ImageImage

What direction do the Hawks go now? (Offseason Meditations)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What has been the Hawks best move this offseason?

Trading for Dejounte Murray
70%
Acquiring Justin Holliday
No votes
Drafting AJ Griffin
No votes
NOT Trading John Collins
30%

Total votes: 10

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Re: What direction do the Hawks go now? (Offseason Meditations) 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:15 pm

Chris Kirchner wrote:Where the Hawks go from here will be interesting to follow this offseason. A shakeup has to be coming. The East improved this season, and the Hawks didn’t. The clearest way Atlanta will look to improve is through a trade. Collins has to be considered the likeliest person to move, because the Hawks just don’t have high-level trade pieces to dramatically improve the roster. It’s Collins or Capela, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see both elsewhere, even though they’re each meaningful players for the Hawks.
The Athletic
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,916

Post#22 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:20 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Draft right down the pike. I prefer bpa usually but this go around is best defender available. I'm assuming we'll have all exceptions for FA. If we own bird rights for Wright, sign him. If not, maybe he'd accept one of the lower exceptions.

Here are the UFA's of note that may make sense:

Robert Covington
Kyle Anderson
TJ Warren
Kendrick Nunn
Gary Harris
Bruce Brown
Tyus Jones
Victor Oladipo
Gary Payton II

Robert Covington - maybe
Kyle Anderson - yes
TJ Warren - injured all year
Kendrick Nunn - injured all year
Gary Harris - yes
Bruce Brown - yes
Tyus Jones - yes, wanted us to trade for him before we got Delon
Victor Oladipo - don't trust his health
Gary Payton II - yes
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:45 pm

Mark Bradley wrote:At issue now: Which are the real Hawks – the team that won 10 playoff games in 2021 or the team that won once in its only playoff series of 2022? A year ago, Trae Young seemed capable of anything; in this series, he averaged 15.4 points on 31.4% shooting. He made eight more turnovers than hoops. The Hawks were outscored by 58 points with their All-Star on the court.

For the Hawks to win, they have to prevail in a shootout. Counting play-ins and playoffs, the Hawks were 1-17 in games when they didn’t break 100 points. In this Round 1, they were outscored by 60 points over five games. The Heat led by at least 16 points in every game; the Hawks managed a double-figure lead only in the game they won.

The best teams have multiple ways to win. The Hawks have one way. Maybe we should have seen it a year ago, when they were 0-3 in playoff games when they didn’t hit triple figures, but we see it now.
AJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#25 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Mark Bradley wrote:At issue now: Which are the real Hawks – the team that won 10 playoff games in 2021 or the team that won once in its only playoff series of 2022? A year ago, Trae Young seemed capable of anything; in this series, he averaged 15.4 points on 31.4% shooting. He made eight more turnovers than hoops. The Hawks were outscored by 58 points with their All-Star on the court.

For the Hawks to win, they have to prevail in a shootout. Counting play-ins and playoffs, the Hawks were 1-17 in games when they didn’t break 100 points. In this Round 1, they were outscored by 60 points over five games. The Heat led by at least 16 points in every game; the Hawks managed a double-figure lead only in the game they won.

The best teams have multiple ways to win. The Hawks have one way. Maybe we should have seen it a year ago, when they were 0-3 in playoff games when they didn’t hit triple figures, but we see it now.
AJC

For good or bad I do think a Trae led team is always going to come down to how Trae shoots (and takes care of the ball) because he dominates the ball so much. I think for Trae to win a ring he will have to learn to play a different style just like Jordan did. The me myself and Iverson style is very hard to win a ring playing. Harden played that style as well as anyone could for a few years but still could not win. I think Trae is a star player but not all star players play a style that wins rings. I think Trae can change. Others have changed and won.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
jayu70
RealGM

Post#26 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:37 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

AJC

For good or bad I do think a Trae led team is always going to come down to how Trae shoots (and takes care of the ball) because he dominates the ball so much. I think for Trae to win a ring he will have to learn to play a different style just like Jordan did. The me myself and Iverson style is very hard to win a ring playing. Harden played that style as well as anyone could for a few years but still could not win. I think Trae is a star player but not all star players play a style that wins rings. I think Trae can change. Others have changed and won.

It also requires that we have a player good enough to help Trae transition to playing differently.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#27 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:23 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote: AJC

It also requires that we have a player good enough to help Trae transition to playing differently.

Absolutely a supporting cast is important but that does not always have to be great scorers. Jordan started changing his game to get all his teammates involved without a great scorer near him. Pip eventually became a good scorer. Harden had some good players like Chris Paul but still dominated the ball at times. When the Nets with Kylie and Durant got Harden the first think Barkley said was there is only 1 ball. The problem in my eyes when 1 guy dominates the ball on any team is that the other guys end up standing around. Jimmy Butler is a top 10 player but most of Miami's guys are moving without the ball and nobody is dominating it. Trae could actually become a better player with the ball in his hands less imo.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:38 pm

1 Fix Every 2022 NBA Playoff Team Desperately Needs to Make

Atlanta Hawks: Absence of a Second Star

If the Atlanta Hawks don't want to look at last year's conference finals run as the high point of the Trae Young era, they have to get their All-Star point guard some help.

