Article: Atlanta Hawks Almost Ruined Their Future For Paul George

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Article: Atlanta Hawks Almost Ruined Their Future For Paul George  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 8, 2020 2:02 pm

The news didn’t break until a few months after, but in May, ESPN writer Brian Windhorst reported that the Atlanta Hawks had offered four first-round picks for PG-13.

At that time, the Hawks were just two seasons removed from the 60-win season that netted them the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference. They had already lost major contributors from that season, however, with Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Demarre Carroll, and Kyle Korver no longer on the team.

They were clinging to relevance (and a playoff spot) in 2017, riding All-Star Paul Millsap, a young Dennis Schröder and free-agent signing Dwight Howard to a fifth seed in the playoffs, losing to the Wizards in the first round.
Adding Paul George, who was in the midst of arguably his best season, would have made the Hawks instant contenders to make the Finals, especially since they were only sending picks out.

In hindsight, however, this trade could have severely hurt the Hawks’ future, and they could be feeling that to this day.

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2020/04/08/atlanta-hawks-paul-george/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Article: Atlanta Hawks Almost Ruined Their Future For Paul George 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 8, 2020 4:46 pm

This sounds like a Budenholzer-style act of desperation.

As much as I'd like a pairing of Millsap and PG13, I can't see that duo truly contending for titles...even in the EC.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Re: Article: Atlanta Hawks Almost Ruined Their Future For Paul George 

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Wed Apr 8, 2020 10:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:This sounds like a Budenholzer-style act of desperation.

As much as I'd like a pairing of Millsap and PG13, I can't see that duo truly contending for titles...even in the EC.
Yeaj, I doubt that combination makes it to the finals.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks