ImageImage

Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,180
And1: 8,738
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#141 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:37 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 40,748
And1: 2,545
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#142 » by HMFFL » Sun Jun 7, 2020 6:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
Amazing numbers and we add more weapons for him off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,180
And1: 8,738
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#143 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,592
And1: 7,638
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#144 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 pm

This is hot.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,720
And1: 455
Joined: Jun 13, 2007
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#145 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Could there be an easier negotiating job and easier money than negotiating Trae's nearly-lock-certain extension?

Read on Twitter


Salary? Max. Check.

Years? Max. Check.

Well, I suppose there's always the prospect of a no-trade clause, and a variety of bonuses.
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,592
And1: 7,638
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#146 » by jayu70 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,592
And1: 7,638
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#147 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 40,748
And1: 2,545
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#148 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
LOL


Calipari sat in our living room and told him, ‘If you want to be a lottery pick, you better come to Kentucky.’ 

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,592
And1: 7,638
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#149 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,592
And1: 7,638
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#150 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,180
And1: 8,738
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#151 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:41 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter



Is that supposed to be Trae?

Image
shakes0
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,896
And1: 2,069
Joined: Jul 14, 2017
Location: Chicago
       

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#152 » by shakes0 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:25 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20



I love how they got the shoes right. He wore those light blue and red shoes most of the year.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,180
And1: 8,738
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#153 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 7, 2020 11:39 pm

Ranking NBA's Top 15 Point Guards This Season

8. Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

Image

Trae Young's detractors needn't reach deep into the bag to find their rebuke: If he's this good, if he's already a top-25 player, why aren't the Atlanta Hawks better? It's a fair question. And Young's defense alone might provide the answer.

Catch-all metrics portray him as a certifiable nonfactor at the less glamorous end. He is dead-last in ESPN's defensive real plus-minus and NBA Shot Charts' luck-adjusted defensive regularized adjusted plus-minus. And he ranks third-to-last, ahead of just Bradley Beal and Darius Garland, in NBA Math's defensive points saved.

Non-defenders can be tricky cornerstones. They complicate attempts to build contenders. The breadth of Young's offense does not excuse his transgressions at the other end. But it comes pretty damn close.

Young's ultra-deep pull-up threes warp entire defenses. Planning for someone who's willing to fire away just inside the timeline is a migraine-and-a-half. Young exacerbates the defense's dilemma by actually making those shots. He's converting 35.8 percent of his looks from 29 feet and out.

A lack of size (6'1") has not hindered his capacity to make plays inside the arc. He has perfected the arc and timing of his floaters and ranks in the 92nd percentile of finishing around the rim. His 9.3 assists per game are not the byproduct of how much time he spends on the ball but an accurate reflection of his vision. He beams one-handed dimes on the move before it's even clear he's picked up his dribble, confuses defenders by telegraphing one pass but throwing another and threads the needle against double-teams he's not supposed to see over.

Atlanta's offense is not elite with Young on the floor (54th percentile), but it's subject to a monster drop-off when he sits—an 11.8-point-per-100-possessions plunge that ranks as the third-largest in the league among every player who has cleared 500 minutes.

Put a more established supporting cast around Young and the wins and losses should take care of themselves. He's averaging 29.6 points and 9.3 assists with a 59.5 true shooting percentage as the all-everything of an offense light on polished talent. Adding another ball-handler alone would go a long way, granting him an actual chance to work as a spot-up and motion shooter.

In the meantime, he cannot be too harshly penalized for the constraints under which he plays. He has outperformed the degree of difficulty attached to his role. So few players have ever balanced his volume with this efficiency—10 in league history, to be more exact: Adrian Dantley (four times); James Harden (four times); Michael Jordan (three times); Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (two times); Kevin Durant (two times); Larry Bird, Stephen Curry, LeBron James, Karl Malone and Bob McAdoo.
Bleacher Report
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,180
And1: 8,738
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#154 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:54 pm

Just another day, another average highlight for Young Trae

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,180
And1: 8,738
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#155 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Seth Partnow wrote:...there is little doubt that [Trae Young’s] an engine who can drive an offense. I have had and continue to have questions about the relative degree of difficulty of Young’s statistical accumulation. That said, on some level the raw production speaks for itself:

Image

That’s solid company in terms of efficient, high-volume scoring.
The Athletic
myrak433
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,401
And1: 23
Joined: Jul 10, 2010

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#156 » by myrak433 » Yesterday 12:24 pm

jayu70 wrote:This is hot.


this video seems to be saying that Trae needs better teammates. that is what I have been saying.
IGNITE.....turning energy into income.

http://myrak43.igniteinc.biz
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 10,592
And1: 7,638
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#157 » by jayu70 » Yesterday 4:16 pm

myrak433 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:This is hot.


this video seems to be saying that Trae needs better teammates. that is what I have been saying.

