athletic big man is still likely to go anywhere from No. 3 to No. 6, but now his lowest estimate is 8th. He’s a lottery lock, and likely won’t make it past No. 6.

Spud and Gramps smile... :nod:
MOST COMMON PICKS

No. 1 (Timberwolves): Anthony Edwards (7)

No. 2 (Warriors): LaMelo Ball (4)

No. 3 (Hornets): James Wiseman (4)

No. 4 (Bulls): Deni Avdija (3)

No. 5 (Cavaliers): Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin (4)

No. 6 (Hawks): Onyeka Okongwu, Tyrese Haliburton (3)

No. 7 (Pistons): Killian Hayes, Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 8 (Knicks): Devin Vassell (3)

No. 9 (Wizards): Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 10 (Suns): Aaron Nesmith (3)

No. 11 (Spurs): Patrick Williams (6)

No. 12 (Kings): Precious Achiuwa, Saddiq Bey, Aaron Nesmith, Devin Vassell (2)

No. 13 (Pelicans): Saddiq Bey (4)

No. 14 (Celtics): Cole Anthony (3)

As he shouldn't. Best player in the draft and fits our team. I am intrigued to see how he develops defensively but I don't question his offense especially with our system, Trae and Jeff.

Intrigued to see where Okongwu lands as well as what Charlotte does at #3
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#909 » by Spud2nique » Sun Oct 4, 2020 4:58 pm

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:KK ur Toppin won’t fall past us apparently. I’d still like to end up with Gwu, Okoro Hali though.

• As mentioned, Obi Toppin has seen a considerable jump, thanks in part to CBS Sports and The Athletic both bumping him up to No. 5. Dayton’s athletic big man is still likely to go anywhere from No. 3 to No. 6, but now his lowest estimate is 8th. He’s a lottery lock, and likely won’t make it past No. 6.

Spud and Gramps smile... :nod:
MOST COMMON PICKS

No. 1 (Timberwolves): Anthony Edwards (7)

No. 2 (Warriors): LaMelo Ball (4)

No. 3 (Hornets): James Wiseman (4)

No. 4 (Bulls): Deni Avdija (3)

No. 5 (Cavaliers): Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin (4)

No. 6 (Hawks): Onyeka Okongwu, Tyrese Haliburton (3)

No. 7 (Pistons): Killian Hayes, Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 8 (Knicks): Devin Vassell (3)

No. 9 (Wizards): Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 10 (Suns): Aaron Nesmith (3)

No. 11 (Spurs): Patrick Williams (6)

No. 12 (Kings): Precious Achiuwa, Saddiq Bey, Aaron Nesmith, Devin Vassell (2)

No. 13 (Pelicans): Saddiq Bey (4)

No. 14 (Celtics): Cole Anthony (3)

As he shouldn't. Best player in the draft and fits our team. I am intrigued to see how he develops defensively but I don't question his offense especially with our system, Trae and Jeff.

Intrigued to see where Okongwu lands as well as what Charlotte does at #3


We obviously get better either way. If you get ur Toppin we become a Suns type of team from 15 years ago, if we get Gwu we become more of a Spurs team from 15 years ago. Both great, not sure if we wanna run folks off the floor with offense or just grind them down. Either way I’m looking forward to the structure we are building. We’ve never had as solid a plan as we are showing in..well ever.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#910 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:21 am

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:KK ur Toppin won’t fall past us apparently. I’d still like to end up with Gwu, Okoro Hali though.

• As mentioned, Obi Toppin has seen a considerable jump, thanks in part to CBS Sports and The Athletic both bumping him up to No. 5. Dayton’s athletic big man is still likely to go anywhere from No. 3 to No. 6, but now his lowest estimate is 8th. He’s a lottery lock, and likely won’t make it past No. 6.