The Miami Heat are smothering Young, surrounding him with multiple bodies to force the ball out of his hands. It's a level of defensive single-mindedness that only pays off if the target's teammates can't capitalize against a scheme that, even when well-executed, leaves vulnerable spots to attack.

During the regular season, Bogdan Bogdanovic helped solve one of the Hawks' biggest problems by giving the team a dangerous offense in the minutes Young was on the bench. Atlanta put up 117.3 points per 100 possessions with Bogdanovic on the court and Young off.

That figure was down to 111.0 per 100 possesions through the Hawks' first four postseason games. In that span, Young was 20-of-57 from the field with as many assists, 24, as turnovers. Even if we're dealing with small samples, and though the Heat's defense is particularly ruthless, Atlanta has to know now that it needs another star—the kind who would stop opponents from trying anything so extreme against Young.
Bleacher Report
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#29 » by D21 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:13 am

I'm really not sure the main need is a second star, especially not sure if this second star is an offensive first.
Don't forget that even with lots of injuries, with a better coaching, they could have easily won 5 or 6 more games and never play MIA in the first round. But it was a good thing to be able what a defensive team can do.
Now, if Capela and Collins had been healthy, sure we would have talk about MIA defense, but not like that.
Game 2 (-3pts near the end of the game) might have been a W, even without that, Game5 would have been, even without Bogi... and they would have been at 2-3 or 3-2, just by having both big men healthy like MIA ones were.

If we need to manage Capela during the regular season to get him 100% healthy and with lots of energy once in playoffs, then we need more Okongwu playing, same for Collins with Johnson, and adding a big guy would be perfect.
As Capela and Okongwu are good defenders, it may even work to add a guy like Cousins, he would not bring good defense, but he could do some damage inside in a way that Capela and Okongwu are not doing.

They were good with Delon as PG, Trae on the floor or not, so work on it, and work on Trae game off the ball, this is a first need, more than a second star.

And the perfect thing would be to get a defensive guard with size, because they were torched one time every two game by the opponent SG.

It will not be possible to sign a big guy and a defensive SG, so trades may be needed, but it doesn't have to be for a star, which will come at the cost of depth problem, and as we are not the first target of good minimum veterans...

Now, just a thought: do GSW traded for a star ? no they developed their picks, and Hunter may be our Thompson (I'm not talking about his spot or his game).
If they need a second star, it would in a way show that Schlenk was not so good at the draft, or that the team is bad at developing young guys, which may need to be fixed.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:25 am

D21 wrote:I'm really not sure the main need is a second star, especially not sure if this second star is an offensive first.

Now, just a thought: do GSW traded for a star ? no they developed their picks, and Hunter may be our Thompson (I'm not talking about his spot or his game).
If they need a second star, it would in a way show that Schlenk was not so good at the draft, or that the team is bad at developing young guys, which may need to be fixed.

I'm pretty sure Golden State used a jump in the salary cap to sign Kevin Durant as their second star...

Chris Kirchner wrote:Atlanta needs a legit second option next to Trae Young

Atlanta has no answer for how Miami’s defense has guarded Young this series. Miami has made life as difficult as possible for Young. And when you watch each game, it’s understandable why he hasn’t been his usual dominant self. The Heat’s plan every game has been to take out Young and make him more of a facilitator than a scorer. If the Hawks haven’t been able to draw up a response to attacking the Heat’s defense, it’s not happening and it’ll be offseason homework for himself and the organization.

For the Hawks, with this roster, taking Young out of his groove is a death sentence. They just don’t have the go-to secondary option who can consistently break down defenses off the dribble and make them pay when Young doesn’t have the ball. They have one player who can consistently break down people off the dribble: Young. Look around in the other playoff matchups; the true contenders have multiple players who do this at a high level.

Not having a better No. 2 option for Young simply means the Hawks have to get either superhuman performances from their star every game or role players have to play above their talent level. Neither path is ideal for advancing deep into the postseason. The Hawks were fortunate last season to play a Knicks team that just wasn’t as talented as them and a Sixers team that mentally collapsed.

The real question now: how can the Hawks acquire said No. 2 option? This series has made it clear: Young needs an elite sidekick, and the Hawks have to be aggressive in getting him one. The Heat have provided the blueprint to beat this roster as currently constructed. Barring a stunning turn of events, we might be witnessing the end of this iteration of the Hawks in the coming days.
The Athletic
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#31 » by D21 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:45 am

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm pretty sure Golden State used a jump in the salary cap to sign Kevin Durant as their second star...

Right, but I was more talking about before KD, as they were good enough to win a title without him and still be contender without him.
KD at GSW was what we could consider the second step after getting first to the next step.

It's not that I don't want to add a star, just that I think the cost will make it loosing on several other points, and I'm not sure it would overall be a better thing.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#32 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:48 am

Regarding the front court. I think if not together, one of center or PF should be able to have a decent face up game to help the team out with creating.

