Hawks Offseason Officially Begins

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,998

Re: Hawks Offseason Officially Begins 

Post#21 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:03 am

I'd like for us to pursue Justin Holiday in free agency. He played for Indiana this season. He managed to get his 3-point % up just above 40%.
He has been a journeyman and at 30 yrs old I would think he would hope for a 2-3yr deal with a team. He's much improved since the 15-16 season when he played 26 games for Atlanta.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#22 » by shakes0 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 pm

HMFFL wrote:I'd like for us to pursue Justin Holiday in free agency. He played for Indiana this season. He managed to get his 3-point % up just above 40%.
He has been a journeyman and at 30 yrs old I would think he would hope for a 2-3yr deal with a team. He's much improved since the 15-16 season when he played 26 games for Atlanta.

I think he sucks. I got him as the #3 rated Holiday in the NBA.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#23 » by kg01 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm

shakes0 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I'd like for us to pursue Justin Holiday in free agency. He played for Indiana this season. He managed to get his 3-point % up just above 40%.

I think he sucks. I got him as the #3 rated Holiday in the NBA.

Haha, now that's funny. Even though he's the oldest, he sits at the kiddie table at the Holiday Thanksgiving. :lol:
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#24 » by Spud2nique » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Best and worst cases. BSPN article.

Atlanta Hawks

Best case
A young, talented team usually breaks through at some point. There was a thought, briefly, that last season would be that time for the Hawks. The start was promising and there were signs of an upward move. But John Collins' suspension, some injuries and a lack of defensive development put them right back in the lottery.

Next season is another shot at making that progress. Trae Young's offensive ability and stardom have been established. The young players have improved. Clint Capela could be the interior bulwark needed to stabilize an abominable defense.

The Hawks can score. They just let their opponents score a lot more. If they make some defense-minded moves this offseason -- in addition to several such moves in the last year-plus -- those decisions might start to show results. If they improve on defense -- even just to middle of the pack -- they could be an Eastern Conference playoff team.

Worst case
At their core, the Hawks have a simple but possibly unsolvable issue: Their best player is also their biggest liability in their biggest area of weakness. Young's defense has been an issue, and while there have been moves made to try to cover for his limitations, playing a defensively deficient player for 40-plus minutes a game can take its toll.

Adding Capela was an effort to address some of that on the back end, but it's not just Young. The Hawks have not developed an identity beyond running and gunning, and they aren't offensively elite enough to simply outscore opponents every night.

The Hawks have set themselves up to operate on a process-oriented plan, and it's about time to see those investments yield results. If the Hawks don't progress into the playoff hunt next season, change could be coming.

-- Royce Young
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#25 » by Spud2nique » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:11 pm

We got the Xmas 90 game vs the Cavs on nbatv as we speak. I remember taping this game during the time and going to see “look whose talking” at an old school movie theatre with some friends. Lol. I watched half of it live before leaving for Travolta’s uhhhh gem... :roll:

They probably won’t show it but at halftime of this game there was a poem by Pat Obrien and it has to do with the sudden influx of foreign players in the league. One was our very own Sasha Volv, who by the way hit a game winner I believe 92 at the Omni to beat the Warriors. Another game I taped and loved. Tip to win it and Rumeal played great. Anyways, if any of you remember that poem it’s pretty awesome.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#26 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:50 pm

More of the same names. I like this group though. Bertāns and Jerami Grant for sure at the right price as contributors. Love Sap but as a vet that is aging quick. You know what, can I love Sap, the way he once was and leave it there. I mean, I just think we can add more impact on the floor, that being said he’s such an awesome locker room guy. Sure, why not. Build it slow with good mentors.

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/hawks-potential-free-agents-power-forwards/
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#27 » by graymule » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:54 pm

:D

Offseason! It just goes on and on. Nerves shot from waiting.

At last! We are told that, maybe we begin the new season before Christmas! But, wait. It may not begin until mid January.
Really? And, when did you say the draft was? Free agency? Trades?

Do you suppose that fans will be allowed if and when the season opens? Covid 19 rages on. Will there be anyone left to watch
the games when they get around to starting?

