ImageImage

2nd Bubble for the Uninviteds! Hawks Mini-Camp!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Re: 2nd Bubble for the Uninviteds! Hawks Mini-Camp! 

Post#61 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 pm

This was a good listen.
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#62 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s

• Pierce said Young is still growing as a leader, and these two weeks give him an opportunity to show he has grown in this area. “He still has to navigate through a lot of things, but he’s our best player,” Pierce said. “Eventually, he’s going to be our sole leader. Even if we get some veterans and free agents in here, we go as Trae goes• De’Andre Hunter said he wants to improve his ball-handling ability, too, so he can make plays for himself and others. We didn’t get to see much of Hunter in an on-ball role, but I can’t see him developing into a secondary playmaker.

• Hunter also said that he and Cam Reddish need to continue to be more aggressive next season because Hunter felt they were a bit passive at times.

• Reddish said he wasn’t happy with how he started his rookie season but felt like he was headed toward where he eventually can be in this league, which is a productive two-way wing. He felt like he ended the season well, and when asked if he has something to prove next season he said, “I do feel like I have something to prove. I don’t know if I have something to prove other than to myself.”

• Trae Young has been impressed with what he has seen out of Capela: “He’s been playing well. He’s talking. You can tell the veteran leadership he has from being around guys like James (Harden) and (Chris Paul). You can tell from the things he says and how he’s so communicative on the defensive end.”

• Bruno Fernando said Capela has been a “big brother” for him since Capela was acquired. Fernando said Capela was someone he watched a lot of when he was in high school and college and was always someone who was mentioned as a player he could mirror in the NBA. An interesting quote from Fernando was when he was talking about what he saw out of himself after re-watching every game he played during this offseason. He realized how indecisive he was because he was “scared of making mistakes.” I do believe having Capela and Dedmon ahead of him on the depth chart will be a good thing for Fernando because there won’t be as much pressure on him to produce this year. He played more minutes last season than he should have played.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#63 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#64 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Huh? Wasn't the GM just bemoaning the other day how slighted we and the 7 others are by virtue of not having similar time and, at least, some degree of competition? I'm sure he was. I was even taking up his cause, and suggesting that, in truth, Adam Silver should grant us all extra preseason time.

Um. What changed?

I'm not sure there's an answer to that to be found among us peons, so yeah, consider that a rhetorical question.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#65 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:52 pm

He played more minutes last season than he should have played.

Um. I have a different take, Mr. Kirschner.

12.7 minutes per game.

Missed 11 of 67 games, which in an ordinary season translates into 14 of 82.

For a player with 1st round talent on one of the league's most inexperienced rosters, and one whose shred of playoff hopes mostly dimmed early, I think it made sense for him to get more, not less, minutes.

Too, so many of the minutes he played were under the cloud of his mom's health hanging over him, so there's a lot of reason to consider this next season to be an extended rookie season even without considering the 2019-20 truncated season.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#66 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:19 am

Read on Twitter

From the outside, it’s easy to express bewilderment as to why the Hawks would end their camp early, especially if you’ve kept up with the stories on this site for the past few months about how adamant they were about getting practice time. But Atlanta wasn’t the only team to end camp early. Cleveland and New York decided to call it quits before the two weeks were over. also GSW.

The reason for ending camp early, according to one of the Hawks, was players were starting to feel a little worn out after not playing together for six months. Clint Capela and Skal Labissiere hadn’t played in nearly nine months due to rehabbing their injuries. Kevin Huerter rolled his ankle a month ago and was a bit limited in practice.

It already was a tough task to develop any strong evaluations because the players and coaches only had two weeks of time together. That’s why there was very little focus on implementing any X’s and O’s work during the nine days. Plus, there’s still uncertainty of when next season is going to begin, so exhausting yourself and risking injury isn’t worth it right now. According to the players, by ending camp early Pierce was rewarding everyone’s work in what was voluntary practice time.

“Honestly, just getting back on the court together after six months — that really is such a long layoff,” one Hawks player said. “Just to play against somebody in a five-on-five setting was huge. We haven’t done that at all. So, yeah, there was sloppiness, but just to get everyone in the gym is important. Off the court, it was great. We did a lot of bubble activities, we were almost forced to hang out with each other with no other distractions, so that was great. Getting Clint in the mix, going over film, watching the playoff games was also nice.

“It just got you back into a basketball mindset and broke up the norm. From an outsider, it’s like, ‘Yeah how much actual stuff did they get done to help them for the regular season?’ Maybe not much, but we started to implement a culture, got everyone together and were able to do more than just individual work. So it was worth it.”

jayu70
RealGM

Post#67 » by jayu70 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 12:35 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#68 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:20 pm

Sunday at 6:30PM. Be there or be square!
Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#69 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks