ImageImage

Hawks Roster Revue: 3 Wings and a Biscuit

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which Hawk wing player is most important to our future plans?

Hunter's 3 & D Profile
13%
Reddish's 2-Way Game
69%
Huerter's Shooting and Playmaking
19%

Total votes: 16

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,487

Hawks Roster Revue: 3 Wings and a Biscuit 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 pm

State of the Atlanta Hawks: Wings

In a relatively short amount of time, Travis Schlenk (predictably) transformed the Atlanta Hawks roster from top to bottom. The wing position was no exception. Far from the days of now established veteran role players Kent Bazemore and Taurean Prince, Atlanta now sits with a trio of young wings that each feature their own brand of intriguing upside.
Kevin Huerter, De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish make up 60 percent of the fabled ‘Core Five’ that has been referred to immensely since the 2019 NBA draft. With the acquisition of Clint Capela, that seemingly now becomes a ‘Core Six.’ Assuming some of the Hawks’ cap space is spent on another wing, head coach Lloyd Pierce will potentially have the strongest and most versatile set of wings he has had since becoming head coach in Atlanta.

Kevin Huerter, SG, 22 years old, 2 years, $7.02 million remaining — RFA in 2022
Spoiler:
Huerter’s first two seasons were equally promising and frustrating at times. His shooting gravity is very real and, when he gets going, it makes the rest of Atlanta’s offense that much more impossible to stop. If Huerter is rolling, the Hawks can typically outscore any team in the league if Trae Young and John Collins are also having their typical game.
The frustration related to Huerter has been mostly injury related. As a rookie, he only missed seven games, but probably would have started a lot more than 59 games if he weren’t battling a hand injury causing him to miss Summer League and a wide majority of his pre-rookie summer.

This season, a knee injury he played through down the stretch capped his ability to penetrate, and he wasn’t as effective overall. Huerter also struggled to improve his finishing and free throw creation near the rim, which is a point of potential focus in the future. If Huerter could put everything together and stay healthy in year three, he and Young could emerge as one of the premier backcourts in the Eastern Conference.

De’Andre Hunter, SF/PF, 23 years old, 3 years, $25.01 million remaining — RFA in 2023
Spoiler:
Hunter experienced an odd rookie season in which he was actually pretty good on offense by rookie standards, but did not live up to his reputation defensively. At the college level, Hunter was an excellent defender and that was a centerpiece of his appeal. As a rookie, he somewhat struggled and definitely was not an overall positive.

There is, however, plenty of reason to be optimistic about a No. 4 overall pick from just one season ago, who was making the transition from Virginia’s ‘packline’ defense to the variety of modern defensive schemes deployed in the NBA. He still possesses great size and strength that can provide versatility, and the learning curve is steep for many rookies.
Offensively, Hunter has the potential to be close to or at a 40 percent three-point shooter, and he possesses an interesting mid-range game with the ability to exploit mismatches. So if he even delivers on a little of the defensive stuff he was supposed to have, he’s going to be a valuable NBA player.

Cam Reddish, SF, 21 years old, 3 years, $15.08 million remaining — RFA in 2023
Spoiler:
By now, it’s been literally ran into the ground that Reddish’s rookie year was a tale of two seasons. He was one of, if not the worst offensive player in the NBA for the first few weeks of his NBA career. Reddish, like Huerter, missed Summer League the year he got drafted due to injury.

The struggles from those first handful of games could have been prevented if he were able to play in the 2019 Summer League and use that summer to develop. Alas, Reddish was a serviceable NBA player by the time January rolled around, and one of the tougher young wing defenders in basketball. His three-point shot began to fall and the rest of his offensive game was seemingly unlocked.

Going into the 2020-21 season, it’s unclear which wings will start alongside Young, Collins and Capela. Huerter has a natural offensive fit and, at this stage, he probably projects as the starting shooting guard with the current roster. From there, Hunter could have the edge at the 3 based on having a more steady and solid rookie season, especially given that he was the starter for the vast majority of the 2019-20 campaign. Still, it’s a long way off and, for what it’s worth, anything could happen in free agency or on the trade market to influence the pecking order.
Peachtree Hoops
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Hawks Roster Revue: 3 Wings and a Biscuit 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm

Reddish undeniably has the highest ceiling among the three, and Hunter realistically has the highest floor.

But I believe the key to unlocking our offense at it's most lethal is to feature K Huerter in an off-ball role similar to Klay Thompson. Running him off screens for as many catch and shoot opportunities as possible. Especially in a lineup with Capela in the middle, we'll need as many great shooters as possible to keep the lane clear.

CC should be setting screens all day for Huerter, and KH should be abusing opposing defenses anytime he gets any daylight on the perimeter.