GO ATL HAWKS !! :D
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Long Q&A

Q&A: Jeff Teague on the Hawks, Jimmy Butler and his free agency

What role do you envision for yourself on a team next season? 

JT: Honestly, I just want to go to a team where we’re playing to win. I want to win. Like you’ve said, I’ve been to the playoffs for the first nine years of my career. That’s all I know is winning, competing, and trying to get to that ultimate goal of a championship. That’s what I want to play for is to win. If that’s starting or coming off the bench, I just want to play a significant role in winning. That’s really it for me. I know if I get a chance to play and compete, I’m going to play well. I’m not really worried about an exact situation, or I need to be able to start or whatever. I just know if I can get on a team and we’re going to win, I’m going to help in any way, and I’ll affect us winning. 

https://hoopshype.com/2020/10/30/qa-jeff-teague-on-the-hawks-jimmy-butler-and-his-free-agency/

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#29 » by Spud2nique » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:46 am

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:12 am

How Each NBA Team Can Fix Its Biggest Weakness

Atlanta Hawks

Weakness: Playing Basketball without Trae Young

The Atlanta Hawks' offense falls apart when Trae Young is off the floor.

A league-average attack yielded 110.9 points per 100 possessions last season. The Hawks scored 111.4 points per 100 possessions with Young on the floor, compared to a woeful 99.6 when he sat.

It's clear the team needs at least one offensive hub around whom it can at least survive when Young isn't in the game. Finding that player is easier said than done, though.

Atlanta is projected by Yahoo Sports' Keith Smith to be one of just six teams with cap space this offseason, so it can chase a veteran playmaker in free agency or with a salary-dump trade.

If there's any validity to recent Gordon Hayward rumors, he'd be an intriguing forward to play alongside Young, John Collins and Clint Capela.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#31 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 6, 2020 7:30 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Atlanta Hawks

A league-average attack yielded 110.9 points per 100 possessions last season. The Hawks scored 111.4 points per 100 possessions with Young on the floor, compared to a woeful 99.6 when he sat.

It's clear the team needs at least one offensive hub around whom it can at least survive when Young isn't in the game. Finding that player is easier said than done, though.

Atlanta is projected by Yahoo Sports' Keith Smith to be one of just six teams with cap space this offseason, so it can chase a veteran playmaker in free agency or with a salary-dump trade.

If there's any validity to recent Gordon Hayward rumors, he'd be an intriguing forward to play alongside Young, John Collins and Clint Capela.
Bleacher Report

We get Hayward I’m lining up to flick Schlenk in the nuts I’ll tell ya!
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by graymule » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Atlanta Hawks

Bleacher Report

I keep telling ya, Tyrese Haliburton is the answer to this. Draft him, PLEASE!!

:D :D
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:29 pm

graymule wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Atlanta Hawks

Bleacher Report

I keep telling ya, Tyrese Haliburton is the answer to this. Draft him, PLEASE!!

:D :D

He’s still #2 for me behind Okongwu. Gramps how are you a rookie on realgm? You’ve been posting for years. :D
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by graymule » Sun Nov 8, 2020 1:29 pm

On my rookie contract? Just a big kid, I suppose Spud.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:04 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 8, 2020 8:13 pm

Atlanta Hawks: 4 trade candidates to target with the No. 6 overall draft pick

Buddy Hield
Spoiler:
A potential option that the Atlanta Hawks could target by offering up the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft happens to be Buddy Hield of the Sacramento Kings. Coming off somewhat of a disappointing season with the Kings, in which he lost his starting spot, Hield could emerge as a trade target for many teams in search of scoring and shooting.

Hield could join Trae Young to create one of the best shooting backcourts in the Eastern Conference. In a “disappointing” season, Hield still managed to average 19 points, five rebounds, and three assists on 43 percent shooting from the field and 39 percent shooting from 3-point range.

