ImageImage

Hawks Plan to Be Active at 2022 NBA Trade Deadline

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which current Hawk players are likely to be moved at the trade deadline?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:30 am

Danilo Gallinari
48%
Cam Reddish
18%
Delon Wright
15%
De'Andre Hunter
9%
Bogdan Bogdanovic
6%
Jalen Johnson
3%

Total votes: 33

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Hawks Plan to Be Active at 2022 NBA Trade Deadline 

Post#21 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 3:35 am

HMFFL wrote:Ben Simmons makes to much for me to be interested. He might be a good defender but he will be paid up to $40m per season in the final year of his contract.

Does Matisse Thybulle interest us?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I feel like Thybulle will take an overpay to get.

The most likely Simmons to Atlanta deal I think is if Portland decides to move Dame and wants a rebuilding package. Dame to Philly, Simmons to Atlanta, your rebuilding package to Portland plus Maxey and picks from Philly. What it would take in such a package I'm not sure. Boston, Min, and Sac would likely be trying to bid against you and who knows what NOP might try. But adding Simmons to your core via picks/Cam/prospects instead of moving a true core guy is the only way I really like it for you guys. If you can accomplish that then maybe Simmons solves a lot of your issues. He could really help elevate your defense and could handle PG duties when Trae is off the floor.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#22 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:55 am

Jamaaliver wrote:My guess for trade targets:

Defensive players under contract from bottom feeder teams -- and a backup PG.

• Pascal Siakam
  • Jerami Grant
  • Ben Simmons
  • Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
  • Derrick White
  • Thaddeus Young
  • Keldon Johnson
  • Marcus Smart
  • Jaylen Brown

I like Smart and Brown but hate directly dealing with the Celts.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#23 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:58 am

Jamaaliver wrote:My guess for trade targets:

Defensive players under contract from bottom feeder teams -- and a backup PG.

• Pascal Siakam
  • Jerami Grant
  • Ben Simmons
  • Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
  • Derrick White
  • Thaddeus Young
  • Keldon Johnson
  • Marcus Smart
  • Jaylen Brown

I got Jarred Vanderbilt. He defends well.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#24 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#25 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:05 pm

How can anyone see what BS did last playoffs and since then and want to trade assets for him? When you consider his huge salary, limitations and history, I wouldn't give much. Gallo and that's about it. His documented meltdowns, lack of development, mega diva status and all the money he's owed just pump all the value out.

There's also the fit. Who do we trade? Can he play with Capela, JC? Where does he play?

I really don't mind people throwing ideas out there, but I would really like for them to address some of the fit and cost realities when they propose to bring someone in and ship out part of our team.

On the trade board if you don't give "reasons"... meaning fit and plausibility your thread is locked. If you're going to propose trades at least put in the effort to propose a trade and to justify it...please
jayu70
RealGM

Post#26 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:11 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:How can anyone see what BS did last playoffs and since then and want to trade assets for him? When you consider his huge salary, limitations and history, I wouldn't give much. Gallo and that's about it. His documented meltdowns, lack of development, mega diva status and all the money he's owed just pump all the value out.

There's also the fit. Who do we trade? Can he play with Capela, JC? Where does he play?

I really don't mind people throwing ideas out there, but I would really like for them to address some of the fit and cost realities when they propose to bring someone in and ship out part of our team.

On the trade board if you don't give "reasons"... meaning fit and plausibility your thread is locked. If you're going to propose trades at least put in the effort to propose a trade and to justify it...please

This is not my trade idea, when I do post one...I give a reason. This is just 'reporting'. I don't have access to the article so I cannot post the proposed trade.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:33 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:How can anyone see what BS did last playoffs and since then and want to trade assets for him?

tbh, it's all good brother. Be easy, homey.

Ben Simmons was awful in that Atlanta series. But that was a two week span. The years preceding that he was a top player in the league.

He has more All Star Selections, All NBA Selections and All Defense selections than our entire team combined. It makes sense that a team in need of perimeter defense and secondary play-making would consider an elite perimeter defender and PG.

One series doesn't define an entire career...unless you let it.

To be fair...The salary issues are a legit concern. The mental fragility and prima donna behavior are legit concerns.