Spud and Gramps smile... :nod:
MOST COMMON PICKS

No. 1 (Timberwolves): Anthony Edwards (7)

No. 2 (Warriors): LaMelo Ball (4)

No. 3 (Hornets): James Wiseman (4)

No. 4 (Bulls): Deni Avdija (3)

No. 5 (Cavaliers): Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin (4)

No. 6 (Hawks): Onyeka Okongwu, Tyrese Haliburton (3)

No. 7 (Pistons): Killian Hayes, Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 8 (Knicks): Devin Vassell (3)

No. 9 (Wizards): Onyeka Okongwu (3)

No. 10 (Suns): Aaron Nesmith (3)

No. 11 (Spurs): Patrick Williams (6)

No. 12 (Kings): Precious Achiuwa, Saddiq Bey, Aaron Nesmith, Devin Vassell (2)

No. 13 (Pelicans): Saddiq Bey (4)

No. 14 (Celtics): Cole Anthony (3)

As he shouldn't. Best player in the draft and fits our team. I am intrigued to see how he develops defensively but I don't question his offense especially with our system, Trae and Jeff.

Intrigued to see where Okongwu lands as well as what Charlotte does at #3


We obviously get better either way. If you get ur Toppin we become a Suns type of team from 15 years ago, if we get Gwu we become more of a Spurs team from 15 years ago. Both great, not sure if we wanna run folks off the floor with offense or just grind them down. Either way I’m looking forward to the structure we are building. We’ve never had as solid a plan as we are showing in..well ever.

This ain't it chief. Okongwu ain't no Tim Duncan and Obi Toppin ain't Amar'e.

That said, I wish the best to both guys and wouldn't be mad if we landed Okongwu and obviously would be excited if we landed Obi.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#911 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:37 am

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:As he shouldn't. Best player in the draft and fits our team. I am intrigued to see how he develops defensively but I don't question his offense especially with our system, Trae and Jeff.

Intrigued to see where Okongwu lands as well as what Charlotte does at #3


We obviously get better either way. If you get ur Toppin we become a Suns type of team from 15 years ago, if we get Gwu we become more of a Spurs team from 15 years ago. Both great, not sure if we wanna run folks off the floor with offense or just grind them down. Either way I’m looking forward to the structure we are building. We’ve never had as solid a plan as we are showing in..well ever.

This ain't it chief. Okongwu ain't no Tim Duncan and Obi Toppin ain't Amar'e.

That said, I wish the best to both guys and wouldn't be mad if we landed Okongwu and obviously would be excited if we landed Obi.


Not directly relating player to player but rather a grind down spurs style of a balanced offensive and defensive attack vs the old Suns of a higher paced offense and slightly less defense (with Toppin you are getting more O and less D, that’s a FACT, you can throw random stats but Toppin sucks at D but thrives offensively and the big O is almost the exact opposite where it’s hard as hell to move him out of certain spots on D and he will feast but less O than Topps for sure.

Comon Supes you gotta look deeper my fella.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,506
And1: 576
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#912 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:59 am

King Ken wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:On paper that's looks appealing to another team but I digress. I see the Hawks model for success as pretty clear. Being that the 10th pick in the 2019 didn't have much value.



If we're trying to secure a true superstar, a top-10 player to pair with Trae Young -- a package built around #2, #6, Capela, John Collins is easily the most attractive on the market.

I like Cam. But he's years away from what we HOPE he becomes. A lot can happen in that time.

For a chance to acquire Embiid or Simmons or Beal or Giannis or KAT -- we'd be out of our minds to pass up the opportunity for an unproven kid.

Reddish has potential, but there will be other two way wings.

Spoiler:
I'm not sure how many of you guys were around 5+ years ago. But we used to have Hawks fans in this forum stating that they'd rather have Jeff Teague than Kyrie Irving. Or Teague over Russ Westbrook. Or Teague over Damian Lillard.

This feels like that type of blind, delusional homerism.

Making Cam Reddish largely untouchable after 6 weeks of solid basketball...is insane.

Cam Reddish is untouchable to me. I could care less if he isn't to you.

No one trading us a superstar if they see our players like you do in the 1st place

He did more than just play good Basketball in 6 weeks. His damn Points per touch was nearly 50% and 3rd in the NBA for someone playing more than 24 mpg. His defense shined when others around him couldn't hold their water. He was drawing fouls. He massively improved his WAR from -3 in December to -0.1 which is a 2.9 swing and 2nd on our team behind Trae Young from Jan to the end of our season.