You can make the case that Hield has proven that he can’t be a No. 1 option in today’s NBA and that’s OK. He wouldn’t be asked to be that for the Hawks and could play off both Trae Young and John Collins on the offensive end. If you have questions about this duo’s defensive capabilities, that’s perfectly fine. But there’s no question that they’d be explosive on the offensive end.
Victor Oladipo
Spoiler:
Victor Oladipo is an interesting name to keep an eye on if you’re an Atlanta Hawks fan. I would have a concern that the No. 6 overall pick would be too much value to give up in a potential trade for Oladipo, especially considering that he’d essentially be a rental, but perhaps it’s something that could be worked out in discussions.

Even though Oladipo hasn’t looked like his former All-Star self, assuming that he can get to at least 90 percent of his former self, he can be a really good player for the Hawks. He’s a good 3-point shooter, a good playmaker, and a great defender on the wing. He checks all the boxes for a player you want to stick next to Trae Young in the lineup.

A combo of Trae Young and Victor Oladipo could present one of the best duos in the Eastern Conference, too. Is it enough to get them over the hump and in the playoffs? I’m not sure (and a lot would depend on the health of Oladipo) but it’s certainly better than what they have now.
Jrue Holiday
Spoiler:
Much like trading for Victor Oladipo, I’m not sure if the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft would be considered “too much” for another potential rental. This time, Jrue Holiday who is reportedly being shopped by the New Orleans Pelicans.

That aside, the fit seems to work with Holiday. His skill-set is ideal to stick next to Trae Young, as Holiday is another veteran “star” that can score, distribute, and defend at a high level. Holiday has played both guard positions over the course of his career and would be a great compliment to this roster.

If he proves to be a great fit with this team, the Hawks could always try to extend Holiday beyond this season and hope he takes the long-term security. The fact that Holiday would be viewed more as a rental than as a long-term play would be the concern here.

Though, if both sides could come to an under-the-table agreement, perhaps this is something that could work out.
DeMar DeRozan
Spoiler:
For what the Atlanta Hawks could be looking for on the open market, DeMar DeRozan could be an interesting option. I am not sure what the San Antonio Spurs would be looking for in a potential trade, but if the Hawks are willing to go all-in on the thought of adding another scoring option next to Trae Young and John Collins, there might not be a better option on the open market.

With that said, I still have my doubts about how DeRozan would fit on this team. He isn’t a great 3-point shooter and even though he has grown as a playmaker over the last few years of his career, he’d have to play off-ball a lot with Young and I’m not sure how effective he’d be.

His potential concerning fit on offense coupled with the fact that he leaves much to be desired on the defensive end makes me question how this would work even more. While the idea of adding a piece such as DeMar DeRozan would make some sense theoretically, I have my doubts about the big-picture fit.
Sir Charles in Charge
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 8, 2020 10:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Buddy Hield
Spoiler:
A potential option that the Atlanta Hawks could target by offering up the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft happens to be Buddy Hield of the Sacramento Kings. Coming off somewhat of a disappointing season with the Kings, in which he lost his starting spot, Hield could emerge as a trade target for many teams in search of scoring and shooting.

Hield could join Trae Young to create one of the best shooting backcourts in the Eastern Conference. In a “disappointing” season, Hield still managed to average 19 points, five rebounds, and three assists on 43 percent shooting from the field and 39 percent shooting from 3-point range.

You can make the case that Hield has proven that he can’t be a No. 1 option in today’s NBA and that’s OK. He wouldn’t be asked to be that for the Hawks and could play off both Trae Young and John Collins on the offensive end. If you have questions about this duo’s defensive capabilities, that’s perfectly fine. But there’s no question that they’d be explosive on the offensive end.
Victor Oladipo
Spoiler:
Victor Oladipo is an interesting name to keep an eye on if you’re an Atlanta Hawks fan. I would have a concern that the No. 6 overall pick would be too much value to give up in a potential trade for Oladipo, especially considering that he’d essentially be a rental, but perhaps it’s something that could be worked out in discussions.

Even though Oladipo hasn’t looked like his former All-Star self, assuming that he can get to at least 90 percent of his former self, he can be a really good player for the Hawks. He’s a good 3-point shooter, a good playmaker, and a great defender on the wing. He checks all the boxes for a player you want to stick next to Trae Young in the lineup.

