ImageImage

A trade with Seattle anyone?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

A trade with Seattle anyone? 

Post#1 » by evildallas » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:39 am

Ok, this is a move to clear cap space in hopes of being able to pick up a key free agent in the off season by having more than the MLE to offer.

Zaza and
Shelden

for

Kurt Thomas

This year it should bolster our D and rebounding because although short Kurt Thomas is experienced at D'ing up big men and is a rebounding machine. Plus he's expiring. The 7.3M in savings next year should allow us to make a better than the MLE offer to a restricted free agent like Jose Calderon or Monta Ellis while keeping the Joshes.

Why for Seattle? Even with Thomas off the books next year Seattle will not have cap room. This move gives them 2 big bodies under reasonable contracts to fill roles and see if they blossom in different circumstances.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#2 » by D21 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:52 pm

Can we adjust it with adding Lue and Delonte West ? I find Zaza+Shelden value > KT so with West > expiring Lue...
It also works in trade checker.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#3 » by JoshB914 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:20 pm

Why would Seattle part with an expiring contract for two worse players that will also hurt their cap space?
evildallas
General Manager

Post#4 » by evildallas » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:46 pm

As I said, Seattle won't have cap space with or without them next season. Rookie deal cap holds have them over the cap next season regardless. This deal gives them players and assets to utilize next season when Zaza is expiring and Shelden could be depending on whether they pick up the option. It also gives them players that might excel in a different situation.

If the deal is expanded, which I think is a fine idea. I would expect some picks to be added in to make it more appealing to Seattle.

Zaza
Shelden
Ty Lue
2010 1st (lottery-protected)

for
Kurt Thomas
Delonte West
2008 2nd round (originally Denver's)

The cap hold on Delonte West messes a bit with my offseason plan, but it would definitely strengthen our playoff chances. I think the 2010 pick goes a long way to seal the deal for them.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#5 » by evildallas » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:59 pm

The more I think about it, the revised deal solves a lot for us. Delonte West improves are PG rotation and Kurt Thomas gives up interior D and rebounding to compliment Al (especially when he picks up quick fouls). We also would have an open roster spot to possibly acquire or sign a 3 pt shooter to come off the bench when the situation dictates it.

Giving up a future 1st isn't fun, but if BK could swing a deal like this it could possibly solidify our playoff hopes this year.
CAM
Rookie

Post#6 » by CAM » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:26 pm

I'd do it.
SnoBrdrRob
Junior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by SnoBrdrRob » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:56 pm

I dont think Seattle does this. We have a ton of youth, hardly any veterans. Thomas has been one of our stable players this year providing good defense and grabbing boards. He is a good person for our locker room and helps with our youngsters. I dont think trading for more youth helps. Plus, we really like Delonte West.

Return to Atlanta Hawks