Hell no we are trading for your silly ass concoction. We aren't getting no damn superstar and no, there aren't wings around just there on the damn level of Cameron Reddish. Boy, you done bumped your damn head posting in this place by yourself


Damn Ken, you killing me again :lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally agree with you though and it seems that Jamal has slipped to the dark side. Come back Jamal
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#913 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:27 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
We obviously get better either way. If you get ur Toppin we become a Suns type of team from 15 years ago, if we get Gwu we become more of a Spurs team from 15 years ago. Both great, not sure if we wanna run folks off the floor with offense or just grind them down. Either way I’m looking forward to the structure we are building. We’ve never had as solid a plan as we are showing in..well ever.

This ain't it chief. Okongwu ain't no Tim Duncan and Obi Toppin ain't Amar'e.

That said, I wish the best to both guys and wouldn't be mad if we landed Okongwu and obviously would be excited if we landed Obi.


Not directly relating player to player but rather a grind down spurs style of a balanced offensive and defensive attack vs the old Suns of a higher paced offense and slightly less defense (with Toppin you are getting more O and less D, that’s a FACT, you can throw random stats but Toppin sucks at D but thrives offensively and the big O is almost the exact opposite where it’s hard as hell to move him out of certain spots on D and he will feast but less O than Topps for sure.

Comon Supes you gotta look deeper my fella.

When you say Spurs, you are talking about a championship organization and a championship style of play historically speaking. When you say Suns, you are talking about fun and exciting but not championship Basketball. I actually think both Obi and Okongwu are capable of winning Basketball and we do not know if either is capable of championship Basketball yet.

I just had to disagree on the premise of that statement. If Okongwu is Tim Duncan, he would be the 1st overall pick and Minnesota would not consider even moving the pick. I think your view might be where we completely disagree.

If you said Jazz with Favors to Suns, I would still disagree but that would make a lot more sense. At the end of the day, Okongwu is the most balanced prospect but he's not close to the high end that Tim Duncan is. That's like comparing Hedo to Luka.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#914 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:51 pm

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:This ain't it chief. Okongwu ain't no Tim Duncan and Obi Toppin ain't Amar'e.

That said, I wish the best to both guys and wouldn't be mad if we landed Okongwu and obviously would be excited if we landed Obi.


Not directly relating player to player but rather a grind down spurs style of a balanced offensive and defensive attack vs the old Suns of a higher paced offense and slightly less defense (with Toppin you are getting more O and less D, that’s a FACT, you can throw random stats but Toppin sucks at D but thrives offensively and the big O is almost the exact opposite where it’s hard as hell to move him out of certain spots on D and he will feast but less O than Topps for sure.

Comon Supes you gotta look deeper my fella.

When you say Spurs, you are talking about a championship organization and a championship style of play historically speaking. When you say Suns, you are talking about fun and exciting but not championship Basketball. I actually think both Obi and Okongwu are capable of winning Basketball and we do not know if either is capable of championship Basketball yet.

I just had to disagree on the premise of that statement. If Okongwu is Tim Duncan, he would be the 1st overall pick and Minnesota would not consider even moving the pick. I think your view might be where we completely disagree.

If you said Jazz with Favors to Suns, I would still disagree but that would make a lot more sense. At the end of the day, Okongwu is the most balanced prospect but he's not close to the high end that Tim Duncan is. That's like comparing Hedo to Luka.


See that’s the thing though, you jumped to conclusions because the only person that compared Okongwu to Timmy was you. All I said was our pick should signify what kind of direction we are more likely to emulate as far as the style of play with more emphasis on defense (spurs style) or offense (Suns).

I don’t have an Okongwu comparison so much but Toppin does play like Amare for sure with the inside game and the physical attacking but has a superior perimeter game to Amare as Amare would only be consistent from 15 ft. Even that, you’d probably allow Amare to take vs drive inside. Toppin brings a Kuzma style perimeter with a lite interior of Amare’s play.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#915 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:41 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
Not directly relating player to player but rather a grind down spurs style of a balanced offensive and defensive attack vs the old Suns of a higher paced offense and slightly less defense (with Toppin you are getting more O and less D, that’s a FACT, you can throw random stats but Toppin sucks at D but thrives offensively and the big O is almost the exact opposite where it’s hard as hell to move him out of certain spots on D and he will feast but less O than Topps for sure.

