ImageImage

Heat vs Hawks: Episode Four -- A New Hope

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Heat vs Hawks: Episode Four -- A New Hope 

Post#21 » by Spud2nique » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:39 am

Jamaaliver wrote:At least Okongwu had a breakout series against MIAMI. The kid does not back down.

Trae and OO stay. Those are the only givens for me. Tough game for us tonight. Not over yet though. Regroup and come out hitting on Tuesday.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#22 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:10 pm

The team looked so good right up until they went back to the starters in the second quarter. I was thinking this series will be tied up. Then the 3rd was a disaster. Almost looked like they gave up which this team would not do last playoff season. I really do not know what to say. I feel like if guys give up its usually because they feel like they are not in a position to win for whatever reason. Its a frustration. Do not take this to be Nate. It could be Nate but could also be other factors. If they want to win game 5 they will have to find their fight again and take care of the darn ball. Too many turnovers. Too many long 3's with no Hawks near the rim to rebound. Too many empty possessions. When this team is in the bonus (rare) we should have the team driving to the hoop. Force the fouls. Don't ball them out with 40 foot chucks.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#23 » by D21 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:24 pm

I was afraid of two things before this game:
- hearing that Clint was questionnable, I was sure he would be playing, and that it was not necessary a good thing for this one.
They won without him on Friday, and I was afraid it would change too much to repaet the same thing.
They beat MIA in game3 playing small ball, this is how they cale back and took the lead, moving faster
- Oladipo playing : was pretty sure that he would be a problem with his energy
Result: MIA went +28pts in 20min with Oladipo

Now, Nate: John had one foul with 3min left in the first quarter. Nate made two changes, Bogi and Delon instead of Clint and Huerter, but left John as Center.
45s later, John takes his 2nd foul trying to get a charge that he should have got (was perfectly not moving and refs gave him a foul) and is replaced by Okongwu
Why not bringing in Okongwu 45s sooner and make him play C with John at PF ?

I can't stand Nate decisions like this one. And more than that, he doesn't look like the guy who saying "Believe" to the team anymore, he's not making them believe they can win anymore

The problem is not that this team is not good enough on potential, it's that they are playing far from their potential and were closer last season. They are not playing at all like last season playoffs.
Hunter had a good offensive game, but he finishes with the worst +/- of the team (-29).
How is that possible that the supposed best wing defender makes a good offensive game and finish with the worst +/- ?
because is not playing the same defense like last season

Now, with Clint and John playing injured, Trae has less options than he's used to, and it translate to being easier to guard
And with refs like that, it didn't help

Galloisdaman wrote:The team looked so good right up until they went back to the starters in the second quarter...

They were leading 35-29 when Oladipo started to play, Nate brought back John and Trae at 31-37 then Capela one minute later.
When Oladipo returned to the bench in the 3rd quarter, the score was 56-72
MIA made a 43-21 run with Oladipo on the floor
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#24 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:44 pm

D21 wrote:I was afraid of two things before this game:
- hearing that Clint was questionnable, I was sure he would be playing, and that it was not necessary a good thing for this one.
They won without him on Friday, and I was afraid it would change too much to repaet the same thing.
They beat MIA in game3 playing small ball, this is how they cale back and took the lead, moving faster

Now, Nate: John had one foul with 3min left in the first quarter. Nate made two changes, Bogi and Delon instead of Clint and Huerter, but left John as Center.
45s later, John takes his 2nd foul trying to get a charge that he should have got (was perfectly not moving and refs gave him a foul) and is replaced by Okongwu

I can't stand Nate decisions like this one. And more than that, he doesn't look like the guy who saying "Believe" to the team anymore, he's not making them believe they can win anymore

The problem is not that this team is not good enough on potential, it's that they are playing far from their potential and were closer last season. They are not playing at all like last season playoffs.
Hunter had a good offensive game, but he finishes with the worst +/- of the team (-29).
How is that possible that the supposed best wing defender makes a good offensive game and finish with the worst +/- ?

Galloisdaman wrote:The team looked so good right up until they went back to the starters in the second quarter...

They were leading 35-29 when Oladipo started to play, Nate brought back John and Trae at 31-37 then Capela one minute later.

To go from up 37-31 to down 72-56 is a massive collapse. I know you pointed out Oladipo coming in the game but what really caused such a momentum drop? I know Oliadipo had some good play but it wasn't only Oladipo in my opinion. I noticed the second unit was playing with energy playing inside and out but when we made substitutions we seemed like the car stalled on largely perimeter play.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#25 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm

I think if you look at the points off turnovers in the starting unit and add in a handful of empty possessions on long chucks you probably have a lot of the points difference in the game right there. Team really seemed to stop giving effort for some reason. Can't settle for everything outside. Go inside. Play some midrange. Second unit probably had more free throws in half the minutes because they went inside.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#26 » by D21 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:16 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
D21 wrote:I was afraid of two things before this game:

To go from up 37-31 to down 72-56 is a massive collapse. I know you pointed out Oladipo coming in the game but what really caused such a momentum drop? I know Oladipo had some good play but it wasn't only Oladipo in my opinion. I noticed the second unit was playing with energy playing inside and out but when we made substitutions we seemed like the car stalled on largely perimeter play.

It's not that I think Oladipo was the key by himself, but more that I was sure Nate had no plan in case he would play, as he didn't play the whole season, except that he looked to be in shape in the last game of regular season and able to play with energy.
Combined that with ATL starters of injured Clint and John, and Hunter having half the energy of last season, and we have a potential nightmare
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:05 am

I expected us to eventually turn things around this season but it never happened. This season has been a complete disappointment. I have enjoyed watching Trae Young develops his skills more but it wasn't enough for us to achieve success.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:07 am

Nate has no offense. He should have kept LP staff and not hired his son.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 am

This is Nate's offense for which we lack what we need.
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=16gZzMbFdt_Y7ay4pRr-pw

I complained about Nate's offensive system early in the season when we were leading the league in midrange shots and the mid 20's ranking in pace.
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=16gZzMbFdt_Y7ay4pRr-pw

Return to Atlanta Hawks