ImageImage

Hawks Plan to Be Active at 2022 NBA Trade Deadline

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which current Hawk players are likely to be moved at the trade deadline?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:30 am

Danilo Gallinari
48%
Cam Reddish
18%
Delon Wright
15%
De'Andre Hunter
9%
Bogdan Bogdanovic
6%
Jalen Johnson
3%

Total votes: 33

raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 509

Re: Hawks Plan to Be Active at 2022 NBA Trade Deadline 

Post#101 » by raleigh » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:37 am

I don't think the fact he's still dwelling on it two years later actually helps your argument. Regardless, the bruhaha between Collins and Trae about how the offense is running was leaked. And, in April of last year, when things were going well, John talked about it with Michael Pena of SI.

It's pretty darn clear what he wants. The problem is that he's not very good at it:

Nine percent of Collins' field goal attempts this season have been pull-ups, according to NBA Stats. That's also a career-high, and it's historically a shot he's not comfortable with (39.5 FG% this season). And nearly all of those pull-ups are twos, not threes.

His playtype data looks suspect as well. Collins is posting up over twice as often (17.8% of his plays) as he did two years ago (8.1%), per NBA Stats/Synergy. He's not a good post-up shooter, as evidenced by the 39.4% clip and 14.0% turnover rate.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/stats-notebook-has-john-collins-role-with-the-hawks-really-changed
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#102 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#103 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:07 am

raleigh wrote:It's pretty darn clear what he wants. The problem is that he's not very good at it:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/stats-notebook-has-john-collins-role-with-the-hawks-really-changed

Seems like you're cherry picking data points.

JC is elite at two things and yet he's been allowed to do them less and less frequently under Nate. Some of that is coaching. Some of that is playing next to Capela who can't space the floor at all.

Read on Twitter

Collins is one of the elite "3-and-rim" offensive players in the entire NBA. Below is the percentage of Collins' shots that were either layups, dunks or threes:

• 2017-18: 79.1%
  • 2018-19: 82.3%
  • 2019-20: 82.3%
  • 2020-21: 69.4%
  • 2021-22: 68.4%

Collins' role has changed, specifically in the past two seasons. He is used less for his rim pressure and lob pressure, and asked to do more out of the post and in the mid-range. Collins' strengths on offense are pretty clear: he dunks on people and forces help when attacking the basket, and spaces the floor effectively. He's a play-finisher, not an initiator or post player.

But there's no doubt he's being used differently. While this is far from the sole reason Atlanta is plummeting, it does lend some credence to his public confusion.
Basketball News
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#104 » by raleigh » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:38 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Seems like you're cherry picking data points.

This is not complicated. He's absurdly efficient at finishing what Trae creates for him: open threes and lobs. When he tries to do more, he's not efficient at it.

Those two "cherry picked data points" are exactly the two things that JC has to do unassisted. It's the entire point of the article.
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#105 » by raleigh » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:44 am

Jamaaliver wrote:JC is elite at two things and yet he's been allowed to do them less and less frequently under Nate. Some of that is coaching. Some of that is playing next to Capela who can't space the floor at all.

Some of that is due to Capela. But some of it is due to JC's own desire to do more than be a "3&Rim" guy:

“I feel like a lot of people have been questioning my ability to create for myself. Obviously they know I can make open threes, make tough midrange shots, finish, be athletic and all that great stuff. But skill always wins in my mind, and I feel like my ability to shoot has really opened up my ability to drive, make plays for other people and get downhill and attack,” Collins said.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/04/21/john-collins-atlanta-hawks-relationship
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#106 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am

What kind of "plays" you going to run for JC? He can't dribble or post up. Nearly all of his points come from being set up. He gets a lot on the PnR...that's a play. I think that if JC is moved, he's really going to miss Trae.

I don't understand what JC's expectation is. He's at 17pts which is about right since he can't create his own. His rebounds are low at 7.9. He doesn't get FT because he can't dribble and pentrate.

I'd much rather the offence go through Trae, Hunter and whoever is at SG. JC can continue to get his easy shots set up by others and get his rebounds up closer to 10 and maybe he'd feel better about himself. Oh and become a better defender wouldn't hurt.

I think that it was also telling that when CC was out, JC didn't look good.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#107 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:38 am

raleigh wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:JC is elite at two things and yet he's been allowed to do them less and less frequently under Nate. Some of that is coaching. Some of that is playing next to Capela who can't space the floor at all.

