ImageImage

What direction do the Hawks go now? (Offseason Meditations)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What has been the Hawks best move this offseason?

Trading for Dejounte Murray
70%
Acquiring Justin Holliday
No votes
Drafting AJ Griffin
No votes
NOT Trading John Collins
30%

Total votes: 10

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

What direction do the Hawks go now? (Offseason Meditations) 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter

I think it's fair to ask the question now?

How does Atlanta get better? Should we:

• Clean house?
  • Get a new coach?
  • Craft new offensive schemes?
  • Sell the farm for a second 'star' player?

After this disappointing season and abysmal postseason, something has to give.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: What direction do the Hawks go now? (Offseason Meditations) 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:42 pm

The frustration from Trae is warranted. His teammates (outside of Bogdan) haven't been able to get it done. Part of this c an be attributed to injuries.

But are there any other adjustments that can be made?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#3 » by DirtybirdGA » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 pm

south. just like before.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#4 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:05 am

Play Game 5?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:16 am

Read on Twitter

Sitting back and doing nothing as the rest of the league upgraded their rosters and schemes set us up for failure.

We need to take a hard look at this roster and make some hard decisions.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,218

Post#6 » by twix2500 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:30 am

Trade Collins for Brogdon

Hawks needs guard play on both sides of the ball.

PG: Young
SG: Brogdon
SF: Bogdanovic
PF: Hunter
Ce: Capela

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#7 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:43 am

Zero chance we trade Collins for Brodgon. Unlike you headcases who come here from other fanbases and barely watch us. We know how good JC is and that he was 60% this postseason. He's normally extremely explosive and has elite hands. He had nothing athletically this postseason but we needed his mind and a body due to injuries. He gave us all he had even when it wasn't much.

Everyone legit knows what the Hawks need to do.

Get stars.

Primarly target Gobert or Ayton. Those should be our focus targets.

Check in for the all star level players like Ben Simmons, AD, or Siakam

See if someone like Oladipo would be interested in coming to Atlanta as we had interest in him, in the past.

This team has to add guys who have a much higher floor and they have to add someone who can create for themselves and for others but get touches as well.

The Hawks aren't far, they just ran into a great matchup to see where they are and they aren't close to contending. No need to rebuild the house.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#8 » by Buzzard » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:19 am

King Ken wrote:Zero chance we trade Collins for Brodgon. Unlike you headcases who come here from other fanbases and barely watch us. We know how good JC is and that he was 60% this postseason. He's normally extremely explosive and has elite hands. He had nothing athletically this postseason but we needed his mind and a body due to injuries. He gave us all he had even when it wasn't much.

Get stars.

See if someone like Oladipo would be interested in coming to Atlanta as we had interest in him, in the past.

This team has to add guys who have a much higher floor and they have to add someone who can create for themselves and for others but get touches as well.

The Hawks aren't far, they just ran into a great matchup to see where they are and they aren't close to contending. No need to rebuild the house.

I am not against trading anyone except Trae. I agree we need a 2nd star. But I also think Brogdan or any guard that can play both sides of the court would be beneficial. Our defense sucks and so did our offense in this series. Miami pretty much treated Trae like teams treated Giannis two seasons ago in the playoffs. They put a fence around him and would not let him get a layup or floater.

Got to fix the defense. Have to get Trae a 2nd star/scorer to ease those double and triple teams up.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,494

Post#9 » by dms269 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:15 pm

I think we really need to see what we could get for Collins this offseason. I am tired of this "just wait" with him. Just wait until he gets better usage...Just wait until he is actually healthy....Just wait until...

Maybe he just isn't a great fit for us.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#10 » by Spud2nique » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:19 pm

Cancun for now. Take some time off to clear the mind before thinking about next year.

NFL draft

Baseball (Braves champs baby repeat)

Fun in the sun.

Reevaluate in a month.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#11 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:52 pm

I think Trae also should look at himself. I thought this last season as well. Im not bashing him. He does a lot of good but he is the team leader. He doesn't play disciplined championship type ball. The careless turnovers, 40 foot shots with no Hawks under the rim, and badly timed techs are not how he will take the next step in to being a winner. He has to decide does he want a reputation like an Iverson or as a Curry.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#12 » by D21 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:05 pm

I really expected this season to be the one with a fully healthy roster, and the one that would let us know if there was some small things to change, and if Nate was able to coach the the way he did last season.

