ImageImage

Could the Atlanta Hawks Land Karl-Anthony Towns?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Re: Could the Atlanta Hawks Land Karl-Anthony Towns? 

Post#21 » by shakes0 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
shakes0 wrote:I want nothing to do with him. If we are going to commit to building around Trae there are very specific pieces that are going to be needed. The biggest piece is a rim protector. Trae + KAT would never be a winning combination.

Definitely some flaws in a KAT/Trae pairing.

We could be more adequately prepared for it had we drafted differently.

Jaxson Hayes or Brandon Clarke both seem like ideal front court partners next to KAT.

2 guys who I wanted. Seems dumb to not draft those guys just because we had Collins already. Both those guys would've been perfect for us.

As great as Trae is, he severely limits the options for how to build going forward. TS needs to be mindful of that when he starts putting pieces around Trae. They have to be perfect fits. KAT is not a perfect fit.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:It’s just a matter of time before he requests a way out of there...

Read on Twitter
I agree.
I don't believe he will be moved at the deadline so I expect talks to begin this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#23 » by azuresou1 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:01 pm

Trae/KAT is an ugly defensive fit, but at the same time they're both so incredibly offensively talented and fit so perfectly together that I think we'd be successful nonetheless. This is especially true if we can retain John Collins, who also meshes perfectly with both of them.

Honestly a Trae/KAT/JC core with any two reasonable starting wings might literally break the 120 ORTG ceiling.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:27 pm

Thought I can't get out of my head...

Clint Capela isn't a perfect fit next to John Collins in the front court.

But Capela is possibly the ideal player to pair next to KAT.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Thought I can't get out of my head...

Uuuummmm.....k......but how does that help us?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:10 pm

jayu70 wrote:

Swapping Collins and our 1st rounder this year for KAT (the best offensive Center in the league) and pairing him with the best offensive PG in the league and next to a defensive C/PF in Capela makes us a contender with all major pieces under team control for years to come.

I thought that was the goal...acquiring elite talent and surrounding them with complementary pieces to make us a contender.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#27 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Swapping Collins and our 1st rounder this year for KAT (the best offensive Center in the league) and pairing him with the best offensive PG in the league and next to a defensive C/PF in Capela makes us a contender with all major pieces under team control for years to come.

I thought that was the goal...acquiring elite talent and surrounding them with complementary pieces to make us a contender.

Oh, a dream.
KAT just got his buddy DLo in Minny...pray tell why Minny would do this in the offseason?
Minnesota Timberwolves star center Karl-Anthony Towns said the team's blockbuster acquisition of guard D'Angelo Russell from the Golden State Warriors ahead of Thursday's NBAtrade deadline gives him a "big incentive" to remain with the organization for the long haul. 

Towns told Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic he was surprised the Wolves were able to land Russell, one of his best friends.

"I'd be lying if I told you I thought it was possible," he said. "I'm shocked like everybody else. We've been putting it into the universe since Day 1. We've never been shy about saying it in the media or interviews or wherever it may be. If you want something to happen, you have to keep believing and keep saying it to the universe and repeating it and one day the universe will hear it and give you your wish."

"I think with D-Lo here, it's always going to be a big incentive for me to want to stay," Towns said. "D-Lo is a big part of everything the vision is. D-Lo always knows he's going to be wanted because his brother is here with him and he always knows he's going to have his back covered because I'm always going to be there for him."

Per Bleacher Report.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:28 pm

jayu70 wrote:KAT just got his buddy DLo in Minny...pray tell why Minny would do this in the offseason?

:o

KAT's been in a losing situation in Minnesota for half a decade. I'm not sure D'Angelo Russell is the cure to fix that franchise's many, many flaws.

Whether it's this summer, or the trade deadline, or the 2021 off-season, it seems almost inevitable they will part ways.

Like Minny did with Kevin Love.

Like Minny did with Kevin Garnett.

Whenever that happens, we seem likely to have the trade pieces and personnel to take advantage.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#29 » by kg01 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:04 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:KAT just got his buddy DLo in Minny...pray tell why Minny would do this in the offseason?

:o

KAT's been in a losing situation in Minnesota for half a decade. I'm not sure D'Angelo Russell is the cure to fix that franchise's many, many flaws.

Whether it's this summer, or the trade deadline, or the 2021 off-season, it seems almost inevitable they will part ways.

Like Minny did with Kevin Love.

Like Minny did with Kevin Garnett.

Whenever that happens, we seem likely to have the trade pieces and personnel to take advantage.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Towns doesn't care about winning. He certainly does care about playing with his buddies. His bestie just got acquired by MIN. Therefore, Towns is long for Minnesota.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 6:08 pm

kg01 wrote:Towns doesn't care about winning. He certainly does care about playing with his buddies. His bestie just got acquired by MIN. Therefore, Towns is long for Minnesota.

:dontknow:

Definitely a possibility. And T-Wolves leadership is definitely banking on KAT being willing to endure losing, irrelevance and cold Minnesota winters just to play alongside his good friend.

I remain skeptical.

