ImageImage

Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Which personnel do we think Quin will keep next season? 

Post#61 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 5, 2023 6:48 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:So you're expecting a consolidation trade involving one or more of the FC players and DM? That would need to bring in a top player. Who you thinking? Brown? Do we want to make the same mistake as Dallas and send out all our depth for a top player? Didn't work for them

I think that we need to shake thigs up with more lateral moves, maybe shave some payroll and let Coach do his thing next season

Dallas had a ton of issues with bringing in Kyrie.

• Doing it midseason with no training camp.
  • Having no perimeter defenders.
  • Luka's ball dominance not meshing with a primary ballhandler in Kyrie.
  • Jason Kidd not knowing how to run a competent offense.

DM and Trae weren't disastrous this season. But it clearly isn't a perfect fit. I would at least consider a DM trade this summer, because the alternative is to pay $30+ million to keep Dejounte Murray long term.

That sounds horrible.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,034

Post#62 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri May 5, 2023 6:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:So you're expecting a consolidation trade involving one or more of the FC players and DM? That would need to bring in a top player. Who you thinking? Brown? Do we want to make the same mistake as Dallas and send out all our depth for a top player? Didn't work for them

I think that we need to shake thigs up with more lateral moves, maybe shave some payroll and let Coach do his thing next season

Dallas had a ton of issues with bringing in Kyrie.

• Doing it midseason with no training camp.
  • Having no perimeter defenders.
  • Luka's ball dominance not meshing with a primary ballhandler in Kyrie.
  • Jason Kidd not knowing how to run a competent offense.

DM and Trae weren't disastrous this season. But it clearly isn't a perfect fit. I would at least consider a DM trade this summer, because the alternative is to pay $30+ million to keep Dejounte Murray long term.

That sounds horrible.

I think that they're all over paid, but you got to play the game. DM is easily the second best player on the team. If you trade him and especially if you package him with other/s you better bring back a new #1
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#63 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 5, 2023 7:12 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I think that they're all over paid, but you got to play the game. DM is easily the second best player on the team.

If you trade him and especially if you package him with other/s you better bring back a new #1

That is the goal. To package enough second tier talents (and draft picks) to take a damaged/disgruntled #1 option from a rebuilding team.

And we've seen it happen a lot in recent years. (Harden, Durant, Kyrie, Butler, Kawhi, Paul George, Donovan Mitchell)
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#64 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat May 6, 2023 7:38 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:I think that they're all over paid, but you got to play the game. DM is easily the second best player on the team.

If you trade him and especially if you package him with other/s you better bring back a new #1

That is the goal. To package enough second tier talents (and draft picks) to take a damaged/disgruntled #1 option from a rebuilding team.

And we've seen it happen a lot in recent years. (Harden, Durant, Kyrie, Butler, Kawhi, Paul George, Donovan Mitchell)

You forgot Gobert and even Murray. Two of the three big trades from last offseason

Got to be very careful with all in trades. Not very long ago you were banging the table to ship out a bunch of talent for Ben Simmons...

I really think that it's preferable to have some depth. Look at the Lakers. They were dead until they made the trade and brought in some depth. Relying on two guys to carry a weak roster seems to not be the solution anymore

I prefer to make smaller moves and to try to hit on a Markannen or Sabonis type thing where you get a big upgrade without trading half the team
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#65 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat May 6, 2023 1:13 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
I prefer to make smaller moves and to try to hit on a Markannen or Sabonis type thing where you get a big upgrade without trading half the team

This typically requires a "Donovan Mitchell" or "Paul George" type player to be sent out though, and the closest thing we have to that is Trae. DJ is a solid player, but he barely got 3 FRP's. We probably should've kept our pick in '27, but it was probably warranted to get him over other teams offers.

