ImageImage

Detroit and Atlanta have engaged in talks on a trade centered on Andre Drummond

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Re: Detroit and Atlanta have engaged in talks on a trade centered on Andre Drummond 

Post#41 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 10:47 pm

Getting or not getting Drum is not a big deal, because I think Wiseman will be in play for the Hawks this June.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Re: Detroit and Atlanta have engaged in talks on a trade centered on Andre Drummond 

Post#42 » by D21 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 5:26 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Getting or not getting Drum is not a big deal, because I think Wiseman will be in play for the Hawks this June.

I'm not sure I would call it a no-big deal.
Imagine Drummond is motivated by this change, he plays hard, help ATL winning way more games, which is already doable if everybody stay healthy, and ATL finish near a playoffs spot or make the palyoffs :
we can say goodbye to Wiseman, and more team would be after Drummond this summer if he chooses to not use his PO.

Potential result : you loose odds of getting a high pick, and he walk for nothing.
That's why I don't want to give any good pick for a guy like Drummond that has a contract expiring in 2020, or even in 2021 if he takes his PO.
We will only entering 2020 or 2021 summers with less picks than we should had. If the goal is to keep flexibility for 2021, no need to loose assets for nothing before that
Ghost999
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#43 » by Ghost999 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:20 pm

Agreed, we should only trade for him if he commits to a longer term deal. Anyone hear anything more about this or any other moves?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#44 » by kg01 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:34 pm

We're gonna start winning more games just off what's already here. Addition by subtraction(of Jones, Turner, Crabbe, etc.)

Drummond doesn't impact that (which, incidentally, is why we shouldn't trade for him).
king01 :king:
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#45 » by SamFlow » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:45 pm

Drummond just has to be near alphas. He also needs to man up and grow up.

I believe he will. Just not for my Detroit club.

Getting traded is what he needs. Then having to resign for less than the max, because nobody will offer him the max.
I think that is what will happen.
BigDaddyJungle
kg01
General Manager

Post#46 » by kg01 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:30 pm

SamFlow wrote:Drummond just has to be near alphas. He also needs to man up and grow up.

Getting traded is what he needs. Then having to resign for less than the max, because nobody will offer him the max.

How's Drummond defensively?

Give it to me straight, doc.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,963

Post#47 » by shakes0 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:31 pm

SamFlow wrote:Drummond just has to be near alphas. He also needs to man up and grow up.

sounds like exactly the kind of player we don't need.

We don't have too many alpha's and we need a vet who is already grown up.

I feel this would be a really stupid move by ATL.
kg01
General Manager

Post#48 » by kg01 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:41 pm

shakes0 wrote:

sounds like exactly the kind of player we don't need.

We don't have too many alpha's and we need a vet who is already grown up.

I feel this would be a really stupid move by ATL.

The saving grace is, per reports, the hawks were the only team with an actual offer on the table. Reading between the lines, that tells me it was a lowball offer (otherwise DET would've taken it, right?). That also tells me DET leaked this report, to drum up offers from other teams and drive the hawks' offer up.

Just me reading tea leaves but I think that's plausible.

I'm ok with Parson and a 2nd for a rental of Drummond as long as we don't re-sign him. If we start putting 1sts on the table, that tells me we plan on re-signing him, which tells me we're making a big mistake.
Shooter Says
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#49 » by Shooter Says » Mon Jan 6, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm completely on board for us making this trade as long as we don't give up any of our "core 5" or our own first round pick.

Center is our biggest weakness, by far. Trading now for Drummond gives you half a season to see how he fits in with Trae & Co. for little to no risk. If he doesn't fit, don't resign him and we're pretty much in the same position we are now (hopefully only out a couple second rounders or the BKN pick). Look at the FA centers who are available this off season or next and tell me who'd you rather have at Center? MAYBE Adams or all in for Wiseman in the draft?

Drummond is a top 5 Center already - imagine what he could do with Trae in the PnR. I think it's a low risk move to bring him in now so you can see how he fits with what we have. If it's a great fit - perfect, resign him. If it's a bad fit - we're still probably not winning many more games.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,963

Post#50 » by shakes0 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 8:52 pm

agreed. I'd do a SRP just to see how he fits in for a year. But, even that is with hesitation since there are usually several players available in the second round who can help this team.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#51 » by DetroitPistons » Mon Jan 6, 2020 10:35 pm

kg01 wrote:

Drummond is good defensively. He used to be bad a couple years ago but he has improved a lot. He is averaging almost 2 blocks and 2 steals as well. Anyone saying he is bad defensively just hasn't been paying attention for awhile. The biggest knock on Drummond is that sometimes he tries to do to much on offense and ends up turning it over and bricking a shot or something. He is vastly underrated and is the perfect guy for the Hawks. He fits exactly what you need, is just now entering his prime, and is still plenty young enough to be part of your core too. Also, he is apparently good friends with Trae and is not a diva about going to big market cities. You guys will be able to resign him very easily imo and for about 20-25mil from some sources. A lot of the reasons for pausing on Drummond are not true.

Turner, Reddish, BKN pick for Drummond is fair
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#52 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 11:02 pm

I can't see Reddish being included. Especially if the BKN pick is also included.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#53 » by Radioblacktive1 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 11:16 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Drummond is good defensively. He used to be bad a couple years ago but he has improved a lot. He is averaging almost 2 blocks and 2 steals as well. Anyone saying he is bad defensively just hasn't been paying attention for awhile. The biggest knock on Drummond is that sometimes he tries to do to much on offense and ends up turning it over and bricking a shot or something. He is vastly underrated and is the perfect guy for the Hawks. He fits exactly what you need, is just now entering his prime, and is still plenty young enough to be part of your core too. Also, he is apparently good friends with Trae and is not a diva about going to big market cities. You guys will be able to resign him very easily imo and for about 20-25mil from some sources. A lot of the reasons for pausing on Drummond are not true.

I got an even better idea: how about we keep Reddish...that’s it. That’s the idea.

Look I get where you’re coming from but there is nothing at all keeping Drummond from walking. It wouldn’t make sense to give you a 1st AND a prospect we just drafted when there’s a good chance we end up with nothing at all. We give you guys the chance for a nice prospect with the pick we give you. That’s more fair.
Shooter Says
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#54 » by Shooter Says » Mon Jan 6, 2020 11:17 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Good analysis on Drummond! I agree with what you said about how he would fit with Trae and the Hawks. I think your expectations for what the compensation will look like are a little high though, as he's most likely opting out in 4 months. Also, I don't expect that there are many teams who will be lining up that can make the salaries work and offer a mid 1st like we can. I expect it to be either:

Drummond, Snell for expiring contracts

or

Drummond for expiring + BKN pick.

No way you get the recent 10th overall pick + what's likely pick 15 - 20 this year for someone who's going to be a FA.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#55 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 11:50 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
kg01 wrote:

No it's not. Drummond is a FA and can leave if he chooses, Hawks are still rebuilding and shouldn't trade that many assets for a FA that won't even help us make the playoffs this year.
Reddish is the completion of the Trae/Luka trade - Hawks won't move him 32 games into his rookie season.

Honestly, if he's good friends with Trae, I'd just stand pat and have Trae recruit him in the offseason.

Here's our worse case scenario where we give up Reddish and The BKN pick - Drummond comes in, helps us win some more games reduce our lottery position, he decides that Atlanta isn't for him and leaves to Charlotte. Hawks now have a worse lottery pick, no BKN pick, no Reddish.

Total pass for me.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#56 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Jan 7, 2020 12:08 am

No Reddish. No Deal. I hope the Pistons front office feels the same way. I would love to resign him for 20mil if that is all the market is offering.
kg01
General Manager

Post#57 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 12:12 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Thanks for the input re. his defense.

That offer is insane. Parsons and a 2nd, maybe 2, or we'll just sign him in a few months.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 7, 2020 12:19 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#59 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 12:30 am

DetroitPistons wrote:No Reddish. No Deal. I hope the Pistons front office feels the same way. I would love to resign him for 20mil if that is all the market is offering.

Good Luck to y'all.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#60 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 7, 2020 12:57 am

DetroitPistons wrote:No Reddish. No Deal. I hope the Pistons front office feels the same way. I would love to resign him for 20mil if that is all the market is offering.
Your offer doesn't seem very reasonable considering Detroit seems desperate to move him. Reddish and our Brooklyn pick? I don't believe our front office includes Reddish.

Drum will receive more than 20m per season this off-season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks