ImageImage

If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach

Moderators: Jamaaliver, dms269, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
Posts: 7,518
And1: 4,506
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#1 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Look I love Lloyd as a player development coach, he works great with the guys and really cares. I hope we do well and reach our max potential with him, but sadly my guess is that we won’t.

If he gets the axe, then my list is short.

1. Mark Jackson
2. Becky Hammon
3. Kenny Atkinson


Whose on your list? You all thinking Lloyd will be the long term solution here in Atlanta for us?
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,778
And1: 831
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#2 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:55 pm

Mark Jackson...? Dude is blackballed for reasons. I like #2 and #3 though
Ghost999
Freshman
Posts: 60
And1: 24
Joined: Jul 10, 2019
   

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#3 » by Ghost999 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Look I love Lloyd as a player development coach, he works great with the guys and really cares. I hope we do well and reach our max potential with him, but sadly my guess is that we won’t.

If he gets the axe, then my list is short.

1. Mark Jackson
2. Becky Hammon
3. Kenny Atkinson


Whose on your list? You all thinking Lloyd will be the long term solution here in Atlanta for us?


Those would be good choices, but my money is on Nate McMillan taking over if things go south. He has been coaching as long as I can remember. I still can't believe we got him as an assistant.
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,778
And1: 831
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#4 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:58 pm

TBH I think my anti Pierce posts are rubbing some wrong. I'm not anti Pierce per say. Just not convinced that he's a very good coach and I would like to have a very good coach.

Trae don't like him though and that is a BIG problem
Spud2nique
General Manager
Posts: 7,518
And1: 4,506
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#5 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:24 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:TBH I think my anti Pierce posts are rubbing some wrong. I'm not anti Pierce per say. Just not convinced that he's a very good coach and I would like to have a very good coach.

Trae don't like him though and that is a BIG problem


I haven’t read your anti Lloyd threads. What did you say?

Again, I think he’s a great teacher of the game but his natural instincts as a coach don’t seem to be there. I think we have a ceiling as far as wins and advancing to another level with him as the coach.


Becky Hammon would be a great fit with Trae I think. Plus she’s another under coach Pop and I honestly think she has soaked up more info being with Pop than other has with Pop since prolly coach Bud or Udoka, another candidate that might be under the radar and in the Spurs system for a minute.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 42,463
And1: 3,515
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:30 pm

Lloyd doesn't impress me much but considering the injuries we have I don't believe he should be fired anytime soon. Onyeka Okongwu has been participating in five on five games so he should return soon.



Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,778
And1: 831
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#7 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:TBH I think my anti Pierce posts are rubbing some wrong. I'm not anti Pierce per say. Just not convinced that he's a very good coach and I would like to have a very good coach.

Trae don't like him though and that is a BIG problem


I haven’t read your anti Lloyd threads. What did you say?

Again, I think he’s a great teacher of the game but his natural instincts as a coach don’t seem to be there. I think we have a ceiling as far as wins and advancing to another level with him as the coach.


Becky Hammon would be a great fit with Trae I think. Plus she’s another under coach Pop and I honestly think she has soaked up more info being with Pop than other has with Pop since prolly coach Bud or Udoka, another candidate that might be under the radar and in the Spurs system for a minute.


Just talking about the JC / Trae thing and the fact that Trae's Dad has been openly anti Pierce for a while now. Pierce is in his third season and I'm not seeing anything to make me think he's a good coach. He's a handsome man and I like his political / social stances, but as a coach... not so much.

I think the team would benefit from a guy that would have the respect of the players and a proven background as an X and O coach

What I think not withstanding. Pierce has lost Trae and Trae is the most important piece to this team. Pierce isn't
Spud2nique
General Manager
Posts: 7,518
And1: 4,506
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#8 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:TBH I think my anti Pierce posts are rubbing some wrong. I'm not anti Pierce per say. Just not convinced that he's a very good coach and I would like to have a very good coach.

Trae don't like him though and that is a BIG problem


I haven’t read your anti Lloyd threads. What did you say?

Again, I think he’s a great teacher of the game but his natural instincts as a coach don’t seem to be there. I think we have a ceiling as far as wins and advancing to another level with him as the coach.


