ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight 2022: Walker Kessler

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Prospect Spotlight 2022: Walker Kessler 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:12 am

GA native Walker Kessler seems like the perfect big man to play along side Trae.

I remember watching Walker in high school, skinny and lanky and i wasn't too impressed at the time i thought he moved kind of awkward. With that said, im super impressed how much he has improved at Auburn. He is 7'1, but hands down has the most hustle of all the prospects in 2022 and he has a rare gift for timing on blocks that alot of bigs don't have. He also plays with no fear and doesn't care if he gets hit or he is the one who hits.

He does have weaknesses. Offensive game is average to below average, no jump shot. Has 70FG% but all from put backs, hustle plays, and lobs. The biggest concern is his skinny frame. I was always disappointed at Mike Muscala for not being able to add on any mass or weight, but if Walker can go insane and hit the weights and adds 30lbs of mass, gets some tats and grows a beard, he could be another Steven Adams or JaVale McGee with less bone head plays.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Prospect Spotlight 2022: Walker Kessler 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:20 pm

I do like this kid and believe he'll be around the league for some years.

But I wouldn't pick him in the teens; he's more of a late first rounder.

I also have him rated far behind Mark Williams.

Also....he's going to get dunked on A LOT.

Walker Kessler, C, Auburn

Height: 7'1" | Weight: 245 | Age: 20 | Sophomore

After transferring to Auburn and rejuvenating his status as a prospect, Kessler figures to come off the board somewhere in the first round, as one of the more accomplished rim protectors in the draft. He owned a jaw-dropping 19.1% block rate this season and recorded seven or more blocks nine different times, which is a first-round case unto itself. Kessler is a pretty good athlete for his size and cuts an imposing figure around the basket, and while he may not suddenly transform into Dikembe Mutombo in the faster-paced NBA game, he’s reliable and should offer defensive stability. If he continues to improve his three-point shooting and adds some strength, Kessler could conceivably be a useful role player in the vein of late-career Brook Lopez.
SI.com
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:56 am

^ I like both Walker and Williams but I don't think Williams falls to the Hawks. But if Williams falls on the draft just like Collins did in his draft, then great! I think Williams is a slightly poor man's Bam, and I think other teams have already seen that and he will go in the top 10 or 6-10.

I'm ok with getting Walker at 16 and getting BPA at 13. I have Walker in the 15-20 range, some might have Walker as a 2nd round pick, but I have no problem in reaching for a player like Walker (especially a center) if i'm confident he will have a 10 year career, just like how I was high on Deandre Jordan, and Whiteside when they fell to the 2nd round.

I think the Brook Lopez is a horrible comparison for Walker. I see him more like a better version of McGee or Birdman. I have Walker's ceiling as Tyson Chandler or Noah.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 1, 2022 8:35 pm

Scouting report from back in January:

Walker Kessler | Auburn | Sophomore

Center 7'1"

Auburn center Walker Kessler, in my opinion, has been the most impactful player on the best team in college basketball so far. Even more than Smith, I think Kessler is the key to Auburn’s success over the past month during its climb up the rankings to No. 1. With all due respect to Kentucky big man Oscar Tshiebwe, no player has been better in SEC play when accounting for both offense and defense than Kessler. Since Dec. 14, Kessler has averaged about 14 points, eight rebounds and five blocks per game while shooting 73 percent from the field. That’s just a ridiculous amount of production. After a slow start getting acclimated to Auburn over the first month, Kessler has been entirely dominant.

He’s just absolutely enormous inside at 7-foot-1 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan. The Tigers block more shots than any team in college basketball and have allowed teams to shoot just 43.6 percent from inside the arc. Auburn’s defense is 9.1 points per 100 possessions better when Kessler is on the court versus when he’s off the court.
In SEC play, the Tigers allow teams to take five percent fewer of their shot attempts at the basket when Kessler is on the court, and teams within the league are shooting just 47 percent at the rim in the half court. He and Arizona center Christian Koloko are the two best defensive players in college basketball so far this season. Any list of the best defenders in the country without them is not a list worth looking at.
The Athletic
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:57 am

"Kessler became the first first-year player to reach double figures in points and rebounds in the Jazz’s season-opening game."

https://www.al.com/sports/2022/10/walker-kessler-has-record-setting-nba-debut-for-jazz.html

