ImageImage

Grade the Deadline

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How did the Hawks make out at the Trade Deadline?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:15 pm

A
73%
B
27%
C
No votes
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 15

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: Grade the Deadline 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:34 pm

We're still paying Jamal Crawford?

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#22 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:We're still paying Jamal Crawford?

Read on Twitter

That doesn't sound right.
Melo and Crawford was last years dead cap.
Parsons, Nene, Wallace, Walton Jr, Jaylen Adams this year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#23 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:52 pm

Gotta go with an A here. You guys made out very well. I think you got better on the court while also increasing the total asset value of the team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:17 pm

A less than stellar review from these guys...

Atlanta willfully cutting its rebuild short by sacrificing valuable assets screams owner impatience and adds an unnecessarily high degree of difficulty to build the rest of the roster. Yes, the Hawks needed rim protection (tied for 27th in defensive efficiency, 30th in fouls per game), but when guys like Nerlens Noel are signed to minimum contracts and the supply and demand for rim-running centers has gone the way of the NFL running back, why not wait for a cheaper avenue to explore?

The forfeited opportunity cost (just look at what Memphis got for acquiring and flipping Andre Iguodala) matters more than the cap space itself. Capela is capable of lifting the Hawks closer to mediocrity, so long as John Collins can blend, but adding a hyperspecialized piece to the puzzle at this stage seems short-sighted, which is one thing a rebuild of this magnitude can’t be. Just because you can spend doesn’t mean you should.

Grade: D
The Ringer
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#25 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:01 pm

Regarding Capela I'm sure his addition will have the Hawks in playoff contention minimally. My thing with bigs are they have to be really good at one of: ft, mid range, or long range shooting. I don't need him to be good at all three just one, and he isn't.

So when it's time to challenge the Sixers/Celtics of the East, his game may be too limited for a foundational fit. I think we will have an OKC ish type of run next season.

When you look at their ceiling, a big like Adams will hold them back because of his lack of the three categorical shooting I mentioned before.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:51 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Regarding Capela I'm sure his addition will have the Hawks in playoff contention minimally. My thing with bigs are they have to be really good at one of: ft, mid range, or long range shooting. I don't need him to be good at all three just one, and he isn't.

So when it's time to challenge the Sixers/Celtics of the East, his game may be too limited for a foundational fit.

Serious question:

How many times did Houston go to the Conference Finals with Capela as starting Center?

Whats stopping us from doing the same with Trae in the James Harden role?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#27 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:31 am

Capela is only signed for three more years. The avg age of the Hawks drafted core is about 21-22. He is here to help the team move from worst to competing. He's not a championship piece.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:21 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Capela is only signed for three more years. The avg age of the Hawks drafted core is about 21-22. He is here to help the team move from worst to competing. He's not a championship piece.

:dontknow:

The President and GM is publicly including Capela into our 'young core'. I'm not sure what else matters...

Read on Twitter

John Hollinger wrote:Pairing Capela with an elite alley oop-tosser like Young should reinvigorate the Swiss big man...At 25 years old, he’s young enough to be a part of Atlanta’s core for the next several years, and he’s signed for three more seasons at an acceptable $51 million total, plus up to $6 million more with incentives. While the Hawks could have played the free-agent market for a center, it’s not clear they could have found this good a fit at this price point.
The Athletic

Chris Kirchner wrote:General manager Travis Schlenk slowly has created the makings of a complete core with the addition of Capela. The Hawks have their center in Capela, power forward in Collins, three lengthy wings in Huerter, Reddish and Hunter and their point guard in Young.
The Athletic

David Adridge wrote:Capela’s defense may not be as elite as some think, but he’s certainly better than what Atlanta had, and he can grow with Young and John Collins and Huerter and Reddish as the Hawks continue to build their future nucleus.
The Athletic

Chris Kirchner wrote:For now, the Hawks now have six players in their core in Capela, Young, Collins, Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish and De’Andre Hunter.
The Athletic
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#29 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:15 pm

I agree. My comment was for the people whinning about the money invested in a C. I think that he will greatly help with development and puhing the Hawks from losers to winners whether he stays longer than present contract or not
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:02 pm

Grading Every Deal at the 2020 NBA Trade Deadline

Atlanta Hawks

Grades:
A-

The Hawks have the cleanest-cut win here. Capela makes infinitely more sense for them than Andre Drummond. Not only is he slightly younger and under contract for another three years at a reasonable $51.3 million, but he subsists on cuts and dives at the offensive end without requiring preassigned volume or post touches.

Transitioning from Houston to Atlanta shouldn't be an issue for the 25-year-old big man. He goes from feasting off one top-tier playmaker, in James Harden, to yet another, with Trae Young. Capela's fit might even be tidier with Hawks, given how much more they rely on pick-and-rolls to generate offense.

Slotting him beside John Collins could get weird. Both are best suited as rim-runners, and neither should ideally be forced to guard 4s. But Collins does have the lateral shiftiness to cover forwards, and he's made strides as a rotating help defender over the past year or so. His three-point volume is high enough—over four per 36 minutes—to simplify the offensive fit, though the Hawks will need him to shoot even more to maximize the partnership.

Atlanta can feel good knowing the Collins-Capela synergy is the biggest complication coming out of this trade. Collins' next contract won't take effect until 2021-22. The Hawks have time to sort this out. They landed a long-term solution at center while giving up only a single first-round pick projected to fall in the late teens of a shallow draft. That's more important and a big-time win.
Bleacher Report

Return to Atlanta Hawks