C - Capela - Okongwu
PF - Collins - Johnson
SF - Hunter - Griffin
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Re: Welcome Dejounte Murray! 

Post#2 » by hawks_fan25 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:32 pm

What an amazing trade for us! I just kept thinking it was going to fall through or another team would swoop in. Pretty excited about this backcourt!
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#3 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 pm

I actually think Murray is overrated. I just hope McMillan gets him to understand that he is here for defense first.

A line of 17 points, 6 boards, 5 dimes, and 2 steals with great defense is a win for the Hawks.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Eric Bieniemy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:02 pm

When I say he's overrated, I mean he's not as good as last year's number's suggest. If he accepts a role that precludes him from future All-Star nods, he's exactly what this team needs.

The Hawks just need to cash in Collins and Huerter for a guy who can guard wings at an above average rate, and they'll be a different team, with a whole new identity.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,487

Post#5 » by dms269 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:31 pm

Eric Bieniemy wrote:When I say he's overrated, I mean he's not as good as last year's number's suggest. If he accepts a role that precludes him from future All-Star nods, he's exactly what this team needs.

The Hawks just need to cash in Collins and Huerter for a guy who can guard wings at an above average rate, and they'll be a different team, with a whole new identity.
Just curious at where this guy you are suggesting is gonna play?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 973

Post#6 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 pm

Was about as good of a deal that we can ask for. An All-star backcourt under 25 is refresing to see. I'm pumped to see Travis attacking the off-season the way he is. Change was needed last year, but he's making it happen now at least. Will be interesting to see what he does with Collins and I have to think 1 of Bogi or Huerter are on the move.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:31 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 pm

Is the model for these two coexisting what PHX has done with CP3 and Devin Booker?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#10 » by D21 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:18 am

Eric Bieniemy wrote:When I say he's overrated, I mean he's not as good as last year's number's suggest. If he accepts a role that precludes him from future All-Star nods, he's exactly what this team needs.

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Was about as good of a deal that we can ask for. An All-star backcourt under 25 is refresing to see. I'm pumped to see Travis attacking the off-season the way he is. Change was needed last year, but he's making it happen now at least. Will be interesting to see what he does with Collins and I have to think 1 of Bogi or Huerter are on the move.

I think the reality will be in between. If he's creating on offense, scoring a bit but not too much, and playing defense at the same level, it's a win. But if they both play to be All-Star more than winning, it won't be a big benefit. A benefit, yes, but smaller than if his role is well balanced between offense and defense.

It's not Trae or Murray not playing to win first that I fear, it's Nate ability to get the best out of it.

But what a good trade, keeping a lot of assets. It was time to use picks mainly for trades, because what's the point now to keep all picks, drafting guys, that our coach didn't use at all.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,124

Post#11 » by Darthlukey » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:20 am

Well done Hawks fans. I think you have done pretty well here. Not sure I love the price, but could have probably been talked into it. And if the Hawks remain at least a top 6 team in the east for the next 5 years, the cost becomes even more negligible
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Eric Bieniemy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:23 am

dms269 wrote:

Just curious at where this guy you are suggesting is gonna play?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

PG - Young - (Murray)
SG - Murray - Bogdonavic
C - Capela - Okongwu
PF - Hunter - Johnson
SF - xxxxxx - Griffin

Many here don't believe in Hunter playing PF. I'm not one of them.

I'm on record suggesting to move Collins and Huerter for Smart, Grant Williams, and Theis. Smart, although not nearly the ideal height for a wing, can play there and create a formidable defensive trio with Murray and Hunter. The presence of Williams would push Johnson out of the second unit.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 am

Read on Twitter
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Eric Bieniemy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:42 am

Egos could destroy this thing. Neither one of these guys can lead a team to a ring, but they'll still have to sacrfice a great deal to create the proper synergy. Not an easy task for two all-stars who believe they're good enough to be "max guys". Egos must be tamed, sacrifices must be made, and a defense-first culture must be installed for this team to over-achieve.

As I stated before, personnel-wise, the key will be who they procure for Collins/Huerter. They need one more dynamite defender on the wings, hopefully one with experience who can be a spiritual/emotional leader.

This team will need to be more Bad Boys Pistons than Curry Warriors, and the missing piece will need to be this team's Laimbeer/Mahorn (a defensive culture-setter). Acquiring Murray is not enough to change the soft defensive culture. They got a "Dumars", but they need a defensive stalwart who's nasty.

Smart or PJ Tucker fit the bill.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#15 » by D21 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:22 am

Getting Murray fixes the problem seen Vs MIA in the 1st round, but I still think that it was a clear problem, but not as much big as it really was, because Trae have less options than usual, with Capela and Collins being injured and playing slower, with less energy...

When they played small with both Delon and Trae as backcourt, and Okongwu as C, they were at their best and better than MIA, because there were more creation, and a higher speed. It's not possible to do that a whole game, but it shows that MIA defense on Trae was not a problem in this case

As this trade only cost Gallo, it's a bonus, and they might be fine like that, not doing any other trade, but I would still try to trade for Simmons and Turner (I would not trade for Simmons if there is no C able to shoot 3s in the roster) because Simmons can defend on a guy like Middleton, or Tatum, and we would not be forced to play Hunter all game on that mission.
Turner would allow to still have 4 guys shooting 3s, and can play PF with Okongwu when Simmons is on the bench

But again, I'm also OK with not doing anything more, because I always believed this roster, if fully healthy once in playoffs, can compete.
The thing I would not do is trading for Ayton. A lot think he was not used correctly by PHX and could be better here, but let's not forget that in reality, he had the second most FGA/game of PHX, at 1.5 times what Capela had here.
I don't like the cost in assets to send, and the salary he would get.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:25 am

The Hawks Make a Big Bet That Dejounte Murray Can Put Them Back In the Title Mix

Atlanta agrees to send a robust package to the Spurs in the hopes that Murray can be the perfect complement to Trae Young

Atlanta reportedly agreed Wednesday to trade Danilo Gallinari, three first-round picks, and a future pick swap for the Spurs guard Dejounte Murray. It’s a confident—and risky—win-now move for a franchise still searching for its first Finals trip since it played in St. Louis more than 60 years ago.

Murray, to start, is an excellent young player, and perhaps an even better fit next to Atlanta’s incumbent All-Star guard Trae Young. Murray has boosted his scoring average every season of his career, from a meager 3.4 points per game as a rookie all the way to 21.1 last season, and developed into an impressive all-around contributor along the way.

He was one of just two players in 2021-22, along with Luka Doncic, to average at least eight rebounds and eight assists per game. And he offers legitimate two-way value, too, as a former All-Defensive Team honoree and last season’s steals champion, with 2.0 thefts per game. By estimated plus-minus, one of the best public advanced stats, Murray rated 20th in the league in overall value.

Murray looks like an inversion of Young, his new backcourt partner. Both players ranked in the top five in the league in assists per game last season, but they otherwise dovetail with completely different, yet complementary, skill sets: Young is a big-time scorer (28.4 points per game last season) with deep shooting range but a tiny frame and immense defensive deficiencies, while Murray is a sturdy defender with a 6-foot-10 wingspan whose shooting inconsistencies (only 33 percent on 3-pointers over his career) are his greatest flaw.

Murray immediately becomes the Hawks’ second-best player behind Young, with considerable immediate and long-term upside. He has a higher floor than the Hawks’ mostly unproven youngsters, yet simultaneously a higher ceiling than the veterans who surround Young; at just 25 years old with two years remaining on his current contract, Murray has ample time to continue his growth.
Spoiler:
The most obvious area Murray improves the Hawks as they attempt to return to Eastern Conference contention is on defense, where Atlanta ranked a lowly 26th in efficiency last season. The Hawks couldn’t prevent opponents from penetrating, they couldn’t force teams into tough shots, and they couldn’t force turnovers. That’s an ugly combination, but Murray’s point-of-attack prowess will help.

And if coach Nate McMillan best utilizes Murray’s multifarious skill set, Young could benefit on offense, too. The only players in the league who spent more time on the ball than Young last season were Doncic and James Harden; over the last three seasons, Young’s ranked third, second, and first in average time of possession. Yet if Murray—who has plenty of high-caliber creative experience, tying for sixth in time of possession last season—can shoulder some of that responsibility, and if Young agrees to be engaged off the ball like Steph Curry, rather than Doncic or Harden, then the Hawks’ leading scorer could see his efficiency and opportunities improve, too.

That potential comes with a hefty cost, however. The Hawks sacrificed a future protected first-round pick from the Hornets, as well as up to three fully unprotected selections: their 2025 and 2027 first-rounders, and a 2026 pick swap. San Antonio’s selection of far-off future picks—rather than the Hawks’ 2023 or 2024 picks—is a bet from the Spurs that Atlanta might be a good team in the short term, but that it will faceplant at some point down the road. If that gamble pays off, even if it hasn’t often done so historically, this trade could prove a disaster for Atlanta.

Most trades involving unprotected picks—the Lakers’ deal for Anthony Davis, the Bucks’ for Jrue Holiday—involve teams with MVP-caliber superstars just one player away from a title. The Hawks aren’t yet at that height. The best way to prevent that possible outcome is to parlay the Young-Murray core into more wins, right away. Atlanta’s roster probably isn’t complete: Power forward John Collins and center Clint Capela both have been featured in trade rumors this offseason, as the Hawks seek a path to more playing time for youngster Onyeka Okongwu in place of one of their higher-paid big men.