Comon Supes you gotta look deeper my fella.

When you say Spurs, you are talking about a championship organization and a championship style of play historically speaking. When you say Suns, you are talking about fun and exciting but not championship Basketball. I actually think both Obi and Okongwu are capable of winning Basketball and we do not know if either is capable of championship Basketball yet.

I just had to disagree on the premise of that statement. If Okongwu is Tim Duncan, he would be the 1st overall pick and Minnesota would not consider even moving the pick. I think your view might be where we completely disagree.

If you said Jazz with Favors to Suns, I would still disagree but that would make a lot more sense. At the end of the day, Okongwu is the most balanced prospect but he's not close to the high end that Tim Duncan is. That's like comparing Hedo to Luka.


See that’s the thing though, you jumped to conclusions because the only person that compared Okongwu to Timmy was you. All I said was our pick should signify what kind of direction we are more likely to emulate as far as the style of play with more emphasis on defense (spurs style) or offense (Suns).

I don’t have an Okongwu comparison so much but Toppin does play like Amare for sure with the inside game and the physical attacking but has a superior perimeter game to Amare as Amare would only be consistent from 15 ft. Even that, you’d probably allow Amare to take vs drive inside.

Toppin brings a Kuzma style perimeter with a lite interior of Amare’s play.

I would say he's most like Horford but the rest of the Kuzma with lite Amar'e makes sense additionally.

You are right, I jumped to conclusions. I think anyone would. I still think you should have just used the comparison without mentioning teams from my perspective. I think the Spurs are more than just an emphasis on defense. They are the masters of efficient offense as well which Obi is the best at in this draft class.

I like both players. I think both are good picks for the franchises that chooses them
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,506
And1: 576
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#916 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:52 pm

Hawks are going to create their own legacy and hopehully dynasty. No comparaisons needed
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#917 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:59 pm

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:When you say Spurs, you are talking about a championship organization and a championship style of play historically speaking. When you say Suns, you are talking about fun and exciting but not championship Basketball. I actually think both Obi and Okongwu are capable of winning Basketball and we do not know if either is capable of championship Basketball yet.

I just had to disagree on the premise of that statement. If Okongwu is Tim Duncan, he would be the 1st overall pick and Minnesota would not consider even moving the pick. I think your view might be where we completely disagree.

If you said Jazz with Favors to Suns, I would still disagree but that would make a lot more sense. At the end of the day, Okongwu is the most balanced prospect but he's not close to the high end that Tim Duncan is. That's like comparing Hedo to Luka.


See that’s the thing though, you jumped to conclusions because the only person that compared Okongwu to Timmy was you. All I said was our pick should signify what kind of direction we are more likely to emulate as far as the style of play with more emphasis on defense (spurs style) or offense (Suns).

I don’t have an Okongwu comparison so much but Toppin does play like Amare for sure with the inside game and the physical attacking but has a superior perimeter game to Amare as Amare would only be consistent from 15 ft. Even that, you’d probably allow Amare to take vs drive inside.

Toppin brings a Kuzma style perimeter with a lite interior of Amare’s play.

I would say he's most like Horford but the rest of the Kuzma with lite Amar'e makes sense additionally.

You are right, I jumped to conclusions. I think anyone would. I still think you should have just used the comparison without mentioning teams from my perspective. I think the Spurs are more than just an emphasis on defense. They are the masters of efficient offense as well which Obi is the best at in this draft class.

I like both players. I think both are good picks for the franchises that chooses them


Efficient Obi? That would be pretty scary. Again, the fact that he and Collins are more similar than Gwu and Collins are big for me. I want that glue defensive anchor. A bucket stopper inside, that’s Gwu to me. That gets you wins when wins are hard to come by. Comon Supes you’ve seen this movie before.