Becky Hammon would be a great fit with Trae I think. Plus she’s another under coach Pop and I honestly think she has soaked up more info being with Pop than other has with Pop since prolly coach Bud or Udoka, another candidate that might be under the radar and in the Spurs system for a minute.


Just talking about the JC / Trae thing and the fact that Trae's Dad has been openly anti Pierce for a while now. Pierce is in his third season and I'm not seeing anything to make me think he's a good coach. He's a handsome man and I like his political / social stances, but as a coach... not so much.

I think the team would benefit from a guy that would have the respect of the players and a proven background as an X and O coach

What I think not withstanding. Pierce has lost Trae and Trae is the most important piece to this team. Pierce isn't


I felt this for a while too and didn’t say it in the other land because it was taboo there and some folks (cough cough) were Lloyd sack chasers. Look I love the guy in teaching the tools of the game and in the community, I don’t see him lasting but that’s just a prediction. I hope to god I’m wrong because if not, our season will end with no playoffs.
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 25,534
And1: 9,304
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm

My top coaching replacements, in no particular order:

Mike D'Antoni
Spoiler:
The fact that the Rockets and D'Antoni were unable to come to an agreement on a contract extension last off-season shows that the organization has some ambivalence about committing to their coach long term beyond the current campaign. Similar to the D'Antoni-led Phoenix Suns teams of the mid-2000s, the Rockets have also been prolific -- and historic -- on the offensive end of the ball. And like those Suns teams, they have been unable to translate regular-season success into serious postseason success; neither team was able to advance past the conference finals.

Like Brown in Philadelphia, D'Antoni's future in Houston was likely going to hinge on how the Rockets performed in the 2020 postseason, and it still might if the season is ultimately resumed. A Finals run could motivate the organization to commit to D'Antoni. However, if the Rockets ultimately fall short -- again -- in the playoffs with their new and extreme small-ball attack, or the season is completely canceled, the two sides could part ways when D'Antoni's contract is up after the season. Unless the organization is convinced that the team can win at the highest level by emphasizing shooting and scoring while downplaying defense and rebounding, a split might be the best option. CBS Sports


Kenny Atkinson
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Chris Finch, former New Orleans assistant coach
Spoiler:
Finch has an edge, both to his personality and his conviction that an offensive basketball team needs to be constantly pressuring the defense. There's some Mike D'Antoni in him, an undying belief that conventional wisdom should be challenged and new ideas pursued at all costs.

Asked for features they look for in candidates, NBA executives name diversity of experience more frequently with each passing year. Finch coached for a decade in Europe, where the Rockets found him while scanning the globe for undervalued sideline talent. In 2009, they installed him in Rio Grande Valley of the D-League, where he led the Vipers to the title his first season and another finals appearance in his second. He then joined the staff in Houston, where he [was] a primary architect of the speedy, bombs-or-bunnies offense.

Link to Travis: He previously was an assistant under Former GSW assistant coach Alvin Gentry.


Nate Tibbetts, Portland Trail Blazers assistant coach
Spoiler:
Tibbetts is an understated but vital presence in Portland. The Blazers' young backcourt praises him for his ability to communicate and provide players with cheat codes -- nuanced observations such as opposing players' tendencies or a play call from the other bench. They also appreciate that he'll gladly hop in a taxi with them at 3:30 p.m. if they want to get in an early pregame workout at the arena. Tibbetts simply loves games, loves the preparation that goes into them and loves being in the gym with players.

Organizations increasingly value head coaching experience at the D-League level, and Tibbets cut his teeth for four seasons at the helm of Sioux Falls in his native South Dakota, then Tulsa for the Thunder organization, which courted him this past offseason to join Billy Donovan's staff. Tibbetts, 41, received an interview in Charlotte for the vacancy that ultimately went to Steve Clifford.

Though he's not a big personality, per se, Tibbetts' combo of player development chops, time as a head coach, positive energy and communications skills is starting to reach front offices around the league. With a slew of openings this spring and summer, Tibbets is likely to visit some executive suites after the Blazers' season ends.
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 25,534
And1: 9,304
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: If Lloyd doesn’t last as coach 

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am

And a few names from our previous coaching search...
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks