ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Trade Proposal Thread -- Part IV

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Re: Atlanta Hawks Trade Proposal Thread -- Part IV 

Post#81 » by D21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:11 am

CP War Hawks wrote:Turner is a pipe dream due to financial restraints, but Lopez fits the bill. He's the perfect backup for OO if they want to start him. Better percentage from range and rebounder than Turner.

??? Turner extension was front loaded with their remaining cap room, he's back to 21M next season and 20M the following one, how can it be a financial problem when Capela will make 21M and 23M the next two seasons?

By the way, ATL are at their place this season, 16th payroll
It was this season, after trading for Murray that they should have started to pay the Luxury Tax, and not trading Huerter just to avoid that. I just hope that Snyder made sure that Ressler is ready to pay it starting next season before signing his contract, which I think he did

jayu70 wrote:I don't think anyone foresaw the steep decline with JC's 3pt shooting coming - that really threw a wrench in things.

I see it coming from two things, and he's not totally responsible for that, it's more the staff:
- finger injury from last season, and not ordering to not play and get surgery as soon as possible
and/or
- taking more 3pts shots from the corner, while I always saw him as better 3pts shooter between the center and 45°
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#82 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:22 am

JC's shot attempts have declined since the 2018-2019 season. Besides his finger issue, what motivation does he have, since we've shopping him for three seasons (maybe four)?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collijo01.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#83 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:23 am

D21 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:Turner is a pipe dream due to financial restraints, but Lopez fits the bill. He's the perfect backup for OO if they want to start him. Better percentage from range and rebounder than Turner.

??? Turner extension was front loaded with their remaining cap room, he's back to 21M next season and 20M the following one, how can it be a financial problem when Capela will make 21M and 23M the next two seasons?

By the way, ATL are at their place this season, 16th payroll
It was this season, after trading for Murray that they should have started to pay the Luxury Tax, and not trading Huerter just to avoid that. I just hope that Snyder made sure that Ressler is ready to pay it starting next season before signing his contract, which I think he did

jayu70 wrote:I don't think anyone foresaw the steep decline with JC's 3pt shooting coming - that really threw a wrench in things.

I see it coming from two things, and he's not totally responsible for that, it's more the staff:
- finger injury from last season, and not ordering to not play and get surgery as soon as possible
and/or
- taking more 3pts shots from the corner, while I always saw him as better 3pts shooter between the center and 45°

So the Pacers are just going to give him to the Hawks? They are position to get premium value back. And yes, in part of the reason why the Hawks are in financial restraints is Capela's salary considering OO will be up for his payday soon among other guys on this team.
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#84 » by D21 » Tue May 2, 2023 12:53 am

CP War Hawks wrote:...And yes, in part of the reason why the Hawks are in financial restraints is Capela's salary considering OO will be up for his payday soon among other guys on this team.

It depends on what trades they do. If they were trading for Turner, it would mean that one of Capela/Okongwu would go out, so one main salary or one future extension would be deleted from Hawks payroll
Anyway, I was more thinking about that fact that they should have try to trade for Turner since last year, instead of trading for Murray.

I thought it was a bigger need, and that trading for Murray alone would not work more than leaving this team not better it was before.

And regarding the "financial restraints", if they swapping Capela for a C with almost the same salary should not be a problem, even with OO extension coming, because I'm sure one of the first thing Snyder did was getting confirmation that Ressler will pay the tax to build a contender team.
I just can't believe he would have signed here without this confirmation, and accept working with a team that stays around the 16th payroll in the league
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 3, 2023 7:59 pm

Atlanta Hawks Trade Idea

The Trade: John Collins and 2023 second-round pick (via Pelicans) to the Indiana Pacers for Buddy Hield and T.J. McConnell

The Atlanta Hawks showed enough fight against the second-seeded Boston Celtics for us to assume they'll avoid the demolition option of trading Trae Young. Still, their season underwhelmed in ways that could nudge the front office into action, perhaps the kind that finally morphs John Collins from a trade candidate into a trade participant.

Atlanta needs more scoring threats to take some heat off Young, and Buddy Hield's movement shooting could be a release valve. He is nearly unmatched as a quantity-plus-quality marksman. He has hit better than 260 triples in each of the past five seasons, splashing those long-range looks at a 40-percent clip.

Beyond Hield, though, Atlanta would also add T.J. McConnell and maybe finally avoid the pitfalls that have so often come when Young needs a breather. McConnell is a playmaker at both ends, consistently flashing sound decision-making on offense (career 5.0 assists per game against 1.6 turnovers) and boundless energy on defense.

Indiana, meanwhile, would fill a glaring hole at power forward with Collins, who, at age 25, is a much cleaner timeline fit with the 23-year-old Tyrese Haliburton than 30-somethings Hield and McConnell.
Bleacher Report
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by D21 » Thu May 4, 2023 6:31 am

Jamaaliver wrote:...
Indiana, meanwhile, would fill a glaring hole at power forward with Collins, who, at age 25, is a much cleaner timeline fit with the 23-year-old Tyrese Haliburton than 30-somethings Hield and McConnell

I'm not opposed to have Hield here, but ATL would still have to play with 2 Cs not able shooting 3s (unless OO improves a lot this summer), so I would certainly prefer to see 25 old years Collins + 26 years old Turner here than with IND

Or expanding the trade to something built on Collins+Capela for Turner+Hield
But the Capela/Turner swap is the main thing, because Collins, playing with Turner, would be totally free compared to what he got playing with Capela.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 4, 2023 2:41 pm

D21 wrote:I'm not opposed to have Hield here, but ATL would still have to play with 2 Cs not able shooting 3s (unless OO improves a lot this summer), so I would certainly prefer to see 25 old years Collins + 26 years old Turner here than with IND

But the Capela/Turner swap is the main thing, because Collins, playing with Turner, would be totally free compared to what he got playing with Capela.

You've been driving that 'Myles Turner to ATL' Train for a long time now. And while that is indeed a useful archetype (a center who blocks shots and hits threes) to have, Myles Turner as a player isn't really a difference maker...he's just okay. I think it'd be useful finding the next young, cheap Center capable of providing those same skills for less. Or developing an existing center into that archetype the way Milwaukee did with Brook Lopez.

Existing NBA options for that same archetype:

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Karl-Anthony Towns
  • Evan Mobley
  • Jaren Jackson Jr.
  • Christian Wood
  • Mo Bamba
  • Jalen Smith
  • Christian Koloko
  • Nick Richards
  • PJ Washington
  • Bol Bol
  • Walker Kessler
  • Drew Eubanks
  • Kelly Olynyk
  • Jusuf Nurkic

NOTE: With us changing the offense from a spread pick and roll based system to more of a movement based system, the 3-pt shooting center may not be a necessary aspect of our offensive attack anymore. Boston and Golden State both made the NBA Finals last year with defensive minded Centers who don't shoot threes.
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by D21 » Fri May 5, 2023 2:23 am

Jamaaliver wrote:You've been driving that 'Myles Turner to ATL' Train for a long time now. And while that is indeed a useful archetype (a center who blocks shots and hits threes) to have, Myles Turner as a player isn't really a difference maker...he's just okay...

Oh yes, it doesn't has to be him or nothing, it's just that he's the best example and that since the Ayton trade rumors last year, there were also rumors on Turner, and so he was the best example of something ATL should have tried.

And to be clear, I don't think HE would be the difference maker, I think playing with him or another player with same skills would help another Hawk turning into a difference maker, or several players being better and so improving the team.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#89 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri May 5, 2023 5:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
D21 wrote:I'm not opposed to have Hield here, but ATL would still have to play with 2 Cs not able shooting 3s (unless OO improves a lot this summer), so I would certainly prefer to see 25 old years Collins + 26 years old Turner here than with IND

You've been driving that 'Myles Turner to ATL' Train for a long time now. And while that is indeed a useful archetype (a center who blocks shots and hits threes) to have, Myles Turner as a player isn't really a difference maker...he's just okay. I think it'd be useful finding the next young, cheap Center capable of providing those same skills for less. Or developing an existing center into that archetype the way Milwaukee did with Brook Lopez.