It was the opposite, and it would be hard to make totally legit judgment on anybody and better keep them all and see next season, especially as cutting Nate would not be the best way to get a better coach, but if I go a bit extreme:
- Nate was the one who has to bring creativity, energy, team game... and even in this context, he could have done better than that.
If a better coach is really interested in coaching ATL, go ahead and sign him
- if trades have to be done, Trae, Bogi, Hunter and Okongwu are the ones I would keep for sure, but I hope Trae will play differently starting next season now that this All-NBA selection won't be a factor for anything like this season.
And I'm about to hope that he won't get this All-NBA selection, costing less for the team in the future
jayu70
RealGM

Post#13 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:32 pm

I'm not calling for a firing but stuff like this leaves a very bad taste. Call a time out - THE SEASON IS ON THE LINE.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=SylEdj0BasLIZjjgcNrD_w
jayu70
RealGM

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:33 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I think Trae also should look at himself. I thought this last season as well. Im not bashing him. He does a lot of good but he is the team leader. He doesn't play disciplined championship type ball. The careless turnovers, 40 foot shots with no Hawks under the rim, and badly timed techs are not how he will take the next step in to being a winner. He has to decide does he want a reputation like an Iverson or as a Curry.

Trae's post game interview:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=Kjr-yfoShe12Om4L4V7J5w
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:20 am

Offseason Questions for the Hawks

Who is Onyeka Okongwu’s best frontcourt partner?
Spoiler:
Okongwu played an important role during the Hawks’ first-round series, as Clint Capela missed multiple games due to a knee injury. While Okongwu ultimately wasn’t impactful enough to change the course of the series, throughout the season and in the playoffs he flashed enough potential to be an important part of this team moving forward. It’s unclear how he slots into the frontcourt, however. Per Cleaning the Glass, the 6'9" Okongwu played 100% of his minutes at center this season. (He played a negligible three minutes with Capela.) In the 122 minutes that Okongwu played with Young and John Collins, the Hawks posted a minus-7.0 net rating, with a bad offense and actually passable defense. Okongwu vowed in his exit interview Wednesday he would return next season with a jump shot, which could actually have interesting ramifications for Atlanta.

Essentially, while the Okongwu-Collins pairing is exciting in theory, it didn’t deliver great results this season. Can the Hawks expect them to grow into a more formidable frontcourt duo? If Okongwu does actually turn into a bit of a shooter, pairing him with Capela—signed through 2025—intrigues me because it gives this team a really solid defensive frontcourt to protect Young. Asking Okongwu to become a good enough shooter in one offseason to maintain the team’s spacing will be a tall task, though.

What’s almost certainly likely to happen is Danilo Gallinari will not be brought back next season, because the Hawks can save nearly $16 million by releasing him before his contract fully guarantees. Figuring out how to best utilize Collins, Okongwu and Capela will be a delicate dance for the Hawks moving forward. While the Collins-Capela pairing has generally been good on both ends of the floor, Okongwu’s upside demands a bigger role.
Is De’Andre Hunter the second star?
Spoiler:
Hunter was probably Atlanta’s best player in the first round, leading the team in points per game as well as picking up the toughest defensive assignments every night. I’ve always been high on Hunter. He’s exactly what you look for in a modern wing—size, shooting and the ability to guard multiple positions. Injuries have probably held Hunter back more than anything. He missed most of the 2020–21 season and most of the playoffs that year as well. In ‘21–22, he missed another 29 games in the middle of the season.

