Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,523

Re: Hawks acquire Saddiq Bey at the Trade Deadline 

Post#41 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:48 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Dude is 6'7" and 215lbs. You want him to start as PF OMG

He makes an adequate stretch 4 when necessary.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:49 am

Kevin Pelton wrote:Image
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:58 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I really can't wait to see the new team

There really is a lot of talent and Bey is a great addition

Yeah, he is. His ability to stretch the floor is huge for a team that lost Gallo and Huerter in a single offseason (plus Bogi for the first 20+ games).

Read on Twitter
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,031

Post#44 » by tmorgan » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:45 am

Saddiq definitely does not weigh 215 pounds these days. Dude is an ox. Honestly, unless he changes course and loses a bunch of bulk (unlikely, he loves the gym), PF is the only place he might give you adequate defense.

Think PJ Tucker, but not old. That’s what you want out of Bey.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,046

Post#45 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:00 am

He needs more shot attempts than he's received so far. Our shooters have seemed to be expected to come off the bench and knock down their first couple of shots and if they don't they don't receive anymore attempts. It takes time to warm up after riding the bench.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 7, 2023 6:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:11 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,947

Post#48 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:36 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#50 » by jayu70 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:20 pm

Great pick up for the Hawks!
Read on Twitter
?s=20

“Each year I just feel like no matter what anybody says about us,  it’s like the expectation of myself to lead the team to the playoffs and try to win every game, no matter what the expectations are on the outside,” Bey said.
The Hawks would have a chance to beat the Heat, who knocked them out of last year’s playoffs, and punch a ticket into the Eastern Conference first round. Which also would mean Bey made good on that improbable promise to himself from six months ago.

“I never knew it was going to be like this,” Bey said. “I’m just glad to be here, it’s a blessing to be here. But yeah, I was up thinking about it all night. I tried to force myself to sleep, and I thought I hit my deep sleep, but then I’d toss and turn and wake up and it was like, ‘oh, I’m thinking about the playoffs again.’”

Bey and the Hawks are indeed on their way to the playoffs after they won, 116-105, over the Heat. Bey scored 17 points with six boards in 33 minutes off the bench. He normally takes the last bus to the arena before games, but this time he was on an earlier bus, too full of nervous energy to sit in his hotel room any longer.

The Hawks traded for Bey because they thought he could help them do what Young just said. He was one of a few key differences for Atlanta last night against the Heat, versus the Hawks’ first-round series loss to Miami from a year ago. He’s 6-7 and 215 pounds. He gives Atlanta another huge, athletic presence on the wing and he’s a 36-percent shooter from 3-point range for his career. Since joining the Hawks, he’s shooting the 3 at a 40-percent clip.

Snyder turned to Bey above starter De’Andre Hunter for most of the Play-In game, and Bey’s presence should help against a deep, dangerous Celtics team whose two best players (Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown) are wings.

“There’s a lot of singular players on a team, but the strength of this team is becoming even more of a team,” Snyder said, wearing his philosopher’s hat. “That’s what we want to do, and that’s what we want our play to demonstrate, and Saddiq does that. So sometimes guys that are like that, they can have an impact on the group. One of the things he does is he shoots, shoots 3s and that’s something … it’s not that there’s an obsession about 3s, but if you’re open, it’s a good shot. Sometimes giving yourself permission to do that, and he does that, which I think helps us.

“And the other is he plays hard,” Snyder continued. “You know he’s going to the offensive glass. He’s a competitive guy. And can never have too much of that.”

jayu70
RealGM

Post#51 » by jayu70 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I don't love the cost, but I'm really digging the acquisition we just made.

Still have issues with the cost having seen what Bey provides?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:35 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I don't love the cost, but I'm really digging the acquisition we just made.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#53 » by jayu70 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

creepy big face
:lol:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,046

Post#54 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:49 pm

We will look ro move some of our current Hawks for five or more second round picks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:26 pm

jayu70 wrote:

So I think the issue of cost is still a concern. Bringing in Bey is a good thing, but sending out years' worth of 2nd rounders to do so -- not awesome.

Similar to the cost of acquiring Dejounte, it mortgages a chunk of the future for a player that isn't really a difference maker in the short term.

In the past 9 months, we've shipped out 8+ future draft picks over a 5 year span...and we aren't a better team as a result.

And then Bey and Dejounte become our most expensive players, because we gave up draft capital to get them here, plus massive pay raises to keep them on the roster.

QUESTION TO PONDER: For the three 1st round picks and five 2nd round picks (plus Kevin Huerter) sent out recently, could that package have been used to acquire a bigger star than DJM & Bey?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#56 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 3, 2023 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Saddiq Bey’s case

Saddiq Bey’s new contract could be a lot closer to Stewart’s figure due to a similar amount of production in the same context of a rebuilding Pistons regime. Bey does play on the perimeter compared to the post-bound Stewart, of course, but there are significant questions about his defensive impact — ones that haven’t followed Okongwu.

Still, Bey is a valuable offensive piece due to his shooting and strong rebounding for his position. After being traded, Bey shot 40% from three on 7.2 attempts per game en route to a 60% true shooting percentage in the final 25 games with the Hawks. He also chipped in 6.1 defensive rebounds and 3.0 offensive rebounds per 100 possessions. This ability on the glass opens the door for him to see more minutes at power forward in the future, especially in the wake of John Collins’ departure.

Final predictions

Here are my ballpark numbers for the extensions should the sides reach an agreement:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323110

Saddiq Bey: Four years, $70 million
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#58 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:41 pm

NBA Intel: Contract Extension Predictions for 2020 NBA Draft Class

Saddiq Bey (No. 19 Pick from 2020)

At the deadline, the Hawks gave up multiple second-rounders to acquire Saddiq Bey from the Pistons. The 24-year-old forward took on a bench role in Atlanta, shooting a career-best 40 percent from three-point range (on five attempts per game).

Given how much the team already has invested in its roster, the pending negotiation with Okongwu and the addition of recent draft picks like AJ Griffin, Jalen Johnson and Kobe Bufkin—it's not entirely clear who the franchise considers a priority. At that right number, Bey could be a long-term piece.

Averages (25 games, seven starts in Atlanta—77 and 37 overall): 25.2 minutes, 11.6 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists—27.6, 13.8, 4.7, 1.5 overall

Closest comp: Another Kuzma comp, with Bey coming off the bench, providing double-digit scoring. Kuzma shot just 31.6 percent from deep before his extension with the Lakers—Bey can argue that he's the better floor spacer. Kuzma's $13 million (11.6 percent) would be $16.4 million in 2024-25.

Expectation: A $15 million starting figure for Bey could work, provided the Hawks have a clear plan with the depth chart.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089386-nba-intel-contract-extension-predictions-for-2020-nba-draft-class
jayu70
RealGM

Post#59 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:09 pm

Back in February after the trade it was reported that he was looking for a Deandre Hunter type deal from the Pistons.
ESPN's Jonathan Givony reported on The Lowe Post podcast (h/t RealGM) that Bey was seeking a lucrative extension for his next contract.

"I had heard he was asking for insane money this upcoming summer," Givony said. "That the feeling was he would need a De'Andre Hunter type contract in order to keep him. So if that's the case, to me he's closer to a midlevel guy than $20-plus million per year."

Hunter signed a four-year, $90 million extension with Atlanta before the start of the 2022-23 season. The extension kicks in beginning next season.

Latest:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#60 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:05 pm

No extension.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Atlanta Hawks