Can We Afford Gilbert???

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

lunarblues
Analyst
And1: 0

Can We Afford Gilbert??? 

Post#1 » by lunarblues » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:11 pm

from a hypothetical point of view?

he is going to be a free agent after the end of the year and we still have a hole at the point guard position. let's say we pull an orlando magic and renounce the rights to josh childress. do you think that we would have what it takes to pursude him to join our ranks? he would be a big boost for the publicity of the organization so you know that the ASG would be on board.

i'm just asking the board, would you want gilbert areanas on the hawks and if so, what do you think we need to give up to get him. i'm talking trades, salary, the works. for example:

SNT josh childress (6 million dollar deal), zaza pachulia, acie law for gilbert arenas (13 million dollar deal)

that leaves atlanta with

gilbert arenas/anthony johnson*/tyron lue*/speedy claxton
joe johnson/salim stoudamire*
marvin williams/mario west
josh smith/solomon jones
al horford/sheldon williams/lorenzen wright*
plus a second round pick to work with
* - would have to be resigned

as for washington:

antonio daniels/acie law
deshawn stevenson/nick young
caron butler/josh childress
antwan jamison/zaza pachulia/darius songila
brendan haywood/andrey blantche/olezchy pechov?

plus they would have a first round pick to work with

we would be giving up the bench to washington, but we would have a much better starting lineup and still be able to keep our youth. i even think that washington would like the deal since it keeps the core of their group together, gives them one of the best benches in the league and gives them youth to develop as the starters start to decline.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#2 » by JoshB914 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:15 pm

That is a very interesting S&T that maybe we could pull off if Washington is high on IV. However, Arenas is going to get a gigantic contract and between Smoove, Gilbert, JJ and Marvin up for resigning we would be spending some serious money.

I'd rather go after a true PG in Calderon or see what we have in IV for next year. We have our scoring options set in JJ, Smoove, and Marvin (and to some extent Horford down the line). We just need someone that can get into the lane and find the open man.
lunarblues
Analyst

Post#3 » by lunarblues » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 pm

after this trade we would have to load up on cheap veteran talent (which is why i kept anthony johnson and the others on the roster) but it could be done. more than anything, our success would have really hinge on mario west. if he could pick up in the energy department where josh childress left off. then we would be in business. but this is very doable. there have to be some swingmen that could take his spot. we could even try to swing something for jarvis hayes. that's if we wants to come back home anyway.

also, technically we wouldn't be loading up on salary either. since we would be transfering over the money we would be giving to childress, zaza, and acie to gilbert. we would still be in the good graces of the cap.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by conleyorbust » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Acie would have to blow up post AS break or something. I'm think like 11 and 6 and earn the starting job for Washingto to even think about this. I still doubt it. I'm also of the opinion that Gilbert Arenas isn't worth what he will get paid, especially to this team. Don't get me wrong, the guy can ball with the best of them but he takes a ton of shots and has never really shone as a distributor. We already have a guy who can put up 25-6 in JJ, Gil may be a better scorer but he is also a point guard.

I agree with Josh that Jose Calderon would be a much better fit on this team for the money. He could set up our young guys without turning the ball over and his deadeye shot would keep defenses from keying in on Josh and Joe when they have the ball in their hands. Neither Jose or Gil are anything to write home about in terms of defense, Gil gives you a great end of shot clock weapon but the increase in scoring you get with him comes at the expense of scoring from other guys.

The fact is that scoring is highly valued in this league and Gilbert can definitely do that. I can't imagine a deal getting done without us giving up Joe, Josh, or Horford. I probably don't do it if I can get a different kind of pg for cheaper.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#5 » by evildallas » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm more interested in Jose Calderon 1st or Beno Udrih 2nd in free agency. However, Agent 0 brings marketing muscle and charisma to the lineup. The price structure on Agent 0 is greater. If I'm Washington, I'm not sure if I do a S&T with us being in the same division. If they think they aren't going to be able to resign him, I think they try to find a S&T partner in the West. If nothing else we should at least offer Gilbert the max (Washington can offer more) just to show our respect so he doesn't declare a blood feud on the franchise for dissing him.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#6 » by Skyhawk1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 pm

How does that work, Arenas opts out of his contact and is a RFA ? I mean, if we can S&T for him, that's what it looks like. Or will he be a FA, able to sign with anyone for less than the Wiz can give him ?
GO HAWKS.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#7 » by killbuckner » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm

He would be an unrestricted FA. He has also said that if he doesn't go back to the wizards then he would rather sign a cheap deal with a good team so he can win a championship.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by conleyorbust » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm

killbuckner wrote:He would be an unrestricted FA. He has also said that if he doesn't go back to the wizards then he would rather sign a cheap deal with a good team so he can win a championship.

Gilbert is a talker, I doubt he takes a cheap deal with any team and I don't know which contender is gonna risk their chemistry for him (although if he was willing to take a pay-cut, I can see him as an absolutely devastating sixth man)... that being said, there are other teams out there that will offer him as much money as he asks for and I don't think its in Atlanta's best interest to chase him if that's the case.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#9 » by killbuckner » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 am

Personally I think that talk is just him trying to get some leverage with the wizards. If Atlanta isn't a player in FA (which I doubt they will be) and the sixers don't chase him then the wizards would really be bidding against themselves. He would need the threat of signing with someone else to force a bigger contract with the wizards or to force a S&T.
Venables
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Venables » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:29 am

We're not getting Gilbert
Yi Jian Lian
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Yi Jian Lian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:19 am

u need a true big, not gilbert
evildallas
General Manager

Post#12 » by evildallas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:09 pm

If Childress is renounced, we could offer Arenas a max deal, but it would then take the roster to the luxury tax to resign Josh Smith and fill out the roster. While it is an interesting lineup and should increase attendance, it is a great risk because while Arenas is a scorer and charismatic star it is questionable if he improves those around him because of his playing style.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!

Return to Atlanta Hawks