ImageImage

Can Chandler Parsons be an Asset to the Hawks IF (Big IF!) He can stay Healthy?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

pacehawk
Freshman
And1: 39

Can Chandler Parsons be an Asset to the Hawks IF (Big IF!) He can stay Healthy? 

Post#1 » by pacehawk » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:45 am

I know Parsons staying healthy is a Big IF but if he can stay relatively Healthy can he help the Hawks? Never even noticed him playing before but from some of the Highlights (And, I know, They are Highlights!) I have been watching today he does look pretty good! Seems to move and shoot (Think he had 10 or 11 3-Pointers in one game?) pretty well for a player of his size! From some of the rumors I have been reading I am not even sure he will be on the Hawks roster this coming season!
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Re: Can Chandler Parsons be an Asset to the Hawks IF (Big IF!) He can stay Healthy? 

Post#2 » by MaceCase » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:26 am

Can give spot minutes as a stretch 4 especially given that Bembry and Turner are on the second unit. Was really good friends with Lin in the past, been considered a good teammate and lockerroom presence even though his relationship with management was the exact opposite. That knee seems cooked though, if he enters a game for even 10 minutes he's likely to miss the next 8 with soreness. Rinse and repeat.

I've seen many contract year miracles in the past though so maybe he gives it his all and makes it as a rotational F in hopes he can squeeze another decent contract from some sucker GM. More likely his goal is to play vet-min roulette for the next 3-4 seasons after this one.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Re: Can Chandler Parsons be an Asset to the Hawks IF (Big IF!) He can stay Healthy? 

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:33 am

I have no expectations, so whatever we are able to squeeze out positively is a plus.
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#4 » by fuzzy1 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:59 pm

Don't mean to be a smartass, but when are the highlights from? He WAS a good player for the Rockets but he ain't done much in the past 5+ years, so I would echo Jay and not expect too much

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,899

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:47 pm

fuzzy1 wrote:Don't mean to be a smartass, but when are the highlights from? He WAS a good player for the Rockets but he ain't done much in the past 5+ years, so I would echo Jay and not expect too much

Spot on.
He has done absolutely nothing since Houston. With Dallas he sweet talked Mark Cuban and hoped for a long term extension that he ended up receiving from Memphis. Lucky him!

I don't have any expectations because he's not good at all.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#6 » by hawks_fan25 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:59 pm

I think he will provide what Justin Anderson provided last year. Mostly nothing in mop up duty and a few good games with some starts, but he will be one and done here and we will all forget he ever played with this group in five years.
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#7 » by hawks_fan25 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:01 pm

That said, I actually like Anderson and I’m hoping he lands on a contender and gets some quality minutes. A team like the Lakers who are thin, but will contend would be a good spot for him to show some bench value.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#8 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:49 am

I also go into this with no expectations. I'm grateful for the roster spot the trade opened up but that's about it.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#9 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:32 am

If Parsons is smart, he will reinvent himself into a 3pt shooting PF like Ryan Anderson or Ilyasova, their could be a market for him come trade deadline.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#10 » by raleigh » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:35 am

He'll be bought out by no later than the deadline.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,841

Post#11 » by DirtybirdGA » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:37 am

Not counting on it.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#12 » by dms269 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:07 pm

raleigh wrote:He'll be bought out by no later than the deadline.
Atlanta would have to love a free agent that they want to add in order to buy him out considering that is one reason why Memphis traded him (Parsons wanting his money).

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jul 5, 2019 2:43 pm

HMFFL wrote:
fuzzy1 wrote:Don't mean to be a smartass, but when are the highlights from? He WAS a good player for the Rockets but he ain't done much in the past 5+ years, so I would echo Jay and not expect too much

Spot on.
He has done absolutely nothing since Houston. With Dallas he sweet talked Mark Cuban and hoped for a long term extension that he ended up receiving from Memphis. Lucky him!

I don't have any expectations because he's not good at all.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Yes echo this. From another Mavs fan, the guy is garbage. he only cares about the fame, lifestyle, and women that come with being an NBA player, he has no heart or care for the game itself.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#14 » by graymule » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:25 pm

:D

He's a Hawk, therefore he's good!

We swapped 2 dnp for one dnp. Give the guy a chance to either awaken his talents or die on the pine. Which will he do?
I can see him really trying to live up, somewhat, to his contract. This is his final year on the big $$$ payoff.

Yes, a healthy CP can become a very nice asset. It would be great for him and for Atlanta...

:nod:
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#15 » by raleigh » Fri Jul 5, 2019 8:55 pm

dms269 wrote:Atlanta would have to love a free agent that they want to add in order to buy him out considering that is one reason why Memphis traded him (Parsons wanting his money).

Or just want to have a younger player with actual upside instead. See Anthony, Carmelo.

The only reason I could see them hold onto Parsons is if they want to complete a blockbuster trade in-season.
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Chandler Parsons 

Post#16 » by Najee12 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:15 am

Here is why expecting anything from Chandler Parsons on the basketball court is unrealistic:

viewtopic.php?p=71652154#p71652154
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#17 » by Ice Trae » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:28 am

He's probably goona get bought out after all-star break so I wouldn't expect much from him.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Post#18 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:38 pm

And here we go:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Is Parsons done as a player? From some of the articles earlier when we acquired his contract there seemed to be a thought that he would play some games. Given that nobody is talking about him getting healthy, that seems to have been wishful thinking, right? — Robert H.

I had reported at the time the Hawks made the trade that it was uncertain just how much Parsons actually would play for the team. That hasn’t changed even though he’s healthy now.

In theory, Parsons could provide the Hawks spacing and shooting that they certainly need, but it’s clear that he’s pretty much a last-resort option for head coach Lloyd Pierce.

As far as his being “done” as a player, I would say that he doesn’t have much value at this point in his career.
The Athletic

Return to Atlanta Hawks