Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Welcome to the HAWKS - Jalen Johnson 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:09 am

I had no idea there were so many dudes named Jalen in the NBA Draft this year...

Player: Jalen Johnson

Position: PF

Height: 6'9"

Pro Comparison: Aaron Gordon

Scouting Report: Johnson's decision to leave Duke midseason shouldn't distract from his physical profile, athleticism and versatility to handle the ball, pass and guard multiple positions. Even without a reliable jumper, he''ll threat to score around the basket and play-make.

Johnson showed promise in his brief college career with 11.2 points on 52.3 percent shooting and 6.1 rebounds per game.

Given his combination of size and shooting prowess, he has the potential to be a difference-maker for the Hawks. He will just need time to develop after limited experience at the college level.
Bleacher Report
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#3 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 am

I don't like the pick. I would rather have Jaden Springer's work ethic over Jalen Johnson's talent any day.

I hope I'm wrong and Jalen shows he has a psycho insane work ethic in the weight room, court, and film room.

I think Jalen already knows he has the ''quiter tag'' labled on him by everybody in the world, I hope he takes that and proves everybody wrong and becomes a monster in the weight room and on the court like Rodman and Draymond did early in their careers.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#4 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:15 am

Jamaaliver wrote:I had no idea there were so many dudes named Jalen in the NBA Draft this year...

Scouting Report: Johnson's decision to leave Duke midseason shouldn't distract from his physical profile, athleticism and versatility to handle the ball, pass and guard multiple positions. Even without a reliable jumper, he''ll threat to score around the basket and play-make.

Johnson showed promise in his brief college career with 11.2 points on 52.3 percent shooting and 6.1 rebounds per game.

Given his combination of size and shooting prowess, he has the potential to be a difference-maker for the Hawks. He will just need time to develop after limited experience at the college level.
Bleacher Report

I don't agree with the Aaron Gordon comparison. Jalen reminds me more of Brandon Clarke
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:16 am

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#6 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:36 pm

So the question for me, is he a 3 or a 4? For sure a point forward, but what position will he occupy more. If we're using him more as a 4, then I like this a lot. Gives us what I consider the ideal 4 to play alongside Trae.

Would need to add some muscle to maybe get about 240 or so. I would then say Collins is gone with a max deal on the cusp of being offered to him. I'd be fine with that though because Johnson looks much more polished in the post, and as a passer. Defense is just icing on the cake because he can guard both forward spots. I've seen some say he can maybe play some small ball 5 in a pinch.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#7 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:40 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:So the question for me, is he a 3 or a 4? For sure a point forward, but what position will he occupy more. If we're using him more as a 4, then I like this a lot. Gives us what I consider the ideal 4 to play alongside Trae.

Would need to add some muscle to maybe get about 240 or so. I would then say Collins is gone with a max deal on the cusp of being offered to him. I'd be fine with that though because Johnson looks much more polished in the post, and as a passer. Defense is just icing on the cake because he can guard both forward spots. I've seen some say he can maybe play some small ball 5 in a pinch.

Schlenk said he's a combo forward. When asked if he was selected since OO got injured, he said JJ is not a center. TIFWIW.
Schlenk said expect our young players to see GLeague time since we have transitioned from strictly developing guys to winning, so I don't see JJ as Collins' immediate replacement for this season. I think he becomes the backup PF as we transition from Gallo next season.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#8 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:So the question for me, is he a 3 or a 4? For sure a point forward, but what position will he occupy more. If we're using him more as a 4, then I like this a lot. Gives us what I consider the ideal 4 to play alongside Trae.

Schlenk said he's a combo forward. When asked if he was selected since OO got injured, he said JJ is not a center. TIFWIW.
Schlenk said expect our young players to see GLeague time since we have transitioned from strictly developing guys to winning, so I don't see JJ as Collins' immediate replacement for this season.

Wasn't able to see the presser with Travis. Combo forward is what I assumed also. I agree not for the immediate future, but I would hope sooner rather than later. The kid needs seasoning for sure, and I wouldn't be mad at him being in the g league most of the year. We definitely got a guy with plenty of upside, and don't mind not covering a need for backup PG.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#9 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:04 pm

It's not fair how much damn young talent ya'll have...honestly lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#10 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I had no idea there were so many dudes named Jalen in the NBA Draft this year...

Bleacher Report

2000 Jalen’s and a bunch of Trae, Trey, Trea ‘s. :lol:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#11 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Top 12 talent at the #20 pick. Stuck to his BPA guns. I dig it. Welcome Jalen to the farm. #wemove
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#12 » by D21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:27 pm

Not sure at this point about the supposed maturity problem, but being with older guys can only help, and I have to admit that taking him at 20 is a good point for someone with this potential. He looks good on passing, blocking, more than I thought at first
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#13 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:05 pm

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#15 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#16 » by HMFFL » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:30 pm

D21 wrote:Not sure at this point about the supposed maturity problem, but being with older guys can only help, and I have to admit that taking him at 20 is a good point for someone with this potential. He looks good on passing, blocking, more than I thought at first
I'd like to think after what our team experienced under Pierce that the players will step up and put anybody in their place when it's needed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:56 am

Jalen Johnson goes to the Atlanta Hawks: Here’s what they’re getting

At 6-foot-9 and 220 pounds, Johnson is a physical specimen, capable of playing multiple positions and roles. At Duke, he thrived as a small-ball center, grabbing rebounds and initiating the break in transition. He has elite vision in transition and the ability to make passes all over the court. And with a head of steam behind him in the open floor, good luck stopping his combination of strength and speed.

In the halfcourt, though, not so much. Johnson’s handle is loose, meaning he couldn’t really operate as a primary ballhandler; accordingly, he averaged more turnovers (2.5) than assists (2.2) per game over the course of the season. And with an unreliable jump shot — he made eight of his 18 attempts from 3 this season, but he lacks arc and touch with his form — defenses sagged off him and packed the paint. Then, when Johnson did try driving to the rim, he struggled to finish through and around contact. Defensively, he excelled as a help defender, but less so when guarding opposing wings and forwards man-to-man. Basically, at times, Johnson looked like one of the more physically and naturally gifted players in the class. At others, he was something of a ball-stopper offensively, and not much of a difference-maker on defense.

By selecting Johnson, Atlanta is clearly hoping for more of the former.
The Athletic
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#18 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:11 am

Hornets fan here. I wanted him at 11. I think you guys got the steal of the draft.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#19 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 1, 2021 4:25 am

BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,089

Post#20 » by BigO » Sun Aug 1, 2021 11:51 pm

Bucks fan here. I've seen Jalen Johnson in person dozens of times over the last five years, mainly in AAU ball.

The analysis of the "experts" is generally accurate. Here's my breakdown:

1) Unbelievably athletic and skilled.

2) Decent in every aspect of the game, but a master of none.

3) He has excellent court vision and a good handle for his size (one area where I disagree with one of scouts).

4) He needs strong guidance. He was labeled early on as the best player in his class in Wisconsin and you could tell on the court he was pretty full of himself.

5) Transferred after I think his sophomore year from his high school near Madison to a school in the Milwaukee suburbs and basically put together (his father and others) an all star team so he could win a state championship. Then left to go to ING and then dropped out of there. Then dropped out of Duke. He has a lot of voices telling him how great he is. His father was a decent ballplayer many years ago and is understandably a big influence on him.

6) With strong guidance from Nate McMillan and some strong veteran influence, there is big potential with him.

7) Lastly, his shot has gone thru a lot of variations, so he needs a good shot doctor. I've seen him take over games and not miss from the outside, so it's not starting from scratch.

Return to Atlanta Hawks