ImageImage

Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2

Moderators: Jamaaliver, dms269, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 11,342
And1: 8,203
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#1 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

if the team is to achieve either a small step forward or bigger leap, Hunter and Reddish no doubt will be a big part of that as two members of the Hawks' “Core Five” group of players that the team is building around.

Both are athletic, two-way wings, though Hunter can play some power forward, too. well. Both often are asked to guard opposing teams' best players (there was a two-day period in November when Hunter had to guard LeBron James and Paul George back-to-back). And both have expressed a desire to be more assertive in Year 2, now that they’ve adapted to the NBA.

“I think we just need to be more aggressive as a duo,” Hunter said. “We were kind of passive this year, I would say, so just being more aggressive. I think we’re both great two-way players, we can score and can defend as well, and I feel like if we’re just more aggressive on offense and defense the sky is the limit for us and this team.”

Reddish, who recently turned 21, started the season with dreadful offense, making one of his first 18 3-point attempts, and shot 27.9% from 3 in November, making his way to 40.3% in January after working with Vince Carter on his shot mechanics (he also went from shooting 20.9% from the field in October to 41.1% in January). His offense came along slowly, but his defense was steadier and developed much faster than the average rookie’s, as did Hunter’s. By the end of the shortened season, though, Reddish’s craftiness was coming to light, whether through his fluidity in attacking the rim or his focus in punching the ball out of opponents' hands for steals.

For Hunter, 22, his shooting showed up earlier, but he would fade into the background at times throughout the season. Pierce has said a few times that Hunter’s game isn’t flashy, such as the likes of Reddish or Trae Young. On March 10, a day before the season was suspended and a day after Hunter registered a 13-point, 11-rebound double-double in a double-overtime win against Charlotte, Pierce said this of Hunter’s skill set: “What he is, he’s a capable catch-and-shoot guy, he’s a rhythm guy. He’s a guy that’s been able to play in the post a little bit, and he’s a guy that knows spacing and just how to be a system and team guy. He’s not a drive-and-kick guy. He’s got to get to a two-foot stop. It’s not as fluid as it is for some of the other guys, but we’ve been able to help him grow in those areas.”

Overall, Reddish averaged 10.5 points and 3.7 rebounds in 26.7 minutes per game, and Hunter added 12.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in 32 minutes per game. Hunter started 62 of the 63 games he played in, and Reddish started 34 of 58.

Growing more consistent and assertive is the next step for the duo, Reddish said, and not just when shooting the ball.

“I think consistency, that’d be a big part of it, but I think the main thing for both of us is just being assertive, whether that’s scoring, passing, whatever it may be,” Reddish said. “Being assertive and aggressive on the floor, and the rest will take care of itself.”
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,823
And1: 9,008
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:21 am

Regarding Reddish, I think the first question we have to resolve is whether the team is better off with him starting or coming off the bench.

If he starts, is it in place of Huerter, Hunter or Capela?

I'd prefer to bring Reddish off the bench to start the season. That's where we saw a tremendous amount of growth from him...and it brings more shot creation to our bench unit.

From The Athletic:

Chris Kirchner wrote:...your first lineup combination of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Collins and Capela should be the starting lineup because those five are currently the team’s best players, and if it works positionally, you should always play your best players.

...at the three, I’d rather have Reddish right now. I also know there’s some talk of Reddish playing the two, but that doesn’t seem to be the right move because of his size.

I think out of the “Core Five” players, Hunter has the lowest ceiling in the group. I don’t see All-Star potential. I see a role player whose ceiling is third-best starter. Hunter will help the Hawks win many games, however, if his shooting continues and the defensive ability he showed at Virginia comes through.

I’m interested to see if he looks more comfortable in a backup four-man role because he’s not the quickest laterally and struggled against smaller wings. The Hawks’ best lineup this season was with Hunter at the four and Collins at the five.
Sept 2020
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 11,342
And1: 8,203
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:51 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Regarding Reddish, I think the first question we have to resolve is whether the team is better off with him starting or coming off the bench.

If he starts, is it in place of Huerter, Hunter or Capela?

I'd prefer to bring Reddish off the bench to start the season. That's where we saw a tremendous amount of growth from him...and it brings more shot creation to our bench unit.

From The Athletic:

Chris Kirchner wrote:...your first lineup combination of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Collins and Capela should be the starting lineup because those five are currently the team’s best players, and if it works positionally, you should always play your best players.

...at the three, I’d rather have Reddish right now. I also know there’s some talk of Reddish playing the two, but that doesn’t seem to be the right move because of his size.

I think out of the “Core Five” players, Hunter has the lowest ceiling in the group. I don’t see All-Star potential. I see a role player whose ceiling is third-best starter. Hunter will help the Hawks win many games, however, if his shooting continues and the defensive ability he showed at Virginia comes through.

I’m interested to see if he looks more comfortable in a backup four-man role because he’s not the quickest laterally and struggled against smaller wings. The Hawks’ best lineup this season was with Hunter at the four and Collins at the five.
Sept 2020

Capela is starting.
2 of Huerter, Reddish and Hunter will start - I'm all for a solid training camp battle.
It may come down to the strength of the starting unit vs the strength of the bench. Could be a situation where the personnel group for the bench dictates who joins the bench. Manu was good enough to start but the bench needed him more and he flourished in that role.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,784
And1: 4,200
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#4 » by Spud2nique » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:53 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Regarding Reddish, I think the first question we have to resolve is whether the team is better off with him starting or coming off the bench.

If he starts, is it in place of Huerter, Hunter or Capela?

I'd prefer to bring Reddish off the bench to start the season. That's where we saw a tremendous amount of growth from him...and it brings more shot creation to our bench unit.

From The Athletic:

Chris Kirchner wrote:...your first lineup combination of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Collins and Capela should be the starting lineup because those five are currently the team’s best players, and if it works positionally, you should always play your best players.

...at the three, I’d rather have Reddish right now. I also know there’s some talk of Reddish playing the two, but that doesn’t seem to be the right move because of his size.

I think out of the “Core Five” players, Hunter has the lowest ceiling in the group. I don’t see All-Star potential. I see a role player whose ceiling is third-best starter. Hunter will help the Hawks win many games, however, if his shooting continues and the defensive ability he showed at Virginia comes through.

I’m interested to see if he looks more comfortable in a backup four-man role because he’s not the quickest laterally and struggled against smaller wings. The Hawks’ best lineup this season was with Hunter at the four and Collins at the five.
Sept 2020


I got :

Trae
Cam
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man: Huerter
7th man : FA/draft pick #6 Okongwu
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 41,538
And1: 3,048
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:29 am

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Regarding Reddish, I think the first question we have to resolve is whether the team is better off with him starting or coming off the bench.

If he starts, is it in place of Huerter, Hunter or Capela?

I'd prefer to bring Reddish off the bench to start the season. That's where we saw a tremendous amount of growth from him...and it brings more shot creation to our bench unit.

From The Athletic:

Chris Kirchner wrote:...your first lineup combination of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Collins and Capela should be the starting lineup because those five are currently the team’s best players, and if it works positionally, you should always play your best players.

...at the three, I’d rather have Reddish right now. I also know there’s some talk of Reddish playing the two, but that doesn’t seem to be the right move because of his size.

I think out of the “Core Five” players, Hunter has the lowest ceiling in the group. I don’t see All-Star potential. I see a role player whose ceiling is third-best starter. Hunter will help the Hawks win many games, however, if his shooting continues and the defensive ability he showed at Virginia comes through.

I’m interested to see if he looks more comfortable in a backup four-man role because he’s not the quickest laterally and struggled against smaller wings. The Hawks’ best lineup this season was with Hunter at the four and Collins at the five.
Sept 2020


I got :

Trae
Cam
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man: Huerter
7th man : FA/draft pick #6 Okongwu
That's my starting lineup too.
We drafted Cam when we did because we thought he's the BPA but I doubt we drafted him to come off the bench longterm.

Our entire damn team needs to step up. Talking is easy!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,518
And1: 590
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#6 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 4:02 pm

I think that Cam is going to blow by Huerter. One has a role (Heurt) the other has star potential. I disagree with Kirch above? Play Cam at the two unless it is demonstrated that he can't do it.

For the first time ever Hawks have size. Hunter is at 3 and can slide to 4. Cam at 2 and can slide to 3. JC is 4 and can slide to 5. I think TS sees it this way demonstrated by the Capela / Dedmon moves. Heurter is a nice 6th man and spot starter.

Pick #6 is a pure value pick since we don't have a positional need short or long-term.

Hawks are looking so good right now. Just have to let these young guys develop.

I have very high hopes for Cam and Hunter. No reason they can't grow into something like the Celts have in Brown / Tatum
graymule
Rookie
Posts: 1,031
And1: 1,054
Joined: Jun 18, 2004

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#7 » by graymule » Sat Oct 3, 2020 5:55 pm

[quote="tbhawksfan1"]

Pick #6 is a pure value pick since we don't have a positional need short or long-term.

But, we do. Back up PG is our weakest link. Hawks have some "pretty good" players here but the draft could update us here.

Haliburton - - Hawks probably will not draft him - - but, I would love it if they did !!

:nod:
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,518
And1: 590
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#8 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 6:33 pm

graymule wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Pick #6 is a pure value pick since we don't have a positional need short or long-term.

But, we do. Back up PG is our weakest link. Hawks have some "pretty good" players here but the draft could update us here.

Haliburton - - Hawks probably will not draft him - - but, I would love it if they did !!

:nod:


:) I just meant that it should be BPA. If TS thinks that's Hali, I'm all for it. I know he's your guy
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,823
And1: 9,008
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 4, 2020 12:36 am

There's another issue to consider. If we bring in another big name veteran player, it will likely be at the SF or SG position. This would almost certainly mean Reddish (and/or Huerter) get relegated to the bench for the coming season.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I think that Cam is going to blow by Huerter. One has a role (Heurt) the other has star potential. I disagree with Kirch above? Play Cam at the two unless it is demonstrated that he can't do it.


Interesting note from Sam Vecenie:

I’m not at all a fan of the idea of putting Reddish at the two. He’s more of a three, and honestly, I think it’s far more likely his best secondary position is going to be at the four long-term once he gets strong enough. I know that’s been kind of a thing, but the best way to get the most marginal advantage out of Reddish’s skill set is going to be to play him down the lineup in the frontcourt, not up the lineup in the backcourt.
The Athletic
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 24,823
And1: 9,008
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:12 am

Chris Kirchner wrote:[Schlenk] also touched on the rookie seasons for Hunter and Reddish. The Hawks felt like Hunter was someone who could come in and play right away, which makes sense because after trading Taurean Prince to Brooklyn, the team needed a starting small forward. His game might not be flashy, but Schlenk feels like he’s going to be “rock solid” and do all of the right things to help the team win. Schlenk thought the perception of Reddish playing poorly to start the season was skewed just because he wasn’t making shots. He was fine in other areas, particularly defensively. Schlenk said Reddish is going to be “really important for us in the future” because of what he allows the Hawks to do defensively with his length, athleticism and anticipation. He also believes Reddish “has a chance to be one of the best defensive players in the league.”

What’s most encouraging about the Hawks and their future is their “Core 5” was their best lineup. Trae Young, Huerter, Cam Reddish, De’Andre Hunter and Collins were a net positive of 10.7 points in 442 possessions together, according to Cleaning The Glass. For a team that was so bad defensively all season long, that lineup was slightly under league average in allowing 110.5 points per 100 possessions. If that lineup’s offense continues to improve, which isn’t farfetched because of the age and experience of each of those players, we’re talking about a core group that can be the foundation for something special in the years to come, as long as the roster around those players is filled with better players than what they’ve been given the past two seasons.
The Athletic in April
graymule
Rookie
Posts: 1,031
And1: 1,054
Joined: Jun 18, 2004

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#11 » by graymule » Sun Oct 4, 2020 1:07 pm

:D

Seeing the best lineup last season, Hawks still have all five of these core players. They are all very young.
They now have a year's experience to add to this AND they have added Capela, a great young, experienced
center to this.