We're operating at a sunk cost with DJ, and that's fine. We needed a talent like him on the roster. Kevin Huerter just showed exactly why with his abysmall performance in the playoffs. So to Jamal's point, if we're trading DJ, we better be getting someone equal to or better than him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 8, 2023 12:46 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

You forgot Gobert and even Murray. Two of the three big trades from last offseason

Got to be very careful with all in trades. Not very long ago you were banging the table to ship out a bunch of talent for Ben Simmons...

I don't consider Gobert or Murray #1 options, and thus the issue with trading so much for them. Murray is a fake all star who's never made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Moving that much draft capital for him and then having to dedicate a quarter of our entire salary cap to re-sign him was an short sighted move that now prevents us from pursuing disgruntled superstars with those same draft picks.

And for the record, I'd still take a gamble on Ben Simmons. I just wouldn't pay much to get him.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Atlanta Hawks have been the team most engaged with the Philadelphia 76ers in recent weeks on a Ben Simmons trade, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The two sides have discussed a framework of John Collins, Bogdan Bogdanovic and draft compensation in exchange for Simmons.

Collins is in the first year of a five-year, $125 million deal with the Hawks. Bogdanovic is in Year 2 of a four-year, $72 million deal.
Simmons hasn't played all season after requesting a trade in the offseason.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic
2022 Trade Deadline
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#67 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon May 8, 2023 4:56 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I don't consider Gobert or Murray #1 options, and thus the issue with trading so much for them. Murray is a fake all star who's never made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Moving that much draft capital for him and then having to dedicate a quarter of our entire salary cap to re-sign him was an short sighted move that now prevents us from pursuing disgruntled superstars with those same draft picks.

And for the record, I'd still take a gamble on Ben Simmons. I just wouldn't pay much to get him.
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Atlanta Hawks have been the team most engaged with the Philadelphia 76ers in recent weeks on a Ben Simmons trade, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The two sides have discussed a framework of John Collins, Bogdan Bogdanovic and draft compensation in exchange for Simmons.

Collins is in the first year of a five-year, $125 million deal with the Hawks. Bogdanovic is in Year 2 of a four-year, $72 million deal.
Simmons hasn't played all season after requesting a trade in the offseason.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic
2022 Trade Deadline

Yeah! The price is likely down to a top 59 protected second round pick about now
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 8, 2023 5:19 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Yeah! The price is likely down to a top 59 protected second round pick about now

Bruh, I'd prolly demand they give us compensation.

:falloff:
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#69 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon May 8, 2023 5:24 pm

Easy for you guys to clown my proposals, but where is your superstar we about to trade for? and I'll remind all of ya'll that I said that I don't want to trade Trae
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#70 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 18, 2023 8:13 pm

Who gets the boot this summer?

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu May 18, 2023 11:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Who gets the boot this summer?

If it's not Collins, then we're just spinning wheels.

Depending on how much of a reshuffle, Hunter could be considered also.

I'd only look at a CC deal if we're considering a deal for like Ayton, Kat, or KP. About the only 3 I see availble that's worth going after.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#72 » by D21 » Fri May 19, 2023 2:56 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:

But it's the whole season, I would be curious to see only the last weeks when he started to shot better after working with Korver and getting a new coach... he was the one player with a stupid role on the floor for 60 games

Looking at the whole season stats when you played 60 games with a bad coach and 20 games with good but new one doesn't mean a lot

Playoffs:

Playoffs Net Rating:

At least, the real positive thing is that Bogi was the most important player in playoffs games, and he will only cost 16M/year :D
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri May 19, 2023 10:33 am

D21 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:

But it's the whole season, I would be curious to see only the last weeks when he started to shot better after working with Korver and getting a new coach... he was the one player with a stupid role on the floor for 60 games

Looking at the whole season stats when you played 60 games with a bad coach and 20 games with good but new one doesn't mean a lot

Playoffs:

Stat line didn't change much in those 26 games(Boston series included). No significant increase in efficiency. Overall production stayed about the same. He shot more 3's, and they dropped more often. Despite the uptick in percentage though, he's still as streaky as before. USG% was the same.

