ImageImage

Golden State Trade Exception

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Golden State Trade Exception 

Post#1 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:10 am

Golden State has a 2.1M dollar trade exception that expires Thursday. That means they can take on more salary in a trade than they have to ship out even though they are over the cap.

It'd be a last minute move, but would anyone be in favor of offering them Shelden Williams for one of the following:

Patrick O'Bryant (2.2M expiring) (straight up)
or
Kosta Perovic (1.8M per with another year on his deal) (straight up)
or
Austin Croshere (1.2M expiring) and a 2nd rounder.

It clear some cap space for the off season for us and might actually be able to contribute for them (rebounding, D) with the change of scenery. POB or Perovic would actually give us height on the bench to give a trial. Croshere could theoretically shoot the long ball in limited action and bang on the boards a little.

I suspect that Golden State would say no thanks, but I was curious if anyone still had hopes for Shelden here?
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,586

Post#2 » by dms269 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 am

I am still a Shelden fan. Minutes are his problem. 19 minutes in the indy game=10 rebounds and a block. 26 in the other indy game=7 rebounds and 2 blocks. The main problem with him is he is not able to develop a consistent rebounding period, but that is due to his minutes. When you play 25 minutes one game, 11 the next, 19 the next, 6 the next, then 11, you can't develop any consistency.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#3 » by Rip2137 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:59 pm

I think O'Bryant isn't nearly as bad as people think he is. He just doesn't fit in with Golden state. That said, you can have have him in the offseason...no need to trade for him.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#4 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm

dallas- that TPE can't be used to acquire Shelden Williams since he makes more than the exception. You can't combine a player salary and the exception to acquire a player that makes more than the exception. And if there is a Golden state trade I would think that Lue would be the player to get sent out. I think Golden state is in the market for a backup PG.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#5 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Okay, thanks for correcting me. They have another exemption from the Jason Richardson trade that I guess could be used to handle salary difference as long as the players make less than 9.9M?

I would have no problem with sending them both Lue and Shelden for a draft pick and filler to clear Shelden off the books. However I think they are planning to use that exception to make it easier to trade Pietrus. I'm not sure if Pietrus is the right guy to add to the roster.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#6 » by JoshB914 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:47 pm

uga_dawgs24 wrote:I am still a Shelden fan. Minutes are his problem. 19 minutes in the indy game=10 rebounds and a block. 26 in the other indy game=7 rebounds and 2 blocks. The main problem with him is he is not able to develop a consistent rebounding period, but that is due to his minutes. When you play 25 minutes one game, 11 the next, 19 the next, 6 the next, then 11, you can't develop any consistency.

Lost of guys do that and are just fine. Shelden just isn't any good. If he was he would be getting big minutes.

I would do that Croshere deal.

Return to Atlanta Hawks