Existing NBA options for that same archetype:

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Karl-Anthony Towns
  • Evan Mobley
  • Jaren Jackson Jr.
  • Christian Wood
  • Mo Bamba
  • Jalen Smith
  • Christian Koloko
  • Nick Richards
  • PJ Washington
  • Bol Bol
  • Walker Kessler
  • Drew Eubanks
  • Kelly Olynyk
  • Jusuf Nurkic

NOTE: With us changing the offense from a spread pick and roll based system to more of a movement based system, the 3-pt shooting center may not be a necessary aspect of our offensive attack anymore. Boston and Golden State both made the NBA Finals last year with defensive minded Centers who don't shoot threes.

Great list Jamaal. I'm dumbfounded by our team. Really playing under the talent level and development has been meh.

I'm hoping that QS can make a big difference but I think there is a problem with our front court. Capela is a difference maker on D but has nothing on O. I saw through JC's limitations about 3 years ago and his fall has been precipitous. At this point I'd rather see what OO and JJ can do

Trae and DM are another question. They didn't carry us anywhere this season and Trae seemed to regress. Heck, DM regressed from his last SAS season. Hunter....I just don't know.

I really hope that QS can pull some strings and put our talent to use. .500 and a first round exit are embarassing for this group
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by D21 » Sat May 6, 2023 4:47 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Capela is a difference maker on D but has nothing on O. I saw through JC's limitations about 3 years ago and his fall has been precipitous. At this point I'd rather see what OO and JJ can do

Trae and DM are another question. They didn't carry us anywhere this season and Trae seemed to regress. Heck, DM regressed from his last SAS season. Hunter....I just don't know.

I really hope that QS can pull some strings and put our talent to use. .500 and a first round exit are embarassing for this group

JC's limitations depend on Capela, and the way the team plays:
- even with Capela, if he's included and gets 3pts shots from anywhere, instead of in the corner only, we saw that he's far better, and ends up with a one of the best net rating most of time
- if they played with a C able to spread the floor, JC would benefit from that to attack the rim

So he's absolutely not a trade priority. Can we get a better option, yes, but better fix the main problems first, and let him play in a new roster/system, and he will have more trade value than right now

Regarding Trae/Murray, I don't understand how he's now part of a fuller roster than SAS, but takes more shots than with SAS.
It's just insane, this team already had a ball dominant PG, and they add more shots taken from the backcourt... stupid, just stupid. Offense easy to read, loss of confidence for the frontcourt as they get less touches,... it's always better to have your two main offensive players with one in the backcourt and one in the frontcourt.

I just hope that Snyder will take the decisions, because it was clear that Trae wanted Capela to stay here, and wanted Murray (playing out of natural position and not able to defend on SG like he was doing on PG in SAS), and they both are bad choices if you build around Trae
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#91 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat May 6, 2023 7:48 am

D21 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:Capela is a difference maker on D but has nothing on O. I saw through JC's limitations about 3 years ago and his fall has been precipitous. At this point I'd rather see what OO and JJ can do

JC's limitations depend on Capela, and the way the team plays:
- even with Capela, if he's included and gets 3pts shots from anywhere, instead of in the corner only, we saw that he's far better, and ends up with a one of the best net rating most of time
- if they played with a C able to spread the floor, JC would benefit from that to attack the rim

So he's absolutely not a trade priority. Can we get a better option, yes, but better fix the main problems first, and let him play in a new roster/system, and he will have more trade value than right now

Regarding Trae/Murray, I don't understand how he's now part of a fuller roster than SAS, but takes more shots than with SAS.
It's just insane, this team already had a ball dominant PG, and they add more shots taken from the backcourt... stupid, just stupid. Offense easy to read, loss of confidence for the frontcourt as they get less touches,... it's always better to have your two main offensive players with one in the backcourt and one in the frontcourt.