I’m with you and every other Hawks fan though, I don’t give a flying monkey whether I’m right or wrong I just want a damn ring before I’m dead, that’s all.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#918 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:02 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
See that’s the thing though, you jumped to conclusions because the only person that compared Okongwu to Timmy was you. All I said was our pick should signify what kind of direction we are more likely to emulate as far as the style of play with more emphasis on defense (spurs style) or offense (Suns).

I don’t have an Okongwu comparison so much but Toppin does play like Amare for sure with the inside game and the physical attacking but has a superior perimeter game to Amare as Amare would only be consistent from 15 ft. Even that, you’d probably allow Amare to take vs drive inside.

Toppin brings a Kuzma style perimeter with a lite interior of Amare’s play.

I would say he's most like Horford but the rest of the Kuzma with lite Amar'e makes sense additionally.

You are right, I jumped to conclusions. I think anyone would. I still think you should have just used the comparison without mentioning teams from my perspective. I think the Spurs are more than just an emphasis on defense. They are the masters of efficient offense as well which Obi is the best at in this draft class.

I like both players. I think both are good picks for the franchises that chooses them


Efficient Obi? That would be pretty scary. Again, the fact that he and Collins are more similar than Gwu and Collins are big for me. I want that glue defensive anchor. A bucket stopper inside, that’s Gwu to me. That gets you wins when wins are hard to come by. Comon Supes you’ve seen this movie before.

I’m with you and every other Hawks fan though, I don’t give a flying monkey whether I’m right or wrong I just want a damn ring before I’m dead, that’s all.

I been telling that he's more like JC than Obi is but too many Hawk fans want to see them as the same player when he has little in common with JC outside of rim running and finishing alleys.

He might not be as athletic as JC but they are similar players, Okongwu just has better potential on defense and is not the level of scorer minded that JC is
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 4,185
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#919 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:04 pm

King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:I would say he's most like Horford but the rest of the Kuzma with lite Amar'e makes sense additionally.

You are right, I jumped to conclusions. I think anyone would. I still think you should have just used the comparison without mentioning teams from my perspective. I think the Spurs are more than just an emphasis on defense. They are the masters of efficient offense as well which Obi is the best at in this draft class.

I like both players. I think both are good picks for the franchises that chooses them


Efficient Obi? That would be pretty scary. Again, the fact that he and Collins are more similar than Gwu and Collins are big for me. I want that glue defensive anchor. A bucket stopper inside, that’s Gwu to me. That gets you wins when wins are hard to come by. Comon Supes you’ve seen this movie before.

I’m with you and every other Hawks fan though, I don’t give a flying monkey whether I’m right or wrong I just want a damn ring before I’m dead, that’s all.

I been telling that he's more like JC than Obi is but too many Hawk fans want to see them as the same player when he has little in common with JC outside of rim running and finishing alleys.

He might not be as athletic as JC but they are similar players, Okongwu just has better potential on defense and is not the level of scorer minded that JC is


In 5 years we need to come back to this to see who has the higher win % as a player. I’m willing to bet it’s Gwu.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
King Ken
General Manager
Posts: 8,901
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
   

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#920 » by King Ken » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:22 am

Spud2nique wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
Efficient Obi? That would be pretty scary. Again, the fact that he and Collins are more similar than Gwu and Collins are big for me. I want that glue defensive anchor. A bucket stopper inside, that’s Gwu to me. That gets you wins when wins are hard to come by. Comon Supes you’ve seen this movie before.

I’m with you and every other Hawks fan though, I don’t give a flying monkey whether I’m right or wrong I just want a damn ring before I’m dead, that’s all.

I been telling that he's more like JC than Obi is but too many Hawk fans want to see them as the same player when he has little in common with JC outside of rim running and finishing alleys.

He might not be as athletic as JC but they are similar players, Okongwu just has better potential on defense and is not the level of scorer minded that JC is


In 5 years we need to come back to this to see who has the higher win % as a player. I’m willing to bet it’s Gwu.

I wouldn't do that bet if I was you

Return to Atlanta Hawks