Add to this the fact that the Hawks are building a much improved bench and we are beginning to be excited
about the future of this Atlanta team.

8-)
atlantabbq99
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,886
And1: 1,262
Joined: Mar 28, 2013

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#12 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:46 am

Hunter should turn into a poor man's Jimmy Butler, which is elite defense, versatility, +37% from three, and enough intangibles like he showed in the 2019 NCAA championship game and hitting game winners.

Cam hopefully can turn into prime Steve Smith, which is a big combo guard who is a two way player and a fringe All Star.
Buzzard
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,970
And1: 2,843
Joined: May 16, 2018
     

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#13 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:49 am

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Regarding Reddish, I think the first question we have to resolve is whether the team is better off with him starting or coming off the bench.

If he starts, is it in place of Huerter, Hunter or Capela?

I'd prefer to bring Reddish off the bench to start the season. That's where we saw a tremendous amount of growth from him...and it brings more shot creation to our bench unit.

From The Athletic:

Chris Kirchner wrote:...your first lineup combination of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Collins and Capela should be the starting lineup because those five are currently the team’s best players, and if it works positionally, you should always play your best players.

...at the three, I’d rather have Reddish right now. I also know there’s some talk of Reddish playing the two, but that doesn’t seem to be the right move because of his size.

I think out of the “Core Five” players, Hunter has the lowest ceiling in the group. I don’t see All-Star potential. I see a role player whose ceiling is third-best starter. Hunter will help the Hawks win many games, however, if his shooting continues and the defensive ability he showed at Virginia comes through.

I’m interested to see if he looks more comfortable in a backup four-man role because he’s not the quickest laterally and struggled against smaller wings. The Hawks’ best lineup this season was with Hunter at the four and Collins at the five.
Sept 2020


I got :

Trae
Cam
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man: Huerter
7th man : FA/draft pick #6 Okongwu

I have that as the starters also. The tighter the financial rumors get the more I think one of Harris, Bertans, or Gallinari can be had for 3 years @ 15 million. We can possibly take a TO on year three and make this work out great.
"Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships." Pat Summitt

"Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships." Paul Bear Bryant
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,518
And1: 590
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#14 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:51 am

Jamaaliver wrote:There's another issue to consider. If we bring in another big name veteran player, it will likely be at the SF or SG position. This would almost certainly mean Reddish (and/or Huerter) get relegated to the bench for the coming season.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I think that Cam is going to blow by Huerter. One has a role (Heurt) the other has star potential. I disagree with Kirch above? Play Cam at the two unless it is demonstrated that he can't do it.


Interesting note from Sam Vecenie:

I’m not at all a fan of the idea of putting Reddish at the two. He’s more of a three, and honestly, I think it’s far more likely his best secondary position is going to be at the four long-term once he gets strong enough. I know that’s been kind of a thing, but the best way to get the most marginal advantage out of Reddish’s skill set is going to be to play him down the lineup in the frontcourt, not up the lineup in the backcourt.
The Athletic


I'm not trying to lock these guys into a position. I want them to be able to go up or down. I am happy though that for the first time in a long time, the Hawks can go big with Trey, Cam or Heurter, Hunter, JC, Capela.

Then they can switch to small ball. I like both options
jayu70
RealGM
Posts: 11,342
And1: 8,203
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
   

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#15 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:10 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:There's another issue to consider. If we bring in another big name veteran player, it will likely be at the SF or SG position. This would almost certainly mean Reddish (and/or Huerter) get relegated to the bench for the coming season.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I think that Cam is going to blow by Huerter. One has a role (Heurt) the other has star potential. I disagree with Kirch above? Play Cam at the two unless it is demonstrated that he can't do it.