Kessler, the guy i wanted from the start. He got 12/12 in his first NBA game. Griffin didn't get to play. I knew Walker was special and Hawks missed out on another no brainer home town kid. huhu
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:06 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Image

"Kessler became the first first-year player to reach double figures in points and rebounds in the Jazz’s season-opening game."

https://www.al.com/sports/2022/10/walker-kessler-has-record-setting-nba-debut-for-jazz.html

Kessler, the guy i wanted from the start. He got 12/12 in his first NBA game. Griffin didn't get to play. I knew Walker was special and Hawks missed out on another no brainer home town kid. huhu

I'm still optimistic on AJ. But you've been touting Walker for months and that's a helluva a debut the young man just had.

Kudos to you for identifying this kid. :clap:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:59 am

Somewhere, Greg Ostertag is smiling...

Read on Twitter
leo7
Junior
And1: 189

Post#8 » by leo7 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:22 am

Even though AJ is playing really well, this guy could've been Capela's replacement.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:07 pm

^ Its well documented that I would have drafted Walker over AJ, and I would still prefer Kessler over AJ after evaluating them half way into the season. Like i said before, as a prospect i could see Walker easily having a 10-15 year career and being an elite anchor on defense like Cap, Steven Adams, Noah, Tyson Chandler, and I think Trae biggest need is a defensive big (more than a talented wing), just like Curry and Draymond, Billups and Wallace, Isiah and Rodman.

With that said, AJ has looked alot better than i thought he would. I can see AJ replacing Hunter, rather than overpaying Hunter. AJ could be a solid #5 like Marvin Williams, but there is a small chance he could be as good as Jaylen Brown a few years down the line.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:29 pm

Atlanta native Walker Kessler officially over takes Banchero in Rookie of the Year rankings with stellar January performance...

I knew Kessler was good but i never imagined he would be doing this.

Banchero is averaging 20.8ppg but on very poor efficiency and poor defensive metrics

Kessler has been on a tear for the last 10 games, averaging 12.1ppg 11.1rpg, 3.0block, .694FG%

Kessler by far has the highest PER of all rookies at 22.1 while Banchero's PER is only at 16.7
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:13 pm

I do wonder how he'll fare in the postseason.

Rudy Gobert is a generational big man defender and a future Hall of Famer. His one huge weakness was an inability to defend on the perimeter. And in the playoffs, time and again, teams would work to get him in a mismatch on a top guard or wing and then abuse him in the one part of the court his defense wasn't effective.
Spoiler:
Gobert being undressed by a small-ball lineup:

The lineup that ruined the Jazz that particular night? Harden and Paul surrounded by Joe Johnson, Trevor Ariza, and Luc Mbah a Moute. Together, the cabal of perimeter-oriented players no taller than 6-foot-8 ran a clinic on how to take Gobert out of the game. The Ringer

That feels like Kessler's fate. And that's why he fell all the way out of the top-20. I am pulling for the kid and am greatly impressed by his production.

Minnesota has to be kicking themselves that they had this kid on their roster, on a rookie contract and traded him (+ picks) for an aging Rudy Gobert.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:39 pm

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,035

Post#14 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:03 pm

As can be seen early in this thread, I loved Kessler. For once that I get something right in the draft
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:21 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:As can be seen early in this thread, I loved Kessler. For once that I get something right in the draft

???
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,035

Post#16 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:16 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:As can be seen early in this thread, I loved Kessler. For once that I get something right in the draft

???

:lol:

OOOps. Should have checked before posting. Somewhere in one of the pre-draft threads I was all in on Kessler. Thought it was in here
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:02 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

???

:lol:

OOOps. Should have checked before posting. Somewhere in one of the pre-draft threads I was all in on Kessler. Thought it was in here

I believe you. Walker was beasting in college, it was easy to see his potential.

What do you think about Colin Castleton? I love his fearlessness but there are alot of parts of his game I don't like.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:41 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:OOOps. Should have checked before posting. Somewhere in one of the pre-draft threads I was all in on Kessler. Thought it was in here

Found it!

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I was just watching Walker Kessler. Very interesting center prospect. Big time blocks and moves really well for 7'1". I think he can develop a three. OO coumd play some PF and we'd finally have a center with real size
March 2022

If Walker develops a three point shot, he becomes a young, more athletic Brook Lopez. And that's a really enticing player.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:33 pm

Well deserved.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks