ImageImage

How can ATL best utilize the new Young-Murray backcourt?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Which backcourt is the best model for Trae and Dejounte?

Isaiah Tomas and Joe Dumars
38%
Eric Snow and Allen Iverson
15%
Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant
No votes
Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen
23%
Chris Paul and Devin Booker
23%

Total votes: 13

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Re: How can ATL best utilize the new Young-Murray backcourt? 

Post#161 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:56 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:I find it interesting that both our Hawks and CLEV boast two All-star level guards in VERY under-sized back courts and despite good team talent, both teams totally fizzled last playoffs

IDK if ATL fizzled. CLE definitely underwhelmed. Losing badly to a lower seeded, underwhelming NYK team despite having homecourt advantage.

Hawks at least stole a game in BOS and made Celtics sweat a bit after upending MIA in the play-in.

It's very different losing as the underdog (Hawks) vs being dominated by a team that is essentially your equal (Cavs).

Play in followed by a First round exit is a fizzle to me. However my point is not who lost the best but that two teams with two All-star or better level UNDER-SIZED guards does not seem to get it done
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#162 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#163 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:03 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#164 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:02 am

Et tu, KOC?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#165 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:51 pm

Is this accurate?!?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#166 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:21 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#167 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 3, 2023 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#168 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 4, 2023 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#169 » by jayu70 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 1:26 pm

Trae Young airs belief with Dejounte Murray to become NBA’s best backcourt combo.

In his recent appearance at Gil’s Arena, Young didn’t hold back noting his positive outlook about his continuing backcourt partnership with Dejounte Murray and the further guidance that Quin Snyder will instill in their special collaboration.

“For sure, like I think we can be special,” Young responded when asked if he and Murray can become the best backcourt tandem in the league. “For me, I don’t like necessarily talking about it; I’m like I’m doing it. It’s different for me talking about it, but I know we can be special. After going through a year, we knew it was gonna be some adjustment periods from both being point guards and both having ball in our hands a lot

“But we’ve been working, we’ve been talking. I think the thing about us is having Quin (Snyder), like he’s such a smart coach. When it comes to offense, it’s not gonna be the same. Since I’ve been in the league, it’s been a lot of just me and just pick-and-rollsThere’s a lot of new things that we’re going to add to our team and it may surprise people.”

Read on Twitter

https://www.talkbasket.net/169577-trae-young-airs-belief-with-dejounte-murray-to-become-leagues-best-backcourt-combo?amp=1

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#170 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 6, 2023 9:24 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#171 » by jayu70 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 2:54 pm

Let's Soar!!!
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#172 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:14 pm

Visual representation of the decline in DeJounte's defensive effectiveness.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#173 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 2, 2023 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#174 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:57 pm

NBA Star Pairings That Just Don't Work

The Young-Murray Backcourt

The Atlanta Hawks gave up 3-4 first-round picks last summer to the San Antonio Spurs for Dejounte Murray, who plays the same position as point guard Trae Young.

The notion made some sense, with Murray giving the team a second playmaker who could offset some of Young's defensive deficiencies.

In practice, the pairing wasn't necessarily bad. The team won fewer games than it expected (41) and lost in six games to the Boston Celtics in the first round. But the franchise went into this offseason telling competing franchises that it still believed in its core rotation (outside of moving big man John Collins, partly for financial flexibility).

Perhaps coach Quin Snyder, hired by the team in late February, can better utilize training camp and an entire season to integrate the two guards better. Young, in particular, needs to find a way to be more impactful off the ball.

Given what the team gave up to get Murray and his recent multi-year extension taking him through the 2027-28 season (player option on the final year), Young may be the odd man out if the franchise decides the backcourt pairing isn't a fit.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#175 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:10 pm

Seeing how effective a healthy Bogdan is gives me a greater appreciation for Travis Schlenk's vision.

It also makes me wonder if we'd be better off with Bogdan as starting SG, Huerter and AJ Griffin as his backups and still having the plethora of draft picks we moved for DJM at our disposal. :o

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#176 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#177 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#178 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:48 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
NBA Star Pairings That Just Don't Work

The Young-Murray Backcourt

The Atlanta Hawks gave up 3-4 first-round picks last summer to the San Antonio Spurs for Dejounte Murray, who plays the same position as point guard Trae Young.

The notion made some sense, with Murray giving the team a second playmaker who could offset some of Young's defensive deficiencies.

In practice, the pairing wasn't necessarily bad. The team won fewer games than it expected (41) and lost in six games to the Boston Celtics in the first round. But the franchise went into this offseason telling competing franchises that it still believed in its core rotation (outside of moving big man John Collins, partly for financial flexibility).

Perhaps coach Quin Snyder, hired by the team in late February, can better utilize training camp and an entire season to integrate the two guards better. Young, in particular, needs to find a way to be more impactful off the ball.

Given what the team gave up to get Murray and his recent multi-year extension taking him through the 2027-28 season (player option on the final year), Young may be the odd man out if the franchise decides the backcourt pairing isn't a fit.
Bleacher Report

I'm just visiting from the raps board, but isn't the entire hawks offense based around Trae Young? Like he gives them the #1 offense in the league when he's on and I think they're top 5 in the league the past two years on offence (regular season, just from what I remember). If that's the case why trade him and not DJ? You'd definitely get more back for Trae Young though.

I don't see it happening, though I can see why you'd trade Trae, especially if you believe a Trae Young lead offence can be somewhat neutered in a playoff setting.

Jamaal, thanks for all the great info regardless.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#179 » by D21 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:09 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:...
I don't see it happening, though I can see why you'd trade Trae, especially if you believe a Trae Young lead offence can be somewhat neutered in a playoff setting...

It was a problem that so many people (fans and staff) were convince that this team needed so much a second ball handler at All Star level to play SG, just because they got destroyed by MIA in 2022. Everybody took conclusions on Trae bad series, but forgetting that if Trae was also not so good, it was not only due to MIA defense, but also because of Capela and Collins being injured, and even Bogi too.
If they had been healthy, now way MIA would have stopped Trae like they did (I'm not saying ATL would have won the series, but it would never have been like that).

And one year later Vs BOS (and a trade for Murray), they were bad playing with both Trae and Murray, but were better the game where Murray was suspended... overall, the guys traded or in trade rumors had a better impact than the main guys

jayu70
RealGM

Post#180 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:20 pm

D21 wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:...
I don't see it happening, though I can see why you'd trade Trae, especially if you believe a Trae Young lead offence can be somewhat neutered in a playoff setting...

It was a problem that so many people (fans and staff) were convince that this team needed so much a second ball handler at All Star level to play SG, just because they got destroyed by MIA in 2022. Everybody took conclusions on Trae bad series, but forgetting that if Trae was also not so good, it was not only due to MIA defense, but also because of Capela and Collins being injured, and even Bogi too.
If they had been healthy, now way MIA would have stopped Trae like they did (I'm not saying ATL would have won the series, but it would never have been like that).

And one year later Vs BOS (and a trade for Murray), they were bad playing with both Trae and Murray, but were better the game where Murray was suspended... overall, the guys traded or in trade rumors had a better impact than the main guys

Part of what happened in the Heat series was also the inability of the frontcourt to make plays when Trae was trapped. Just weren't adept at running the offense for themselves or others. I get the concept of getting Trae off ball but like I said all last year, it has to be with purpose and intention to get him the ball back for CnS opportunities. So you need an actual system that does that as well as the requisite players to do so. Nate definitely wasn't it.
I'm hopeful that Quin can provide an offense that works.

Return to Atlanta Hawks