But for now, even with Murray on board, the Hawks seem a step or two below the top teams in the East. The defense could still use even more zest, and the bench could become frightfully shallow depending on Atlanta’s next moves. Atlanta’s hope is that none of those concerns will matter. It hopes that Young and Murray can compensate for each other’s weaknesses and compound each other’s strengths, that the two All-Stars can jell and grow together and push the team back toward contention both next year and beyond, to the point where the Hawks won’t ever regret giving the Spurs added chances for top picks in half a decade.
Hawks president of basketball operations Travis Schlenk...went all-in Wednesday to form his version of Curry and a guard who can at least defend like Klay Thompson. Young and Murray are the Hawks’ backcourt of the present and future. But they’re not as extraordinary as Curry and Thompson, and the rest of the team isn’t at the Warriors’ level, either. After a rotten season, the Hawks clearly felt as if they needed a change. But it sure looks like a big risk for an uncertain reward.
The Ringer
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,916

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:34 am

My thoughts:

The way I see it - the Charlotte 23 1st was to dump Gallo's contract (which maybe 2 2 nds in 3 years). The 2 1sts for Murray. The unprotected 2025 pick is ok (adding protection forces us to potentially add years to what we owe and limit us in using other picks in trades). The picks swap, I'm ok with. I don't particularly like that 2027 unprotected pick, but what is does is forces the team to remain competitive - No tanking. Injuries happen, nothing to be done about it.

1. I think we kept our own 2023 1st and 2024 1st to possibly use in another trade

2. Or keep them to keep adding cheap talent over the next 2 years to build up the back of the bench. It gives us capital to trade between 2025-27 to stay competitive.

3. On the Trae Murray fit, not worried. We finally have some athleticism at SG, someone that can play above the rim. He can defend, rebound and pass. His shooting will need to improve. Hopefully Trae rubs off on him and he in turn rubs off on Trae on defense.

4. Very pleased that JC was not included in the deal from a VALUE perspective. We placed a value on him whatever that is and didn't budge from it. It shows around the league that we aren't just gonna give him away.

5. We can finally close the book on the Trae trade - we used that pick to get Cam, who we traded for the Charlotte pick that we used to get Murray. END/

6.I'm happy about this trade, now, it comes down to Nate and what he'll do on the coaching side.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:32 am

Dejounte Murray trade grades: Hawks get 'A' for pairing All-Star with Trae Young

The Hawks have one of the best backcourts in the league; the Spurs have a better chance at Victor Wembanyama

Murray, a late first-round pick back in 2016, is coming off the best season of his career, in which he led the league in steals and made the All-Star Game for the first time. He averaged 21.1 points, 8.3 rebounds, 9.2 assists and two steals, while shooting 46.2 percent from the field. All of those marks were career-highs. The Hawks will now pair him with Trae Young to form one of the best young backcourts in the league.

Hawks

Grade: A

To what extent the Hawks will be able to challenge the entrenched contenders at the top of the East remains to be seen -- and will depend on what other moves they make this summer -- but they are much better now than they were before the trade. Murray, who led the league in steals last season, is one of the best perimeter defenders around thanks in large part to his incredible 6-foot-10 wingspan. He'll be able to cover for some of Trae Young's issues on that side of the ball, and will single-handedly improve a Hawks defense that finished 26th in the league last season and allowed 113.7 points per 100 possessions.

Schlenk...has acquired one of the most versatile young guards in the league. Murray is a talented playmaker and is coming off his most efficient scoring season. It's worth noting, though, that he's best finishing around the rim or scoring from the mid-range, and shot just 32.7 percent from 3-point land last season. That brings up perhaps the most interesting aspect of the trade, which is that it would seem to necessitate Young playing off the ball more than he ever has in his career.

Young, who shot 48.1 percent on catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last season (albeit on just one per game), is more than capable of doing so. However, it will require a serious buy-in from a player who is used to having the ball in his hands more than just about anyone in the league. Plus, it will be interesting to see how that would affect the Hawks' offense. For all their defensive issues, they scored at will last season, finishing second in the league at 115.4 points per 100 possessions behind Young's potent pick-and-roll approach.

But for whatever growing pains there may be next season, this trade was a no-brainer for the Hawks. They got a 25-year-old All-Star on the rise for what will be a few late first-round picks if all goes to plan.
CBS Sports
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,916

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=PjF-OPEXNGvXvRsX03rnTQ
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:51 am

Atlanta Hawks acquire Dejounte Murray

Grade: A+

What an absolute heist by Travis Schlenk and company. Think about what they’re giving up for Murray, who is about the perfect, gettable guard a team would want alongside Trae Young. Murray can play on and off the ball. He can run the offense, or he can be someone who is a threat off the catch. He’s not a great outside shooter, but he’s very good at seeing the floor and knowing how to attack defenders closing out. He’s a menace in the middle of the floor and going to the hoop on offense.

One of the Hawks’ biggest problems has been that their offense is so Trae-centric at times. He has to be on the ball, and he’s rarely used off it. Adding Murray allows them to turn Young into more of an off-ball threat, which should lead to an even more dynamic offense. Yes, the Hawks posted good regular-season offensive statistics last year, but in the playoffs, they were highly predictable.

Murray is also one of the best defensive players in the NBA. He’s a terror at forcing turnovers, and he’s brilliant in the way he navigates screens, helps into the paint and recovers to the perimeter. He has good athleticism and impossibly long arms. The Hawks’ backcourt defense has been a real weakness, and while teams will still attack Young as much as possible, Murray helps make up for that. The Hawks can also stagger these two throughout the lineup and always have an All-Star guard on the floor.

... Schlenk has brought in the perfect complementary player to Young, and all it cost him were some picks and none of his key young players. Brilliant move.
The Athletic

Return to Atlanta Hawks