Show me someone who has said he doesn't need better teammates.
Better than: Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Damian Jones, DeAndre Bembry, Alex Len, Jabari Parker.
We've already upgraded Jone and Len to Capela and Dedmon.
Evan Turner to Teague (remains to be seen if he'll be back).
myrak433
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,401
And1: 23
Joined: Jul 10, 2010

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#158 » by myrak433 » Yesterday 4:37 pm

jayu70 wrote:
myrak433 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:This is hot.


this video seems to be saying that Trae needs better teammates. that is what I have been saying.

Show me someone who has said he doesn't need better teammates.
Better than: Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Damian Jones, DeAndre Bembry, Alex Len, Jabari Parker.
We've already upgraded Jone and Len to Capela and Dedmon.
Evan Turner to Teague (remains to be seen if he'll be back).


I like the Capela move and Dedmon as a backup. and Teague is nice. But that still doesn't move the needle enough for me to say we should stand pat. I get it, it seems most do not want to part with Hunter (because he was drafted 4th) maybe Heurter (because he showed some flashes his rookie season) though he regressed his 2nd year and at 21 years old he is hurt to much for my liking. I am only high on Cam. I am high on Collins, I just feel if we upgrade the team offense and have another guy that is a elite play maker we could replace Collins with a less talented player and would be a better team. I get it you all don't feel the same way. Different mindsets. But what I do not understand is when I suggested Derozan who we would not have to trade anyone for..... you all did not like that either. Help me understand that logic. And please don't talk fit and/or defense, because the truth of the matter is you don't really know if they would fit to add Derozan could come off the bench as the sixth man and have free rain to just score.
IGNITE.....turning energy into income.

http://myrak43.igniteinc.biz
Ball4life32
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,884
And1: 1,420
Joined: Dec 05, 2013

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#159 » by Ball4life32 » Yesterday 5:29 pm

myrak433 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
myrak433 wrote:
this video seems to be saying that Trae needs better teammates. that is what I have been saying.

Show me someone who has said he doesn't need better teammates.
Better than: Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Damian Jones, DeAndre Bembry, Alex Len, Jabari Parker.
We've already upgraded Jone and Len to Capela and Dedmon.
Evan Turner to Teague (remains to be seen if he'll be back).


I like the Capela move and Dedmon as a backup. and Teague is nice. But that still doesn't move the needle enough for me to say we should stand pat. I get it, it seems most do not want to part with Hunter (because he was drafted 4th) maybe Heurter (because he showed some flashes his rookie season) though he regressed his 2nd year and at 21 years old he is hurt to much for my liking. I am only high on Cam. I am high on Collins, I just feel if we upgrade the team offense and have another guy that is a elite play maker we could replace Collins with a less talented player and would be a better team. I get it you all don't feel the same way. Different mindsets. But what I do not understand is when I suggested Derozan who we would not have to trade anyone for..... you all did not like that either. Help me understand that logic. And please don't talk fit and/or defense, because the truth of the matter is you don't really know if they would fit to add Derozan could come off the bench as the sixth man and have free rain to just score.

Man you are literally all over the place. :noway: Huerter didn’t regress....his stats/advance stats are up in almost every category. He missed preseason & was on min restriction for the first 25% of the season which affected his stats. There are all stars that weren’t in the NBA yet at 21 years old & you want to give up on him because he didn’t progress the way you wanted that young? And even though he has been hurt, he hasn’t missed much game time.....

Same with Hunter. He was inconsistent but played much in the 2nd half. His value could go up a lot if he continues that into his 2nd season....so again why sell low especially after his rookie season?

We have a top 5 offense when Trae & Collins are on the court. Why do you keep saying improve the offense while trading Collins? That doesn’t improve the offense....

Also using your same logic you don’t know how good this team could be with Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, Capela + draft pick because they haven’t played together yet. So that doesn’t help your argument.

Derozan can’t shoot 3’s or defend. A SG that cant/doesn’t shoot + defend isn’t a good fit next to Trae.
Ball4life32
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,884
And1: 1,420
Joined: Dec 05, 2013

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#160 » by Ball4life32 » Yesterday 5:42 pm

TS% veterans on the team last year -

Crabbe .482
Carter .470
Turner .424
Dedmon .463
Teague .512
Parker .565
Bembry .500

Jones & Len had decent TS% (because of mostly dunks) but they were both a big negative on the court. Parker slightly above average but still a big negative on the court (especially horrible defensively)

Hawks worst 3 pt % in the nba despite all the young guys (except Reddish) way above that clip. And Reddish was 40+% from 3 in his last 20+ games. The problem was mostly the veterans not the young guys...that’s why I don’t want to trade them barring an overpay (unlikely)

Return to Atlanta Hawks