A combo of Trae Young and Victor Oladipo could present one of the best duos in the Eastern Conference, too. Is it enough to get them over the hump and in the playoffs? I’m not sure (and a lot would depend on the health of Oladipo) but it’s certainly better than what they have now.
Jrue Holiday
Spoiler:
Much like trading for Victor Oladipo, I’m not sure if the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft would be considered “too much” for another potential rental. This time, Jrue Holiday who is reportedly being shopped by the New Orleans Pelicans.

That aside, the fit seems to work with Holiday. His skill-set is ideal to stick next to Trae Young, as Holiday is another veteran “star” that can score, distribute, and defend at a high level. Holiday has played both guard positions over the course of his career and would be a great compliment to this roster.

If he proves to be a great fit with this team, the Hawks could always try to extend Holiday beyond this season and hope he takes the long-term security. The fact that Holiday would be viewed more as a rental than as a long-term play would be the concern here.

Though, if both sides could come to an under-the-table agreement, perhaps this is something that could work out.
DeMar DeRozan
Spoiler:
For what the Atlanta Hawks could be looking for on the open market, DeMar DeRozan could be an interesting option. I am not sure what the San Antonio Spurs would be looking for in a potential trade, but if the Hawks are willing to go all-in on the thought of adding another scoring option next to Trae Young and John Collins, there might not be a better option on the open market.

With that said, I still have my doubts about how DeRozan would fit on this team. He isn’t a great 3-point shooter and even though he has grown as a playmaker over the last few years of his career, he’d have to play off-ball a lot with Young and I’m not sure how effective he’d be.

His potential concerning fit on offense coupled with the fact that he leaves much to be desired on the defensive end makes me question how this would work even more. While the idea of adding a piece such as DeMar DeRozan would make some sense theoretically, I have my doubts about the big-picture fit.
Sir Charles in Charge

No, no, no and no.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#38 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Nov 9, 2020 1:21 am

graymule wrote::D

Offseason! It just goes on and on. Nerves shot from waiting.

And what gets annoying, frankly... Image ...is to read these people on Reddit or at other sites who seem to pretend the rest of us are so gullible as to think they have mics and cams bugging every one of the 30 teams' offices, and then, come to the rest of us... relatively intelligent homo sapiens and with some healthy, civilized skepticism... with intel not just about the Hawks (I don't doubt that people have their sources, but excuse me if I seriously doubt that their sources are quite so well-informed as they want to believe they are), but worse, about every other team.

But... *sigh*... they do.

And yes, every now and then, there's someone so thirsty to feel like they have some insider insight, they'll eagerly provide the provocateur the attention desired. It all begs for an SNL skit, it really does. :nod:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:54 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Buddy Hield
Spoiler:

Victor Oladipo
Spoiler:

Jrue Holiday
Spoiler:

DeMar DeRozan
Spoiler:

Sir Charles in Charge
Narrowing down the options Buddy Hield and Jrue Holiday are the two that make the most sense. I believe in prefer to stick with our young talent and not pursue these two. We need the right fit for chemistry and I don't believe Buddy Hield is that. I don't like that Jrue has the option to opt out after one season and frankly I question if he's worth the 26m.

New Orleans wants value but they also just want to free up the money and I prefer to not be the team that helps them accomplish it.

Buddy Hield
2020-21: $26,431,817
2021-22: $24,477,272
2022-23: $22,522,728
2023-24: $20,568,183

Jrue Holiday
2020-21: $26,131,111
2021-22: $27,020,000 {Player Option}

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:15 pm

HMFFL wrote:Narrowing down the options Buddy Hield and Jrue Holiday are the two that make the most sense. I believe in prefer to stick with our young talent and not pursue these two. We need the right fit for chemistry and I don't believe Buddy Hield is that. I don't like that Jrue has the option to opt out after one season and frankly I question if he's worth the 26m.

This all seems fair. Travis Schlenk has positioned us to be in control of the trade/Free Agent market this summer -- but it's pretty slim pickings at this point. He pulled the Capela trade out of thin air this Spring. Let's hope he has a similar move in store this Fall.

Return to Atlanta Hawks