ImageImage

2019 draft redo

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

2019 draft redo 

Post#1 » by saloonyk8 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:09 am

If you had a time machine and were in the Hawks draft room last year...

Cam at 8, Hero at 10 and Thybulle at 17?
Commit to the process
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Re: 2019 draft redo 

Post#2 » by myrak433 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:16 am

Coby white at 4
Cam Reddish at 10
Bol Bol at 35
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#3 » by kg01 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm fine(ish) how it turned out and I never liked Hunter all that much. I play the long game so the brief flashes don't wow me.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:23 pm

saloonyk8 wrote:If you had a time machine and were in the Hawks draft room last year...

I probably would go for:

Reddish
Herro
Brandon Clark
Eric Paschall
Bol Bol

That'd leave our coffers filled with trade bait and affordable depth at key positions.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#5 » by King Ken » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:42 am

I am okay with it. Obviously, by my charts, Cam should have been 4th overall and Hunter should have been 10th overall but the board didn't work like that. Hunter was going to go in the top 7 as Cleveland and PHX wanted him as well. We had to move up to land Hunter.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#6 » by King Ken » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:44 am

saloonyk8 wrote:If you had a time machine and were in the Hawks draft room last year...

I am not as high on Thybulle, Hunter would have looked tremendous as a rookie surrounded by competent defenders and he was always in for an year one adjustment due to being a 4 in college. We saw this from Miles Bridges last year. He will adjust this year to the 3 and he's going to be around a much better supporting cast where his role will be more defined.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#7 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:57 pm

back then i wanted the Hawks to trade down and get Sekou Doumbouya, Herro, and Bol. I think 3-4 years from now Sekou is going to make noise and look like the 2nd or 3rd best player in the 2019 draft
kg01
General Manager

Post#8 » by kg01 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:27 pm

King Ken wrote:I am not as high on Thybulle, Hunter would have looked tremendous as a rookie surrounded by competent defenders and he was always in for an year one adjustment due to being a 4 in college. We saw this from Miles Bridges last year. He will adjust this year to the 3 and he's going to be around a much better supporting cast where his role will be more defined.

We agree here. He's become overrated in just one partial season. People gotta consider role when they assess rookies. Our guys were put into the fire and had to sink/swim based mostly on their own merit. Compared to a guy who was surrounded by a better infrastructure, of course the latter would look "better" as a rookie. But that's not the whole story.

The Cam v Herro comparison comes to mind.

We been agreeing too much lately, btw. Let's put a stop to that. :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 pm

I can't help but wonder what public sentiment on the Luka trade would look like had we taken this kid at #10 last summer...

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#10 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 pm

I would've went Cam, Hero, and Bol
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 pm

It helps when you have a specific role off the bench without high initial expections. The burden doesn't fall on him to carry the team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 pm

jayu70 wrote:It helps when you have a specific role off the bench without high initial expections. The burden doesn't fall on him to carry the team.

And that’s what we should have done with Cam from the start. Bringing him off the bench with limited responsibilities. Adding more to his plate as he got more comfortable. His efficiency numbers (and development) would likely be much improved.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#14 » by King Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:It helps when you have a specific role off the bench without high initial expections. The burden doesn't fall on him to carry the team.

And that’s what we should have done with Cam from the start. Bringing him off the bench with limited responsibilities. Adding more to his plate as he got more comfortable. His efficiency numbers (and development) would likely be much improved.

Did you watch the games last year? Who exactly could we have put in front of Cam? Evan Turner? Wallace? Chandler Parsons? Allen Crabbe? We had a hodgepodge of the worst bench talent in the NBA in the last 10 years
kg01
General Manager

Post#15 » by kg01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Eh, I think his development is going just fine. Did you not see how well he was playing before the season ended?

Who gives AF about his "efficiency" numbers in a lost season? If they develop him, he'll never play that poorly again so they don't matter .. unless folks are trying to tout some other dude who played a lesser role on a more talented team and who therefore should have better "numbers".
King Ken
General Manager

Post#16 » by King Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Eh, I think his development is going just fine. Did you not see how well he was playing before the season ended?

Who gives AF about his "efficiency" numbers in a lost season? If they develop him, he'll never play that poorly again so they don't matter .. unless folks are trying to tout some other dude who played a lesser role on a more talented team and who therefore should have better "numbers".

Facts
jayu70
RealGM

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:56 pm

King Ken wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Did you watch the games last year? Who exactly could we have put in front of Cam? Evan Turner? Wallace? Chandler Parsons? Allen Crabbe? We had a hodgepodge of the worst bench talent in the NBA in the last 10 years

Exactly!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#18 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:57 pm

King Ken wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Facts

Double Facts. I think if Cam didn't miss SL, Training Camp and Pre-season coming off surgery...his struggles wouldn't be as bad.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 pm

King Ken wrote:Did you watch the games last year? Who exactly could we have put in front of Cam?

Reddish got heavy playing time early on, not because he was ready...but because we had no other options. That's on the GM. The fact that we went into last season without a competent, capable, able-bodied backup at SG was undoubtedly a mistake. Especially since Huerter and Reddish spent so much of the summer recovering from injuries.

kg01 wrote:Eh, I think his development is going just fine. Did you not see how well he was playing before the season ended?

Reddish had an unnecessarily rough time to start his career. He was put into a role he was clearly unprepared for. That was unfair to him. He took a ton of abuse and it clearly affected his confidence early on. The team also suffered when he played in the first few months. Like, alot...

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

If we hadn't saddled him with too much responsibility so soon, he'd likely have secured an All-Rookie Team selection this season and be more likely to be a starter next season.

kg01
General Manager

Post#20 » by kg01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Eh, I think his development is going just fine. Did you not see how well he was playing before the season ended?

Reddish had an unnecessarily rough time to start his career. He was put into a role he was clearly unprepared for. That was unfair to him. He took a ton of abuse and it clearly affected his confidence early on. The team also suffered when he played in the first few months. Like, alot...

If we hadn't saddled him with too much responsibility so soon, he'd likely have secured an All-Rookie Team selection this season and be more likely to be a starter next season.

Ah, he'll be all right. And I don't really care about the rookie-team stuff. When we look back on how good he's gonna be, we'll look back and laugh at him not making it.

And now I know you're off your rocker. That quadruple spin into the lane was Cam living in 3020 while all them other dudes's barely in 2020. :lol:

Lastly, if'n I see any more zombie 'likes' outta you, sir ....

Spoiler:

Return to Atlanta Hawks