But from a basketball fit -- Trae and Ben Simmons would be a better version of Steph and Draymond.
The best defensive player and the best offensive player on the same team!!!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#29 » by kg01 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:37 pm

Folks are way too down on Simmons. Yes he had bad 4th quarters but he was dominant and unguardable for most of that series, including taking shots at the rim. He had a terrible decision in a moment and folks are acting like he played scared all series. That is not the case.

Is he miscast as a lead 'guard'? Obviously yes, so anyone trading for him is likely not going to ask him to be in that role.

Does he need to shoot when that is the right decision at the time? Again, obviously yes. But we gotta stop acting like the dude was trash. He's a DPOY who can literally defend 1-5. Despite all the snarky reporting/comments, has a high bbiq. Is a high-level passer/playmaker/ball handler.

Why would any team not want that player .... assuming some obvious tweaking is addressed?
king01 :king:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#30 » by kg01 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:39 pm

Oof, an unholy alliance of @jamallo and kg might've just happened on this Simmons discussion.

Did anyone else get a chill up their spine?
king01 :king:
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#31 » by DirtybirdGA » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:52 pm

Koom- by yah...
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#32 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:11 pm

kg01 wrote:Oof, an unholy alliance of @jamallo and kg might've just happened on this Simmons discussion.

:lol:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:11 pm

DirtybirdGA wrote:Koom- by yah...
:lol:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#34 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:14 pm

kg01 wrote:Folks are way too down on Simmons. Yes he had bad 4th quarters but he was dominant and unguardable for most of that series, including taking shots at the rim. He had a terrible decision in a moment and folks are acting like he played scared all series. That is not the case.

Is he miscast as a lead 'guard'? Obviously yes, so anyone trading for him is likely not going to ask him to be in that role.

Does he need to shoot when that is the right decision at the time? Again, obviously yes. But we gotta stop acting like the dude was trash. He's a DPOY who can literally defend 1-5. Despite all the snarky reporting/comments, has a high bbiq. Is a high-level passer/playmaker/ball handler.

Why would any team not want that player .... assuming some obvious tweaking is addressed?

My question to the bolded has been - how WILLING and ACCEPTING would he be to NOT be the lead guard? be a screen setter, rebounder etc. He can easily make plays out of the PnR if he's willing to set the screens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#36 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:52 pm

kg01 wrote:Folks are way too down on Simmons. Yes he had bad 4th quarters but he was dominant and unguardable for most of that series, including taking shots at the rim. He had a terrible decision in a moment and folks are acting like he played scared all series. That is not the case.

Wait I just read this, deja vu.. oh Jam echo but I’m starting to follow in line, you both haven’t said anything false, having said that I can’t stress this enough, I HATE guys that can’t shoot. I mean maybe my center like Capela, but Simmons wouldn’t be our center, then again Draymond stinks at shooting but not nearly as bad as Ben.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:53 pm

kg01 wrote:Oof, an unholy alliance of @jamallo and kg might've just happened on this Simmons discussion.

Ha! Funny I felt a chill as well! He woo’d both us? Why kind of a sick game.. :cry:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#38 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ok Jaylen Brown is Spud’s guy (talking in 3rd person; I’m my own guy) and Jam and cagey gots Ben.

I’ll take the both of you on.

Jaylen>Ben
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 973

Post#39 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jan 7, 2022 11:58 pm

jayu70 wrote:

My question to the bolded has been - how WILLING and ACCEPTING would he be to NOT be the lead guard? be a screen setter, rebounder etc. He can easily make plays out of the PnR if he's willing to set the screens.

I do remember watching some Philly games where he is used as a roll guy quite often. The video below shows how terrifying he can be in such situations and mostly highlights what you're asking. I think he would probably prefer being utilized this way to help showcase and maximize his offensive impact other than just setting the table for others. If anything, he'd probably enjoy just simply watching someone else handled that load.

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#40 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 1:14 am

I think Trae and Simmons could pair well. Simmons is good in the regular season and come playoffs is okay offensively for three quarters and elite defensively for four. Trae is who you want with the ball anyway at the end of the game so tell Simmons to look for dunks or just pass the ball with no pressure to make anything happen. He would likely be good in the non-Trae minutes to keep the team afloat throughout the game and then Trae brings you home when it matters aka when Simmons gets in his own head. Hopefully a new start and not having the pressure to make stuff happen in the fourth can get his mental issues straightened out enough for him to be really good for you guys. Not saying he should be your top target, but if your FO does trade for him I think Atlanta is one of the places he could do well.

Return to Atlanta Hawks