Some of that is due to Capela. But some of it is due to JC's own desire to do more than be a "3&Rim" guy:

“I feel like a lot of people have been questioning my ability to create for myself. Obviously they know I can make open threes, make tough midrange shots, finish, be athletic and all that great stuff. But skill always wins in my mind, and I feel like my ability to shoot has really opened up my ability to drive, make plays for other people and get downhill and attack,” Collins said.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/04/21/john-collins-atlanta-hawks-relationship

I disagree with him about his ability to make plays for others and get down hill and attack. Does he want to play point forward? I think that his delusional opinion of his skills resemble the problem we had with Cam. Now Cam gone and JC reportedly on the market. Also find his "all that great stuff" thing a bit cringy
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#108 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 am

JC without Trae averages 21/8+ with 54/43/87 splits in his career. And not like hawks have anyone outside of Trae that can set him up consistently. Hawks have a better record in games when Collins gets higher usage. And Collins doesn’t even get as many lobs in p&r anymore bc of Capela. Already watched him average 22-10 and 20-10. He can absolutely produce more (still on elite efficiency) with more usage.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#109 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am

Ball4life32 wrote:JC without Trae averages 21/8+ with 54/43/87 splits in his career. And not like hawks have anyone outside of Trae that can set him up consistently. Hawks have a better record in games when Collins gets higher usage. And Collins doesn’t even get as many lobs in p&r anymore bc of Capela. Already watched him average 22-10 and 20-10. He can absolutely produce more (still on elite efficiency) with more usage.

Yeah and the Hawks lose. Tody he's on a team where there are better options on offence.
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#110 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:JC without Trae averages 21/8+ with 54/43/87 splits in his career. And not like hawks have anyone outside of Trae that can set him up consistently. Hawks have a better record in games when Collins gets higher usage. And Collins doesn’t even get as many lobs in p&r anymore bc of Capela. Already watched him average 22-10 and 20-10. He can absolutely produce more (still on elite efficiency) with more usage.

Yeah and the Hawks lose. Tody he's on a team where there are better options on offence.

Because Collins was out at the beginning of both those years. And both years Hawks had the worst record in the nba by the time he came back iirc.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#111 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am

I think that JC has rock the boat on the Hawks. His contract expectation was a big wave and now it comes out that he's unhappy with his role and usage. I think that he's likely to be moved and there's a good chance that it will be to a lesser team. I think that he could very easily be making a big error by not accepting his role on the Hawks and giving 100%.

He looks to be on a Christian Wood trajectory... a talented player, but a mal-content
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#112 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am

Ball4life32 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

Because Collins was out at the beginning of both those years. And both years Hawks had the worst record in the nba by the time he came back iirc.

So what's your point? You think that JC should be the clear #2 and fed to his expectations? What is JC's "place" on the team. As far as defence I take Cap and OO over him without a thought. On offense he has a role, but I would not try to increace his usage over Hunter, Boggy / Heurter and of course Trae.

A point that you seem to be neglecting is that he has backed himself into a corner by stating his unhappiness and now he is reportedly on the market. He is not the leader of this team. That is Trae Young
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#113 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:02 am

If he played better even without more usage he could improve. His rebound rate is bad this year. His D, though improved is still just barely okish. Develop some kind of post game maybe.

He should accept his role, play ball and count his millions the Hawks gave him
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#114 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

So what's your point? You think that JC should be the clear #2 and fed to his expectations? What is JC's "place" on the team. As far as defence I take Cap and OO over him without a thought. On offense he has a role, but I would not try to increace his usage over Hunter, Boggy / Heurter and of course Trae.

A point that you seem to be neglecting is that he has backed himself into a corner by stating his unhappiness and now he is reportedly on the market. He is not the leader of this team. That is Trae Young

I think the problem is he isn’t the best fit with CC offensively. His usage rate wasn’t much different in 19-20 than it was in 20-21 but his numbers went down quite a bit. I think if OO can keep developing offensively he could get back to his old numbers or close. And I think he cares more about winning not usage. He had even lower usage in the playoffs but I didn’t hear him complaining when they’re winning.

And I have no idea what Schlenk is looking to do but I’m skeptical that some guy at BR is the one that knows.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#115 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Ball4life32 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:Because Collins was out at the beginning of both those years. And both years Hawks had the worst record in the nba by the time he came back iirc.

I think the problem is he isn’t the best fit with CC offensively. His usage rate wasn’t much different in 19-20 than it was in 20-21 but his numbers went down quite a bit. I think if OO can keep developing offensively he could get back to his old numbers or close. And I think he cares more about winning not usage. He had even lower usage in the playoffs but I didn’t hear him complaining when they’re winning.