Spoiler:
Atlanta Hawks Season Report Cards: Kevin Huerter

Overall Grade: B

Offensive Grade: B+

Huerter is mostly known as a spot-up shooter. His main role in the offense is to score and shoot from the perimeter. Huerter boasted a very good three-point percentage at 38.0, but a lackluster overall field goal percentage of 41.3. He is a dangerous shooter if he is unguarded and has the ability to hit stepback threes.

When the Hawks drafted him in 2018, he was expected to come in and be a shooter. He expanded his role a little bit this year. Huerter flashed playmaking ability and the ability to get to the bucket and score inside.

Defensive Grade: C+

Huerter brings effort and energy on the defensive side of the ball. It is his thin frame that causes a limitation for him on defense. He is not a player that is going to lock down the opposing team’s best wings, and this is something that will factor into the starting lineup for the Hawks moving forward.
Trae young needs a backcourt partner that can help make up for the fact that he is a below-average defender. Huerter’s size and inability to be a lockdown defender will be something the coaching staff will have to consider when forming the rotation next season.
Soaring Down South
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#3 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:46 am

Cam could make it moot if he breaks through his ceiling which appears much higher than Heurter's. I'm also worried about Heurter's fragility. He needs to get stronger. Hunter looks totally high floor, but he might have more ceiling than some think.

I honestly can't answer your poll. I think all three are very important. The answer will inevitably be the highest ceiling. Good problem to have
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:52 pm

^I agree with all of this.

I just can't can't get past the possibility of Huerter and Trae as elite floor spacers for the next decade. Splash Bros East, baby!!!

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#5 » by jayu70 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:33 pm

I think they're all important, what we need is at least one of them to rise to the top, be the 3rd guy behind Trae and Collins.

I'm intrigued and excited by what each has to offer:
1. Heurter's shooting and ball handling next to Trae or when Trae sits is important, the biggest question is can he improve his defense enough to keep a hold of his starting 2 Guard spot.
2. Hunter 3nD potential is intriguing, and I also love that he can play PF in some lineups. His biggest question marks would be consistency all around and what else can he add to his offense to make him more versatile.
3. Reddish - the consensus is he has the highest ceiling of the 3. His defensive instincts and want to defend as a rookie was very surprising. The biggest question mark is can he maintain his offensive shooting that was trending up since the calender switched to 2020. I think/hope so. Can he also be that secondary ball handler.

They all have strengths and weaknesses so it'll be interesting to see which one adds to their strengths and limits their weaknesses to propel us into the next phase of the Hawks development.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:37 pm

Peachtree hoops did the 'Bigs' State of the Hawks earlier:
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#8 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: Cam that’s cute.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#9 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Hawks should play out the season up until the trade deadline and see where we are before making any such trades. Unfortunately, injuries being a part of the game can happen.
They need to stop mentioning Reddish though.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#10 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 pm

Quite frankly, I think Hunter is the odd man out here. Hunter's ceiling is what will keep him from getting paid in Atlanta.

Realisticly, aside from an overpay, Huerter can probably stick around a long time in Atlanta as a 6th man, microwave starter. Cam reaching his ceiling would make him a priority on the wings as a star player. He's probably going to have the longest leash depending on his growth.

The only thing is when to start prepping for one of them to leave.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Quite frankly, I think Hunter is the odd man out here. Hunter's ceiling is what will keep him from getting paid in Atlanta.

Long-term, if Huerter is the 6th man, why would Hunter have to leave? He ain't getting a max deal, and he can play both PF and SF effectively.

Okongwu
Collins
Hunter
Reddish
Trae

Huerter off the bench.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Quite frankly, I think Hunter is the odd man out here. Hunter's ceiling is what will keep him from getting paid in Atlanta.

Long-term, if Huerter is the 6th man, why would Hunter have to leave? He ain't getting a max deal, and he can play both PF and SF effectively.

Okongwu
Collins
Hunter
Reddish
Trae

Huerter off the bench.

More or less the assumption that Trae is going to be paid max money, depending on Reddish situation, he might get paid a hefty amount, and assuming in the situation Collins is still here, well he obviously got paid as well. Not sure if the team will want to pay 4 guys big money, and still hope to have a solid bench with Huerter on it too.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#13 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Okongwu
Collins
Hunter
Reddish
Trae

Huerter off the bench.

More or less the assumption that Trae is going to be paid max money, depending on Reddish situation, he might get paid a hefty amount, and assuming in the situation Collins is still here, well he obviously got paid as well. Not sure if the team will want to pay 4 guys big money, and still hope to have a solid bench with Huerter on it too.

If the Hawks are winning, Ressler has to be prepared to spend. If they are good enough they'll get paid.

