ImageImage

Evan Turner to Atlanta

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Evan Turner to Atlanta 

Post#21 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Good luck Baze! Ultimate Hawk. End of an era. Go Blazers. Is there anyway to even attach an asset to Turner to try and trade him. Feels like our young guards are ready to get some burn.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Happy for Baze who will be playing for a contender in Portland. I look forward to him having personal and possibly team success.

I believe Evan Turner will have more trade value during the upcoming season as the deadline approaches. The trade offers very little cap savings $663,106. He will provide comedy within the locker room and should continue to be a high character guy for our Atlanta Hawks.

2019-20: $18,606,556
2020-21: UFA

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#23 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Okay turner makes great sense as the bu pg. He will also play with Trae.

As a ball handler and playmaker I think you guys will find ET capable. He’s not gonna wow anyone but he’s capable of handling pg duties fairly well. His lack of a 3 ball is a huge liability and was especially a problem in stotts’s system but I think in the right situation he could be a solid contributor. Portland was about the worst team for his skill set and we never got past the ridiculous contract we handed him (I was pulling my hairs out when the news broke about the amount of his contract!) But maybe it’s good for him to get a clean slate. I hope ET can have a good year in Atlanta, in terms of character he’s the kind of veteran any young team would dream of having around imo
tomaHAWKslam
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#24 » by tomaHAWKslam » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:26 pm

Oden2 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:Okay turner makes great sense as the bu pg. He will also play with Trae.

As a ball handler and playmaker I think you guys will find ET capable. He’s not gonna wow anyone but he’s capable of handling pg duties fairly well. His lack of a 3 ball is a huge liability and was especially a problem in stotts’s system but I think in the right situation he could be a solid contributor. Portland was about the worst team for his skill set and we never got past the ridiculous contract we handed him (I was pulling my hairs out when the news broke about the amount of his contract!) But maybe it’s good for him to get a clean slate. I hope ET can have a good year in Atlanta, in terms of character he’s the kind of veteran any young team would dream of having around imo

How is he defensively at point guard?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#25 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 am

tomaHAWKslam wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

How is he defensively at point guard?

I never looked at his stats as a pg specifically but he was a more productive on the defensive end this last season than prior seasons
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 am

HMFFL wrote:Happy for Baze who will be playing for a contender in Portland. I look forward to him having personal and possibly team success.

I believe Evan Turner will have more trade value during the upcoming season as the deadline approaches. The trade offers very little cap savings $663,106. He will provide comedy within the locker room and should continue to be a high character guy for our Atlanta Hawks.

2019-20: $18,606,556
2020-21: UFA

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Pretty rock solid analysis of the deal. As I said on the GB, Turner's value in the lockerroom and the fact that he won't take minutes from young guys or complain about his role will be a big help for a youth rebuild. Turner was a big part of the Blazers culture-wise in really keeping the team close and always organizing team building stuff to keep things loose but professional. I think what he doesn't provide on the court, what he can do in the lockerroom and the experience he can pass on to Trae and the team will be low-key valuable. Plus he's a big EC to possibly flip mid-season.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#27 » by Sinobas » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:11 am

We Blazer fans hated Evan Turner. Not personally of course, but mostly because of how much he was paid and what a terrible shooter he was. Yeah...he can handle the ball, but his nickname was "Evan Turnover".

I'm glad to not see the same celebration here at Bazemore being traded.

The only good things I can say about him, is that he has a decent post up game and can take advantage of smaller guards, and he's a pretty good post defender.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 am

Sinobas wrote:We Blazer fans hated Evan Turner. Not personally of course, but mostly because of how much he was paid and what a terrible shooter he was. Yeah...he can handle the ball, but his nickname was "Evan Turnover".

I'm glad to not see the same celebration here at Bazemore being traded.

The only good things I can say about him, is that he has a decent post up game and can take advantage of smaller guards, and he's a pretty good post defender.

You'll enjoy Bazemore, the player and definitely the person. He loves Atlanta. Keep him healthy and he'll produce for you.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:34 am

Read on Twitter
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#30 » by Sinobas » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 am

Since Marijuana is legal in Oregon, and he's playing for the Blazers, his new nickname can be Blazemore.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#31 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 am

Bazemore will be good in Portland. He was good in Atlanta till the injury and when he came back, his explosiveness wasn't there and he is the type that needs his athletic ability.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,340

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 am

If Evan Turner can play backup PG for us, this could -- theoretically -- open up a spot on the wings for Vince Carter's return.

That's the only logical reason I can surmise for this.

It gives us size in the back court for a potential playoff run. And it clears out a spot in the SG/SF rotation...assuming we waive Jaylen Adams and move Evan Turner into his role.

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#33 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:32 am

We downgrade in talent but upgrade in versatility. Vivlamore suggests that this move is to make Turner the backup PG, makes me think that they may not target any real backup PG options in FA.