Collins and Capela are so reliant on somebody feeding them it can really bog down the offense. Collins had a few drives from three where he pump faked, but he needs to work hard on that to make it make more sense.

JJ with his face up game is what can change the dynamic of our ceiling. Even OO already is better than both, let him get a good mid range jumper and see what it does.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:00 am

If the Jazz want to shake up their stagnant roster while remaining competitive, the obvious option is to trade one of their two stars, but not both. Gobert is only one season into a five-year, $205 million extension—but even as a flawed center with a big contract entering his 30s, the three-time All-Star should still attract suitors.

Charlotte and Atlanta both finished with top-10 offenses and bottom-10 defenses this season, and Gobert could single-handedly catapult them up the latter leaderboard. Charlotte, in particular, has a dire need for a capable center, while in Atlanta, Gobert and Trae Young would make for a fascinating pairing of players with functionally opposite skill sets.

But would this half-step be worth it for Utah? ...if Gobert leaves, this Jazz defense would likely crater. It’s not a perfect comparison, but Utah allowed 115.2 points per 100 possessions with Gobert off the court this year, according to Cleaning the Glass—a shade worse than the Hawks’ 26th-ranked defense. Atlanta [can't] challenge for a championship with such a porous defense...and neither can Utah.
The Ringer
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:38 am

I would like for us to pursue Eric Gordon.

$19,568,360
$20,917,902 -Team Option

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#35 » by jayu70 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:49 am

D21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'm pretty sure Golden State used a jump in the salary cap to sign Kevin Durant as their second star...

Right, but I was more talking about before KD, as they were good enough to win a title without him and still be contender without him.
KD at GSW was what we could consider the second step after getting first to the next step.

It's not that I don't want to add a star, just that I think the cost will make it loosing on several other points, and I'm not sure it would overall be a better thing.

Before KD, there was Andre Iguodala...a guy that was an 18/6/6 guy in his Philly days...a guy that could handle the ball, get his own shot and create for others and play defense.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#36 » by jayu70 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:11 am

jayu70 wrote:
D21 wrote:

Before KD, there was Andre Iguodala...a guy that was an 18/6/6 guy in his Philly days...a guy that could handle the ball, get his own shot and create for others and play defense.

If Hunter could develop into a CONSISTANT 18/6/6 guy we may have something there as a secondary creator. He'd have to have an offseason for the ages tightening up his handles and becoming a playmaker...tall order.
If he's gonna be our Klay, we would still need another ballhandler/offensive creator....we couldn't beat a simple full court press.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:25 pm

jayu70 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
D21 wrote:

If Hunter could develop into a CONSISTANT 18/6/6 guy we may have something there as a secondary creator. He'd have to have an offseason for the ages tightening up his handles and becoming a playmaker...tall order.
If he's gonna be our Klay, we would still need another ballhandler/offensive creator....we couldn't beat a simple full court press.
Yes, say he produces those numbers next season, and then he's due an extension. There are far to many what if's with the young roster we have. We need to move some of our young talent for players that are ready now. It doesn't need to be Hunter but I don't feel very confident Hunter will be more consistent next season before he's due an extension.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:28 pm

HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:If Hunter could develop into a CONSISTANT 18/6/6 guy we may have something there as a secondary creator. He'd have to have an offseason for the ages tightening up his handles and becoming a playmaker...tall order.

Yes, say he produces those numbers next season, and then he's due an extension. There are far to many what if's with the young roster we have. We need to move some of our young talent for players that are ready now. It doesn't need to be Hunter but I don't feel very confident Hunter will be more consistent next season before he's due an extension.

I'm actually hopeful we can negotiate a solid extension with D Hunter this summer because his value is so low. He'd get some security considering his injury history, we'd potentially get a discount on what we hope is an improving player.

I suspect Hunter might be willing to wait an additional year and gamble on himself, though.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:36 pm

NBA Twitter seems onboard with Hawks acquiring Gobert. Maybe TOO onboard.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm

The Starter each team could replace

Atlanta Hawks: John Collins

Yes, the Hawks just signed John Collins to a five-year, $125 million pact before the season, but they seemingly second-guessed the deal soon after it was signed. The two sides ironed out the contract in August, and by January, his name was already bouncing around the trade rumor mill.

The issue isn't Collins himself. He's a 24-year-old who's been good for 18.5 points and 8.7 rebounds since the start of 2018-19. In most situations, his age and ability might lock him into building-block status.

In Atlanta, though, his close-range finishing overlaps with starting center Clint Capela's skill set. While Collins can stretch the floor, he has never been a high-volume shooter. This season, just 27.3 percent of his field-goal attempts came from the perimeter, and that was a career high.

When the Hawks re-signed him, they were investing in young, ascending talent. Now, it's time to prioritize fit and team needs. While other clubs could covet Collins' finishing and glass-cleaning, Atlanta would elevate its roster by flipping him in a deal that brings back a dynamic wing defender who can create his own shot.
Bleacher Report

Return to Atlanta Hawks