I just hope that Snyder will take the decisions, because it was clear that Trae wanted Capela to stay here, and wanted Murray (playing out of natural position and not able to defend on SG like he was doing on PG in SAS), and they both are bad choices if you build around Trae

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Especially the part about needing a better big. I am not a believer in JC. Too many years of decline. Not big or strong enough on D and almost no inside offense. At least Capela brings it on defense, but at this point I'd be willing to trade both of our bigs and try to find a big that can D and has some inside-outside to his game on O

I think that QS will put guys in the role that he wants them to play on the team. When he gets DM and Trae playing the right way, they become a very good back court. Hunter should be salvageable, but those handles though....

I know that you want Turner. I want a Markannen or Sabonis... In any case we need more O from the front court. I also agree that DM is much better at PG than SG... Maybe Jamaal is right about including him in a deal
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#92 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat May 6, 2023 8:06 am

Just playing around with trade ideas:

I don't want to trade Trae, but a Trae for KAT and a JC for Heild and TJ McC would make for an interesting roster

Murray / TJ MaC
Heild / AJ Griff / Bog
Hunter / Bog / JJ
KAT / Bey / JJ
Cap / OO

Not saying these are the deals...just brainstorming
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#93 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat May 6, 2023 8:36 am

Another idea that intrigues me is CC for WCJ and Bol Bol...
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#94 » by King Ken » Sun May 7, 2023 12:34 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Just playing around with trade ideas:

I don't want to trade Trae, but a Trae for KAT and a JC for Heild and TJ McC would make for an interesting roster

Murray / TJ MaC
Heild / AJ Griff / Bog
Hunter / Bog / JJ
KAT / Bey / JJ
Cap / OO

There is no interest in trading Trae, especially for KAT and his contract.

Same for JC for Hield. If there is a trade that makes sense with IND for JC, it's Theis. IND has a lot of cap space and Theis is more valuable to our needs than Hield by a mile.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#95 » by HMFFL » Sun May 7, 2023 3:05 pm

Murray / TJ MaC
Heild / AJ Griff / Bog
Hunter / Bog / JJ
KAT / Bey / JJ
Cap / OO

Looks like an automatic lottery team. KAT is weak!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 7, 2023 5:48 pm

HMFFL wrote:

Murray / TJ MaC
Heild / AJ Griff / Bog
Hunter / Bog / JJ
KAT / Bey / JJ
Cap / OO

Looks like an automatic lottery team. KAT is weak!

Yeah, that's a worse team than the one that just lost in the playoffs to Denver.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#97 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun May 7, 2023 6:48 pm

I mentioned that I was just throwing ish out there. Just a reminder that our current team struggled to play .500 the last two seasons and easy first round elimination. I said that I don't want to trade Trae. Just getting my early offseason arm chair GMing warmed up

What you got? Easy to talk change but let's see what you got
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#98 » by jayu70 » Sun May 7, 2023 7:13 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I mentioned that I was just throwing ish out there. Just a reminder that our current team struggled to play .500 the last two seasons and easy first round elimination. I said that I don't want to trade Trae. Just getting my early offseason arm chair GMing warmed up

What you got? Easy to talk change but let's see what you got

You want to ADD to Trae. If you are moving players like Murray, Collins, Hunter etc....you want upgrades.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#99 » by jayu70 » Sun May 14, 2023 2:39 pm

Capela to Houston for Garuba and #20. How far can we move up in draft with #15 and #20?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#100 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:11 am

It looks like Ja Morant is turning into a Deshaun Watson type of situation. I don't know if both sides want to research a Trae for Ja deal?

Return to Atlanta Hawks