Pre-trade comments:

Code: Select all

“I’ve been losing for a long time,” Towns said. “I’m not trying to do that (expletive) anymore. So every possession means a lot. You obviously see my patience running low with a lot of things. There’s no excuses. We gotta get it done.”
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#31 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:03 pm

Playing with best friends doesn't always seem to work. Marbury and Kevin Garnett come to mind when I think about Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
kg01
General Manager

Post#32 » by kg01 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Towns doesn't care about winning. He certainly does care about playing with his buddies. His bestie just got acquired by MIN. Therefore, Towns is long for Minnesota.

:dontknow:

Definitely a possibility. And T-Wolves leadership is definitely banking on KAT being willing to endure losing, irrelevance and cold Minnesota winters just to play alongside his good friend.

I remain skeptical.

Pre-trade comments:

Code: Select all

“I’ve been losing for a long time,” Towns said. “I’m not trying to do that (expletive) anymore. So every possession means a lot. You obviously see my patience running low with a lot of things. There’s no excuses. We gotta get it done.”

Full disclosure, I think he's a major reason why they lose so effectively. So him acting like he suddenly now wants to win rings hollow with me.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:26 pm

^Noted. I'll pay closer attention.
kg01
General Manager

Post#34 » by kg01 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Noted. I'll pay closer attention.

Fuller disclosure: There are folks who think I'm overly hard on him so take it all with a grain of salt. I just think he's too one-sided a player and has been questionable toughness-wise. Seemed to turn into Billy BadA** once Jimi Butler's key fob stopped working in Minnesota.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:18 am

25 bold predictions for the 2020-21 NBA season

25. Karl-Anthony Towns will be the next unhappy superstar to demand a trade

Part of me feels bad for the T'Wolves - they're trying to build a winning team in Minnesota, but they're going to suck again this season because the West is so loaded. Part of me doesn't feel bad for the T'Wolves at all though. Whether it's the Jimmy Butler trade with Philly that yielded them Dario Saric, Robert Covington, Jerryd Bayless, and a second-round pick (that's literally it) or the D'Angelo Russell trade where they had to give up the aforementioned first-round pick or the decision to draft a risky no. 1 overall pick in Anthony Edwards over trading down and netting more assets (like, say, a 2021 first-round draft pick?) they can't help themselves from making stupid decisions. All this will lead to their franchise player, Karl-Anthony Towns, a superstar talent with a role player's personality, demanding a trade at the deadline or, at the latest, early next offseason. All the teams that saved up assets to make a run at Giannis will shift their strategy to KAT.
Yardbarker
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 am

If the John Collins extension doesn't work out...there is an obvious trade package to pursue.

And KAT's deep shooting would work well with Capela and De'Andre Hunter's defense.

Predicting the Next Wave of NBA Stars to Demand a Trade

Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota Timberwolves

The clock is perpetually ticking for the Minnesota Timberwolves. It did with Kevin Garnett. It did with Kevin Love. And now it's doing it again with Karl-Anthony Towns.

Sure, he's only in the second season of a five-year max contract. And yes, the Timberwolves probably scored some brownie points for acquiring his close friend and 2015 draft classmate D'Angelo Russell.

But Towns has a single playoff trip to show for his first five seasons, and that was effectively keyed by a player who forced his way out of the Gopher State shortly thereafter (Jimmy Butler). Kemba Walker had more playoff appearances through his first five seasons with the Charlotte Bobcats-turned-Hornets; his team went 28-120 in his first two years.

Winning is the Wolves' best hope for keeping KAT happy. They haven't done nearly enough of it so far, and that isn't guaranteed to change.

Towns and Russell could be a comedy duo on the defensive end. Minnesota wagered $60 million on what was essentially a good month from Malik Beasley. It potentially reached for Jarrett Culver in 2019 and may have done the same with 2020's top pick, Anthony Edwards.

None of this can look too good for Towns, who a notable player told an agent "is as good as gone" from Minnesota, per SKOR North's Darren Wolfson.

Towns, an offensive wrecking ball who can shoot, pass and score out of the post, would be an easy fit on any roster. The New Jersey native should hold particular appeal to the New York Knicks, who are now headed by his former agent, Leon Rose.

The Wolves better win big and win fast.
Bleacher Report
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#37 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:20 pm

Kat is definately intiguing. Hate the D thoughn but his O gives a good team a big boost on a nightly basis.

What would we offer? I'm thinking something like JC / Snell / Bruno and some a couple FRP...? Maybe Cap instead of JC, maybe JC and move Cap for a PF...?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#38 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Rather have Kat or Gobert?
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#39 » by D21 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:45 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Rather have Kat or Gobert?

KAT could improve the offense, but it would need a proof first that ATL defense is better with the other guys like Clint. It's a bit of a gamble for now.
That's why I'd prefer Gobert. Instant improvement in defense, and the guy has a 130 OffRtg per Bballref. He only gets 8 shots per game with UTA. Put him with the Hawks and he can get 12-13 shots easily with Trae and Rondo. They would find him easily

Gobert impact in this team is way more sure than for a lot of other players. The main thing to keep would be that all other players can shot 3pts around him. Ideally, a trade for him without moving John would be a dream, but it won't happen... unless Gallo was signed that high to have a big contract to insert in any trade offer for a Max player, and that the main part would be Clint+Gallo for Gobert, filling with future picks, but UTA would certain ask at least one of the young wing players
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 am

<duplicate>

Return to Atlanta Hawks