I think he actually played less minutes under Quinn than Nate to boot. So even if someone took the time to really analyze game tape to see the difference between the two coaches, I doubt we find anything really significant to suggest he's any different. Now I know some will point to CC and suggest he's taking away opportunities for rebounds and points, but isn't OO going to essentially do the same thing?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 19, 2023 12:47 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Now I know some will point to CC and suggest he's taking away opportunities for rebounds and points, but isn't OO going to essentially do the same thing?

The presumption is that if we ship out Capela for a non-starting Center, Okongwu becomes starter by default, Collins gets more minutes at backup C and Saddiq, Hunter, Jalen each get minutes at backup PF.

Also, Okongwu is at least a threat to pop from outside, so Collins could get more rim running opportunities even with him on the floor.

The risk is that neither Collins or OO has the size to compete against bigger centers like Embiid, Bam (or Poeltl?) on a regular basis.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 5, 2023 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#76 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 6, 2023 12:53 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Now I know some will point to CC and suggest he's taking away opportunities for rebounds and points, but isn't OO going to essentially do the same thing?

The presumption is that if we ship out Capela for a non-starting Center, Okongwu becomes starter by default, Collins gets more minutes at backup C and Saddiq, Hunter, Jalen each get minutes at backup PF.

Also, Okongwu is at least a threat to pop from outside, so Collins could get more rim running opportunities even with him on the floor.

The risk is that neither Collins or OO has the size to compete against bigger centers like Embiid, Bam (or Poeltl?) on a regular basis.

Say John Collins is no longer a Hawk by next season can any of our players be as productive as Collins was in the 19-20 season when he was only 22 years of age?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collijo01.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Jun 6, 2023 1:34 am

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Say John Collins is no longer a Hawk by next season can any of our players be as productive as Collins was in the 19-20 season when he was only 22 years of age?

Productive in what way? Scoring 20/10 or providing a real impact beyond just raw counting stats? I'd argue Jalen Johnson could be more impactful with less raw stats.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#78 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 6, 2023 2:21 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Say John Collins is no longer a Hawk by next season can any of our players be as productive as Collins was in the 19-20 season when he was only 22 years of age?

Productive in what way? Scoring 20/10 or providing a real impact beyond just raw counting stats? I'd argue Jalen Johnson could be more impactful with less raw stats.

This is a brilliant question, H.

The easy answer is Okongwu. Kid is on the verge of a major breakthrough. His defense is sublime, providing us with non statistical impact in a key area. And we've already seen him expand his game out to the 3-pt line, putting him in position to increase his scoring pretty drastically.

But, again, that's too easy. I'm going with Saddiq Bey. Contract year. Best of coach of his pro career. And if JC were to be moved, Bey would likely be the recipient of most of the minutes -- whether as starter or off the bench.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#79 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 6, 2023 10:50 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Rather you believe it was impactful, or not, it was still impressive for a 22 year old. I don't believe Jalen Johnson comes close to John's numbers before he turns 23 years old.

Onyeka Okongwu should have already been given more minutes but now that he's 22 years old we will see what's in store for him in his forth season. OO was the 6th pick compared to Collins at 19th pick SK we will see what happens.

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jun 7, 2023 2:20 am

HMFFL wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Rather you believe it was impactful, or not, it was still impressive for a 22 year old. I don't believe Jalen Johnson comes close to John's numbers before he turns 23 years old.

Onyeka Okongwu should have already been given more minutes but now that he's 22 years old we will see what's in store for him in his forth season. OO was the 6th pick compared to Collins at 19th pick SK we will see what happens.

With so much advanced data now, just raw numbers isn't impressive anymore. Al Jefferson use to seem pretty impressive until you realized he wasn't doing anything other than taking up all the shots on offense and not creating for others. Kevin Love at age 22 had a similar USG% at age that Collins did, less efficiency, and still produce 11.4 WS's for a 17 win team. Now that's impressive when you consider the raw numbers he had of 20/15 with the same number of FGA's.

Return to Atlanta Hawks