It's Draft Day!!! (2023 edition)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 982

Re: It's Draft Day!!! (2023 edition) 

Post#41 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:58 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Meh. I would've just taken Nick Smith Jr or Jalen Hood-Schifiano. Feels like Bogi will be on the move though with Bufkin. Microwave type scorer.

Bogi?!?

I'm thinking DeJounte might be gone sooner than later.

I say Bogi because of his contract. Teams will likely be more willing to take on Bogi as a cheap, shooter off the bench vs giving up value for a year of Murray. The time to trade Murray would've been tonight. Siakam has made it known he likely wouldn't re-sign if he is traded. Unless we're using Murray to help land a bigger name soon, I doubt we trade him this year. Barring an All NBA team performance year, I think Murray will fall short of reaching near max money with the way the CBA is structured now. So I think we'll take a shot to sign him for less.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,524

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:10 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:I say Bogi because of his contract. Teams will likely be more willing to take on Bogi as a cheap, shooter off the bench vs giving up value for a year of Murray. The time to trade Murray would've been tonight. Siakam has made it known he likely wouldn't re-sign if he is traded. Unless we're using Murray to help land a bigger name soon, I doubt we trade him this year. Barring an All NBA team performance year, I think Murray will fall short of reaching near max money with the way the CBA is structured now. So I think we'll take a shot to sign him for less.

Just seems like if we wanted to trade Bogi, we would have done so at the trade deadline.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:42 am

What do you guys think about Miami passing on Cam Whitmore in favor of Jaime Jaquez?

It's either a brilliant gamble on Heat culture...or a stupid move by an arrogant old man.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:48 am

Man, lots of young dudes in this draft class crying at the draft. Like ugly tears, crying.

Leonard Miller wept onstage on the Deputy Commissioner's shoulder for like 90 seconds.

Felt
Eternity

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,948

Post#45 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:49 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Man, lots of young dudes in this draft class crying at the draft. Like ugly tears, crying.

Leonard Miller wept onstage on the Deputy Commissioner's shoulder for like 90 seconds.

Felt
Eternity

Read on Twitter

They are having their moment. Leave them be.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,604

Post#46 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:03 am

2nd round and TJD is still on the board, interesting......
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:06 am

With Max Lewis and Tristan Vuckevic off the board, I'm pulling for us to draft Trayce Jackson-Davis out of Indiana. An undersized big man with solid post game and great passing acumen.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:13 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jeremy Woo wrote:Post-Draft Analysis

Team context

After drafting Kobe Bufkin in the first round, the Hawks picked again at No. 46 overall.

Player fit
A strong combine performance solidified Lundy as a draftable prospect, combining an excellent shooting stroke with a strong build that should enable him to challenge for minutes off the bench with the Hawks. Shot-making is always at a premium, and he's viewed as one of the more proven shooters in the draft, making 40% from 3-point range on more than six attempts per game last season.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:15 am

Horrible that the Hawks didn't take TJD at 46
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#50 » by D21 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:22 am

I would have pick Ryan Rupert if still available, unfortunately, he was picked at 43th by POR... with one of the five 2nd round picks we sent for Bey
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#51 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:43 am

That's crazy, I'd considered Philips and Walsh great value vs Rupert who himself fell way past them... Ngl don't know much about Lundy but seems to be insurance just in case Bey doesn't extend.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#52 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 am

Interesting that we actually picked two second rounders. Better than selling them for nada. Hope it points to Snyder knowing how to use and develop his assets to the fullest
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#53 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:17 am

I like the looks of all three picks. Gueye is very smooth for 6'11" and can definately hit a jump shot. Lundy is a shooter on the wing and Bufkin was a BPA pick that looks a lot like Murray to me. Nice to add these three to the Hawk fam
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am

I love the measurements of Gueye but thats pretty much it. His game films are horrible, he looks like a poor man's Mo Bamba. Hopefully i'm wrong and he can become a lob threat for Trae.

Lundy is very average and a typical Hawks' pick, under whelming perimeter player with not much skill, and very average to below average college stats like Tyrese Martin, Skylar Mays, or Isaia Cordinier

Kobe is an okay pick, his ceiling could be DM or Jordan Poole and his game does fit into the new NBA era but there were like 3 other players that were drafted after him that I think will be slightly better than him.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#55 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:20 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I love the measurements of Gueye but thats pretty much it. His game films are horrible, he looks like a poor man's Mo Bamba. Hopefully i'm wrong and he can become a lob threat for Trae.

Lundy is very average and a typical Hawks' pick, under whelming perimeter player with not much skill, and very average to below average college stats like Tyrese Martin, Skylar Mays, or Isaia Cordinier

Kobe is an okay pick, his ceiling could be DM or Jordan Poole and his game does fit into the new NBA era but there were like 3 other players that were drafted after him that I think will be slightly better than him.

Not sure what game film you watched, but from the video I saw Gueye is NOT just a lob threat. He has dribbles and a jumper that will extend to three point. At nearly 7' that is some very nice potential. All that after only four years of playing Bball

As for Lundy, he looks like a role player pick. Nothing wrong with a sweet shooting wing role player at #46
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#56 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:00 pm

Didn't hear about the MG news until late. Obvious long term project that may not equate to much. Still has center length and only 20 years old. Excited for him to work with the new staff.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

Late into the night Thursday, the Hawks maneuvered in the draft to nab 6-foot-11 big man Mouhamed Gueye. Gueye grew up in Senegal and arrived late to organized basketball. Gueye is a new age big man with some ball-handling ability and a developing face up game; he has even shown some ability to step out and hit jump shots — including nailing 11 threes this season.

At Washington State, he was quickly entrenched as starter in his freshman season. In his sophomore season, he averaged 14.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 1.6 stocks (steals plus blocks) while shooting 49% from the field.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:43 pm

When I think of how/why we would have passed on a player with top-5 potential in Cam Whitmore, this quote sums it up for me.

Read on Twitter

I really like Kobe Bufkin, but taking a swing at a young player with star potential like CW could have been a game changer -- even just as trade bait.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:12 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I love the measurements of Gueye but thats pretty much it. His game films are horrible, he looks like a poor man's Mo Bamba. Hopefully i'm wrong and he can become a lob threat for Trae.

Not sure what game film you watched, but from the video I saw Gueye is NOT just a lob threat. He has dribbles and a jumper that will extend to three point. At nearly 7' that is some very nice potential. All that after only four years of playing Bball

As for Lundy, he looks like a role player pick. Nothing wrong with a sweet shooting wing role player at #46

Gueye has a broken jumpshot, elbow is wrong, shoulders and feet are never lined up properly. Like Mo Bamba he shoots threes in practice but in a game he struggles with his jumpshots and 3s.

Gueye's athleticism is just ok, i wish he had more quickness and explosiveness like what Josh or Dwight had. His athleticism is more on the same level as Lorenzen Wright.

His guard skills are not on the same level as GA or Jokic, but he tries, and he doesn't have the instincts or natural timing to block shots like Walker.

With that said, i like his measurements, so if he is a dawg in the gym and puts in the effort, maybe he can become an energy guy like Robert Williams or a lesser version of that.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:44 pm

Not a threat, but a promise...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks