ImageImage

Detroit and Atlanta have engaged in talks on a trade centered on Andre Drummond

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,002

Re: Detroit and Atlanta have engaged in talks on a trade centered on Andre Drummond 

Post#61 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 7, 2020 12:58 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
I like our chances...haha
Seriously, I hope Boston or Toronto don't end up with him. If we don't trade for him I hope someone in the Western Conference does. LAC would be an excellent fit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Re: Detroit and Atlanta have engaged in talks on a trade centered on Andre Drummond 

Post#62 » by D21 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:21 am

The only thing that I like in this trade would be the fact that he has a player option, and that if he likes to play here and fits the team by improving defense and rebounding AND that it translates to W, then he could refuse his PO, become a free agent, but could re-sign here. If he walks for nothing, it's better in 2020 than in 2021

Now, we know that we won't have good picks in the future seasons if the team improves , so it may be the last season to get ones, that's why I wouldn't give any first round picks from this year. A future first from 2021 or 2022 maybe
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#63 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:40 am

HMFFL wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:No Reddish. No Deal. I hope the Pistons front office feels the same way. I would love to resign him for 20mil if that is all the market is offering.
Your offer doesn't seem very reasonable considering Detroit seems desperate to move him. Reddish and our Brooklyn pick? I don't believe our front office includes Reddish.

Drum will receive more than 20m per season this off-season.

We are not desperate at all. As I said before, he is plenty young enough to be part of a rebuild. We would probably be shopping Griffin right now instead but he has been crippled this year. One source said he believes Drummond will resign between 20 and 25 mil per year. Like I said, most of your fears about Drummond are not true.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,491

Post#64 » by dms269 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:06 am

Asking for Reddish and a frp is completely unreasonable for an expiring contract like Drummond. The general consensus from fans of other teams is that the Brooklyn first and.expirings is fair.

If the cost is that high than Atlanta would be much smarter to wait for him to opt out and let Trae recruit him in the offseason. Yes he has said he wants to bring a title to Detroit and yada yada yada...but if the money is the same why not go to a team with a better future?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by D21 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:05 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:No Reddish. No Deal. I hope the Pistons front office feels the same way. I would love to resign him for 20mil if that is all the market is offering.
Your offer doesn't seem very reasonable considering Detroit seems desperate to move him. Reddish and our Brooklyn pick? I don't believe our front office includes Reddish.

We are not desperate at all. As I said before, he is plenty young enough to be part of a rebuild. We would probably be shopping Griffin right now instead but he has been crippled this year. One source said he believes Drummond will resign between 20 and 25 mil per year. Like I said, most of your fears about Drummond are not true.

It's completely understandable... it's just that his contractual situation doesn't allow ATL to trade for a good first round pick because he can play here three months and say goodbye. That's all.
If he had 3 or 4 years left on his contract, the offer would be very different
In the end, it's best for ATL to wait, and it's best for DET to wait ;-)
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#66 » by Worst_to_First » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:02 pm

Do you guys think that the rumors that have floated on Drummond or Steven Adams in any way indicate that the Hawks are not that high at all with Wiseman in the upcoming draft?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#67 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:05 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:Do you guys think that the rumors that have floated on Drummond or Steven Adams in any way indicate that the Hawks are not that high at all with Wiseman in the upcoming draft?

I think the Hawks are looking to make the playoffs next season, so even if they select Wiseman I'm thinking they are still looking for a veteran starter.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#68 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:09 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:Do you guys think that the rumors that have floated on Drummond or Steven Adams in any way indicate that the Hawks are not that high at all with Wiseman in the upcoming draft?

Agree with jayu. Probably not a sign that they're not high on him. More like a sign that they don't want to rely on him from day 1 if they do draft him.
king01 :king:
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#69 » by King Ken » Tue Jan 7, 2020 5:24 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

But you are on own sub, demanding a player who we aren't trading under any circumstances for this type of player.

Also demanding a pick we aren't considering trading as well.

You would be lucky to get a mid 1st for Drummond who is expiring. I personally think you should just trade him to Dallas for their GS 2nd rounder and expirings. I don't believe Atlanta can or will meet your GM irl demands.

He is too expensive honestly.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#70 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:42 pm

Trading valuefor an expiring on this team… is just stupid. Hawks are in line for a top pick and someone wants to bring in an expiring ADrum. It can only be pure desperation and/or stupidity.

I'd give an expiring for him. Since that won't happen, Nothing to see here
jayu70
RealGM

Post#71 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter

An NBA executive told The Athletic that he believes a trade for Drummond doesn’t make much sense for the Hawks and smells like panic from the ownership group in an attempt to not finish with the league’s worst record, which is where Atlanta sits right now, and to try to eliminate some of the stink with the way this season has started.

Before the season began, owner Tony Ressler spoke with a few reporters about the state of the franchise and how this past offseason was as peaceful as it could have been because he had learned from some of his previous mistakes while in charge of the team, like bringing in Dwight Howard. But one quote that was telling with the Hawks now involved with Drummond is how fans are inherently impatient while waiting for success.

“I haven’t met a fan who is less patient than me,” Ressler said in October. “Now, I’m also trying to take the advice of people. I do think I understand basketball and understand the NBA, but building a team and trying to build a contender and being patient in the process is not my forte, and I am desperately trying — and I think successfully — listening to others who are better at it than I am.”

A trade for Drummond would be Ressler and the Hawks’ front office exhibiting impatience. If the Hawks really wanted him, they have the cap space to offer him a max contract this summer after Drummond declines his $28.6 million player option for next season, which is expected to happen. In theory, the Hawks present one of the best situations Drummond could find himself in next season because of the money they could offer, and he’d have the ability to thrive in the pick-and-roll with Trae Young, who’s one of the NBA’s best passers. Because of the $70-plus million in cap space the Hawks are projected to have this summer, Drummond even could recommend another free agent he would want to play with to the front office to sweeten the deal.

The Hawks have the expiring contracts to offer the Pistons to match Drummond’s salary in a trade. Chandler Parsons’ $25 million salary alone would satisfy the money Atlanta would need to send Detroit in exchange for Drummond’s $27 million salary. Brooklyn’s lottery-protected first-round pick, which Atlanta owns, likely would be the main asset attached to Parsons. The Hawks would have to have some verbal agreement with Drummond and his representation in place that he will re-sign with the team this summer if assets like a first-round pick are going to be traded for a half-season of his services.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#72 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#73 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:26 pm

Once you decide to rebuild the absolute worse thing to do is not see it through
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by D21 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:02 pm

jayu70 wrote:
“I haven’t met a fan who is less patient than me,” Ressler said in October. “Now, I’m also trying to take the advice of people. I do think I understand basketball and understand the NBA, but building a team and trying to build a contender and being patient in the process is not my forte, and I am desperately trying — and I think successfully — listening to others who are better at it than I am.”

...The Hawks would have to have some verbal agreement with Drummond and his representation in place that he will re-sign with the team this summer if assets like a first-round pick are going to be traded for a half-season of his services.[/b]

Good, everybody, from young players to Ressler, has to be patient, or they will ruin the rebuild. It's not like it will continue during four seasons, it's just one more year max, and it's nothing in their career compared to playing several years as contender later
jayu70
RealGM

Post#75 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 11:49 pm

I don't know who these are....but....
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#76 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 11:03 pm

Good for Atlanta to say no. Hopefully this means they won't overpay in a potential deal.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#77 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 pm

Yet while Detroit’s talks with Atlanta regarding Drummond were revealed by ESPN last week, a source with knowledge of the talks downplayed the prospect of that deal happening. While Atlanta’s brutal season (8-30) has added significant pressure to bolster the roster and give young star Trae Young more help, the Hawks, per a second source, could have landed Drummond already if they were willing to include a first-round pick in the deal.

– via Sam Amick @ The Athletic

And I'm OK with this. He's a FA.
The last time the Hawks traded a player and a 1st for a FA....he left.....looking at you Danny Manning. sigh!
Shooter Says
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#78 » by Shooter Says » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:28 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Yet while Detroit’s talks with Atlanta regarding Drummond were revealed by ESPN last week, a source with knowledge of the talks downplayed the prospect of that deal happening. While Atlanta’s brutal season (8-30) has added significant pressure to bolster the roster and give young star Trae Young more help, the Hawks, per a second source, could have landed Drummond already if they were willing to include a first-round pick in the deal.

The last time the Hawks traded a player and a 1st for a FA....he left.....looking at you Danny Manning. sigh!

I would have liked to of seen his fit with our core for a few months, but if they were asking for too much, no thank you. I bet Detroit gets more desperate closer to the deadline when they realize other teams can't offer them the expirings like we can and potential to also take on a contract such as Snell. I don't think this is over.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#79 » by kg01 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Shooter Says wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

I would have liked to of seen his fit with our core for a few months, but if they were asking for too much, no thank you. I bet Detroit gets more desperate closer to the deadline when they realize other teams can't offer them the expirings like we can and potential to also take on a contract such as Snell. I don't think this is over.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back at the last minute, but it won't change things. We have money but the teams aren't really a good trade-fit. Drummond is likely to opt out anyway so it's not like DET needs to move him to save money. We can just wait and take a stab at him via free agency so no need for us to (a) take on something like Smell or (b) send out any meaningful asset to get him.
king01 :king:
Shooter Says
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#80 » by Shooter Says » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:24 pm

kg01 wrote:
Shooter Says wrote:
jayu70 wrote:And I'm OK with this. He's a FA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back at the last minute, but it won't change things. We have money but the teams aren't really a good trade-fit. Drummond is likely to opt out anyway so it's not like DET needs to move him to save money. We can just wait and take a stab at him via free agency so no need for us to (a) take on something like Smell or (b) send out any meaningful asset to get him.

You're missing part of my point. If you wait until free agency you're risking having to sign him to a big contract without knowing for sure how he's going to fit in with the pieces we already have. I'd rather take on a year of Snell when we're not going to use our cap space anyways next year and see how he fits with our core for 4 months. I agree though that we shouldn't be sending out any meaningful assets for him.

Return to Atlanta Hawks