I say we have 2 years to figure out what happens with Huerter, Reddish and Hunter. Trae will have signed his early rookie extention, Collins extended (after the Bogi deal). Assuming no trades:

In 2 years Gallo and Capela will both have 1 year left, Rondo and Dunn expired. Bogi with 1+1 left (if he signs).
Huerter will be a RFA - will he be a super sub or will he be to us what Bogi is the Sac, looking to move on for a starting spot. This year will tell a lot.
Reddish and Hunter will be eligible for early rookie extensions if they have been GOOD ENOUGH. If not they'll both hit RFA or we trade 1 or both like we did with Prince.

We have to let it play out before doing anything rash or making too many assumptions.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#14 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:06 pm

One day at a time folks. :wink:
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:02 pm

jayu70 wrote:If the Hawks are winning, Ressler has to be prepared to spend. If they are good enough they'll get paid.

I say we have 2 years to figure out what happens with Huerter, Reddish and Hunter. Trae will have signed his early rookie extention, Collins extended (after the Bogi deal). Assuming no trades:

In 2 years Gallo and Capela will both have 1 year left, Rondo and Dunn expired. Bogi with 1+1 left (if he signs).
Huerter will be a RFA - will he be a super sub or will he be to us what Bogi is the Sac, looking to move on for a starting spot. This year will tell a lot.
Reddish and Hunter will be eligible for early rookie extensions if they have been GOOD ENOUGH. If not they'll both hit RFA or we trade 1 or both like we did with Prince.

We have to let it play out before doing anything rash or making too many assumptions.

Don't get me wrong, I understand we could definitely wait on making moves, but over the years, I have come to the realization that you can't always hold onto the very last minute. Let's be honest, we have a glut of good assets at this point, and that's an amazing thing to have, but I'm concerned about wasting those assets or really just not getting the most out of those assets. I will go deeper into my concerns here.

I'm not the biggest fan of John Collins as a max or near max contract. Neither am I the biggest fan of him being worth the long term investment. He's a 5 masquerading as a 4 with not so good defense at either spot. OO and Gallo makes me feel the FO have a similar mindset on this.

With the moves we've made, I would rather move Gallo to the 4, and let the wing rotation be a 4 man show between Boggs, KH, Hunter, and Reddish. Bruno doesn't cede minutes as he's the primary backup at the 5. OO still has the ability develop his game. You could still have Hunter split time at the 4 even.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#16 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:If the Hawks are winning, Ressler has to be prepared to spend. If they are good enough they'll get paid.

Don't get me wrong, I understand we could definitely wait on making moves, but over the years, I have come to the realization that you can't always hold onto the very last minute. Let's be honest, we have a glut of good assets at this point, and that's an amazing thing to have, but I'm concerned about wasting those assets or really just not getting the most out of those assets. I will go deeper into my concerns here.

I'm not the biggest fan of John Collins as a max or near max contract. Neither am I the biggest fan of him being worth the long term investment. He's a 5 masquerading as a 4 with not so good defense at either spot. OO and Gallo makes me feel the FO have a similar mindset on this.

With the moves we've made, I would rather move Gallo to the 4, and let the wing rotation be a 4 man show between Boggs, KH, Hunter, and Reddish. Bruno doesn't cede minutes as he's the primary backup at the 5. OO still has the ability develop his game. You could still have Hunter split time at the 4 even.

And all that's fair, and as much as I love the Gallo signing I'm not willing to bank on a 32 year old with injury concerns as the long term answer at PF in a season where the primary focus is making the playoffs.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#17 » by Spud2nique » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Maybe do the cap thing and leave the basketball decisions to the big BOYS! :lol: {throws tomato}
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:24 am

Eye on: Cam Reddish

A lot of people like to talk about Trae Young as the guy the Hawks traded Luka Doncic for, but that's not true. They traded the right to Doncic for Young AND Cam Reddish, who represents the additional lottery pick Dallas put in the deal. It's a tough sell, in hindsight, to justify trading Luka for any kind of package, but if Reddish doesn't turn out to be something really good, this is going to go down as a pretty disastrous trade for the Hawks. That's not a knock on Young. Luka is just otherworldly.

As stated above, Reddish made a lot of strides over the course of his rookie season, which began as a mess. So far in the preseason, Reddish has shown a lot of really good flashes, looking natural pulling up for his jumper, even from two or three feet beyond the arc, and he's been OK initiating offense. He needs to get better there. Sometimes he looks like he doesn't want any part of the ball, slow to react, unsure of himself, and his handle in traffic can be pretty iffy.

To me, this is all confidence. Comfort. Success breeds that. Reddish needs to feel good about himself on the court more than anything. If he can get off to a good start and roll that momentum into a major role for what could be a playoff team in just his second season, that Luka trade won't look so bad.
CBS Sports

Return to Atlanta Hawks