And I have no idea what Schlenk is looking to do but I’m skeptical that some guy at BR is the one that knows.

That's not really the problem. His fit with CC yeah, but CC has a very important role and contribution and he does THAT. JC doesn't seem to want to accept what his role should be and is making noise. That's the issue
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:13 pm

I'm not taking sides in this surprisingly impassioned debate, but my takeaway from all these trade rumors:

Travis re-signed a number of players to long term value extensions last summer. Yet 6 months later, he seems more than willing to part with anyone not named Trae and restructuring the team altogether.

This tells me that these guys weren't necessarily retained to be long term pieces here, but were kept under team control as assets to be played or traded whenever it became necessary.

This is actually pretty brilliant.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#117 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:07 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm not taking sides in this surprisingly impassioned debate, but my takeaway from all these trade rumors:

Travis re-signed a number of players to long term value extensions last summer. Yet 6 months later, he seems more than willing to part with anyone not named Trae and restructuring the team altogether.

This tells me that these guys weren't necessarily retained to be long term pieces here, but were kept under team control as assets to be played or traded whenever it became necessary.

Definately better than letting them walk or holding onto them if you can trade for better

It's a no brainer to place Trae at the top of the pyramid. I also love Hunter and OO. Everyone else is flexible. It seems that Travis has no patience with mal-contents: Cam gone JC on the block. I 100% agree. No room for mal-content, ego guys on a team.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#118 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:07 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm not taking sides in this surprisingly impassioned debate, but my takeaway from all these trade rumors:

JC definitely fits this narrative imo. He was never a 25+ million dollar player, but yet Schlenk threw it at him anyway in the end. Sabonis was a better player, and John got way more money than him a year later.

Hopefully it pans out this way, but man it was risky doing so.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#119 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 am

2022 NBA trade deadline: Lakers, 76ers among five most interesting teams to watch ahead of Feb. 10

Atlanta Hawks/

When it comes to the playoff race, the Hawks are currently on the outside looking in. They sit 12th in the Eastern Conference, with 1 1/2 games separating them and the last spot in the play-in tournament. This certainly isn't a place anyone expected an Atlanta team fresh off a run to the Eastern Conference finals, but here we are. Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk wants to "make improvements" to the roster ahead of the deadline, and given the slow start to the season, it's easy to see why.

The Hawks already made a trade recently when they shipped off Cam Reddish, Solomon Hill and a 2025 second-round pick to the New York Knicks in exchange for Kevin Knox and a 2022 first-round pick. But this trade was seen more as a set-up piece for something bigger Atlanta might have planned down the line. What that move will be remains to be seen, but the Hawks have been linked to Ben Simmons -- despite the Sixers' reluctance to trading him right now and Atlanta's unwillingness to take on Harris in the deal as well. Perhaps the Hawks save their ammo for the summer when more players will be eligible to be traded, but one name that's been mentioned ahead of the Feb. 10 deadline is John Collins.

Over the past two years, Collins has butted heads with franchise star Trae Young, taking issue with the style of basketball the Hawks play, and has seen a decrease in shot attempts since his third year in the league. Atlanta still opted to sign him to a new deal this past summer, but there have been several reports of teams being interested in trading for the athletic forward. One reported deal that's surfaced is a swap of Collins for Pistons forward Jerami Grant, who is seen as one of the trade deadline's prized targets. Financially the deal would work, but the Hawks are far from the only team interested in Grant. Whatever the trade is, it's clear the Hawks plan on being active leading up to the deadline, and given their current standing in the East, it seems necessary.
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#120 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:09 am

Top 10 Storylines Ahead of 2022 NBA Trade Deadline

Are the Hawks Done Making Changes?

Atlanta Hawks GM Travis Schlenk made headlines earlier in January with some candid remarks about his disappointment with his team, which is currently sitting outside the play-in field following an unexpected run to the Eastern Conference Finals last spring. Schlenk hinted that changes are coming, and then he dealt former top-10 pick Cam Reddish to the New York Knicks.

As the deadline approaches, the Hawks are one of the most intriguing teams that could be looking to make major changes. Forward John Collins, who just signed a five-year, $125 million extension over the summer, has expressed some displeasure with his role in the offense. And as the Hawks have been rumored to be one of the teams interested in the likes of Simmons or Grant, his name has come up as a potential centerpiece for one of those deals.

It takes a lot to get a deal of that magnitude done, but the Hawks are looking to salvage a disappointing season and get back into the playoffs. Expect them to be as aggressive as anyone in seeing what's out there.
Bleacher Report

Return to Atlanta Hawks