If the Hawks want to move up a tier in the East, finding a second star—or even a secondary ball-handler—is going to become important. Booker has Chris Paul. The Jazz brought Mike Conley in for Donovan Mitchell. Even Luka Dončić is now flanked by Jalen Brunson and Spencer Dinwiddie. Especially with Young’s shooting prowess, there’s an opportunity for Atlanta’s offense to look much different if Nate McMillan had somebody else to initiate reliably. Imagine if Young moved around off the ball in a similar manner to Steph Curry? That’s an element missing from his game, and it could both make his life easier in a series like the one against the Heat and generate even more open looks for the Hawks’ cadre of shooters. Of course, Curry is one of one, and there are reasons not every star is committed to playing that way. And the Warriors also have one of the great facilitators in the league in Draymond Green. But in order for the Hawks to leverage Young’s shooting ability if he doesn’t have the ball in his hands, they need someone who can pick apart defenses in his own right.

If Hunter can become that guy trusted with the ball in his hands at the top of the key, that would greatly benefit Atlanta moving forward. What the Hawks’ first-round loss showed is this team needs more variety, because a great defense can significantly reduce Young’s impact. Hunter making a leap—and thus making the offense a little more egalitarian—would make Atlanta much more difficult to stop than simply slowing down Young. Though Hunter has largely been a spot-up player with the Hawks, he showed in this series he can do a little more with the ball in his hands. Having a less Young-centric offense the team can go to when the situation calls for it is something Atlanta definitely needs to be prepared for next season.
What does Trae Young do About his Defense?
Spoiler:
Young had a rough series on both ends of the floor against Miami. Offensively, he was stifled, finishing with more turnovers than field goals made over the course of five games. Defensively, the Heat constantly involved him in actions on and off the ball. And because Atlanta tries its hardest to keep Young from getting switched (remember when P.J. Tucker caught him in the post?), the Hawks often give up open looks elsewhere while trying to help Young. During the regular season, Atlanta finished with the fifth-worst defense in the league, though it was a little better on that end of the floor after the All-Star break. All of the team’s struggles can’t be placed on Young. At the same time, in a playoff series in which opposing coaches can zero in on him—and have the players to do so—it becomes a tricky situation for the Hawks.

Young’s size is probably going to prevent him from being a true stopper or high-impact defensive player. Even getting him to something like average would be a win, though. And we’ve seen perimeter stars go through this before. Opposing teams may still hunt Devin Booker, but he’s come a long way from early in his career to where he is now. Young may never become good enough to turn Atlanta into a switchable behemoth. He can still work on how he fights through screens, his off-ball awareness, and chasing players who move often in the halfcourt. An improvement on that end of the floor from Young would go a long way in how the Hawks stack up against some of the better teams in the East.
Sports Illustrated
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,218

Post#17 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:02 am

Buzzard wrote:
King Ken wrote:Zero chance we trade Collins for Brodgon. Unlike you headcases who come here from other fanbases and barely watch us. We know how good JC is and that he was 60% this postseason. He's normally extremely explosive and has elite hands. He had nothing athletically this postseason but we needed his mind and a body due to injuries. He gave us all he had even when it wasn't much.

Get stars.

I am not against trading anyone except Trae. I agree we need a 2nd star. But I also think Brogdan or any guard that can play both sides of the court would be beneficial. Our defense sucks and so did our offense in this series. Miami pretty much treated Trae like teams treated Giannis two seasons ago in the playoffs. They put a fence around him and would not let him get a layup or floater.

Got to fix the defense. Have to get Trae a 2nd star/scorer to ease those double and triple teams up.
Trading Collins is not because he is not good. Its about trading for a player who is a better fit and allowing Hunter to fill Collins role. The Hawks need defenders specifically on the perimeter who can defend pick n roll point guards. Brogdon is a great 3rd teir level star that complement Trae. He can score, ball handle and defend.

More moves need to be done but it would solidfy and glue together the starting lineup. When Trae sits you still have a high level point guard on the floor which is badly missed here. It also allows Trae to be more versatile on offense getting to play off the ball some.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:46 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
I hope we have CC with Trae for many years but I would like to see CC used more on offense. He needs a real dawg next to him at the 4.

Trae is truly just getting started.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:52 am

Read on Twitter

The Hawks started 4-9, and what was bizarre was how they were playing. There was no identity. They were settling for a steady stream of midrange jumpers — something this team wasn’t built to take advantage of. They weren’t trying hard enough defensively. De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish were heavily involved in the offense, but it was clear almost immediately that neither should have been. And Reddish, specifically, was a large reason the Hawks were so mediocre up until he was traded.

Reddish requested a trade this past offseason because he wanted a bigger role. Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk waited for a first-round pick in exchange to part with Reddish, who was drafted No. 10 overall in the 2019 draft, and traded him as soon as the Knicks offered him one. His teammates knew he wanted out and yet the team continued to play him even though he was a wild card every time he stepped out on the floor. He could drop 30 points, or he could badly miss multiple stepback jumpers and gamble for steals defensively. As one person inside the organization said earlier in the season, “Cam will be good once he learns how to play basketball.”

All of the analytics pointed to Reddish’s play actively hurting the Hawks, but he remained in the rotation. There was no mandate from the front office to play Reddish to increase his trade value. McMillan continued playing him, sources say, because he felt like if he didn’t, the team’s chemistry would’ve been negatively impacted. It was a bad read from McMillan. The Hawks were 15-19 when Reddish played this season and 28-20 without him.

That was just one of several mistakes McMillan made this season after taking over for the Hawks midway through last season. McMillan’s declaration in mid-March that Delon Wright was out of the rotation surprised sources. They pointed to how the Hawks were in need of better perimeter defenders and Wright was one of the few who were capable of consistently staying in front of guys, but McMillan instead opted for Williams, who wasn’t the spark plug he was last season. Because of injuries to Williams and Collins shortly after saying Wright was out of the rotation, he was once again back in the lineup. But it was another decision that caught many by surprise. Wright ended up being one of the best Hawks in the Miami series.

McMillan’s end-of-game coaching was another sore spot inside the organization. Several sources said there was an over-reliance on Young running the offense himself in late-game situations instead of McMillan drawing up plays. McMillan does have a tendency to let his players figure it out on the court — whether that’s with not calling timeouts to stop runs or with the Hawks playing through the flow of the offense and what he sometimes calls “random play.” The Hawks finished the regular season with a minus-8.8 net rating in clutch time, what the NBA considers games within five points and under five minutes.

When speaking about potential playoff matchups for the Hawks a few weeks ago, one source inside the organization mentioned how the Heat were a bad matchup for Atlanta. When asked why, he said he thought the gap between Erik Spoelstra and McMillan was too wide. Spoelstra is known as one of the best in-game tacticians in the NBA, and that showed itself with how the Heat neutralized Young and how the Hawks couldn’t figure anything out to get him going.

Lloyd Pierce was fired last season because he lost the locker room, and mainly Young. One source was asked after Tuesday’s Game 5 loss if McMillan had support in the locker room this season and if he felt like the players believed in their coach; he just laughed. As of a few days ago, McMillan’s job security was not in question. The manner in which the Hawks lost could change opinions, but that remains unclear right now. This series was another reminder, though, of McMillan’s lack of playoff success. In his 18 seasons, he’s only advanced out of the first round twice: last season and in 2005 with the Seattle SuperSonics.

Where McMillan falls short in many people’s eyes is his rigidity, particularly when it comes to experimenting even if the status quo isn’t working. Rookie Jalen Johnson only received 120 minutes this season, as McMillan was adamant about how the Hawks were out of the development stage. Johnson is certainly raw but teams — even good ones — figure out ways to find playing time for rookies. Instead, he played the 74th-most minutes out of all rookies this season. Different lineup combinations that work well, like Kevin Huerter and Bogdan Bogdanovic together, aren’t used often enough. Lineup combinations that don’t work well, like any you’d like to name involving Reddish, were used too much.

As one source said after Game 5, “McMillan’s unimaginative, and when things aren’t going to plan, it’s hard to make an adjustment.”

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#20 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:22 am

Draft right down the pike. I prefer bpa usually but this go around is best defender available. I'm assuming we'll have all exceptions for FA. If we own bird rights for Wright, sign him. If not, maybe he'd accept one of the lower exceptions.

Here are the UFA's of note that may make sense:

Robert Covington
Kyle Anderson
TJ Warren
Kendrick Nunn
Gary Harris
Bruce Brown
Tyus Jones
Victor Oladipo
Gary Payton II

Return to Atlanta Hawks