Baze was about to lose a lot of minutes to Huerter, Reddish, and Hunter (not to mention Allen Crabbe and Bembry are also there) so I'm glad they're doing right by him and moving him to a spot where he'll play and contend for a deep playoff run.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#34 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 am

Jamaaliver wrote:If Evan Turner can play backup PG for us, this could -- theoretically -- open up a spot on the wings for Vince Carter's return.

That's the only logical reason I can surmise for this.

It gives us size in the back court for a potential playoff run. And it clears out a spot in the SG/SF rotation...assuming we waive Jaylen Adams and move Evan Turner into his role.

I don't think they want Vince back per se. I think this allows them to go center if they feel Dedmon is getting paid or just want to get a younger or more athletic big. You still have 13 m to spend if/when Dedmon is renounced, and 14.5 m if you cut Adams. Rotations are set except center and they could target:

Jonas Valanciunas
WCS
Maxi Kleber
Enes Kanter
Lopez twins
JaVale McGee
Thomas Bryant
Christian Wood
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:17 am

ATL Boy wrote:Baze was about to lose a lot of minutes to Huerter, Reddish, and Hunter (not to mention Allen Crabbe and Bembry are also there) so I'm glad they're doing right by him and moving him to a spot where he'll play and contend for a deep playoff run.

100%

Getting traded is never easy. But going from a last place team to a Conf Finalist has to lessen the blow.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 pm

NBA trade grades: Who wins the Hawks-Blazers deal?

Atlanta Hawks: C-

It's a little more difficult to see the Hawks' motivation for making this trade, which doesn't save them much money (about $660,000) and seems to give them the weaker player. Perhaps the best explanation is their wing rotation had filled up a bit with the drafting of De'Andre Hunter and addition of Turner's former Portland teammate Allen Crabbe, whom Atlanta will get from Brooklyn in a deal for Taurean Prince that will be completed next month. (Crabbe's is yet another contract from the summer of 2016 that hasn't aged well.)

Turner could play some backup point guard for the Hawks, and perhaps he'll be happier with a reserve role on a building team than Bazemore -- who signed on back when Atlanta was still contending in the East. Still, those are minutes I'd probably rather give to a developing young player than Turner. As it stands, the Hawks' roster features a combination of young talent on the rise and veterans (Crabbe, Solomon Hill, Miles Plumlee and now Turner) in the final seasons of their contracts.
ESPN Insider

Grade the Trade: Blazers send Evan Turner to Hawks for Kent Bazemore

Atlanta Hawks: B-

First and foremost, losing Evan Turner is actually a big deal for the Portland Trail Blazers in both positive and negative ways. The negative way in which this impact the Blazers is their locker room. He’s one of the best teammates and locker room guys in the NBA. He helped keep that Blazers team connected at all times, and that’s not something you just easily replace.

The positives, though, outweigh the negatives.

Turner also didn’t really provide much of a positive effect when he was on the floor. In his three seasons in Portland, the Blazers were a much better team without him on the floor than with him on the floor. Turner isn’t an outside shooter in the slightest.

He flat-out can’t shoot...but the Hawks may have enough shooting on their roster that it doesn’t greatly affect them. What he does bring is a great locker room vibe, and some playmaking ability likely off the bench for Lloyd Pierce. As for the locker room presence, his quality as a teammate remains one of the highest in the league. No matter where he’s been, reviews have come back overwhelmingly positive for the culture he helps set.

It also provides the right example of how to approach being a professional teammate for the young guys like Young, Huerter, Hunter, Collins, and Reddish. He’ll pull them aside and make sure they’re shown the right path for how to do things.
The Athletic
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#37 » by kg01 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Givemthebird24 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Shooter Says wrote:Yeah I don't understand this one. Sure Kent had some shortcomings on the court, but he loved this team and this city.
I haven't followed Turner in years... Could it be a situation where we're bringing in a guy to help mentor Hunter and Reddish? Does Turner's play style match up better than Baze's?

Agree totally.

Perhaps Baze asked to be sent somewhere he could contribute. Not sure why that would be POR but whatever.

I figured we don’t owe Turner any minutes. We need to free up minutes for Cam, Huerter, and Hunter and Baze would have eaten up about 20 per game. I see Turner getting 2-5 minutes a night.

Turners the backup point now, I guess. No wang minutes for him. Makes (some) sense.
king01 :king:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#38 » by shakes0 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm

Good trade for both teams based on team needs. Two similar players in that they both suck, but at least now we have a back up PG.

As a diehard ATL fan for exactly one year I feel a lot of you are being blinded by Baze's contributions in the distant past. He's a great guy obviously, but in my one year of watching him play I thought he was friggen horrible. And absolutely no need for him going forward with Hunter, Reddish, Huerter and Bembry.

Very happy to see him traded. Not as happy as I was when we got rid of Predator Prince, but still pretty elated.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#39 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:21 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have something in both eyes..

:cry:

Be good Baze! :love:
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#40 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Portland is not a contender, but Kent will be able to get minutes in the playoffs.

I'm not a fan of Turner, he is the worst 3pt shooter in the league and his broken jump shot seems to be getting worst and worst every year.

Return to Atlanta Hawks