Interesting note from Sam Vecenie:

I’m not at all a fan of the idea of putting Reddish at the two. He’s more of a three, and honestly, I think it’s far more likely his best secondary position is going to be at the four long-term once he gets strong enough. I know that’s been kind of a thing, but the best way to get the most marginal advantage out of Reddish’s skill set is going to be to play him down the lineup in the frontcourt, not up the lineup in the backcourt.
The Athletic


I'm not trying to lock these guys into a position. I want them to be able to go up or down. I am happy though that for the first time in a long time, the Hawks can go big with Trey, Cam or Heurter, Hunter, JC, Capela.

Then they can switch to small ball. I like both options

Agreed. I love the versatility they can provide.
Huerter: SG/PGPG
Reddish: SG/SF
Hunter: SF/PF
Collins: PF/C
Only Trae and Capela are locked into their spots.
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,784
And1: 4,200
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#16 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:43 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Regarding Reddish, I think the first question we have to resolve is whether the team is better off with him starting or coming off the bench.

If he starts, is it in place of Huerter, Hunter or Capela?

I'd prefer to bring Reddish off the bench to start the season. That's where we saw a tremendous amount of growth from him...and it brings more shot creation to our bench unit.

From The Athletic:

Sept 2020


I got :

Trae
Cam
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man: Huerter
7th man : FA/draft pick #6 Okongwu

I have that as the starters also. The tighter the financial rumors get the more I think one of Harris, Bertans, or Gallinari can be had for 3 years @ 15 million. We can possibly take a TO on year three and make this work out great.


I don’t think Joe Harris ends up with us. We have a shot at the Latvian lazer and please no Gallo, ever. I still look back at Gallo’s career and see a lot of sitting with injuries and now he’s a year older, no thanks.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
Buzzard
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,970
And1: 2,843
Joined: May 16, 2018
     

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#17 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:49 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
I got :

Trae
Cam
Hunter
Collins
Capela

6th man: Huerter
7th man : FA/draft pick #6 Okongwu

I have that as the starters also. The tighter the financial rumors get the more I think one of Harris, Bertans, or Gallinari can be had for 3 years @ 15 million. We can possibly take a TO on year three and make this work out great.


I don’t think Joe Harris ends up with us. We have a shot at the Latvian lazer and please no Gallo, ever. I still look back at Gallo’s career and see a lot of sitting with injuries and now he’s a year older, no thanks.

Bertans is my #1 and the only thing that concerns me is the quotes about age. He is 27 so I am hoping like hell Schlenk does not consider him old. :lol:
"Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, rebounding wins championships." Pat Summitt

"Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships." Paul Bear Bryant
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,784
And1: 4,200
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#18 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:54 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I have that as the starters also. The tighter the financial rumors get the more I think one of Harris, Bertans, or Gallinari can be had for 3 years @ 15 million. We can possibly take a TO on year three and make this work out great.


I don’t think Joe Harris ends up with us. We have a shot at the Latvian lazer and please no Gallo, ever. I still look back at Gallo’s career and see a lot of sitting with injuries and now he’s a year older, no thanks.

Bertans is my #1 and the only thing that concerns me is the quotes about age. He is 27 so I am hoping like hell Schlenk does not consider him old. :lol:



Bertāns is the only one of the three I like for us as he’s a young man. :nod:
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,518
And1: 590
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#19 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:41 pm

I've been on Bertans from the beginning. Get a good deal TS. Also like Burkes and/or Burke cheap
Spud2nique
Head Coach
Posts: 6,784
And1: 4,200
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: Expectations for DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish in Year 2 

Post#20 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 5, 2020 7:02 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I've been on Bertans from the beginning. Get a good deal TS. Also like Burkes and/or Burke cheap



You have? I don’t remember. Prove the post or it never happened. I can prove a post where a poster didn’t want Jaylen Brown for Bembry. I can have that on your desk by 4! :lol:
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:

Return to Atlanta Hawks